PDA

View Full Version : The Kick

J.B.
12-17-2010, 05:49 AM
http://i51.tinypic.com/sxp1yg.gif

Everybody watching here screamed...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:k5faBMfCfejyuM:http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk128/Tomz1HooperMac85/CraigandSmokey.jpg&t=1

cheachea
12-17-2010, 06:11 AM
That is just plain Crazy ! :punch:

J.B.
12-17-2010, 06:23 AM
That fight definitely has a case for fight of the year.

JavierDLC
12-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Al I can Say Is !!!!WOW!!!!

Pettis Looked Sick!! The way he escaped Henderson's chokes!!

bj44
12-17-2010, 08:53 AM
pettis looked like keanu reeves there... I couldnt believe what i just saw.

J.B.
12-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Jordan Breen said it best when he said we couldn't ask for a better punctuation mark at the very end of what will ultimately be the final WEC fight ever. The only thing that could have made it any better would have been if the kick had actually ended the fight right then and there.

I do think Breen and some other fans may be going a bit overboard in suggesting it's the most amazing moment they have ever seen in MMA or any other sport, but that's totally based on people's personal opinions. For me, I can almost positively say that was the most unique high risk move I've seen in MMA that actually paid off. I'm usually pretty quiet and laid back during the fights, and even when the most brutal KO's happen it's not often I react as vocally as I did when I saw Pettis pull that move straight out of The Matrix. To say that was a pleasant surprise would be an understatement.

Had that kick finished Henderson off, I would have definitely given that KO of the Year. Also, while that was an awesome fight from beginning to end with some big context behind it, I would still have to give the Sonnen/Silva fight the edge for fight of the year.

I wanted to see Henderson win being the hometown AZ kid and all, but I have no doubt that he still has a job in the UFC after that performance. Big ups to Pettis though, he looked sharp and dangerous as ever. Can't wait to see him against Edgar or Maynard. Both are very interesting match-ups.

Buc Nasty
12-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Sig'd!

County Mike
12-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Awesome! Now I really regret that I didn't stay up to watch the rest of the fights and I didn't record it either.

VCURamFan
12-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Jordan Breen said it best when he said we couldn't ask for a better punctuation mark at the very end of what will ultimately be the final WEC fight ever. The only thing that could have made it any better would have been if the kick had actually ended the fight right then and there.

I do think Breen and some other fans may be going a bit overboard in suggesting it's the most amazing moment they have ever seen in MMA or any other sport, but that's totally based on people's personal opinions. For me, I can almost positively say that was the most unique high risk move I've seen in MMA that actually paid off. I'm usually pretty quiet and laid back during the fights, and even when the most brutal KO's happen it's not often I react as vocally as I did when I saw Pettis pull that move straight out of The Matrix. To say that was a pleasant surprise would be an understatement.

Had that kick finished Henderson off, I would have definitely given that KO of the Year. Also, while that was an awesome fight from beginning to end with some big context behind it, I would still have to give the Sonnen/Silva fight the edge for fight of the year.

I wanted to see Henderson win being the hometown AZ kid and all, but I have no doubt that he still has a job in the UFC after that performance. Big ups to Pettis though, he looked sharp and dangerous as ever. Can't wait to see him against Edgar or Maynard. Both are very interesting match-ups.

This. +Juan

The card was good finale for the brand & the Showtime Kick just put the stamp on it!

Tyburn
12-17-2010, 12:33 PM
:happydancing: Dont forget I called this!! :happydancing:

County Mike
12-17-2010, 12:36 PM
:happydancing: Dont forget I called this!! :happydancing:

You called a "jump off the cage kick to the head"? I don't remember seeing that.

Tyburn
12-17-2010, 12:39 PM
You called a "jump off the cage kick to the head"? I don't remember seeing that.

Not exactly...but I did suggest he would win by head kick, and Ive told you he would win :cool:

Llamafighter
12-17-2010, 01:09 PM
In one of the videos leading up to the fight on UFC.com they actually show him practicing this kick. I thought to myself "if that works in a fight I'd crap...

cubsfan47
12-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Awesome! Now I really regret that I didn't stay up to watch the rest of the fights and I didn't record it either.

This will be re-broadcast.

From the WEC website:

Event - WEC: Henderson vs. Pettis (re-air)

Date: Dec-18-2010 11:00 PM ET
Event Type: Versus

So set your DVR!:angry: :wink:

adamt
12-17-2010, 02:03 PM
:unsure-1::rolleyes:

didn't even finish the fight, how lame.....

Chuck
12-17-2010, 02:43 PM
I've been waiting a while to see a fighter use the cage like that... I figure it's only time until there is a rule against it or we see some of the more athletic fighters start to use it more.

J.B.
12-17-2010, 03:56 PM
I figure it's only time until there is a rule against it

One could probably make a legit case for that kick being illegal, but nobody would listen. :laugh:

County Mike
12-17-2010, 04:02 PM
One could probably make a legit case for that kick being illegal, but nobody would listen. :laugh:

What would be illegal about it? You're allowed to push off the fence. I saw a fight before where the guy pushed himself forward (ie: Superman punch) off the cage.

J.B.
12-17-2010, 04:18 PM
What would be illegal about it? You're allowed to push off the fence. I saw a fight before where the guy pushed himself forward (ie: Superman punch) off the cage.

For starters, the Superman Punch you are talking about is Belcher hitting Akiyama. :wink:

Now, I'm not saying it definitely SHOULD be illegal, because I don't really feel strong about it one way or the other (like I do with slams), but here is what somebody could say...

It could be argued that the cage shouldn't be used as a weapon (I tend to lean towards agreeing with that, and in part why I favor rings over cages). Obviously we see guys use the cage to push off, wall-walk, or even to press their opponents up against the cage and hold them there. However, at the same time, we don't allow guys to hold the fence, which is somewhat of a double standard.

Again, I'm not saying it's the strongest case against it, or even that the kick SHOULD be illegal. I just think it's an interesting thing to think about when thinking about how the cage is used to dictate the outcome of fights. I also doubt we even see that get attempted again anytime soon, especially not in the UFC. I think guys will be too tense to try that on that stage, and it would also be a harder to land considering the Octagon is actually bigger than the WEC cage.

Spiritwalker
12-17-2010, 04:53 PM
In one of the videos leading up to the fight on UFC.com they actually show him practicing this kick. I thought to myself "if that works in a fight I'd crap...

well......

J.B.
12-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Oh, and just to be clear too, my last post is in no way, shape, or form, trying to take anything away from what Pettis did with that kick.

It was totally awesome, and I would have to say it's easily one of the coolest things I've ever seen in MMA.

JavierDLC
12-17-2010, 06:34 PM
I dont get why Pettis didn't look for the finish? He obviously had him hurt... :Whistle: :rolleyes:

Neezar
12-17-2010, 07:08 PM
:unsure-1::rolleyes:

didn't even finish the fight, how lame.....

:laugh: Good one!

Tyburn
12-17-2010, 07:18 PM
No he didnt finish...but he was damn entertaining. If GSP fought like that, I wouldnt care if he finished or not either.

Pettis might have finished if there had been more time...and DURING the fight BOTH fighters tried to finish with RNCs...and they tried long and hard...If GSP was continually trying to finish with a submission, I wouldnt care if he finished or not either.

The difference is, Anthony Pettis is Exciting, and tries to finish...GSP is boring and doesnt try to finish. If they both end up with a Decision, guess whose performance will make up for that fact??

Play The Man
12-17-2010, 07:39 PM
:scared0015:

JavierDLC
12-17-2010, 07:58 PM
No he didnt finish...but he was damn entertaining. If GSP fought like that, I wouldnt care if he finished or not either.

Pettis might have finished if there had been more time...and DURING the fight BOTH fighters tried to finish with RNCs...and they tried long and hard...If GSP was continually trying to finish with a submission, I wouldnt care if he finished or not either.

The difference is, Anthony Pettis is Exciting, and tries to finish...GSP is boring and doesnt try to finish. If they both end up with a Decision, guess whose performance will make up for that fact??

LOL JA JA JA JA JA JA ! ! ! ! ! !

I was just being sarcastic I wanted to know what it's like to discredit a fighter for not finishing a fight for no Apparent reason !! Just wanted to check out the new trend going on. But its not for me :) :happydancing:

I was rooting for Anthony the whole fight by the way.

Tyburn
12-17-2010, 08:00 PM
LOL JA JA JA JA JA JA ! ! ! ! ! !

I was just being sarcastic I wanted to know what it's like to discredit a fighter for not finishing a fight for no Apparent reason !! Just wanted to check out the new trend going on. But its not for me :) :happydancing:

I was rooting for Anthony the whole fight by the way.

but there is an apparent reason...two apparent reasons 1) Boring, 2) doesnt try to finish.

Pettis isnt either of those...though I do wish the Kick had stopped the match altogether :laugh:

Neezar
12-17-2010, 09:14 PM

Well Hello, Mr. UnEducated.

:laugh:

J.B.
12-17-2010, 09:24 PM

Yup, pretty much.:laugh:

Great to see that even when something remarkable happens that we'll probably never see happen again, it turns into a discussion about why GSP is boring. :rolleyes:

Tyburn
12-17-2010, 10:09 PM

:laugh: I cant help it :ashamed:

Chuck
12-17-2010, 10:11 PM

Stick and move baby..... stick and move......

J.B.
12-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Stick and move baby..... stick and move......

Float like a butterfly...sting like a bee!!!

RUMBLE YOUNG MAN RUMBLE!!!!

http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Spring05/Shaffer/main_ali.jpg