PDA

View Full Version : NO RUNNING WATER!!!

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 12:29 PM
:cry: what do I do!!!

My Toilet bowl has frozen, the water in my systern is frozen, and when I flushed, it wouldnt refill coz the pipe is frozen...so I go to my sink to manually fill the bowl...and the water is frozen there...so I move to the bath...just an ice cube...so Finally I go to the kitchen.....nope...nothing...just a solid frozen end...ohhh and this is at MID DAY when the house is going to be at its warmest

I have NO running water...and no sewerage facilities...and worse...when the pipes thaw out...I bet I'll be springing more leaks then the bloody Titanic :angry:

What happens if I need the loo :huh::blink::laugh::ashamed::unsure:

County Mike
12-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Whatever you do, DON'T apply direct heat to your pipes. That will almost surely cause a leak.

Isn't your place heated? How could the pipes all freeze?

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Whatever you do, DON'T apply direct heat to your pipes. That will almost surely cause a leak.

Isn't your place heated? How could the pipes all freeze?

No my place is not heated, and I think we hit minus 12 centigrade last night.

There is no central heating, the place is a decrepid victorian terrace, it bearly has windows, and the roof was never properly fitted after it collapsed in 2006. The entry for all the water is on the North side...so it gets no sun, and is the coldest part of the whole house...I know downstairs pipes have frozen too, because I heard what happened this morning when he flushed :laugh::laugh:

This is likely to go on all week...I suppose I could piss into a bottle if worst comes to worst...but that doesnt answer what to do when I need the inevitable other... :laugh::laugh:

County Mike
12-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Time for a chamber pot.

and then, a new flat.

cubsfan47
12-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Tyburn may be living in a building that had plumbing added as an afterthought, depending on its age. I used to live in an older home which had freeze problems; yes even in Louisiana that can happen although not often. My current home has all major plumbing in interior walls. As for heat, insurance companies in this country won't pay for freeze damage in an unheated dwelling.

But none of this helps Tyburn.

I suggest that you try to find a vendor for this (http://www.incinolet.com/) product. :tongue0011:

Neezar
12-21-2010, 02:32 PM
I say it's a perfect time to visit Mum & Dad. :laugh:

TexasRN
12-21-2010, 05:28 PM
You don't own the flat, correct? So in England is it the home OWNER that has to pay for that kind of problem or the tenant?

~Amy

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Tyburn may be living in a building that had plumbing added as an afterthought, depending on its age. I used to live in an older home which had freeze problems; yes even in Louisiana that can happen although not often. My current home has all major plumbing in interior walls. As for heat, insurance companies in this country won't pay for freeze damage in an unheated dwelling.

But none of this helps Tyburn.

I suggest that you try to find a vendor for this (http://www.incinolet.com/) product. :tongue0011:

Thankfully any damage wont be paid for by me...because its owned by a landlord...but it does mean that its going to be a major inconvinience...when the Bathroom ceiling collapsed in Mid Summer 2006 (due to water build up inside the roof) I was unable to use the bath for months...it took him about 4-5 months to fix it...even then, he just shoved up a plasterboard roof and painted...the water stains are back, and though he swears he's had men on the roof to stop the water getting inside...it will be a shoddy job...I expect that roof to come down again within the next five years.

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 05:57 PM
You don't own the flat, correct? So in England is it the home OWNER that has to pay for that kind of problem or the tenant?

~Amy

Owner...thank GOD :laugh:

Miss Foxy
12-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Thankfully any damage wont be paid for by me...because its owned by a landlord...but it does mean that its going to be a major inconvinience...when the Bathroom ceiling collapsed in Mid Summer 2006 (due to water build up inside the roof) I was unable to use the bath for months...it took him about 4-5 months to fix it...even then, he just shoved up a plasterboard roof and painted...the water stains are back, and though he swears he's had men on the roof to stop the water getting inside...it will be a shoddy job...I expect that roof to come down again within the next five years.

The landlord sounds like a bonafide SLUMLORD!! That's not right Dave!!

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 05:58 PM
I say it's a perfect time to visit Mum & Dad. :laugh:

:laugh: I think so too...I'm trying to get in touch with them to discuss the situation right now :laugh:

J.B.
12-21-2010, 05:59 PM

OMG, how did people ever survive?

LOL...c'mon bro, man up.

I do love how you call it the "loo"....guess somebody forget to inform St. Louis... :laugh:

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 06:15 PM
The landlord sounds like a bonafide SLUMLORD!! That's not right Dave!!

He is!!! But he lives miles away, in this weather, he couldnt even get here quickly....and he's a fuss pot, when he does come round he sticks his nose in and complains about the silliest things.

But the rent it relatively cheap, and hasnt risen despite the financial crisis in the whole 5 years of me living here.

I've had multiple trouble with this place. The first problem was with the Ceiling in the Bathroom. I moved in March ish 2006 and in the summer, I used to come home from work because my pet Guinea Pig was ill at the time. One day I came home and found the entire contents of the roof, in the bath. The day before I had noticed a drip...the next day the whole roof came down.

He had it fixed in the winter, wherupon we went to war because he would tern up unannounced when I was out and complain that I would lock my door. This led to him locking the main door so I couldnt get in. That made me very angry indeed. Then he would complain about the "state of the flat" and alright so it wasnt like perfect...but it wasnt that messy...He then wrote to my parents...can you believe that. Mother went Nuclear on him and he's never dared speak to my parents again. He only had their details because they were financial guarentors.

In 2007 he let the guy downstairs move in with two cats after telling me I wasnt allowed pets, so I went mad at him, and he said I could have pets after all, so I got more Guineapigs (he didnt know about the first one :laugh: ) That same year one of the guys upstairs left his bath running...and it started coming through the ceiling of my bedroom. It messed up the electrics and I couldnt tern on my light for about a year until the whole structure dried out.

In 2008 a mad woman moved in upstairs who would set the fire alarm off in the middle of the night, and get involved in drunken and drugged up parties where she would come down and bang on my door and walls at about 2am in the morning. He never did anything to stop her despite my complaints. Once it had been evident that someone had peed in the corridor...and rather then blame her...he thought it was me :rolleyes: She broke the fire alarm in the end, and he had to install a whole knew system.

in 2009, the boiler started to go on the blink. The guy who serviced it said it wasnt a fault, it was just the pressure meant the water never ran anything more then luke warm. I had to boil water from the kettle to do the washing up and mix it with cold water. I also had to call an ambulance when I had an allergic reaction to nuts...and as the bottom flat kept falling vacent, the guy would leave the gas fire on permanently, even though I complained it was a fire risk, he would visit maybe once a month and leave this empty flat with the gas fire on the whole time...right beneith where I was living.

in 2010 the guy upstairs managed to go out a leave his chip fryer on. The whole place filled with smoke, the alarm went off, the landlord couldnt be contacted...in the end I had to call the police and fire brigade....and the Landlord never did get back to me about that. When I eventually asked him if he knew he just said that he had been informed, and that was it. Then I had my yearly gas inspection in the summer, and I was told the flues inside the chimney were in a state of Structural collapse, and needed relining, until then I wasnt to use them, and they were disconnected...the landlord hasnt got back to me on that yet.

Now the entire water system is frozen solid in the worst winter we have had in 100 years...and they look set to thaw, and thus leak...oh...about Christmas day actually.

:laugh:

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 06:16 PM
OMG, how did people ever survive?

LOL...c'mon bro, man up.

I do love how you call it the "loo"....guess somebody forget to inform St. Louis... :laugh:

sometimes I call it a bogg :laugh:

J.B.
12-21-2010, 06:18 PM
sometimes I call it a bogg :laugh:

A bogg is fitting...

I just wonder what the good people St. Louis think when Euro's refer to their beloved nickname with a reference to where they take a steaming dump...:laugh:

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 06:20 PM
well you can call it a loo, or a bogg, or a toilet, or a rest-room I suppose

in my case...probably a cesspit soon :sad:

Chris F
12-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Sorry to hear it Dave. I have been there on all accounts. However I am the landlord and the bill are not cheap. Hope you stay warm and get water soon man.

flo
12-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Oh no! That's awful, Dave. :sad: I hope the landlord gets to it right away but if the weather has been that bad, you may not get a plumber for several days so start making noise NOW!

Future tips, leave a tap slowly dripping and it won't freeze. Also make sure the landlord has the pipes insulated and you can leave the cabinet doors under your sink ajar to keep the pipes a bit warmer.

Hang in there! I agree with Denise, time to visit the parents until the landlord gets it cleared up...I can't imagine it's good for Bonnie, Jens and the babies. :cry:

flo
12-21-2010, 06:47 PM
I've had multiple trouble with this place. The first problem was with the Ceiling in the Bathroom. I moved in March ish 2006 and in the summer, I used to come home from work because my pet Guinea Pig was ill at the time. One day I came home and found the entire contents of the roof, in the bath. The day before I had noticed a drip...the next day the whole roof came down.

He had it fixed in the winter, wherupon we went to war because he would tern up unannounced when I was out and complain that I would lock my door. This led to him locking the main door so I couldnt get in. That made me very angry indeed. Then he would complain about the "state of the flat" and alright so it wasnt like perfect...but it wasnt that messy...He then wrote to my parents...can you believe that. Mother went Nuclear on him and he's never dared speak to my parents again. He only had their details because they were financial guarentors.

In 2007 he let the guy downstairs move in with two cats after telling me I wasnt allowed pets, so I went mad at him, and he said I could have pets after all, so I got more Guineapigs (he didnt know about the first one :laugh: ) That same year one of the guys upstairs left his bath running...and it started coming through the ceiling of my bedroom. It messed up the electrics and I couldnt tern on my light for about a year until the whole structure dried out.

In 2008 a mad woman moved in upstairs who would set the fire alarm off in the middle of the night, and get involved in drunken and drugged up parties where she would come down and bang on my door and walls at about 2am in the morning. He never did anything to stop her despite my complaints. Once it had been evident that someone had peed in the corridor...and rather then blame her...he thought it was me :rolleyes: She broke the fire alarm in the end, and he had to install a whole knew system.

in 2009, the boiler started to go on the blink. The guy who serviced it said it wasnt a fault, it was just the pressure meant the water never ran anything more then luke warm. I had to boil water from the kettle to do the washing up and mix it with cold water. I also had to call an ambulance when I had an allergic reaction to nuts...and as the bottom flat kept falling vacent, the guy would leave the gas fire on permanently, even though I complained it was a fire risk, he would visit maybe once a month and leave this empty flat with the gas fire on the whole time...right beneith where I was living.

in 2010 the guy upstairs managed to go out a leave his chip fryer on. The whole place filled with smoke, the alarm went off, the landlord couldnt be contacted...in the end I had to call the police and fire brigade....and the Landlord never did get back to me about that. When I eventually asked him if he knew he just said that he had been informed, and that was it. Then I had my yearly gas inspection in the summer, and I was told the flues inside the chimney were in a state of Structural collapse, and needed relining, until then I wasnt to use them, and they were disconnected...the landlord hasnt got back to me on that yet.

Now the entire water system is frozen solid in the worst winter we have had in 100 years...and they look set to thaw, and thus leak...oh...about Christmas day actually.

:laugh:

Your landlord is a creep. It's illegal here to enter a tenant's property without their consent.
After reading all the above, I think you'd be best off moving elsewhere. It sounds like a lunatic asylum run by Dr. Caligari.

County Mike
12-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Refuse to pay your rent until he gets things fixed. If that doesn't work, pack up all your stuff, take a dump in the middle of the floor, and move out.

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 07:02 PM
okay...so Mother says...move the calorgas heater into the loo, try and bring up the ambient tempriture, slowly, and hopefully the melt will occure without the pipes splitting...use up the Calorgas and she will replace it before Christmas...and use the one remaining gas fire in the lounge just for tonight.
I have left a message on the landlords phone...goodness knows if he will reply

but we have another issue...in the event of a pipe split...guess what we DONT know, and almost certainly dont have access to :ninja:

:laugh: The stopcock :laugh:

if she blows...GOD bless all who sail in her :rolleyes:

County Mike
12-21-2010, 07:10 PM
The stopcock

You said "stopcock".

Miss Foxy
12-21-2010, 07:10 PM
You said "stopcock".

lmfao

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Oh no! That's awful, Dave. :sad: I hope the landlord gets to it right away but if the weather has been that bad, you may not get a plumber for several days so start making noise NOW!

Future tips, leave a tap slowly dripping and it won't freeze. Also make sure the landlord has the pipes insulated and you can leave the cabinet doors under your sink ajar to keep the pipes a bit warmer.

Hang in there! I agree with Denise, time to visit the parents until the landlord gets it cleared up...I can't imagine it's good for Bonnie, Jens and the babies. :cry:

There is little a plumber can do...I can insulate the pipes inside...but the vast majority of them are outside on a sheer face I can reach...My bath tap always drips...unfortunately, that froze also...um...an icicle formed infact :laugh:

I feed the birds bottled water, coz I dont trust this water...so they are okay...and being desert birds, they can cope with cold weather, although I have the calorgas which keeps us all cosy now :laugh:

Mother is going to phone back at ten...and if its not better she wants me to go round to hers :ashamed:

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Your landlord is a creep. It's illegal here to enter a tenant's property without their consent.
After reading all the above, I think you'd be best off moving elsewhere. It sounds like a lunatic asylum run by Dr. Caligari.

yeah...its illegal here also...thats why I went mad at him :laugh:

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 07:16 PM
1)Refuse to pay your rent until he gets things fixed. 2) If that doesn't work, pack up all your stuff, take a dump in the middle of the floor, 3) and move out.

1) Tempting

2) I could never do that

3) and go where...my Parents dont want me to move back in with them, and I cant afford anywhere better

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 07:18 PM
You said "stopcock".

yes...I know what it looks like too...it will be a big circular disk stuck to the side of a pipe that you can turn, and it shuts off water to the house...but where it is...GOD only knows :ninja: I learned that from mindhunters LMAO one of the traps is activated when one of the guys uses a stopcock to turn the water off :D

flo
12-21-2010, 07:20 PM
There is little a plumber can do...I can insulate the pipes inside...but the vast majority of them are outside on a sheer face I can reach...My bath tap always drips...unfortunately, that froze also...um...an icicle formed infact :laugh:

I feed the birds bottled water, coz I dont trust this water...so they are okay...and being desert birds, they can cope with cold weather, although I have the calorgas which keeps us all cosy now :laugh:

Mother is going to phone back at ten...and if its not better she wants me to go round to hers :ashamed:

Oh gosh, well hang tough, Dave. I hope you will start looking around for other digs.

TexasRN
12-21-2010, 07:33 PM

That landlord better watch out. I have a feeling your mother is a force to be reckoned with when she's determined to have her way. :laugh:

~Amy

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 07:46 PM
okay...calorgas is out...and my Father is going to try and get me a new canister tommorow...

attempts to raise the ambient tempriture to above 0 Degrees Centigrade have failed...and now on examination the exit pipes from the sinks and bath are frozen also. Father reckons the whole house is probably frozen, and thinks the freeze might be right up to the connection to the mains

it is unlikely therefore that anything will work again before a thaw...the tempriture is due to rise slightly from Friday.

Until then, I shyte at work, and pee in bottles I suppose :laugh: Basically I might use my parents house until late at night, then just come home to sleep :w00t:

Tonight I must stay here in case the landlord decides to ring back....and for this one night I use the gas fire in the lounge...which the inspector said was probably as bad...but didnt disconect because he couldnt proove it...I never use it anyway because I cant afford to pay for it :laugh: but to Hell with one night.

Stopcock is still an issue...I dont think its in my flat...which means its a real potentially BAD issue :laugh::laugh:

I dont know why I'm laughing :blink:

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 07:47 PM
That landlord better watch out. I have a feeling your mother is a force to be reckoned with when she's determined to have her way. :laugh:

~Amy

You would get on well with her, because she is an Amazonian Woman...not, NOT to be messed with...and she doesnt like him...and he knows it :laugh:

County Mike
12-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Do the landlord a favor and burn that sucker to the ground. You can stay warm until the fire goes out.

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Do the landlord a favor and burn that sucker to the ground. You can stay warm until the fire goes out.

:laugh: my life gives a whole new meaning to living dangerously I tell you :laugh:

Play The Man
12-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Please tell me that you have smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. It sounds like you live in a deathtrap. It might be worthwhile to have buckets in place underneath your pipes when the thaw occurs; you might be facing a flood.

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 08:18 PM
1)Please tell me that you have smoke alarms and 2) carbon monoxide detectors. 3) It sounds like you live in a deathtrap. 4) It might be worthwhile to have buckets in place underneath your pipes when the thaw occurs; you might be facing a flood.

1) Yes
2) No
3) Yes
4) the most probable scenario is that this thaw will happen whilst im at work...I'll need more then a bucket :laugh: if its the whole house...the pipes go over the ceilings and under the floors...if just one split occures...i'm gonna be well and truely sunk :unsure:

by the time I get home at night, the flood will probably have frozen over again :rolleyes:

TexasRN
12-21-2010, 08:24 PM
1) Yes
2) No
3) Yes
4) the most probable scenario is that this thaw will happen whilst im at work...I'll need more then a bucket :laugh: if its the whole house...the pipes go over the ceilings and under the floors...if just one split occures...i'm gonna be well and truely sunk :unsure:

by the time I get home at night, the flood will probably have frozen over again :rolleyes:

If you are running a gas heater of any kind you really need to have a carbon monoxide detector. It is undetectable by smell, you just go to sleep and die. Ask your mom or one of your sisters to buy you one for Christmas. :)

~Amy

rearnakedchoke
12-21-2010, 08:46 PM
If you are running a gas heater of any kind you really need to have a carbon monoxide detector. It is undetectable by smell, you just go to sleep and die. Ask your mom or one of your sisters to buy you one for Christmas. :)

~Amy

This Dave .. don't you work at Walmart? pick one up today on your way back ...

Tyburn
12-21-2010, 08:56 PM
My nan said she had a spare one, so I should be able to use hers :w00t:

What a brilliant forum family we all are :happydancing:

Neezar
12-22-2010, 12:04 AM
okay...so Mother says...move the calorgas heater into the loo, try and bring up the ambient tempriture, slowly, and hopefully the melt will occure without the pipes splitting...use up the Calorgas and she will replace it before Christmas...and use the one remaining gas fire in the lounge just for tonight.
I have left a message on the landlords phone...goodness knows if he will reply

but we have another issue...in the event of a pipe split...guess what we DONT know, and almost certainly dont have access to :ninja:

:laugh: The stopcock :laugh:

if she blows...GOD bless all who sail in her :rolleyes:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

NateR
12-22-2010, 01:01 AM

My Toilet bowl has frozen, the water in my systern is frozen, and when I flushed, it wouldnt refill coz the pipe is frozen...so I go to my sink to manually fill the bowl...and the water is frozen there...so I move to the bath...just an ice cube...so Finally I go to the kitchen.....nope...nothing...just a solid frozen end...ohhh and this is at MID DAY when the house is going to be at its warmest

I have NO running water...and no sewerage facilities...and worse...when the pipes thaw out...I bet I'll be springing more leaks then the bloody Titanic :angry:

What happens if I need the loo :huh::blink::laugh::ashamed::unsure:

I had the same problem last week, but the pipes in my house actually broke and were just hanging freely in the basement. I got in contact with the landlord right away and he had it fixed within 24 hours. I had to use the shower in Mark and Emily's basement that night, before I went to work, but otherwise it wasn't a huge inconvenience.

Play The Man
12-22-2010, 06:25 AM
1) Yes
2) No
3) Yes

In that case, cover your computer and other valuables with plastic sheeting. If water is raining down from the ceiling, your stuff will be at risk.

Tyburn
12-22-2010, 06:10 PM
I had the same problem last week, but the pipes in my house actually broke and were just hanging freely in the basement. I got in contact with the landlord right away and he had it fixed within 24 hours. I had to use the shower in Mark and Emily's basement that night, before I went to work, but otherwise it wasn't a huge inconvenience.

what about your toilet :huh:

the real inconvinience is the toilet :laugh: or lack there of :unsure:

Tyburn
12-22-2010, 06:11 PM
In that case, cover your computer and other valuables with plastic sheeting. If water is raining down from the ceiling, your stuff will be at risk.

good thinking... :ninja:

Tyburn
12-22-2010, 06:25 PM
So hear is the news...my Landlord never did phone back last night...he phoned this morning at 6am. I woke up, but didnt get to the phone in time and was so annoyed I didnt phone back....He didnt catch me on my lunch hour neither...but I'd arranged to put my calorgas heater out on the landing so my Father could change the canister for me whilst I was at work.

When I got home I finally spoke to him by phone. Turns out he had just got off the phone with my Father (there he goes calling my parents again) I spoke to Father right after...it turns out that the landlord had come round to the flat in the afternoon, he had checked upstairs and found the flat was frozen also, and so this is the whole house...but he couldnt understand why I wanted to know where the stopcock was, more to the point...he had absolutely no idea :laugh: So my Father explained about what happens to pipes with freezing and thaws...also the calorgas heater on the landing had made him decide perhaps he could buy one for me just for the bathroom...so he went to the shops...and found they were all sold out til January :laugh:

He is really distressed about it actually...and he's thinking of what to do...there was the suggestion of ahire for a portaloo....ummmm not sure I like that idea...it will be outside, and vandals and druggies will be attracted to it no doubt...I told him that there was nothing we could do until the thaw, the plumber aggreed with me.

Til then, I shyte at work, and pee in a bottle :laugh::laugh::laugh: