PDA

View Full Version : Different American Accents

Tyburn
12-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Usually I dont have a problem understanding Americans...but some of the accents I have real trouble with. I remember going out on my first States Trip, and I could understand Matt Hughes, And Nathan, And Oddtodd, and Boomer, and Mac, and Blmfighter...and everyone else I met....but Preach spoke realllllllly fast, and I struggled a little to follow.

It made me think because obviously reading you online, you have no accents at all...but I wonder what you all sound like, and if I'd be able to understand you or not.

There is this one guy on youtube who has written to me a couple of times, and today I decided to check out his channel...I cant understand a word he says, I have to concentrate so hard :laugh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0wvrgS_WDM :blink:

If any of you sound like that...If we ever meet, remember to talk slowly, or else I wont understand you :ashamed:

TENNESSEAN
12-16-2010, 07:42 PM
sounds like he might be from tennessee yall

J.B.
12-16-2010, 07:56 PM
He's definitely from the south... :laugh:

County Mike
12-16-2010, 08:02 PM
I speak with a heavy Spanish accent, hombre.

Tyburn
12-16-2010, 08:35 PM
sounds like he might be from tennessee yall

I think he's from Kentucky :ninja:

:laugh:

Chris F
12-16-2010, 08:40 PM
People in the SOuth do talk slow it just might be the thick accent Dave that gets you. The fast talkers are the New Englander up North. Yankees are often real hard to understand. The people in the Mid West are probably the easiest since they are a blend of both worlds. They I talk tends to varry based on what I am doing and to whom I am speaking with. Whenever I am teaching or preaching I sound very stuffy and academic when I am just talking out and about I tend to be labled hickish because I use words like critters, and such. Here is a dictionary that might help you understand the guy in the video better. http://www.originalsforyou.com/hillbilly.html

TENNESSEAN
12-16-2010, 08:45 PM
I think he's from Kentucky :ninja:

appalachian KY and east TN have a language all their own

Miss Foxy
12-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Maybe Kentuckyredbone could help us out where is he when we need him??:frantics:

Neezar
12-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Some Cajun accents are difficult to understand for me.

I like to hear people from Boston talk. :laugh:

adamt
12-17-2010, 02:01 PM
can you understand this guy?

http://www.wimp.com/turtleman/

Spiritwalker
12-17-2010, 02:05 PM
appalachian KY and east TN have a language all their own

And evolutionary path....

Spiritwalker
12-17-2010, 02:08 PM

that's the one accent I loath.. "like fingernails on a chalk board"

I was born in NC.. but was lucky enough to move around ALOT coming up... plus I have worked to eliminate a "southern drawl"....and certain words...

"cain't"... hate that

"case quarter".. wonder how many people here know what that is... I wish I didn't

I love the South Amercian accent.. like velvet...

TENNESSEAN
12-17-2010, 02:20 PM
And evolutionary path....

thats what they say about folks from NC

Chuck
12-17-2010, 02:39 PM
If we ever meet, remember to talk slowly, or else I wont understand you :ashamed:

Oh the irony!!!

TENNESSEAN
12-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Dave, can you understand folks from West Virgina?:scared0015:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q6G_WqLp1w

rearnakedchoke
12-17-2010, 03:41 PM
apparently us canadian speak with an accent ... i don't see it .. (or hear it) ... the people from the east have one and from k-bec, but in the toronto area, we are devoid of an accent i think

TENNESSEAN
12-17-2010, 03:48 PM
i believe this is my long lost aunt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGRKTkS7pW8

Spiritwalker
12-17-2010, 03:49 PM
thats what they say about folks from NC

really????

I did some work in Ten.. was working in real rural areas doing cellular wrok.. and I met some Interesting people...

Murphy NC..(little town)... is VERY scary.. there are no dentists in that town.. basically cause they all go our of business... Hard to make a living on working on just one or two teeth in every head...

Hazzard Kentucky... THAT was the odded, scariest place I had ever been .. saw people just tossing their trash into their front yards..
Saw two "12ish" year old slugging it out.. "and trying to finish the fight".. a car was coming.. and one kid slung the other into the road... me and the guys that I was working with were dumbstruck in seeing that..

Louisville Kentucky... probably the nicest place I have evern been in the states.. great people, great food.. great buildings.. just a wonderful place to be for about a month..

Here is some trivia for you.. didja know that there are no KFCs in Kentucky..

Spiritwalker
12-17-2010, 03:51 PM
apparently us canadian speak with an accent ... i don't see it .. (or hear it) ... the people from the east have one and from k-bec, but in the toronto area, we are devoid of an accent i think

I met some Canadians at a bar the day before UFC123.. and they had a "hard accent".. that was a little buit rough to follow.. great guys though..

Chuck
12-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Here is some trivia for you.. didja know that there are no KFCs in Kentucky..

Guessing that's a joke??

TENNESSEAN
12-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Guessing that's a joke??

must be:rolleyes:

rearnakedchoke
12-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Guessing that's a joke??

you guessed correct

Buras
12-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Hey Spirit, what is a "case-quarter" ? I' m from south Louisiana and haven't heard of that one.

Spiritwalker
12-17-2010, 04:46 PM
yes there are KFCs in Kentucky..... that's just an old joke...

a "case quarter" is the actualy .25 coin as opposed to 2 dimes and a nickle...

go figure.

Buras
12-17-2010, 04:51 PM
That's a new one. Would have to agree with you on "cain't". Have you ever been to south Louisiana?

Miss Foxy
12-17-2010, 05:13 PM
My vocabulary contains lots of... Whatever, as if, like, omg..... I am total valley!! :wink:

TENNESSEAN
12-17-2010, 06:01 PM
that's the one accent I loath.. "like fingernails on a chalk board"

I was born in NC.. but was lucky enough to move around ALOT coming up... plus I have worked to eliminate a "southern drawl"....and certain words...

"cain't"... hate that

"case quarter".. wonder how many people here know what that is... I wish I didn't

I love the South Amercian accent.. like velvet...

like Brazil and Peru?

Spiritwalker
12-17-2010, 06:06 PM
like Brazil and Peru?

Peru is most like velvet to me.. Brazil is kinda like a calming stream...

South American women in general just have amazing voices

County Mike
12-17-2010, 06:20 PM
My vocabulary contains lots of... Whatever, as if, like, omg..... I am total valley!! :wink:

Bogus

Miss Foxy
12-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Bogus

Lol. Bill and Ted!!

Neezar
12-17-2010, 06:54 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I watched the whole thing. My sides are hurting. :laugh:

Tyburn
12-17-2010, 07:24 PM
can you understand this guy?

http://www.wimp.com/turtleman/

:no: not a word :laugh:

Tyburn
12-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Oh the irony!!!

Oh...I understood you perfectly Chuck, we spoke several times by phone on each tour I recall :)

Tyburn
12-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Dave, can you understand folks from West Virgina?:scared0015:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q6G_WqLp1w

it wont play, says its been banned in my country for copyright :laugh:

Tyburn
12-17-2010, 07:29 PM

:laugh: she sounds abit like Denise :laugh:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
12-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Maybe Kentuckyredbone could help us out where is he when we need him??:frantics:

If this Library computer would let me watch and hear the video I could probably tell you! From what I have been told I have my Grandparents Applachian accent! I have had Folk's in Northern Kentucky tell me that I have a hillbilly accent! If Dell would ever send us the right part we was gonna fix our computer and get back on line!

Miss Foxy
12-17-2010, 08:59 PM
If this Library computer would let me watch and hear the video I could probably tell you! From what I have been told I have my Grandparents Applachian accent! I have had Folk's in Northern Kentucky tell me that I have a hillbilly accent! If Dell would ever send us the right part we was gonna fix our computer and get back on line!

Lol that's funny. My uncle from North Carolina has the nerve to call people with Texas accents rednecks. He lives in Texas and says that! LOL.. The nerve!:laugh:

Neezar
12-17-2010, 09:10 PM
:laugh: she sounds abit like Denise :laugh:

:angry:

Tyburn
12-17-2010, 10:32 PM
:angry:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

flo
12-18-2010, 12:53 AM
My uncle from North Carolina has the nerve to call people with Texas accents rednecks. He lives in Texas and says that! LOL.. The nerve!:laugh:

He's lucky he doesn't get shot!!! You know the saying, "Don't Mess With Texas", lol!

Neez, I love Boston accents too.

Picture Thurston Howell III in your mind...

Wait here, Lovey, while I pawk the caw.

:happydancing:

Miss Foxy
12-18-2010, 01:02 AM
He's lucky he doesn't get shot!!! You know the saying, "Don't Mess With Texas", lol!

Neez, I love Boston accents too.

Picture Thurston Howell III in your mind...

Wait here, Lovey, while I pawk the caw.

:happydancing:

Or Mark Wahlbergs accent.. Oh my stars!! I love Beantown boys!! Except the Celtics!! :laugh:

flo
12-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Or Mark Wahlbergs accent.. Oh my stars!! I love Beantown boys!! Except the Celtics!! :laugh:

lol, I totally agree (and I'm Irish). :ashamed:

:w00t:

Bonnie
12-18-2010, 05:30 AM

I love the accent of my Cajun kin. :)

My cousin is a doctor in Boston; I haven't seen her in years, but I've always wondered what she sounds like now with that Cajun accent after living in Boston for so long. :laugh:

lyndsey823
12-19-2010, 09:59 AM

Oh no, this is where we might not get along!!! I love those accents, and I love the big 3!!! Love the Celtics!!!!

lyndsey823
12-19-2010, 10:04 AM
I've been told by so many of my out of state friends that they love my accent. I'm like, what accent?? I didn't know people from California had accents!! Lol and I've lived in Nor Cal all my life so I'm not a Valley Girl!! I don't hear it, but whatever!!!

I'm a sucker for a nice southern accent, guys from the Mid West, Irish accents, and Canadian accents. Not like GSP's, lol. Apparently California is not where I belong!!!

Miss Foxy
12-19-2010, 05:38 PM
I've been told by so many of my out of state friends that they love my accent. I'm like, what accent?? I didn't know people from California had accents!! Lol and I've lived in Nor Cal all my life so I'm not a Valley Girl!! I don't hear it, but whatever!!!

I'm a sucker for a nice southern accent, guys from the Mid West, Irish accents, and Canadian accents. Not like GSP's, lol. Apparently California is not where I belong!!!

Nothing..I repeat NOTHING tops the voice of a British guy!!!!! Forget the Aussies, Irish, and all others I melt for the Brits!!

Miss Foxy
12-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Oh no, this is where we might not get along!!! I love those accents, and I love the big 3!!! Love the Celtics!!!!

You like Miami?? Barf!!! Actually I don't know if you ever read that up until 4yrs ago I was a Celtics fan I even have a clover tattoo on my foot!! Oh the irony!! I hated the Lakers growing up!! LOL

rearnakedchoke
12-20-2010, 03:05 PM
You like Miami?? Barf!!! Actually I don't know if you ever read that up until 4yrs ago I was a Celtics fan I even have a clover tattoo on my foot!! Oh the irony!! I hated the Lakers growing up!! LOL

i think she might be talking about garnett, pierce and allen (rondo makes it the big four)

and south african girls (with the accent, afrikaner) ... are hot imo ...

Miss Foxy
12-20-2010, 03:06 PM
i think she might be talking about garnett, pierce and allen (rondo makes it the big four)

Oh probably so.. Big 3 is used to reference Miami, but I get it now. :) Haha. South African have not heard one..

KENTUCKYREDBONE
12-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Lol that's funny. My uncle from North Carolina has the nerve to call people with Texas accents rednecks. He lives in Texas and says that! LOL.. The nerve!:laugh:

That i9s kinda funny! To me I sound normal but others includeing my Wife cliam I have a strong accent. I have to overlook her though cuase She's from Indiana!:Whistle: Although sometimes She says She's been around me to long cuase her Family say's She sometimes sounds Kentuckian!

Primadawn
12-21-2010, 01:34 PM

Oh,really? Say the word "about". Yeah. You have an accent.

County Mike
12-21-2010, 02:00 PM
What are you talking aboot?

J.B.
12-21-2010, 02:18 PM
What are you talking aboot?

Love funny accents like that....

It reminds me of Christmas Story, especially during this time of year....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46WcFObgYhI

Neezar
12-21-2010, 02:42 PM

Love funny accents like that....

It reminds me of Christmas Story, especially during this time of year....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46WcFObgYhI

:laugh: That one is great.

This one from My Cousin Vinny

2 Yutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpNgONH2ncI

rearnakedchoke
12-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Oh,really? Say the word "about". Yeah. You have an accent.

About ... see, no difference

Spiritwalker
12-21-2010, 05:31 PM
About ... see, no difference

Sorry.. I don't understand your accent....:Whistle:

lyndsey823
12-22-2010, 11:21 AM

Yes, sorry my love but he's right, I was referring to the newest big 3 in Boston. Rondo is just icing on the cake. I don't think hes made it into the Big 3/4 status yet. Love that kid though :) I must admit, I've got major crushes on Pierce and Allen:) and I only like Miami because I'm a huge LeBron fan. Always have been :) I'm in a smiley face mood tonight lol