PDA

View Full Version : What does it say in your Passport

Tyburn
03-02-2009, 08:28 PM
:laugh:

I read mine for the first time today...and was blown away by the...Imperial tone of the document

"Her Britannic Majestys Secretary of State Requests and Requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hinderance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be neccessary"

If I'd have known it were so simple when I was being quizzed by that Customs official upon entry to the U.S...I would simply have said "Excuse me Madame, would you please follow the request and requirements as stated in the first page of my passport, and cease with the Hinderance if you please!" :laugh: :laugh:

Dont worry...I'll flatter the Customs Officials again in the fall. :rolleyes:

VCURamFan
03-02-2009, 08:31 PM

I read mine for the first time today...and was blown away by the...Imperial tone of the document

"Her Britannic Majestys Secretary of State Requests and Requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hinderance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be neccessary"

If I'd have known it were so simple when I was being quizzed by that Customs official upon entry to the U.S...I would simply have said "Excuse me Madame, would you please follow the request and requirements as stated in the first page of my passport" :laugh: :laugh:

Dont worry...I'll flatter the Customs Officials again in the fall. :rolleyes:Yeah, but the US isn't under British authority, so Customs isn't required to let you in. If you try to tell a US Official that they must le you in 'cause the Queen said so, you're gonna get laughed at.

Tyburn
03-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Yeah, but the US isn't under British authority, so Customs isn't required to let you in. If you try to tell a US Official that they must le you in 'cause the Queen said so, you're gonna get laughed at.
That doesnt matter. This isnt a Commonwealth Passport...its a passport for use in any country...Imagine what it would do to British/American relations if they turned someone away without reason...or for the reason above...can you picture what would appear in English tabloids :laugh:

But I would never demand...because its rude....It should be considered a request...rather then an assertion of authority...thats what suprised me Ben when I read it...it reads like the U.S would have no choice but to let someone with a passport in...and in this day and age...I find it strange to present an authority NOT under the Soverignty with an ultimatum from HM The Queen regarding her citizens in a foreign land.

Plus...Secretary of State??? There is no such position. We have ministers for different jobs. together they would create the collective impression of a Secretary of State...but..thats not exactly an officially used title...Minister for Foreign Affairs...thats probably as close as it gets.

Talk about out of date :mellow:

Jonlion
03-02-2009, 09:01 PM
There was a time when the British passport could literally get you anywhere in the world.

To have a British passport meant the world was your oyster!

TexasRN
03-02-2009, 09:09 PM
I don't have a passport. I have no desire to travel out of the US at this point in time so no need for me to get one. When I'm rich, I'll get one.

~Amy

matthughesfan21
03-02-2009, 09:16 PM
no passport for me

Jonlion
03-02-2009, 09:23 PM
I like the American passports they look good!

And shame on you for not owning one!

Now i am well aware America has everything, every climate, every terrain, i mean you can do it all there so why go elsewhere!!

But Europe has History!

And its worth coming to see it, at least just London, Paris, Rome, that is obligatory!

Tyburn
03-02-2009, 09:57 PM
There was a time when the British passport could literally get you anywhere in the world.

To have a British passport meant the world was your oyster!
Aye,...those were the days :frantics:

...and Jonlion is right in both senses...the US has a little bit of everything...if you dont travel internationally...you should still travel Nationally if possible.

But...Europe and Asia and North Africa...and possibly Meso-America...well they are worth exploring for their extensive history and lasting cultures.

...Or I could just come to you :rolleyes: :laugh:

TexasRN
03-02-2009, 10:07 PM
I've traveled both in and out of the US. For now, I will stay right where I am.

~Amy

Tyburn
03-02-2009, 10:31 PM

~Amy
:huh: Really? have you ever been to England :w00t:

matthughesfan21
03-02-2009, 10:42 PM
I like the American passports they look good!

And shame on you for not owning one!

Now i am well aware America has everything, every climate, every terrain, i mean you can do it all there so why go elsewhere!!

But Europe has History!

And its worth coming to see it, at least just London, Paris, Rome, that is obligatory!hmmm...lets see, pay for college or travel the world...I'll take the education right now...doesn't mean I won't at some point, but I gotta have my priorities straight right now

VCURamFan
03-02-2009, 10:45 PM
hmmm...lets see, pay for college or travel the world...I'll take the education right now...doesn't mean I won't at some point, but I gotta have my priorities straight right nowYeah, but you should get a passport anyway, just in case something comes up.

TexasRN
03-02-2009, 10:46 PM
:huh: Really? have you ever been to England :w00t:

Nope, I've been to Germany (lived there) and visited Mexico. I want to go to Italy, Scotland, Ireland, Spain, and Greece. Oh and Australia. I'm not sure that I will ever travel to England. You just have to come here, sorry.

~Amy

matthughesfan21
03-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Yeah, but you should get a passport anyway, just in case something comes up.in case something comes up? Like I need to make an emergency trip to Saskatchewan?:blink:

VCURamFan
03-02-2009, 10:48 PM
in case something comes up? Like I need to make an emergency trip to Saskatchewan?:blink:Hey, you never know!:laugh:

Jonlion
03-02-2009, 10:49 PM
hmmm...lets see, pay for college or travel the world...I'll take the education right now...doesn't mean I won't at some point, but I gotta have my priorities straight right now

i didnt mean it in an arsey way, i hoped the message inferred i was gently poking. But in fairness, you answer was one word, dont have one, with no other explantion so.............it was open.

As a side note, i pay for college but have still got away to different places but i have been fortunate that my work pays well and i work real hard over the summer and breaks to do it!

Hughes_GOAT
03-02-2009, 10:50 PM

~Amy
America rules, everywhere else is lame :tongue0011:

bradwright
03-02-2009, 10:50 PM
in case something comes up? Like I need to make an emergency trip to Saskatchewan?:blink:
for some authentic seal skin rubbers maybe?

you could wind up in worse places,,:laugh:

Jonlion
03-02-2009, 11:04 PM
America rules, everywhere else is lame :tongue0011:

Ah beautiful!

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg186/jonlion/019.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J3gX47rHGg&feature=related

I know you all Love old London town for

"the man who tires of London, tires of life, for there is in London all that Life can afford"
Samuel Johnson

Tyburn
03-02-2009, 11:05 PM
not sure that I will ever travel to England. You just have to come here, sorry.

~Amy
Your wish is my command :frantics:

Tyburn
03-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Ah beautiful!

Viewed from afar you get a better ideal of why the Houses of Commons, is really a "Palace" its a Royal Palace that was taken over by Government :laugh:

Jonlion
03-02-2009, 11:11 PM
My favourite part is Westminster Abbey! I can just imagine i all going off in there!

Tyburn
03-02-2009, 11:17 PM
My favourite part is Westminster Abbey! I can just imagine i all going off in there!
:ninja: forget the Abbey....its really quite shabby...its dark, its narrow, it has a choir screen so its stupid for big services since half the congrgation cant see the altar...

noooo my dear chap...The Peoples Cathedral is soooo much better

whet your lips... :w00t: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YstlGy1Ld0

NateR
03-02-2009, 11:27 PM
I've been to Germany, Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Bosnia, Ireland, South Korea and Mexico and never needed a passport until recently when I went to see Matt fight in England.

BTW, my passport says:
"The United States of America is awesome and your country sucks! So you better let us in because we can only enrich this craphole you call a nation with our presence here."

VCURamFan
03-02-2009, 11:28 PM
BTW, my passport says:
"The United States of America is awesome and your country sucks! So you better let us in because we can only enrich this craphole you call a nation with our presence here."Amen!!!!:laugh:

Hughes_GOAT
03-02-2009, 11:30 PM
I've been to Germany, Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Bosnia, Ireland, South Korea and Mexico and never needed a passport until recently when I went to see Matt fight in England.

BTW, my passport says:
"The United States of America is awesome and your country sucks! So you better let us in because we can only enrich this craphole you call a nation with our presence here."
yeah, that sounds spot on :cool:

Spiritwalker
03-02-2009, 11:30 PM

BTW, my passport says:

RGR THAT!!

TexasRN
03-02-2009, 11:31 PM

BTW, my passport says:

:w00t:

~Amy

Spiritwalker
03-02-2009, 11:33 PM
DUDE.. I was in the top car...

When Sue Storm held the whole damn thing up and her self with her force field.. of course Ben Grimm was helping.. Johnny screwed up and switched powers with Reed who then used the Torch's flames to weld the whole thng back together again...

I had pictures.. buy the Von Doom corporation took my camera!

Tyburn
03-02-2009, 11:36 PM
figures :rolleyes:

Jonlion
03-02-2009, 11:37 PM
DUDE.. I was in the top car...

When Sue Storm held the whole damn thing up and her self with her force field.. of course Ben Grimm was helping.. Johnny screwed up and switched powers with Reed who then used the Torch's flames to weld the whole thng back together again...

I had pictures.. buy the Von Doom corporation took my camera!

Ha ha!

Jonlion
03-02-2009, 11:40 PM
:ninja: forget the Abbey....its really quite shabby...its dark, its narrow, it has a choir screen so its stupid for big services since half the congrgation cant see the altar...

noooo my dear chap...The Peoples Cathedral is soooo much better

whet your lips... :w00t: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YstlGy1Ld0

See i am an medievalist, you think of the Normans in the Abbey and all past Kings. I love it in there!

Tyburn
03-02-2009, 11:45 PM
See i am an medievalist, you think of the Normans in the Abbey and all past Kings. I love it in there!
:rolleyes: fine...have it your way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKNmlXXvl0c :laugh:

Spiritwalker
03-03-2009, 12:36 AM
Mine says - The Secretary of State of the United States of America hereby requests all whom it may concern to permit the citizen/national of the United States named herein to pass without delay or hindrance and in case of need to give all lawful aid and protection.

I am looking to go to Okinawa this summer.. (late) and I am SERIOUSLY looking forward to it!!, and my job may be sending me to India for 3 or 4 weeks.. Last summer was Colombia..

I am hoping to go to Egypt before I get to old to enjoy it.

bradwright
03-03-2009, 12:41 AM
mine doesn't say anything,,you actually have to read it,,:wink:

Tyburn
03-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Mine says - The Secretary of State of the United States of America hereby requests all whom it may concern to permit the citizen/national of the United States named herein to pass without delay or hindrance and in case of need to give all lawful aid and protection.

I am looking to go to Okinawa this summer.. (late) and I am SERIOUSLY looking forward to it!!, and my job may be sending me to India for 3 or 4 weeks.. Last summer was Colombia..

I am hoping to go to Egypt before I get to old to enjoy it.
Yeah...but thats not to bad or imperial...it only has "requests" and it doesnt try to claim the authority of anyone...not even the President.

warriorlion
03-03-2009, 05:35 PM

Plus...Secretary of State??? There is no such position. We have ministers for different jobs. together they would create the collective impression of a Secretary of State...but..thats not exactly an officially used title...Minister for Foreign Affairs...thats probably as close as it gets.

:

appears you are only half right mate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_of_State_(United_Kingdom)

Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (usually referred to as the Foreign Secretary) (1782; took current name 1968)
Secretary of State for the Home Department (usually referred to as the Home Secretary) (1782)
Secretary of State for Scotland (1926)
Secretary of State for Defence (1964)
Secretary of State for Wales (1964)
Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (1968; took current name 2001)
Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (1972)
Secretary of State for Transport (1976; name not used 1979–1981; subsumed in other Departments 1997–2002)
Secretary of State for Health (1988)
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport (1992; took current name 1997)
Secretary of State for International Development (1997)
Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (2001)
Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (2006)
Secretary of State for Justice (2007)
Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families (2007)
Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills (2007)
Secretary of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (2007)
Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change (2008)

rockdawg21
03-04-2009, 02:21 AM
My passport reads:

Here lies Billy Brown
Lost at sea and never found