PDA

View Full Version : Woman sues McDonald's over Happy Meals

Spiritwalker
12-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Just curious as to what you people think about this...specifically the highlighted portion....

I honestly do not remember the last time I took my kids to McD's, Burger King or any of those places... My wife and I just educate our kids on it being "crap" food...

I think I did eat at McD's back in July.. I haad a craving for cheap beef and cheap 100 Isle dressing.. so I got a big mac on the way to the dojo... tasted GREAT.... but I was hating life about an hour later...

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/15/woman-sues-mcdonalds-over-happy-meals/?hpt=Sbin&hpt=C2

A California woman is suing McDonald's claiming the fast-food giant uses toys to market directly to young children. Monet Parham, a Sacramento, California, mother of two small children filed the lawsuit Wednesday in San Francisco along with health, nutrition and food safety advocates Center for Science in the Public Interest . CSPI is seeking court approval to proceed as a class action.

Parham, a 41-year old state employee, says her kids repeatedly ask for Happy Meals, mainly for the toys. "We have to say no to our kids so many times and McDonald's makes that so much harder to do. I object to the fact that McDonald's is getting into my kids' heads without my permission and actually changing what my kids want to eat."
Michael Jacobson, CSPI's executive director accused McDonald's of "one of the most insidious marketing practicesĖdangling a toy in front of a small child." Jacobson called the practice "unfair, deceptive and illegal' in California and many other states. "The food industry has a responsibility not to intrude into families by using sleazy marketing techniques getting kids to pester their parents."

Jacobson compared the tactics to tobacco companies marketing to kids with things like Joe Camel. "In this instance, McDonald's is worse. They are going straight at little kids. The company is using unfair techniques to persuade the kids to persuade the parents to go to McDonald's. Tobacco companies don't go after 3 year-olds. Neither does Coca Cola or Pepsi."

In 2006, fast food companies spent over $520 million on advertising and toys to market kids meals. More than $350 million of that was for toys alone. Last month, The San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed an ordinance that requires happy meals and other fast food offerings with toys meet new nutritional standards or be removed from menus. It goes into effect next December.

McDonald's says it is proud of its Happy Meals and will vigorously defend the company's brand, its reputation and its food. "We stand on our 30-year track record of providing a fun experience for kids and families at McDonald's," said Bridget Coffing, a company spokesperson. "We listen to our customers, and parents consistently tell us they approve of our Happy Meals. We are confident that parents understand and appreciate that Happy Meals are a fun treat, with quality, right-sized food choices for their children that can fit into a balanced diet."

This is not the first time CSPI has challenged fast food companies in court. In 2006 the organization went after Kellogg for marketing cereals loaded with sugar to children. In that case CSPI and Kellogg reached a settlement. CSPI also sued Kentucky Fried Chicken for frying its chicken in partially hydrogenated oil, which is high in trans fat. When KFC phased out the oil, CSPI dropped the lawsuit.

County Mike
12-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Ridiculous. Of course they're using toys to appeal to kids. Just like a million other companies.

I'm not suing Victoria's Secret just because they know my weakness.

J.B.
12-16-2010, 02:45 PM
I used to ask my parents for a BB Gun every Christmas and they just told me "You'll shoot your eye out kid". They didn't file a lawsuit against Daisy for making the Red Ryder and teaching kids to play with guns.

Whats even funnier about the lawsuit is that Mcdonalds actually offers alternatives that are healthier with their happy meals. Parents are certainly not being forced to feed their kids the french fries that are greasy and loaded with salt, or the soft drinks that are loaded with sugar, or the meat/cheese, and other ingredients that overly processed.

Sounds like another parent with San Franciscitus who needs a swift kick in the ass to realize how to tell her children NO, without feeling like it's society's fault.

Mark
12-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Sounds like another parent with San Franciscitus who needs a swift kick in the ass to realize how to tell her children NO, without feeling like it's society's fault.

Some parents do not know how to say no.

TENNESSEAN
12-16-2010, 03:03 PM
funny thing with kids, you only have to say yes once, you have to say no 100 times:laugh: no is the most used word in my vocabulary

J.B.
12-16-2010, 03:03 PM

Definitely sad but true

Spiritwalker
12-16-2010, 03:32 PM

Agreed.. but should they be able to sue a company because of their inability to parent?

I see things like this often when I am out and about.. in a store..

Kid - Mom... I want that...
Mom - Nope
Kid - Mommmmmmm!!!!
Mom- Ask your father...
Kid - But I want it NOWWWWWWW.....
Mom - OK, just be quite...

and please note that I am not talking about the occasional times when my kids say .. "can I have..."...

I do say sometimes .. "You know.. you have been espically good".. or "you did get all As on your report card... let's do something special for that"

Rev
12-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Agreed.. but should they be able to sue a company because of their inability to parent?

I see things like this often when I am out and about.. in a store..

Kid - Mom... I want that...
Mom - Nope
Kid - Mommmmmmm!!!!
Mom- Ask your father...
Kid - But I want it NOWWWWWWW.....
Mom - OK, just be quite...

and please note that I am not talking about the occasional times when my kids say .. "can I have..."...

I do say sometimes .. "You know.. you have been espically good".. or "you did get all As on your report card... let's do something special for that"

this is how it was when I was a kid. the world has fallen away from that. It needs to come back. Maybe we should teach a class.

Twinsmama
12-16-2010, 03:56 PM

usually the parents that are against spanking and think discipline is a time out. some parents are just scared to be parents.

i let my kids eat mcdonalds once in a while. same goes for soda and candy.

Mike you cracked me up with your comment!:laugh:

Spiritwalker
12-16-2010, 04:10 PM
this is how it was when I was a kid. the world has fallen away from that. It needs to come back. Maybe we should teach a class.

Let's do it...

My son lost his video game and phone privilidges for the next 2 days because he was rude in class.

My daughter had to run with a 12 lb medicine ball for 10 minutes because she interuppted class last night... and Santiago (my instructors son).. had to run with one also..

they were cutting up on the sidelines and just got too loud...

My kids aren't perfect.. but respect for your elders is top of the list.

I look back now and think that maybe we were a little hard on the kids last night.. all of them were there from 4:00 to 8:30.. and they are "kids".. but they need to learn self control..

Spiritwalker
12-16-2010, 04:15 PM
usually the parents that are against spanking and think discipline is a time out. some parents are just scared to be parents.

Don't get me wrong.. candy and fast food.. in moderation.. if you want sure... if you want to do it every day... go for it...

But to say it's McD's fault cause they have toys in their kids meals.. (no mention of the clowns and kiddie charaters...) that kids hound mom and dad about eating there.. is sad....

McD's fault cause a 10 year old kid weighs 115 pound?
McD's fault that the guy who ate their every day... died of heart faliure..he weighed 310 and was 5'8...

In Austraila.. people are up in arms that KFC is offering $500.00 gift cards...

Serious.. they say that it makes it too easy to eat unhealty food....

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

That's where we have been failing for years...

billwilliams70
12-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Great statement.

Later.

Dethbob
12-16-2010, 04:20 PM
On the rare occasion we get McDís for the kids they FREAK, itís like Christmas, how could these guys see something wrong with that? I think we should file a class action against these people for trying to suck the joy out of other peoplesí lives. If they canít handle adulthood, maybe we could arrange some sort of Ďgrow a pairí boot camp for them.

On a related note, my kids donít pester me for stuff they see on TV because I donít park them in front of it all day, I wonder if this lady has tried that.

Spiritwalker
12-16-2010, 04:23 PM
On a related note, my kids donít pester me for stuff they see on TV because I donít park them in front of it all day, I wonder if this lady has tried that.

:scared0011:You mean... [shudder] the TV ISN'T A BABYSITTER???? :scared0011:

I even heard one time.... it has an off switch.....

Chuck
12-16-2010, 04:34 PM

Well since it takes a village to raise a child it MUST be society's fault right??? :huh:

Idiots. Sheesh.

J.B.
12-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Well since it takes a village to raise a child it MUST be society's fault right??? :huh:

Idiots. Sheesh.

good one...:laugh:

Twinsmama
12-16-2010, 04:55 PM
People look at me weird when I say my kids don't get Mcdonalds very often. we also don't turn the tv on most days. when they get out of school they are either doing homework or outside playing (supervised of course we don't just send them out:laugh:) many nights the tv doesn't go on until everyone is already laying down. my kids also know that whining that they want something gets them nothing. i am certainly not scared of them. they know i'm the parent. there are consequences to everything. if you don't teach your kids that they will learn the hard way....ex. let them eat mcdonalds they will get fat.

my kids are 6 1/2 and weigh 55 lbs my neice is 1 year older and weighs 100lbs. guess which goes to mcdonalds all the time and eats it in front of the tv:laugh:

Miss Foxy
12-16-2010, 05:00 PM
They need to learn how to tell their kids NO! End of story. Spoiled little brats.

Miss Foxy
12-16-2010, 05:08 PM

I agree. Occasional trips arent gonna kill them! However my kids know better than to act up! They are my little soldiers! lol. One thing I can't stand are bratty, ill mannered, snot nosed kids!! Grrrrr.. Some of these new age parents try to use the "I'm gonna learn how to parent" reading manual!! Nothing wrong with an old fashioned spakin'!!

County Mike
12-16-2010, 05:22 PM

I think you're the only one who noticed it. Either that, or you're the only that appreciates my sense of humor.

Spiritwalker
12-16-2010, 05:24 PM
I think you're the only one who noticed it. Either that, or you're the only that appreciates my sense of humor.

looks like it flew over my head.

Ahh.... I see it..

Twinsmama
12-16-2010, 05:31 PM
if it even has the initial VS I notice it!:laugh: Yeah I find myself holding back some of my comments knowing most don't get my sense of humor.

NateR
12-16-2010, 05:31 PM

I remember they used to advertise the Happy Meal giveaways during Saturday morning cartoons and all it took was a few times of asking our parents for the toy, they said no every time without exception and we just stopped asking because we already knew the answer.

And we were NEVER allowed to cry or throw temper tantrums just because we didn't get what we wanted. That would warrant a spanking quicker than anything else.

My brother and I each got one Happy Meal when we were kids and that was bought for us by a family friend who took the whole family out to eat.

cubsfan47
12-17-2010, 06:51 AM
Ridiculous. Of course they're using toys to appeal to kids. Just like a million other companies.

I'm not suing Victoria's Secret just because they know my weakness.

:cool:

Bonnie
12-17-2010, 07:16 AM
If this gets to court, the judge should dismiss it, make her pay all court costs, force her to go to parenting classes, and make her clean the bathrooms at McDonalds for a year.

I think that will fix her Happy Meal problem. :rolleyes:

County Mike
12-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Great idea Bonnie. If you make a petition, I'll sign it. :)

KENTUCKYREDBONE
12-17-2010, 08:55 PM
This womans lawsuit should be throwed out of court! We don't need no dagummed food police!

Jonlion
12-23-2010, 08:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMzdAZ3TjCA

This for me answers this perfectly.

It is the parents role to say no and not at all McDonalds fault.

We used to get Happy Meals as a kid and it was a treat.