PDA

View Full Version : WATCHMEN

Llamafighter
03-03-2009, 03:44 PM
I just picked up the graphic novel last night to give it a reread. I read it probably 10-12 years ago. I really hope the movie does the book justice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VysrUsrhKbQ

VCURamFan
03-03-2009, 06:48 PM
I can't wait. My brother & I are Friday.

Llamafighter
03-03-2009, 07:53 PM
I can't wait. My brother & I are Friday.

I might be getting a ticket to a prescreenign tonight. won't know for another hour or so! I forgot how good the novel is!!

County Mike
03-03-2009, 08:52 PM
I never read the novel and don't even know much about the characters.

However, the trailers for the movie look really good. I want to see it - preferably in IMax.

Llamafighter
03-03-2009, 08:55 PM
I never read the novel and don't even know much about the characters.

However, the trailers for the movie look really good. I want to see it - preferably in IMax.

It's a great story and I think it will stand on it's own as a film. I'm curious ot see how they cut it. As it is the movie would be about 4 hours wrong...

Moose
03-03-2009, 09:36 PM
If Rorschach's persona is played well, the movie will be visually stunning enough to make it work for me. He is the lynchpin and the catalyst all in one.

County Mike
03-03-2009, 09:45 PM
It's a great story and I think it will stand on it's own as a film. I'm curious ot see how they cut it. As it is the movie would be about 4 hours wrong...

4 hours wrong? Are you Chinese and meant to say "long"?

Crisco
03-03-2009, 10:46 PM
4 hours wrong? Are you Chinese and meant to say "long"?

He is Korean Mother F'ER!

Llamafighter
03-03-2009, 11:32 PM
If Rorschach's persona is played well, the movie will be visually stunning enough to make it work for me. He is the lynchpin and the catalyst all in one.

Absolutely!!

NateR
03-09-2009, 02:35 AM
Mark and I went and saw this today. Really good movie, I was surprised by how faithful it was to the book. Mark enjoyed it too, which surprised me a bit because it is a little long and kind of drags some in the beginning; but that's just so that they can fully develop all of the characters.

One word of warning, this movie is NOT FOR KIDS! DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHILDREN TO SEE THIS MOVIE EVEN THOUGH IT IS ABOUT COMIC BOOK SUPER HEROES! Brutal graphic-violence, more than one explicit sex scene (including a partial rape scene), foul language, nudity to include full frontal male nudity (he's a computer generated character, but you can still see his wiener), lesbian kissing, and a very morally ambiguous ending.

So, this is not going to be like Spider-Man where you can watch the movie with your kids and then go to McDonalds to buy the Happy Meal toys. It's rated R for a reason.

Regardless, I would highly recommend this movie to anyone over 18. It's one of those films that, after it's over, will make you think "What would I do in that situation? Would I make the same choices? Would I stick to my values, if doing so guaranteed my destruction?"

As far as I could tell, Rorschach was a perfect translation from the comic book character to the big screen.

TexasRN
03-09-2009, 02:36 AM
Mark and I went and saw this today. Really good movie, I was surprised by how faithful it was to the book. Mark enjoyed it too, which surprised me a bit because it is a little long and kind of drags some in the beginning; but that's just so that they can fully develop all of the characters.

One word of warning, this movie is NOT FOR KIDS! DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHILDREN TO SEE THIS MOVIE EVEN THOUGH IT IS ABOUT COMIC BOOK SUPER HEROES! Brutal graphic-violence, more than one explicit sex scene (including a partial rape scene), foul language, nudity to include full frontal male nudity (he's a computer generated character, but you can still see his wiener), lesbian kissing, and a very morally ambiguous ending.

So, this is not going to be like Spider-Man where you can watch the movie with your kids and then go to McDonalds to buy the Happy Meal toys. It's rated R for a reason.

Regardless, I would highly recommend this movie to anyone over 18. It's one of those films that, after it's over, will make you think "What would I do in that situation? Would I make the same choices? Would I stick to my values, if doing so guaranteed my destruction?"

As far as I could tell, Rorschach was a perfect translation from the comic book character to the big screen.

Full frontal male nudity and it is only rated R? Wow.

~Amy

NateR
03-09-2009, 02:54 AM
Full frontal male nudity and it is only rated R? Wow.

~Amy

Well, the guy is blue and glowing and the nudity isn't presented in a sexual way. He just has no need for clothing, so he walks around naked in several scenes. Plus, it's not like they ever focus in on his genitals, but you are aware of them in the wide shots. So, the same rules apply as when you're in a male locker room: just block it out and maintain eye contact.:laugh:

Spiritwalker
03-09-2009, 04:54 AM
Well, the guy is blue and glowing and the nudity isn't presented in a sexual way. He just has no need for clothing, so he walks around naked in several scenes. Plus, it's not like they ever focus in on his genitals, but you are aware of them in the wide shots. So, the same rules apply as when you're in a male locker room: just block it out and maintain eye contact.:laugh:

Never ... EVER.. use the term wide.. when talking about male genitals... unless your referring to your own,...

NateR
03-09-2009, 04:59 AM
I meant wide-angle shots. :rolleyes:

Hughes_GOAT
03-09-2009, 05:00 AM

i wasn't interested in the movie but you sold me on it now, minus the "wiener" part of course..:tongue0011:

NateR
03-09-2009, 05:21 AM
i wasn't interested in the movie but you sold me on it now, minus the "wiener" part of course..:tongue0011:

I figured typing "lesbian kissing" would draw you like a moth to the flame. :laugh:

It really is in the movie, though, at the very beginning.

VCURamFan
03-09-2009, 05:24 AM
It was phenomenal. My brother & I saw it as soon as he got out of school Friday (he's a teacher). As nerdy fan-boys, we were most pleased!!

VCURamFan
03-09-2009, 05:25 AM
I figured typing "lesbian kissing" would draw you like a moth to the flame. :laugh:

It really is in the movie, though, at the very beginning.Now GOAT's not going to stay past 5min into the film, Nate!!

NateR
03-09-2009, 05:45 AM
As nerdy fan-boys, we were most pleased!!

I could make a Smurf-penis joke here, but I think I'll leave it alone. :laugh:

Hughes_GOAT
03-09-2009, 06:03 AM

It really is in the movie, though, at the very beginning.

count me in :cool:

cheachea
03-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Me and my wife went to go see it last night. Honestly the frontal nudity of the blue guy ruined the movie for me LOL:irked: I mean they showed the guy like 10 times.

County Mike
03-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Might have to skip out of work one day for long lunch - afternoon viewing.

I mean, how many movies have glowing blue wieners?

Llamafighter
03-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Awesome!! So glad it got eveyone's seal of approval. I'm seeing it this week. I'm rereading the book as a refresher and am so relieved to know that it stays true to the book.
I'm so amped now!!

Llamafighter
03-09-2009, 01:19 PM

I've heard from others that Rorshach was done perfectly to the letter. Thsi si great because I've always believed that he would be one of the hardest characters to translate.

Miss Foxy
03-09-2009, 02:53 PM
I just picked up the graphic novel last night to give it a reread. I read it probably 10-12 years ago. I really hope the movie does the book justice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VysrUsrhKbQ
Seen it Friday and I loved it!! I can hardly sit down and watch movies and I was into it the entire time tired from a hard day and all!!

Miss Foxy
03-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Well, the guy is blue and glowing and the nudity isn't presented in a sexual way. He just has no need for clothing, so he walks around naked in several scenes. Plus, it's not like they ever focus in on his genitals, but you are aware of them in the wide shots. So, the same rules apply as when you're in a male locker room: just block it out and maintain eye contact.:laugh: Exactly its male anatomy. Its not like he's walking around like Ron Jeremy..:blink:

Hughes_GOAT
03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
hey i don't care, as long as the boobies aren't blue too.

Moose
03-10-2009, 05:23 AM
Good flick. I was right.

We all know now for sure that Dr. Manhattan is God-like. I mean, the guy's jimmy didn't suffer from a millimeter of shrinkage, despite him being exposed to the frigid air of Antarctica.

Seriously though, *SPOILERS AHEAD, HIGHLITE TO VIEW!*

I'm surprised that they took out the part about the fake alien at the end. Now, instead of the US and the USSR uniting against a common foe, the friendship angle seems fake and forced because both parties are held hostage per se by Doc Manhattan.

/geek

Moose
03-10-2009, 05:24 AM
hey i don't care, as long as the feet aren't blue too.

fixed. game set and match!

Hughes_GOAT
03-10-2009, 05:32 AM
fixed. game set and match!

i have a foot fetish :cool:

Moose
03-10-2009, 05:36 AM

I drink too much sometimes. :crazy:

Hughes_GOAT
03-10-2009, 05:56 AM
I drink too much sometimes. :crazy:

game set and match huh? :laugh:

NateR
03-10-2009, 06:04 AM
Good flick. I was right.

We all know now for sure that Dr. Manhattan is God-like. I mean, the guy's jimmy didn't suffer from a millimeter of shrinkage, despite him being exposed to the frigid air of Antarctica.

Seriously though, *SPOILERS AHEAD, HIGHLITE TO VIEW!*

spoiler removed

/geek

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

I think the change to the ending is more in response to 9/11. The original event from the comic book was very similar in effect to the events on September 11th and the "peace" that followed was very temporary. They probably decided that they needed something bigger in scale to drive the ending home to a post-9/11 audience.

Now that I've had time to think it through, I actually like the change and I think it works better, since the "alien creature" from the comic would very quickly be revealed as a fake by any competent forensic scientist. Audiences have seen too many episodes of CSI to believe that every doctor and scientist in the world could be fooled by a Hollywood prop.

Primadawn
03-10-2009, 06:15 AM

I bet you do! :laugh:

Hughes_GOAT
03-10-2009, 06:21 AM
I bet you do! :laugh:

hey, it's the most common fetish among guys :Whistle:

Moose
03-10-2009, 06:23 AM
hey, it's the most common fetish among guys :Whistle:

I'm more a furry guy myself.

Hughes_GOAT
03-10-2009, 06:27 AM
I'm more a furry guy myself.

alrighty then

VCURamFan
03-10-2009, 06:38 AM
SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

I think the change to the ending is more in response to 9/11. The original event from the comic book was very similar in effect to the events on September 11th and the "peace" that followed was very temporary. They probably decided that they needed something bigger in scale to drive the ending home to a post-9/11 audience.

Now that I've had time to think it through, I actually like the change and I think it works better, since the "alien creature" from the comic would very quickly be revealed as a fake by any competent forensic scientist. Audiences have seen too many episodes of CSI to believe that every doctor and scientist in the world could be fooled by a Hollywood prop.In my opinion, I think they just cut out the alien squid because it would have taken an extra 30min of movie time to set it all up & then reveal at the end.

That being said, the official name for the energy bombs Veidt set off? Sub Quantum Unifying Intrinsic Devices: SQUIDs.:laugh:

Llamafighter
03-11-2009, 06:02 AM
SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

Now that I've had time to think it through, I actually like the change and I think it works better, since the "alien creature" from the comic would very quickly be revealed as a fake by any competent forensic scientist. Audiences have seen too many episodes of CSI to believe that every doctor and scientist in the world could be fooled by a Hollywood prop.

Just got home from seeing it with my wife and two friends
I 100 percent agree with the ending change. I thought the film was very well done and did the comic great justice. Will definitely be seeing it again.

que
03-11-2009, 06:11 AM
this movie looks interesting. i heard something about the blue man being exiled to mars and a short story follows where he narrates and explains how he spent 40 days 40 nights (or something similar to what Jesus Christ in the Bible did in the desert) before attaining his almost godlike status, and shows how he came to be like that

i don't know if that's all true but it sure sounds intriguing. i want to watch it for that scene alone