PDA

View Full Version : The Commons Vote distroys University Education

Tyburn
12-09-2010, 05:22 PM
:unsure-1: When I went to University We paid Three Thousand Pounds per year for Tuition Fees...leaving a total of about Nine Thousand after Graduation

The House of Commons voted today to allow the Universities to charge...wait for it

Nine Thousand PER YEAR....resulting in nearly 30 thousand pounds worth of debt on Graduation :laugh:

J.B.
12-09-2010, 06:06 PM
:unsure-1: When I went to University We paid Three Thousand Pounds per year for Tuition Fees...leaving a total of about Nine Thousand after Graduation

The House of Commons voted today to allow the Universities to charge...wait for it

Nine Thousand PER YEAR....resulting in nearly 30 thousand pounds worth of debt on Graduation :laugh:

In America the cost is usually almost triple that.

County Mike
12-09-2010, 07:03 PM
I think it was DESTROYED a long time ago.

Tyburn
12-09-2010, 07:34 PM
I think it was DESTROYED a long time ago.

Can you expound on that :huh:

I aggree that the Education system as a whole was damaged by the Labour Government that rulled from the mid 1990s, they ruined the Examinations just prior to degree level, then they ruined the institutuions by trying to force them to merge with each other.

Tyburn
12-09-2010, 07:44 PM
In America the cost is usually almost triple that.

That doesnt include the Student Loan...which is usually about 10K in total.
In America, dont you get "scholarships" which basically pay for a free University course, if its combined with a sports Minor or something :huh:

I'm in a quandery because I see both sides. I went to University and I loved it, and I feel like everyone should have the chance to go if they want to...but then I also see that now because half the population have been and have degrees, its devalued so much...it used to be that employers were impressed by degrees...but now, every one has a degree...and have the workforce is made up of people like me...got a degree, but not in a postgraduate level job by any stretch of the imagination.

Then I can also see that it must be hard for people to go through the education and come out with like hundreds of thousands of pounds in debt...but I also understand and appreciate the fact that the debt is only repaid if and when you get a job that pays about double what I earn...so then...is it really debt if you never earn that much in your life??? technically speaking, yes...but practically speaking...well..no. so whats the problem.

I cant decide where I fall on the issue, and as I am not longer a student, not going to go back to being a student, and dont have dependants that need education to that level...I'm kinda keeping deathly silent on the issue.

But it was bad today...central London, a warzone again with protestors and police...the Treasury was damaged, The Supreme Court was damaged...the bill only passed with a majority of 21 because half the people whose parties wanted them to vote yes...refused to vote yes...but didnt have the guts to vote no...so they all abstained.

One news report even suggested the demonstrators attacked a car carrying the direct heir to the Throne. What Prince Charles was doing anywhere near anything like that, one doesnt care to enquire about...honnestly..he's going to be meddlesome if he ever gets the crown...I can see him offering....unwanted....assistance to the Government :laugh:

County Mike
12-10-2010, 11:06 AM
In America, tuition costs at a good university can cost over $50,000 per year. Some people get scholarships if they are exceptional at sports or something, but most people do not get them. People take out student loans to pay for college and spend the first several years of their post-college employment paying back the loans.

My comment about the English university education being destroyed years ago was just a little joke about you misspelling it as "distroys". :)