PDA

View Full Version : Fears of Iran's nuclear program explained??

Spiritwalker
12-07-2010, 03:28 AM
Does anyone believe this???

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/12/06/iran.nuclear/index.html?hpt=C1

-- Iranian officials have been talking with the United States and other countries trying to put the brakes on Tehran's nuclear program. On Sunday, the head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization said Iran is now producing its own yellowcake and is self-sufficient in the nuclear fuel cycle.

What is yellowcake? What does it do and why does it matter?

Yellowcake is the lifeline of any civilian and military nuclear program. The powdery, often yellow substance is uranium ore concentrate that comes from processed, mined uranium ore.

Yellowcake is used to produce enriched uranium which is the fuel for nuclear power plants that generate electricity. Uranium enriched at levels between 70 to 90% can be used to build a nuclear bomb.

Producing yellowcake is an achievement for Iran because theoretically it will now be able to bypass strict U.N. sanctions that ban Iran from importing yellowcake from other countries.

Why does Iran want nuclear power?

Iran says it has a right to have a civilian nuclear program and enrich uranium for peaceful purposes as a signatory of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

Those who are suspicious about Iran's nuclear program wonder why Iran needs nuclear energy when it has among the world's largest reserves of oil and natural gas. Iran says nuclear power will free up more of its oil to export and that's more money for their struggling economy.

Why did Iran announce this development Sunday?

It was no coincidence that Iran's announcement on Sunday came 24 hours before its next round of talks with the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council and Germany, analysts say.

What happened at the talks

World powers, led by Washington, have imposed measures to weaken Iran's nuclear program. Analysts say the recent computer virus, Stuxnet, that hobbled some of Iran's nuclear facilities and the recent killing of an Iranian nuclear expert are signs that foreign governments could be using covert action to impede Iran's nuclear program.

Iran has accused the U.S. of involvement in the killing, a claim dismissed by Washington. Iran's defiant message on Sunday was, despite outside pressure, it is pressing ahead with its nuclear program.

Why is the rest of the world cautious about Iran's nuclear developments?

The U.N.'s nuclear watchdog, the IAEA, says there is no credible evidence that Iran is building a nuclear bomb but it has also reported concerns about alleged past studies by Iran on using nuclear material for weapons.

This year the IAEA reported Iran has yet to answer questions about those studies.

The U.S. and its allies say Iran's lack of transparency and its pattern of secrecy are evidence that Iran is using its nuclear program as a cover to build nuclear bombs.

Hasn't Iran been told to stop enrichment? Why has it continued?

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says enriching uranium for a peaceful nuclear program is an "inalienable right" that Iran doesn't plan to give up. Iranian leaders argue its hypocritical of Washington and its allies to protest Iran's right to enrich uranium when nuclear powers that are not signatories to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, like India, Pakistan and Israel, are able to continue their nuclear programs. Israel has never admitted that it has weapons.

How worried is the international community about Sunday's development?

Both U.S. and IAEA officials say Iran's ability to produce yellowcake is not a surprise. They say they've been aware that Iran has been working to master all stages of the nuclear fuel cycle, but western officials remain concerned.

White House National Security Council spokesman Mike Hammer told CNN Iran's announcement raises more questions about Iran's intentions, "given that Iran's own supply of uranium is not enough for a peaceful nuclear energy program."

Nuclear expert David Albright told CNN the mine Iran used to produce its yellowcake is too small to produce the tons of yellowcake necessary for a nuclear energy program, but could be used for a secret nuclear weapons program.

How long before Iran will be able to produce its own nuclear material -- and potentially build a bomb?

How long it would take Iran to make a bomb is in dispute with estimates varying from one year to as many as five. Experts say Iran has yet to obtain all the building blocks of a nuclear weapon like a delivery system.

The recent diplomatic cables leaked by the WikiLeaks website show Washington and its allies are concerned Iran is secretly working on mastering all the components of a nuclear bomb, despite the Iranian denials.

In the longer term, what can the international community do?

The international community appears to be encouraged with the impact of a fourth round of economic sanctions against Iran, but so far the combination of pressure and diplomacy have failed to curb Iran's nuclear ambitions.

Western diplomats say if Iran doesn't agree to ease fears about its nuclear program, they will take tougher actions against Iran.

Analysts say the recent computer virus that infiltrated Iran's nuclear program and the assassination of one of its nuclear experts signal that pressure against Iran will include more covert acts.

Is military action likely in the immediate future?

A military attack against Iran appears unlikely anytime soon, analysts say. Attacking Iran would be costly in both money and lives.

Iran could hit back by attacking Israel and shutting down the Strait of Hormuz, through which an estimated 40% of the world's oil travels. Iran could further destabilize neighboring Iraq and Afghanistan at a time when Washington is desperately looking to establish security in both countries.

Despite the unlikelihood of a military attack, the U.S. and its allies have never taken the option off the table.

Tyburn
12-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Well We do know for a fact that Iran has lied about where its nuclear stations are, and what they are doing...does that mean they are making a bomb...well it does mean they are untrustworthy

As for the attempts to slow Iran down. In the past the United States definately, and the United Kingdom, probably, and Israel certainly, have either helpped those who would look for revolution, or assassinated, or been involved in assassination plots on key figures, and leaders who they dont like or who they are fearful of.

Personally, I prefer it to all out war. I think if you are a country and you feel the only way to protect yourself is to use people who will quickly and precisely nutralize threats...I dont see the problem...just dont get caught :laugh:

Miss Foxy
12-07-2010, 09:06 PM
I have a firm belief Iran is our biggest threat.. Then, now, and forever.. I always have felt that. They are to never be trusted...:ninja:

rockdawg21
12-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I don't believe it. CNN is a bunch of liars. They jumped on the Obama bandwagon that he could save our economy and look where we are. The article is all lies and propaganda.

CAVEMAN
12-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Even if Iran is constructing nuclear weapons, about all we can do is institute more sanctions. The US CANNOT afford another war, we'll go broke doing so.
Hillary Clinton was correct when she said that our current national debt has become a matter of national security. And the sad fact is, the rest of the world knows it!

Spiritwalker
12-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Even if Iran is constructing nuclear weapons, about all we can do is institute more sanctions. The US CANNOT afford another war, we'll go broke doing so.
Hillary Clinton was correct when she said that our current national debt has become a matter of national security. And the sad fact is, the rest of the world knows it!

I feel we just need to use our existing manpopwer in a better way...

Tyburn
12-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Iran has little interest in attacking the US directly in a nuclear capacity.

When they get a Nuke, they will instead aim it at Israel.

The US will have no choice but to defend her....and they will...shes regarded as an unofficial terrirtory in many ways.

CAVEMAN
12-08-2010, 04:29 PM
It's probably not a far stretch though that Iran is manufacturing nuclear weapons. We all know that Iran hates America and hates Israel. The situation does need to be monitered.

Tyburn
12-08-2010, 04:38 PM
It's probably not a far stretch though that Iran is manufacturing nuclear weapons. We all know that Iran hates America and hates Israel. The situation does need to be monitered.

the worry I have with Iran...is that they seem to be totally fearless. You know, Korea will fire weapons every so often...but she's an attention seeker.

I reckon there will be NO DOUBT the moment Iran has a nuclear weapon because they will parade it through the streets, and I think they WOULD dare fire one at Israel.

They know the US loves Israel, but they also know they dont stand much of a chance taking on the US alone...so what they will do is threaten Israel..to the rest of the world who do not understand the significance of Israel, this will look like a spat between Israel and Iran...and so when the US wades into the frame, public support will be low because noone without a christian heratage will understand what Americas problem is from the outside...(as they didnt with that Hungarian Flottilla earlier this year) ...and for the inside, the American people are going to be struggling on the one hand with an economy in dire shape, and with China threatening to be the superpower, and on the other hand with the money it takes to go to endless war zones

The good news is...I am confident in two things...firstly that Israel can, and will dare to move at lightning speed to stop Iran ever getting a nuke....and secondly, that if a nuke is launched, the US can probably stop it with Starwars....although Obama halted the extention towards Europe in 2009 :sad:

Miss Foxy
12-08-2010, 04:39 PM

Very big +1!!!!!!

CAVEMAN
12-08-2010, 08:57 PM
the worry I have with Iran...is that they seem to be totally fearless. You know, Korea will fire weapons every so often...but she's an attention seeker.

I reckon there will be NO DOUBT the moment Iran has a nuclear weapon because they will parade it through the streets, and I think they WOULD dare fire one at Israel.

They know the US loves Israel, but they also know they dont stand much of a chance taking on the US alone...so what they will do is threaten Israel..to the rest of the world who do not understand the significance of Israel, this will look like a spat between Israel and Iran...and so when the US wades into the frame, public support will be low because noone without a christian heratage will understand what Americas problem is from the outside...(as they didnt with that Hungarian Flottilla earlier this year) ...and for the inside, the American people are going to be struggling on the one hand with an economy in dire shape, and with China threatening to be the superpower, and on the other hand with the money it takes to go to endless war zones

The good news is...I am confident in two things...firstly that Israel can, and will dare to move at lightning speed to stop Iran ever getting a nuke....and secondly, that if a nuke is launched, the US can probably stop it with Starwars....although Obama halted the extention towards Europe in 2009 :sad:

I'm not so sure about this one anymore, Dave. We could be drained very quickly financially!

Tyburn
12-08-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm not so sure about this one anymore, Dave. We could be drained very quickly financially!

Concerning attack on US soil directly:

Ahh, but this is where its not just your money that matters...Even if Iran was not frightened by your size of Military, or your weapons, or the money you dont have. That doesnt mean they will attack you directly. Why? Geography...do you realize how hard it would be for anyone outside of Canada or Mexico to declair war on the United States?? How do you get your bombs from where you are, to where they are, quickly, easily, cheaply, and...not just one bomb, but blitz her cities every night?

Even if you could...the United States is enormous...You cant bomb the whole country all the time...I mean, if you blitzed New York...you couldnt go on to do Washington, or Sanfransisco...you probably wouldnt even make it to Chicago...so think of trying to bomb even all her major cities, every night for a week, continuously?

Goodluck

dont forget, she can fight back...so you arrive on her east coast, enroute...to...I dont know...St Loius Missouri...you have a hell of a flight to even start your bombing raid...you cross the coast, and you spend the next few hours suffering continuous loss, without dropping a single bomb yourself...by the time your over your target...how many of you are left???

and a land invasion...not possible...you'd have to go state by state...and with them all being landlocked...

Now...I tell you, with Starwars...you wouldnt reach the Atlantic.

No. The practicalities of fighting America are beyond anyone, besides maybe China, or Russia, by sea and air over the pacific.

Even if you launched a nuke, and it was successful...one nuke wont distroy her...wont even cripple her unless you hit Washington and get lucky with catching her by suprise...she will simply relocate president and congress to a different city...how many Nukes do you have?? coz she has a LOT of BIG cities.

Concerning attack on US by way of Israel:

There is a big difference between this hypothetical war, and the two your country have been dealing with in the last decade.

The Victim of war does not have the liberty to choose whether or not to defend themselves.

In both Afghanistan and Iraq, the United States was the aggressor, in terms of of war. With Afghanistan, George Bush issued an Ultimatum to Afghanistan to hand over the terrorists or war would happen. With Iraq George Bush told Saddam to hand over the Weapons of Mass Distruction, or war would happen.

In both cases, the United States made the active choice to go to war.

Now in the case of our hypothetical war, Iran is the aggressor, Iran will issue the ultimatum. I suppose you could say that The United States could avoid war by complying...but this is almost never given in war. It happened, only once last century...and that was when Adolf Hitler summoned the President of the Check Republic, and in person told him exactly what he was going to do. I dont see a United States President EVER accepting defeat like that

Now Israel was effectively created by US and UK forces after the Second World war...and it was a piece of land Annexed from the rest of the Arab population, and given to the Citizens of Israel. The Christian Right...and probably a lot of the Democratic Left also, would aggree that Israel is effectively a territory of of America. America helpped Create her, America helps arm her, America helps train her forces.

Believe me, if Israel was seriously attacked (and I dont mean daily bombardment from Palestine) If she was threatened, or if she was invaded...I think the United States would react Regardless of her Financial issues.

Its ironic...because she is only full of money now, because Her Parents suffered EXACTLY the fate I am talking about. You understand it was because we went to War when we couldnt afford it, twice, in fifty years, that we lost our status as super power, our Empire, everything. There is a large possibility that your Country will go down defending either herself (if Iran really is that brave) or defending Israel (which is far more likely) She will do it because it is her duty, and she knows it. She will fight Tyrany, even if it strips her of her wealth and power. She is very sincere about her beliefs.

But I suspect she will just consider it a direct attack on her, like Pearl Harbour, and when your nation comes under direct attack, you dont stop, and give a national referendum, or a congressional vote on whether you have the funds to actually do it. You simply act to stop Nukes hitting Jerusalem, or Tel Aviv, or Washington, or New York...or wherever

If you do not, you will looose the war. When attacked you will have no option to consider anything other then defence, regardless of the long term consequences...which could be life on Earth under an Oriental...or even Russian Super power once again.

Play The Man
12-10-2010, 07:45 AM
Hopefully, Stuxnet will make this a moot point . . . At least in the short term.:unsure-1:

Tyburn
12-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Hopefully, Stuxnet will make this a moot point . . . At least in the short term.:unsure-1:

:laugh: yes...that was rather naughty wasnt it :laugh: