PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Congresswoman shot in attempted assasination

Tyburn
01-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I saw it at the gym on the big TV...but didnt catch her name or anything, or why it happened...just that some young guy decided to try and kill her at some place where lots of people were seeing her or something and quite a few were killed, I think she was hurt but not killed.

if anyone knows...feel free to enlighten me...It was on mute so I cant really tell you much more then the above without research :laugh:

Crisco
01-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Sounds like a disturbed young kid decided to take a shot at her and everyone else around.

Pray for the families and injured.

J.B.
01-10-2011, 01:24 PM
It's a tragic situation, and the guy who did it is just another nutjob who shouldn't even have gotten arrested. He should have been clubbed to death and left in the desert for the vultures to feed on. Obviously it's horrible for everybody who is effected, but the worst part in my opinion is a 9 year old girl was shot and killed too. The little girl was born on 9/11/01, of all days.

Definitely praying for all those effected by this down in Tucson and all over the country.

Chuck
01-10-2011, 03:53 PM
I saw it at the gym on the big TV...but didnt catch her name or anything, or why it happened...just that some young guy decided to try and kill her at some place where lots of people were seeing her or something and quite a few were killed, I think she was hurt but not killed.

if anyone knows...feel free to enlighten me...It was on mute so I cant really tell you much more then the above without research :laugh:

You do know that non-mma websites exist on the internet right?? :)

Try www.google.com and type in ANY words related to the shooting. I'm sure you'll get your fill.

Miss Foxy
01-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Here you go Tyburn. http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/10/arizona-shooting-latest-developments-2/?hpt=T1
I spoke with my ex-husband and he's met her and her husband recently. He said her husband is a Navy Captain so she met a lot of the recruiters in the Phoenix/Tucson area.. :(

Chris F
01-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Most stories I have are most upset he had a semi automatic with an extended clip than they were about the victim. Here comes another round of assults on the 2nd amendment.

Crisco
01-10-2011, 06:40 PM
There's also a Democrat in NY who is trying to push legislation that makes it illegal to post threatening material about federal officials.

County Mike
01-10-2011, 06:42 PM
She's not bad looking either, for a politician.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2011/01/09/alg_gabrielle_giffords.jpg

Of course the anti-gun nuts will use this against the 2nd amendment.

Vizion
01-10-2011, 06:55 PM
It's a tragic situation, and the guy who did it is just another nutjob who shouldn't even have gotten arrested. He should have been clubbed to death and left in the desert for the vultures to feed on. A Christian response. Were he your brother would you be saying the same thing?

Definitely praying for all those effected by this down in Tucson and all over the country. Pray for him too. Your God loves him as well.

Miss Foxy
01-10-2011, 07:13 PM
A Christian response. Were he your brother would you be saying the same thing?

Pray for him too. Your God loves him as well.

True. But it's hard and I think normal to feel the anger that most people feel right now. This is sad and those victims did not deserve to die.. What's sickening me is the politics side of this. How heartless people sound....Guns? Really dead people including a 9yr old child.. Really and all that can be said is lets blame the liberals no let's blame the radical conservatives.. Totally sickens me..

CAVEMAN
01-10-2011, 07:19 PM
True. But it's hard and I think normal to feel the anger that most people feel right now. This is sad and those victims did not deserve to die.. What's sickening me is the politics side of this. How heartless people sound....Guns? Really dead people including a 9yr old child.. Really and all that can be said is lets blame the liberals no let's blame the radical conservatives.. Totally sickens me..

The only thing dems and republicans like to do. Your right, it is sickening!

J.B.
01-10-2011, 07:35 PM

If my brother did that I'd bury son of a #### myself...

I do pray for him. I pray he finds God and that God shows mercy on his soul, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be exterminated from this planet for the crimes he committed.

Tyburn
01-10-2011, 07:54 PM
but the worst part in my opinion is a 9 year old girl was shot and killed too. The little girl was born on 9/11/01, of all days.

:blink: oh...thats creepy kinda :unsure: I will pray for all concerned...but can someone tell me why this guy targetted this woman...is she contriversial...did she do something that has impacted and upset a lot of people...or what???

Tyburn
01-10-2011, 07:59 PM
You do know that non-mma websites exist on the internet right?? :)

Try www.google.com and type in ANY words related to the shooting. I'm sure you'll get your fill.

I said without research. I didnt have time...I thought it was worth noting...funny how I manage to start threads of US news before any of the Americans isnt it Chuck...Come on! at least I try :laugh::ashamed:

J.B.
01-10-2011, 08:01 PM
:blink: oh...thats creepy kinda :unsure: I will pray for all concerned...but can someone tell me why this guy targetted this woman...is she contriversial...did she do something that has impacted and upset a lot of people...or what???

She is kind of a middle-of-the-road Democrat who irritated people on both sides.

The guy who did it was a 22 year old nutjob who was fascinated with the 2012 apocalypse and a loser in high-school. It was a senseless act of violence by a rogue moron who now gets to have what will probably be a lengthy and costly trial at the expense of taxpayers.

Miss Foxy
01-10-2011, 08:03 PM
She is kind of a middle-of-the-road Democrat who irritated people on both sides.

The guy who did it was a 22 year old nutjob who was fascinated with the 2012 apocalypse and a loser in high-school. It was a senseless act of violence by a rogue moron who now gets to have what will probably be a lengthy and costly trial at the expense of taxpayers.

I guess he met her a few years ago and asked her a question and didn't get the response he wanted so his hate for her festered in his sick mind.

Bonnie
01-10-2011, 08:04 PM
If my brother did that I've very son of a #### myself

It's just tragic all the way around when this sick stuff happens especially when there are children involved. :cry:

Tyburn
01-10-2011, 08:04 PM

Does Arizona have the death penalty :huh:

The whole thing is really very horrible :sad: He's thrown away his life, She is left fighting for hers, others have lost theirs, and people will now debate once again the control of arms...which whilst valid...isnt really what America should be talking about right now

J.B.
01-10-2011, 08:08 PM

Yes

Tyburn
01-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Yes

Good. Then Hang him

J.B.
01-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Good. Then Hang him

My feelings exactly.

NateR
01-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Yep, the kid is clearly guilty, so speed him through a trial and get him quickly and quietly executed before the end of January. That's the only solution now. Otherwise we risk creating another Timothy McVeigh type personality where the murderer becomes the center focus of the media and the victims get forgotten.

He should never have been arrested to begin with, he should have just been shot on sight.

Tyburn
01-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Yep, the kid is clearly guilty, so speed him through a trial and get him quickly and quietly executed before the end of January. That's the only solution now. Otherwise we risk creating another Timothy McVeigh type personality where the murderer becomes the center focus of the media and the victims get forgotten.

He should never have been arrested to begin with, he should have just been shot on sight.

I'm suprised he didnt turn the gun on himself...I think given half a chance...but isnt it true some old lady stole his extra clip of Ammo or something :laugh:

I tried to make sense of that on mute...on the TV....you can tell I was SO concentrating on my workout this morning :unsure-1::laugh:

Miss Foxy
01-10-2011, 08:36 PM
My feelings exactly. Mine too.

Miss Foxy
01-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm suprised he didnt turn the gun on himself...I think given half a chance...but isnt it true some old lady stole his extra clip of Ammo or something :laugh:

I tried to make sense of that on mute...on the TV....you can tell I was SO concentrating on my workout this morning :unsure-1::laugh:
He didnt because he's nothing but a coward!

Miss Foxy
01-10-2011, 08:48 PM

They have the same attorney!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110110/ap_on_re_us/us_congresswoman_shot

adamt
01-10-2011, 08:55 PM

if more people carried sidearms, he would have been

maybe we should make carrying REQUIRED

also what does any of this have to do the tea party, i haven't seen much tv lately but they were yapping about something about the tea party last night on the nightly news on nbc

J.B.
01-10-2011, 08:59 PM

I agree 100%

Bonnie
01-10-2011, 10:00 PM
He didnt because he's nothing but a coward!

I agree! I know they've said he's got mental/emotional problems, but he obviously had enough mental capacity to plan this thing and carry it out!

Bonnie
01-10-2011, 10:45 PM
if more people carried sidearms, he would have been

maybe we should make carrying REQUIRED

also what does any of this have to do the tea party, i haven't seen much tv lately but they were yapping about something about the tea party last night on the nightly news on nbc

Just saw Jack Cafferty giving his commentary on CNN blaming Sarah Palin and her "inflammatory rhetoric". :rolleyes: He brought up something she said, "don't retreat, just reload"; she said that on her Alaska show--I happened to see that episode and she was speaking to her daughter, Bristol, when they were out target shooting! Talk about rhetoric, does that ****hole and all the others like him stop and think about all the hate-filled crap they continue to spew about her and that maybe some nutcase could take what they're saying and go out and target her and her family?! :angry:

Bunch of hypocrites! :punch:

I changed the channel. :laugh:

Fox is talking about this...how people are blaming others for this guy's actions...and how it's totally irresponsible and disgraceful. I totally agree!

logrus
01-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Im surprised it took you guys so long to post about it...

adamt
01-11-2011, 12:29 AM

i'm surprised tyburn posted this and posted nothing about jens fighting again in march in chicago

are media outlets reporting the fact that giffords is jewish, and the schizo that shot her listed his favorite book as mein kampf

or how bad it was for them to report her as dead when she wasn't

adamt
01-11-2011, 12:31 AM

doesn't matter really

he shot a federal judge, so he can be tried federally too and the feds have the death penalty

rearnakedchoke
01-11-2011, 01:05 AM

if it was a republican that was killed it would have been posted right away and all you woulda heard was how liberals are sick bastards and unamerican to kill an american political figure blah blah blah ..

but my prayers are with all those who were involved in this ... hopefully this terrorist bastard gets a beatdown where ever he is ..

adamt
01-11-2011, 01:47 AM
if it was a republican that was killed it would have been posted right away and all you woulda heard was how liberals are sick bastards and unamerican to kill an american political figure blah blah blah ..

but my prayers are with all those who were involved in this ... hopefully this terrorist bastard gets a beatdown where ever he is ..

no if it was a republican you would have never heard about it from the mainstream media

and if word did leak out it would have been tainted with innuendos of how it was "deserved" and brought upon by their own idealogy

Tyburn
01-11-2011, 11:52 AM
i'm surprised tyburn posted this and posted nothing about jens fighting again in march in chicago

He isnt fighting in March...he fights on the 22nd of this month at XFO38 actually :tongue0011:

Tyburn
01-11-2011, 11:52 AM
doesn't matter really

he shot a federal judge, so he can be tried federally too and the feds have the death penalty

oh...I didnt know that :ninja:

cubsfan47
01-11-2011, 12:45 PM
The coverage yesterday in the NY Times was dreadful; but then that is to be expected isn't it? :rolleyes:

His former classmates have characterized him as a pot smoking leftwing nut job. So he was one of the left's own? Or does anyone really know?

It turns out that the murdered congress person was a pistol shooter herself. So it's going to be hard for either side to point fingers.
Doesn't change the tragic effect on others.:cry:

Crisco
01-11-2011, 01:25 PM
I've heard the liberal radio stations talking about how illegal immigration is tied into this?

The mexican defense league or whatever the hell it's called is spewing on about.

by the way illegal immigrants are now to be called guest workers according to these people.

Miss Foxy
01-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Who gives a flying f*ck what political party this guy followed, and furthermore what any radio or news media says. Our country is failing big time...Innocent lives are lost and all we can resort to is pointing fingers? No wonder our children are so confused.. During this time we should be mourning as a nation...

Bonnie
01-11-2011, 05:11 PM
I've heard the liberal radio stations talking about how illegal immigration is tied into this?

The mexican defense league or whatever the hell it's called is spewing on about.

by the way illegal immigrants are now to be called guest workers according to these people.

:rolleyes:

Hmmm...makes me wonder what the defender of illegals league, our President, all the politicos, and everyone else who keeps defending and promoting illegal immigration in this country would be saying if this shooter had been an illegal?

Bonnie
01-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Who gives a flying f*ck what political party this guy followed, and furthermore what any radio or news media says. Our country is failing big time...Innocent lives are lost and all we can resort to is pointing fingers? No wonder our children are so confused.. During this time we should be mourning as a nation...

Anytime a politician, political party or certain interest group can take advantage of a bad situation or incident (meaning make it work for their cause or to gain favor with the potential "voter"), you can bet your next breath on it, they are going to be playing the blame game. :wink:

NateR
01-11-2011, 05:47 PM
There was an article on Yahoo! last night claiming that Sarah Palin was to blame for the shooting because she had a map on her website that put a crosshairs graphic over Giffords district during the 2010 elections. It fails to mention that there were crosshair graphics on many districts on her campaign map; but of course, in the Liberals' desperate rush to blame all Conservatives, because they are getting their asses handed to them in the elections, the media conveniently ignores that fact.

To try to take a tragedy like this and twist it in order to advance your own political agenda is just the ultimate in scumbaggery.

NateR
01-11-2011, 05:50 PM
:rolleyes:

Hmmm...makes me wonder what the defender of illegals league, our President, all the politicos, and everyone else who keeps defending and promoting illegal immigration in this country would be saying if this shooter had been an illegal?

It would have been swept under the carpet just like all the other murders, kidnapping, thefts, etc. committed by illegal immigrants. If the story did start to get attention, then the media would have tried to make it sound like it was Giffords' fault for provoking this person to murder.

rearnakedchoke
01-11-2011, 05:54 PM
it wasn't crosshairs but a surveyors symbol ... either way, Palin doesn't do herself any favours when it comes to this as people are going to bring up her fascination with guns (shooting a caribou on her show) and her using the phrase "don't retreat, reload" in the past ...

NateR
01-11-2011, 06:02 PM
it wasn't crosshairs but a surveyors symbol ... either way, Palin doesn't do herself any favours when it comes to this as people are going to bring up her fascination with guns (shooting a caribou on her show) and her using the phrase "don't retreat, reload" in the past ...

Here's the article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110110/ts_yblog_theticket/giffords-tragedy-could-be-a-defining-moment-for-palin

This Holly Bailey person, who wrote the article, is obviously an idiot. Fortunately, based on most of the comments posted under the article, people can see right through her stupidity. It's interesting that the ability to leave comments has now been closed, BTW.

Hunting on television is not a big deal. Only anti-hunting nuts would see it as some sort of provocation to violence.

Chris F
01-11-2011, 06:09 PM

The Christian response is that the governemnt does not yeild the sword in vain. After a jury finds him guilty they should send him to his maker. Lethal injection is to easy. I vote they return to dram and quartering, but PETA would probably whine about that.

flo
01-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Palin doesn't do herself any favours when it comes to this as people are going to bring up her fascination with guns (shooting a caribou on her show) and her using the phrase "don't retreat, reload" in the past ...

You mean like Matt is going to be on a shooting show?

Please stop. The only person resonsible for this tragedy is the nutcase who is now revelling in the publicity/notoriety.

Shame on people making this political. Miss Foxy has it absolutley right.

Miss Foxy
01-11-2011, 06:18 PM

Please stop. The only person resonsible for this tragedy is the nutcase who is now revelling in the publicity/notoriety.

Except my potty mouth :laugh: I am so sad for the lives lost and the lives impacted by what they witnessed.

rearnakedchoke
01-11-2011, 06:31 PM

i have no problem with and never had problem with hunting on tv or hunting for that matter ... even for a political figure ... but like i said, she just gives people ammo (no pun intended) to work with .. i have a feeling, when it comes down to it, the republican voters will stay clear of her when and if she plans to run for anything ..

flo
01-11-2011, 06:54 PM
OK, RNC; I misunderstood your comment. Yes, the voters will decide. Joe Manchin (D-W. VA) ran campaign ads of himself shooting/hunting last summer; he won his seat by a VERY narrow margin.

Pima County needs to fire their sheriff. Or at least put a big piece of duct tape over his mouth.

Miss Foxy
01-11-2011, 06:58 PM
OK, RNC; I misunderstood your comment. Yes, the voters will decide. Joe Manchin (D-W. VA) ran campaign ads of himself shooting/hunting last summer; he won his seat by a VERY narrow margin.

Pima County needs to fire their sheriff. Or at least put a big piece of duct tape over his mouth.

Which one Dupnik or Villaseņor??

Tyburn
01-11-2011, 07:57 PM
:laugh: you cant blame Sarah Palin for this!! thats stupidity.

The person to blame was that stupid nutter with the gun...and possibly whoever was supposed to be protecting the Congresswoman

Its not the Republicans fault...Niether is it Barack Obamas Fault

honnestly...if people hadnt of died...the connections made by some in the American sphere through this would be quite laughable

Perhaps its George Washingtons Fault...I'm sure this would never had happened in an English Collonie :rolleyes:

flo
01-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Which one Dupnik or Villaseņor??

Kick Dupnik out, elect Villasenor :-)

Play The Man
01-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Michelle Malkin has an excellent compendium of many of the violent left/liberal attacks on Palin, Bush and others over the past decade. It is worth a look to provide some perspective. Sarah Palin was hanged in effigy in West Hollywood; had her e-mail hacked by the son of a Democrat politician; was the subject of an art exhibit showing the artist aiming a rifle at her head; had a journalist stalk her by moving in next door to her home; had bumper stickers and graffiti stencils made of her to "Abort Palin"; had a comedian wish that she was raped by a gang of black men in New York; had internet websites mock her child with Down's Syndrome, etc., etc. etc.

http://http://michellemalkin.com/2011/01/10/the-progressive-climate-of-hate-an-illustrated-primer-2000-2010/ (http://michellemalkin.com/2011/01/10/the-progressive-climate-of-hate-an-illustrated-primer-2000-2010/)

Miss Foxy
01-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Michelle Malkin has an excellent compendium of many of the violent left/liberal attacks on Palin, Bush and others over the past decade. It is worth a look to provide some perspective. Sarah Palin was hanged in effigy in West Hollywood; had her e-mail hacked by the son of a Democrat politician; was the subject of an art exhibit showing the artist aiming a rifle at her head; had a journalist stalk her by moving in next door to her home; had bumper stickers and graffiti stencils made of her to "Abort Palin"; had a comedian wish that she was raped by a gang of black men in New York; had internet websites mock her child with Down's Syndrome, etc., etc. etc.

http://http://michellemalkin.com/2011/01/10/the-progressive-climate-of-hate-an-illustrated-primer-2000-2010/ (http://michellemalkin.com/2011/01/10/the-progressive-climate-of-hate-an-illustrated-primer-2000-2010/)

That right there makes me soooo mad!!!!!!!!!!! For anyone to involve a child for that much deserves a judo chop to the freakin' head! :punch:

Miss Foxy
01-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Kick Dupnik out, elect Villasenor :-)

Word!! Meli Villaseņor!!!

J.B.
01-12-2011, 12:35 AM
That right there makes me soooo mad!!!!!!!!!!! For anyone to involve a child for that much deserves a judo chop to the freakin' head! :punch:

I started a thread a while back about an interaction I had with one of Chicago's top sports radio personalities, Terry Boers, and how distasteful he was about Palin and her children on air. He was ripping Palin and making all sorts of implied sexual jokes on air about her kids and I sent a text message into the show and told him his was being a jackass and asked how he would feel if that were his daughter...

To my surprise, he responded back to me via text and said that he didn't care because her daughter was "18 years old, which makes her fair game, and she's a "whore"."...

I sent another text back and asked him to man up and say that on the air if thats how he REALLY felt...to which he replied that he "couldn't" do that...

Really big man...:rolleyes:

flo
01-12-2011, 12:56 AM
I started a thread a while back about an interaction I had with one of Chicago's top sports radio personalities, Terry Boers, and how distasteful he was about Palin and her children on air. He was ripping Palin and making all sorts of implied sexual jokes on air about her kids and I sent a text message into the show and told him his was being a jackass and asked how he would feel if that were his daughter...

To my surprise, he responded back to me via text and said that he didn't care because her daughter was "18 years old, which makes her fair game, and she's a "whore"."...

I sent another text back and asked him to man up and say that on the air if thats how he REALLY felt...to which he replied that he "couldn't" do that...

Good for you for taking a stand, though, JB - and calling him out on his abuse.

Thanks for the link, PTM. Michelle hits the nail on the head, as always. I couldn't stomach looking at all of it; it's just disgusting.

Bonnie
01-12-2011, 03:46 AM

She doesn't have a "fascination" with guns. She grew up hunting with her dad who taught her how to hunt and shoot. I've watched the show and saw the episode where her, her dad and a family friend went caribou hunting; what they shot they took for the meat for food to use over the winter. It's no different than people who go deer hunting for the deer meat to eat. So if she's doing anything wrong shooting and hunting, I guess they better start calling all male hunters and gun lovers on the carpet and making them out to be a red-eyed horned devil too! Especially any of her fellow politicians (democrat and republican) who love their guns and love to hunt.

Sarah Palin could have a halo and angel wings and they would still go after her. Her biggest problem is she's got that pesky W-O before the "man", and she's got bigger balls to boot too! :wink:

flo
01-12-2011, 03:53 AM
She doesn't have a "fascination" with guns. She grew up hunting with her dad who taught her how to hunt and shoot. I've watched the show and saw the episode where her, her dad and a family friend went caribou hunting; what they shot they took for the meat for food over the winter. It's no different than people who go deer hunting for the deer meat to eat. So if she's doing anything wrong shooting and hunting, I guess they better start calling all male hunters and gun lovers on the carpet and making them out to be a red-eyed horned devil too! Especially any of her fellow politicians (democrat and republican) who love their guns and love to hunt.

Sarah Palin could have a halo and angel wings and they would still go after her. Her biggest problem is she's got that pesky W-O before the "man", and she's got bigger balls to boot too! :wink:
:)

Bonnie Rawks.

Bonnie
01-12-2011, 06:14 AM
I saw this story on Greta tonight. I've seen this church before in the news protesting at funerals. I think these people are disgusting and I'm glad Arizona moved so quickly to thwart them. They are planning to protest at the 9 yr.-old little girl's funeral.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/11/arizonans-rally-prevent-westboro-church-disruption-shooting-victims-funerals/

Arizonans Rally to Prevent Westboro Church Disruption of Shooting Victims' Funerals By Judson Berger

Published January 11, 2011
FoxNews.com
Reuters

Arizona residents are locking arms to stop the Westboro Baptist Church from disrupting the funerals for victims of Saturday's shooting in Tucson, with bikers and others organizing a massive counter-protest and state lawmakers fast-tracking a bill to hamstring the group.

The Kansas-based Westboro church is notorious for showing up at the funerals of dead soldiers and other high-profile gatherings wielding anti-gay signs.

But when the church announced it would picket the funeral Thursday for the 9-year-old girl fatally shot over the weekend at a Tucson grocery store by a gunman who allegedly killed five others and injured 14 others attending a town-hall session by Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, Tucson- and Phoenix-area residents started organizing immediately.

They may not be able to stop them, but they plan on giving the grieving family as much of a buffer as possible between the protesters and the service.

"It makes me sick to my stomach," said Glen Littell, who's bringing a pack of bikers from the Phoenix Motorcycle Rider Group to Tucson on Thursday. "They're a stench from a slaughterhouse. We're just going to block the stench so the family can catch their breath."

Arizona state lawmakers approved emergency legislation that would order protesters to stay 300 feet away from the funeral. The bill passed unanimously in the House and the Senate and Gov. Jan Brewer signed the bill into law Tuesday night.

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, the lead sponsor on the bill, said in an e-mail to colleagues before the bill was passed that the plan was to protect the victims' families from the "hateful protest" from the Westboro Baptist Church.

She said she has the support of the Senate president and Gov. Jan Brewer, and the bill will go into effect "immediately" once it's signed.

"It's gonna happen," Sinema said. The senator said she was "real upset" after learning that the Westboro church planned on protesting but had a visceral reaction after reading their press release and sprung into action.

"It is the most disgusting thing I ever read in my entire life," she told FoxNews.com. "I literally threw up after I read it. … I'm like, 'I'm gonna fix this.'"

Littell said his riders are not looking for any violent confrontations. But he told FoxNews.com that Arizona bikers are going to do "whatever we have to do" to cordon off the family from the protests. A group called the Patriot Guard Riders often does this when the Westboro church pickets military funerals, but Littell said that group is not traveling to Tucson, so "we're stepping in."

"Our sole purpose will be to allow that family some dignity and respect … without having to worry about the a--holes," he said.

It's not clear whether the Westboro church intends to picket the funerals of all the victims of Saturday's attack. One press release from the group declared, "Thank God for the shooter," and said the group would picket the "funerals." Another release announced plans only for the protest on Thursday.

"God sent the shooter to deal with idolatrous America," the group said in a statement.

The Westboro church, led by Fred Phelps, believes that tragic events like the deaths of soldiers are punishment for tolerance of homosexuality.

The Supreme Court last fall heard arguments in a case brought against Phelps by the father of a soldier killed in Iraq whose funeral was protested by the group in 2006. The father, Albert Snyder, had won a multimillion-dollar verdict against the church, claiming invasion of privacy and intentional infliction of emotional distress. The court is expected to issue a ruling soon on whether free speech can be curbed at specific locations and events.

Sinema said the bill she was introducing is modeled on an Ohio law that has withstood court challenge. It would technically apply to protesters at any Arizona funeral, though Sinema was clear that it's directed at Westboro.

She said she hopes the protesters and counter-protesters avoid any violence at the service. Meanwhile, several grassroots groups have popped up on Facebook calling on Tucson residents to intervene.

"We will create a wall of humanity to allow the families who've lost their love ones to hold their funerals in peace, held with dignity, and surrounded in love," one of the Facebook groups says in a statement.

Another calls for a "peaceful protest" of the church at the funeral Thursday for 9-year-old Christina Green.

Littell has notified the Pima County Sheriff's Department and has reached out to several other biker groups notifying them of their planned presence at Green's funeral. He crossed his fingers that the Hells Angels would join them.

"Nothing says stand back and be silent like a Hells Angels presence," he said.

Littell added that if the church moves on to picket other funerals, his riders will follow.

"We're getting word there's gonna be a pretty large presence of bikers," he said. "Word's spreading. And spreading quickly."

rearnakedchoke
01-12-2011, 02:04 PM
She doesn't have a "fascination" with guns. She grew up hunting with her dad who taught her how to hunt and shoot. I've watched the show and saw the episode where her, her dad and a family friend went caribou hunting; what they shot they took for the meat for food to use over the winter. It's no different than people who go deer hunting for the deer meat to eat. So if she's doing anything wrong shooting and hunting, I guess they better start calling all male hunters and gun lovers on the carpet and making them out to be a red-eyed horned devil too! Especially any of her fellow politicians (democrat and republican) who love their guns and love to hunt.

like i said before, i have no problem with her hunting and shootin, but she put that info out there, and the media will use it to prove a point ...

Bonnie
01-12-2011, 02:55 PM
like i said before, i have no problem with her hunting and shootin, but she put that info out there, and the media will use it to prove a point ...

I understand what you're saying RNC. Nothing against you, I was just using your post. :laugh: I understand if people don't like what she stands for and don't want to vote for her; but they haven't just left it at attacking her politics. They've gone after her way beyond that and included her children. During the election, the media and hollywood/tv did everything they could to make her look like an empty-headed female. I didn't see them going after Obama or McCain (the men :wink:) on that level and to that extent. In fact, it was and still is a "hands off" policy where Obama's children are concerned. As a woman I find these kind of tactics insulting and infuriating especially when I see women doing that to another woman.

I was just pointing out that she's not doing anything wrong or out of the norm by the way she lives, and how she grew up living in Alaska than any other person who grew up shooting and hunting. So she shows us what her life is like back in Wasilla and the beauty of Alaska, yeah, that's just awful, damaging stuff for the media to use against her. :rolleyes:

This is all about doing as much damage as they can to any political hopes she has of running in 2012. That's their point! Trying to blame her for what happened in Arizona is just more of the same crap.

Miss Foxy
01-12-2011, 03:07 PM

What a SOB!! Sounds like a slob!
Kudos to you for standing up to him!

Miss Foxy
01-12-2011, 03:08 PM

I blame it cause she's beautiful!! People always hate the pretty gals first!! Its to be expected..:rolleyes:

Primadawn
01-12-2011, 03:52 PM
I saw this story on Greta tonight. I've seen this church before in the news protesting at funerals. I think these people are disgusting and I'm glad Arizona moved so quickly to thwart them. They are planning to protest at the 9 yr.-old little girl's funeral.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/11/arizonans-rally-prevent-westboro-church-disruption-shooting-victims-funerals/

I saw that too Bonnie. The fact that this group of people call themselves a "church" is disgusting to me. Glad Arizona is moving to do something about it legally--but something should have been done long before now.

adamt
01-12-2011, 04:43 PM
I saw that too Bonnie. The fact that this group of people call themselves a "church" is disgusting to me. Glad Arizona is moving to do something about it legally--but something should have been done long before now.

the paradox is that it's hard to stifle the first amendment right to free speech, where do you draw the line?

flo
01-12-2011, 06:32 PM
the paradox is that it's hard to stifle the first amendment right to free speech, where do you draw the line?

Exactly, that's the quandary. I think this is one of the few times I'd be on board with stifling someone's right to congregate/free speech.

flo
01-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Not to mention I'd personally like to kick the shyte out of them.

J.B.
01-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Exactly, that's the quandary. I think this is one of the few times I'd be on board with stifling someone's right to congregate/free speech.

Or better yet, just let all the cops look the other way while a few guys put a beating on Fred Phelps and his homeboys.

Bonnie
01-12-2011, 07:51 PM
I blame it cause she's beautiful!! People always hate the pretty gals first!! Its to be expected..:rolleyes:

That too! :laugh:

Beauty, brains and balls...they just can't stand it! :laugh:

Tyburn
01-12-2011, 08:04 PM

:laugh:

Bonnie
01-12-2011, 08:06 PM

I believe the guy talking with Greta was a state legislator. He said they had never acted as quickly or passed anything as fast as they did this. They looked at what other states had used and passed in this same situation.

Apparently there is a law or something about "time and place" regarding our "right to free speech". This group isn't supposed to come within 300 feet of where the funeral is taking place and won't be allowed to protest one hour before and after the funeral. Also, lots of people outraged by this are supposed to show up and form like a human blockade/shield between these vultures and the grieving family. :cool:

Miss Foxy
01-12-2011, 08:09 PM
I believe the guy talking with Greta was a state legislator. He said they had never acted as quickly or passed anything as fast as they did this. They looked at what other states had used and passed in this same situation.

Apparently there is a law or something about "time and place" regarding our "right to free speech". This group isn't supposed to come within 300 feet of where the funeral is taking place and won't be allowed to protest one hour before and after the funeral. Also, lots of people outraged by this are supposed to show up and form like a human blockade/shield between these vultures and the grieving family. :cool:

Yeah they are gonna have angel wings to shield the funeral.. This is so sad. I cannot imagine burying my relative and having people protest. I literally would go off the deep end..

Miss Foxy
01-12-2011, 08:10 PM

I got the same problem..That's why either you love me or hate me.. Never in between.. I used to not care for Sarah, but there's nothing for me to hate on her for.. I can look up to her..

Bonnie
01-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Or better yet, just let all the cops look the other way while a few guys put a beating on Fred Phelps and his homeboys.

Why can't these crazy nut job shooters ever show up at one of their rallys; you know, make it a hate-on-hate crime. :ninja:

:laugh:

:winking0071:

flo
01-12-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm glad they're planning a human shield. That's really the best way to handle these hateful morons. Like Country Mike said, (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=147901&postcount=12) they WANT someone to attack them so they can sue - and for the resulting publicity they would garner.

(Although I personally would enjoy seeing some a$$-kicking of the Phelps bunch...) :Whistle:

flo
01-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Some one needs to alert El Matador...

:ninja:

Tyburn
01-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah they are gonna have angel wings to shield the funeral.. This is so sad. I cannot imagine burying my relative and having people protest. I literally would go off the deep end..

:ninja: I would give the media false information about where and when the funeral will be :ninja:

Tyburn
01-12-2011, 08:18 PM

:happydancing:

Miss Foxy
01-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Some one needs to alert El Matador...

:ninja:

:wub: Thanks Flo.. Now I'm all hot!!

Tyburn
01-12-2011, 08:19 PM
:wub: Thanks Flo.. Now I'm all hot!!

:rolleyes: calm down dear!!! :laugh: has anyone even heard of Roger in the last ten odd months :blink:

Miss Foxy
01-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Why can't these crazy nut job shooters ever show up at one of their rallys; you know, make it a hate-on-hate crime. :ninja:

I love when you speak the truth Bonnie!! :happydancing:

flo
01-12-2011, 08:22 PM

Wouldn't *that* be refreshing?

flo
01-12-2011, 08:23 PM
:rolleyes: calm down dear!!! :laugh: has anyone even heard of Roger in the last ten odd months :blink:

No, so he must be rested up and ready for another baddie beat-down...

BamaGrits84
01-12-2011, 09:12 PM
I haven't read all the comments on this so forgive me if someone has already mentioned it, but did anyone see where the church that protest the funerals on soldiers is going to protest near the funer for the 9 year old killed? It makes me sick that anyone who claim to be standing up for Christian beliefs by using hateful means. Clearly this church does not think Jesus was serious when He told the desciples the way to world will know you is by your love for other. Love doesn't mean accepting sin, but standing up for what is right doesn't mean spewing hate either.

Chuck
01-13-2011, 03:23 AM
I haven't read all the comments on this so forgive me if someone has already mentioned it, but did anyone see where the church that protest the funerals on soldiers is going to protest near the funer for the 9 year old killed? It makes me sick that anyone who claim to be standing up for Christian beliefs by using hateful means. Clearly this church does not think Jesus was serious when He told the desciples the way to world will know you is by your love for other. Love doesn't mean accepting sin, but standing up for what is right doesn't mean spewing hate either.

We're already talking about it here: http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6699

Bonnie
01-13-2011, 03:41 AM

Totally agree. :)

I posted an article about it a few pages back, Bama, but SW did post a thread (which Chuck linked) where they're talking specifically about this church.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
01-17-2011, 04:31 PM

I have suspected for awhile now that most of her female haters hate her cuase she's pretty and sucessful on her own term's! As for the killing,The only person responsible is the piece of garbage that actually done the killing! But the left can't seem to help playing the blame game. Just like the lesbo that has decided to call Palins younger daghter fat!