PDA

View Full Version : Hughes vs Serra at UFC 98

Quell
03-04-2009, 04:09 AM
Haven't seen this posted yet: Link (http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=18310)

It's a grudge match that has boiled for close to two years, and finally, on Saturday, May 23rd, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, former UFC welterweight champions Matt Hughes and Matt Serra will meet on the undercard of the Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir heavyweight championship bout that headlines UFC 98

WAR HUGHES!!!!

Start up the war machine!!

NateR
03-04-2009, 04:17 AM
I guess it's official now. :cool:

Boomer
03-04-2009, 04:18 AM
WARRRRRRRRRRRRR MATTTTTTT!!!

MattHughesRocks
03-04-2009, 04:27 AM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Matt%20Hughes/mattyells.gif

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Matt%20Hughes/MattHughessupport.gif

:jumping0045: :jumping0045: :jumping0045: :jumping0045: :jumping0045:

Moose
03-04-2009, 05:33 AM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Matt%20Hughes/mattyells.gif

I would suck as a lip reader. Could I get an assist?

VCURamFan
03-04-2009, 05:36 AM
"_____ was scared for the first minute of that fight."

MattHughesRocks
03-04-2009, 05:37 AM
Doesnt matter what he's saying it's how he looks saying it! I'm scared of him! :scared0011:
WAR MATT! :w00t:

( I have no idea either :unsure-1: )

I would suck as a lip reader. Could I get an assist?

VCURamFan
03-04-2009, 05:38 AM
Doesnt matter what he's saying it's how he looks saying it! I'm scared of him! :scared0011:

( I have no idea either :unsure-1: )Maybe if you read my post you'd have a better idea.:Whistle::laugh:

MattHughesRocks
03-04-2009, 05:46 AM
No, it'll ruin my fantasy I'm sure :wink:

Maybe if you read my post you'd have a better idea.:Whistle::laugh:

billwilliams70
03-04-2009, 08:56 AM
That's fantastic news. I really hope that I'll get to see it.......it's a few weeks before I leave here.

Later.

Primadawn
03-04-2009, 11:41 AM

( I have no idea either :unsure-1: )

+1

Spiritwalker
03-04-2009, 12:24 PM
The walk out music starts....

Goldberg says.. and it 100% correct.... "This place is electric!!!"

Rogan says... "I can't hear my self think" (while the crowd is loud.. he is stoned)

/Bruce Buffer Vioce...

:frantics:

... and in the blue corner.. a man who needs no introduction.. (the crowd in now going freakin nuts!!)

.. with a mixed martial arts record of 43-7 (the forum members begin to make the "we're not worthy" motions in the crowd)..

....the most dominate champion in UFC History....

(CHEERS)

.... the 9x UFC WW Champion,

(people stomping their feet!!)

:frantics:

MATT Hughes!!!

:punch: :punch:

And in the red corner...

:scared0015:

Matt Serra pees in his cup a little bit... :scared0011:

Spiritwalker
03-04-2009, 12:50 PM
'Page and Jardine are headlining on Sat.. But Hughes/Serra gets undercard??

should be co-main at least IMO

KevinD
03-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I don't care if its anywhere on the card I am just excited we are finally going to see this fight. I hope Matt's knee is 100%, I hope he has a great training camp and I hope I don't get an ulcer from all the anxiety I will have leading up to and watching this fight.

WAR HUGHES!!!!!!

Crisco
03-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Matt Hughes on the undercard? That has to be a mistake...

Perhaps they ment to write maincard or ment not a main event?

jignpig
03-04-2009, 02:29 PM
been busy with family stuff and just read it!!!!

war matt!!

MattHughesRocks
03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Mir and Lesner are the main. Matt said he was happy to not be a main so he gets to get it done and finish the night watching the rest of the fights :laugh:
I have to say...I agree! :w00t:

Matt Hughes on the undercard? That has to be a mistake...

Perhaps they ment to write maincard or ment not a main event?

mikthehick
03-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Matt knows he's good, and it'll be cool that this fight is only about destroying the evil Serra....

hehehe

Crisco
03-04-2009, 04:02 PM
My beef is not really with him not being a main event. It's the possibility of him being on the possibly untelevised portion of the undercard.

Blmfighter
03-04-2009, 05:54 PM
I believe that any fight on the card that is not the main event is called the undercard. This fight will be on TV.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
03-04-2009, 06:20 PM
It would be nice if Hughes embassed Serra by completely dominating him and winning in the first round!

Jonlion
03-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Be in no doubt, this fight will be on the main PPV, they spent a Ultimate Fighter promoting it.

However and it doesnt mean nothing, the fight cannot be as important or the main card over a Title fight. That is always number 1.

However as i say, that doesn't mean it isnt the greatest fight onn the card or the most exciting!

Its all yours Matt, Good Luck!

Bonnie
03-04-2009, 06:41 PM
It will be interesting to see who comes out on the Mir/Lesnar fight but...

For me, this one, is ALL about MATT!!! :punch:

NateR
03-04-2009, 06:41 PM
" Dan was scared for the first minute of that fight."

fixed

VCURamFan
03-04-2009, 07:08 PM
fixedThanks. I couldn't quite tell which one it was.

pistol-pete
03-04-2009, 07:42 PM
War MATT HUGHES!

rearnakedchoke
03-05-2009, 12:06 AM
I know matt is not a sadistic dude, but i see him punishing serra for 2.5 rounds before winning via my namesake ... RNC .... who wants a sig bet on this

VCURamFan
03-05-2009, 12:08 AM
I know matt is not a sadistic dude, but i see him punishing serra for 2.5 rounds before winning via my namesake ... RNC .... who wants a sig bet on thisI'll sig bet on it. I'm saying 3 full rounds of domination.

rearnakedchoke
03-05-2009, 12:15 AM
I'll sig bet on it. I'm saying 3 full rounds of domination.

Done ... so you are saying Matt UD and I am saying Matt 3rd TKO ... if it is anything else it is a push ...

sorry, meant third round sub

VCURamFan
03-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Done ... so you are saying Matt UD and I am saying Matt 3rd TKO ... if it is anything else it is a push ...

sorry, meant third round subDone & done.

*Virtual handshake*

SteveT
03-05-2009, 12:18 AM
The event details on the UFC site show it as being on the televised portion of the PPV

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=EventDetail.FightCard&eid=2001

rearnakedchoke
03-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Done & done.

*Virtual handshake*

cool

Jeff Crow
03-05-2009, 02:15 AM
:ninja:

matthughesfan21
03-05-2009, 02:42 AM
My beef is not really with him not being a main event. It's the possibility of him being on the possibly untelevised portion of the undercard.
its a typo, on the ufc's website, his fight is just right below the mir lesnar fight

NateR
03-05-2009, 02:43 AM
its a typo, on the ufc's website, his fight is just right below the mir lesnar fight

Which is why it's on the undercard.:laugh:

matthughesfan21
03-05-2009, 02:44 AM
Which is why it's on the undercard.:laugh:
I've always heard the undercard referred to as the 4 or 5 non-televised fights, and the 5 fights on PPV are called the main card

NateR
03-05-2009, 03:13 AM
I've always heard the undercard referred to as the 4 or 5 non-televised fights, and the 5 fights on PPV are called the main card

Those are called preliminaries.

matthughesfan21
03-05-2009, 03:16 AM
Those are called preliminaries.yeah I know, but what I'm saying is typically to fans when they hear undercard, they think non-televised...I think the author of the article could have used a little different wording to avoid unnecessary confusion

NateR
03-05-2009, 03:39 AM
yeah I know, but what I'm saying is typically to fans when they hear undercard, they think non-televised...I think the author of the article could have used a little different wording to avoid unnecessary confusion

I agree, they should call it the co-main event.

Miss Foxy
03-05-2009, 03:47 AM
They better hope its a type-O or they will be hearing from me... And I agree with the previous comment it should be a co-main event.. How are you gonna have this rivalry and also a pioneer of MMA/UFC MATT HUGHES fight not televised?? :talktothehand:

Hughes_GOAT
03-05-2009, 03:49 AM
They better hope its a type-O or they will be hearing from me... And I agree with the previous comment it should be a co-main event.. How are you gonna have this rivalry and also a pioneer of MMA/UFC MATT HUGHES fight not televised?? :talktothehand:

it'll be televised Melissa. :) it just won't be the last fight of the night. probably second to last.

MattHughesRocks
03-05-2009, 03:59 AM
Wouldnt the co main event be second to last? Not that I care what Matt's fight is called but as far as I'm concerned the sooner in the night he fights the better! :w00t:

NateR
03-05-2009, 04:11 AM
Wouldnt the co main event be second to last? Not that I care what Matt's fight is called but as far as I'm concerned the sooner in the night he fights the better! :w00t:

I'm sure Matt would be perfectly happy being the first preliminary, this way he gets done and is in his hotel room having a good night's sleep before the main event even starts.:)

Hughes_GOAT
03-05-2009, 04:12 AM

yep

MattHughesRocks
03-05-2009, 04:20 AM
Oh come on! Don't make him sound so boring NateR! He'll have more time to party like a rock star if he goes first :party0006:

I'm sure Matt would be perfectly happy being the first preliminary, this way he gets done and is in his hotel room having a good night's sleep before the main event even starts.:)

Hughes_GOAT
03-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Matt is -205 and Serra is +165.....and in case you don't know what that means, Matt's the favorite in this fight according to Vegas.

MMeh
03-05-2009, 07:10 AM
I can't wait to see this, time to pay for all hat talking Serra!

Quell
03-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Me either ;-) think i'll be sick from work that night.

cheachea
03-06-2009, 03:17 AM
I really hope Hughes pickes up Serra (like classic Hughes) and slams him so hard that Serra's brains splatter all over the ground:punch: . Ok, maybe not that hard, but i hope he does slam him in this fight old school style.

Sugar Shane
03-07-2009, 04:22 AM
WOW!! Glad I signed up for the UFC fight club so I could get tickets on the presale! (sarcasm) I didnt even get a frikken email about it!! I hope I can still get tickets!!!!!!

Tyburn
03-09-2009, 02:12 AM
who is Matt Serra :unsure-1: someone remind me :blink:

:frantics: nevermind, dont bother, I'll only forget him the moment after he gets smushed :mellow:

:laugh:

foggy
03-09-2009, 03:52 AM
I don't think Mir vs Lesnar is the top fight on this card anymore?

Does that move Matt vs Matt up to the top spot or will they throw in a Rashad Evans vs Somebody fight?

lc87
03-09-2009, 06:29 AM
I don't think Mir vs Lesnar is the top fight on this card anymore?

Does that move Matt vs Matt up to the top spot or will they throw in a Rashad Evans vs Somebody fight?

There's many threads bout this in the ufc section. Dana said after the page fight sat it was page rashad.

Boomer
03-09-2009, 06:56 AM
SO, do we have a count of all the forum folks that are going?

MattHughesRocks
03-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Check the woodshed in the UFC Prep thread

SO, do we have a count of all the forum folks that are going?

Hughes_GOAT
03-09-2009, 07:14 AM
There's many threads bout this in the ufc section. Dana said after the page fight sat it was page rashad.

well actually, that's if Rampage agrees. he said he's not sure because he has some injuries and he wants to have time to train properly. Dana said Machida has accepted the Evans fight just in case Rampage doesn't fight.

bry241173
03-12-2009, 12:42 AM
well actually, that's if Rampage agrees. he said he's not sure because he has some injuries and he wants to have time to train properly. Dana said Machida has accepted the Evans fight just in case Rampage doesn't fight.

It's a done deal according to latest on mmajunkie, Evans v Machida, snooze!!!

Chip1987
03-24-2009, 12:43 PM
May God be with you in your final ever UFC fight. I only started to follow UFC a few years ago but have managed to watch all of your fights somehow. You are the only reason I follow the sport, and even when you're gone I doubt I will have the admiration for another fighter like I do you. You are an inspiration not only to me, but to us all, through your love for the Lord God, your achievements, determination, morals and athleticism, a true role model to us all. I dont believe in retribution, or anger. I believe that God gifted you with the ability to fight, and by doing so you are able to provide your family with a better life. Please when times are hard, and training is difficult, push yourself that little bit more, not only to defeat Matt Serra, who bad mouthed you, but to seal your legendary status within the sport, and give people who have only just began following the sport, a glimpse of why Matt Hughes was and will be one of the greatest UFC fighters ever. Do not be afraid when life seems a stuggle, for God is with you every step of the way, to pick you up and to push you. Please give everything you have left into this last fight, train harder than you ever have done before, and focus purely on winning, for your family and as a thankyou to God for giving you the ability and achievement to be where you are today.

If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes - Mark 9:23

Miss Foxy
03-24-2009, 03:04 PM
May God be with you in your final ever UFC fight. I only started to follow UFC a few years ago but have managed to watch all of your fights somehow. You are the only reason I follow the sport, and even when you're gone I doubt I will have the admiration for another fighter like I do you. You are an inspiration not only to me, but to us all, through your love for the Lord God, your achievements, determination, morals and athleticism, a true role model to us all. I dont believe in retribution, or anger. I believe that God gifted you with the ability to fight, and by doing so you are able to provide your family with a better life. Please when times are hard, and training is difficult, push yourself that little bit more, not only to defeat Matt Serra, who bad mouthed you, but to seal your legendary status within the sport, and give people who have only just began following the sport, a glimpse of why Matt Hughes was and will be one of the greatest UFC fighters ever. Do not be afraid when life seems a stuggle, for God is with you every step of the way, to pick you up and to push you. Please give everything you have left into this last fight, train harder than you ever have done before, and focus purely on winning, for your family and as a thankyou to God for giving you the ability and achievement to be where you are today.

If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes - Mark 9:23
OMG you brought tears to my eyes this is a beautiful message...I don't think anyone could have said it better.. :wink:

Vizion
03-24-2009, 09:04 PM
I know I'm asking for trouble here by asking this, but it is a legitimate question. Some say Matt didn't look/seem prepared for his last fights with GSP and Alves, I want to ask if Matt is preparing? I know he was moving, starting a gym and doing a book tour during the GSP fight, is he GETTING ready because none of us want to be bumming that night, and it will RUIN my entire night if he lost. Just being a realist - don't flame off on me.:laugh:

Miss Foxy
03-24-2009, 10:22 PM
I know I'm asking for trouble here by asking this, but it is a legitimate question. Some say Matt didn't look/seem prepared for his last fights with GSP and Alves, I want to ask if Matt is preparing? I know he was moving, starting a gym and doing a book tour during the GSP fight, is he GETTING ready because none of us want to be bumming that night, and it will RUIN my entire night if he lost. Just being a realist - don't flame off on me.:laugh:
Read his blogs if you get any time he talks a little here and there about his training. The answer is YES.. haha.. No worries about asking as long as you come in peace....:wink:

Vizion
03-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Read his blogs if you get any time he talks a little here and there about his training. The answer is YES.. haha.. No worries about asking as long as you come in peace....:wink:
That doesn't give me much confidence tho...everybody says they are training, words...argh...I just can't handle another loss. Yea yea, I know his record, but 3 out of 4 fights has he lost...due in part to a busy schedule outside of training yes?

Maldonado136
03-25-2009, 04:10 AM
we havent seen matt do a slam in so long and i feel like with this fight and who hes fighting that this is the perfect opportunity to do one!! itd be sweet if he did something similar to his second fight with trigg.

Miss Foxy
03-25-2009, 03:42 PM
That doesn't give me much confidence tho...everybody says they are training, words...argh...I just can't handle another loss. Yea yea, I know his record, but 3 out of 4 fights has he lost...due in part to a busy schedule outside of training yes?
Well I guess you will just have to wait till May 23rd to see if your confidence is restored in Matt Hughes. I opt to remain a fan and have faith in him as a fighter and I am 100% confident Matt is training hard. You win some you lose some, however I know Matt sincerely believes powerful in this scripture:
" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Philippians 4:13

Vizion
03-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Well I guess you will just have to wait till May 23rd to see if your confidence is restored in Matt Hughes. I opt to remain a fan and have faith in him as a fighter and I am 100% confident Matt is training hard. You win some you lose some, however I know Matt sincerely believes powerful in this scripture:
" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Philippians 4:13Fair enough. We'll see what happens. WAR HUGHES:punch:

Llamafighter
03-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Fair enough. We'll see what happens. WAR HUGHES:punch:

Out of those losses: 2 were to the current Champ, and 1 to the #1 contender. Two of those fights were on short notice due to other fighters getting injured. It's not like he lost to the #5 and #6 guys in that division. He's only lost to the best in the sport, and in two of thsoe guys he's beat (Penn and GSP). When Matt destroys Serra, you will see...

Crisco
03-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Out of those losses: 2 were to the current Champ, and 1 to the #1 contender. Two of those fights were on short notice due to other fighters getting injured. It's not like he lost to the #5 and #6 guys in that division. He's only lost to the best in the sport, and in two of thsoe guys he's beat (Penn and GSP). When Matt destroys Serra, you will see...

Not that beating Serra is a huge milestone hehe.

None of that fair weather fan crap around here Vizion.

Your either all in or all out.

Vizion
03-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Not that beating Serra is a huge milestone hehe.

None of that fair weather fan crap around here Vizion.

Your either all in or all out.
hey now, I'm no fair weather fan - :angry: Am I not entitled to ask a legitimate question?? :blink:

llamfighter - good points all :)

bradwright
03-25-2009, 08:45 PM
i would like nothing more then to wade in on
this thread right now but as a few of the people here have pointed out
(unjustly of course) at how i get carried away from time to time i thought it
might be best if i wait a few more days before i comment,

but i will be back,

war Hughs!

thats just a small taste of whats to come,

until later then.

Miss Foxy
03-25-2009, 09:13 PM
i would like nothing more then to wade in on
this thread right now but as a few of the people here have pointed out
(unjustly of course) at how i get carried away from time to time i thought it
might be best if i wait a few more days before i comment,

but i will be back,

war Hughs!

thats just a small taste of whats to come,

until later then.
If its supporting Matt get as carried away as you want!! :punch: You know I am very biased about a few things or two...:ashamed:

Crisco
03-25-2009, 10:02 PM
If its supporting Crisco get as carried away as you want!! :punch: You know I am very biased towards him because of a few things that happened in college:

:Whistle:

Miss Foxy
03-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Silly Crisco!! :)

Crisco
03-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Sexy Crisco!! :)

Ok I'm done.