PDA

View Full Version : The new True Grit

TENNESSEAN
11-26-2010, 02:34 AM
http://www.truegritmovie.com/?gclid=CK67sLDCvaUCFcXs7QodkyUZXw

this was a big discussion at our thanksgiving table. it looks cool but i would rather them leave the dukes movies alone.

what do you guys think?

Llamafighter
11-26-2010, 03:10 AM
http://www.truegritmovie.com/?gclid=CK67sLDCvaUCFcXs7QodkyUZXw

this was a big discussion at our thanksgiving table. it looks cool but i would rather them leave the dukes movies alone.

what do you guys think?

They shouldn't remake movies. they should finance the people with original ideas!

Spiritwalker
11-26-2010, 12:03 PM
They shouldn't remake movies. they should finance the people with original ideas!

I whole hearted agree with you.

Granted there are some movies that could use a "remake" just cause the idea got "lost".. but why remake The Karate Kid.. That movie should have just been called the "Kung Fu Kid".. as an homage to the orginals.. and there is a Karate Kid 2 already in preproduction...

Why remake The Lost Boys?? Why remake Highlander...???? (There can be only one!)

I was ok with the reboot of "The Hulk".. but why keep "rebooting" everything..

Move on to different.. stop rehashing...

J.B.
11-26-2010, 02:16 PM
The Coen brothers are great film-makers, and I'm sure it will be good. They have made some of my favorite movies over the years, from Raising Arizona and O' Brother Where Art Thou, to The Big Lebowski and No Country for Old Men.

True Grit was adapted from a novel in the first place, and their take isn't meant to be an exact remake of the movie John Wayne was in.

Ethan Coen had this to say about their adaptation of the novel.

It's partly a question of point-of-view. The book is entirely in the voice of the 14-year-old girl. That sort of tips the feeling of it over a certain way. I think [the book is] much funnier than the movie was so I think, unfortunately, they lost a lot of humour in both the situations and in her voice. It also ends differently than the movie did. You see the main character — the little girl — 25 years later when she's an adult. Another way in which it's a little bit different from the movie — and maybe this is just because of the time the movie was made — is that it's a lot tougher and more violent than the movie reflects. Which is part of what's interesting about it

flo
11-26-2010, 04:44 PM

Seconded.

County Mike
11-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Most of the remakes I've liked were of movies I never heard of in the first place. When they remake a classic, they're giving themselves some really big shoes to fill.

I did like Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween. I liked how he showed Michael Myers' childhood to explain what made him such a psycho in the first place.

Spiritwalker
11-26-2010, 07:27 PM
I did like Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween. I liked how he showed Michael Myers' childhood to explain what made him such a psycho in the first place.

You do have a point there.. there was much more to the story in Zombies remake.

But remember the "shot for shot" remake of Psycho? Why bother ??

NateR
11-27-2010, 12:53 AM
I didn't realize True Grit was a novel before it was a John Wayne movie. So it's not really a remake of the movie, it's more of a re-adaptation of the novel. In the same way that Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy is a re-adaptation of JRR Tolkien's books and not a remake of the 1978 Ralph Bakshi animated film.

Either way it looks like an interesting film.

surveyorshawn
11-27-2010, 02:21 PM
I have to agree with J.B. & Nate. The new True Grit is not a remake of the John Wayne film, but it is based wholly on the novel. I read something on it where the producers & some of the actors were talking about it, and they said they are not using the Wayne movie, which departed from the novel quite a bit, at all. I loved the original movie, but this one looks like it will be great as well

Rev
11-28-2010, 09:22 PM
gonna have to side with Nate, JB, and my buddy Shawn on this one. I love to see 2 different views of a book and this should prove to be interesting.

BTW, I also say, leave the Duke alone. but this isnt a remake.

TENNESSEAN
11-29-2010, 01:53 AM
the trailers look pretty close to the john wayne movie to me. I tried to explain the adaptation of the novel idea to my wife.

she ain't buying it, shes ready to lynch Jeff bridges. :laugh: hes in tron for crying out loud.:Whistle:

VCURamFan
11-29-2010, 04:11 PM
I have only one question concerning this movie:

Is it possible for the Coen Brothers to do a movie without Josh Brolin in it?