PDA

View Full Version : Harrogate Borough Council Strikes Again

Tyburn
11-15-2010, 11:11 AM
:angry:

So first they tell me that I will at best be allowed half my benefits if I go into a part buy, part rent sitution on the property ladder...at worst, they will give me no help at all.

Now they are voiding a letter they sent me on the 7th July this year. In that letter it says I am entitled to a price freeze on my membership that "will guarantee your membership fee will not increase ever again" it tells me "terms and conditions apply" but never sent me a copy of whatever they were.

Now I get a letter saying because I was originally on a GP referal system, it was an accident that I got sent the letter and it doesnt apply. the best they can offer me is a scheme more then 15 pound a month then I pay now.

Its nothing but a money grabbing ploy, which I might say doesnt count to those who are out of work!!! out of work, you get benefits, and benefits entitle you to that price...but if you are in full time work...but its not well paid enough to afford it...then tough.

I've just been on the phone speaking to the woman...:cry: she tells me if I dont change schemes they will cancel my membership between Christmas and New Year.

I dont know what to do. :sad:

Tyburn
11-15-2010, 01:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f0DNJUdttw I started by ranting about it on youtube.

Then I visited the Council offices, and the Hydro and had kittens.

Now I'm checking out another local gym before I decide what to do.

I am planning on writing to the local press later today.

I am very cross about this :angry:

REMY
11-15-2010, 09:11 PM
So this is for a gym membership? What's " part rent part own" mean?

Tyburn
11-15-2010, 10:05 PM
So this is for a gym membership? What's " part rent part own" mean?

I am fighting two different wars with Harrogate Borough Council.

The first is a despute about housing. I want to buy a house, but I cant because I dont have the money, and my wage is so low, I cant borrow the ammount I would need from a bank.

BUT

In England there is such a thing as "Part buy" this is when you decide to buy a house with a housing agency. You borrow an ammount from the bank for HALF the value of the house, and you slowly buy out the Housing Agency who owns the other half by paying them rent until such time as you can buy them out.

Now, at present I pay 400 pounds on rent, and get nothing for it. I have discovered places in Harrogate that I can part buy with a housing agency, where the rent is 200 pounds, and the mortgage is 200 pounds...so I still pay 400 pounds a month, but eventually own my own home.

One slight problem. The Council will give me 100 pounds a month to help with my rent...but if I go into a part buy, they will withdraw all their funding.

I was so angry (since it was the same amount going out...an ammount they termed as "minescule") that I wrote to various senior officials of my Government about it.

The second issue was about the gym. I pay 30pounds per month that entitles me to gym and swim membership. I got it because I was refered by a Doctor, who said I was overweight and depressed. The course lasted 6 weeks. After which they said I could stay on at the gym, for the same price. A year later, they wrote to me, and told me that because I was a loyal customer, they would freeze my membership price forever. That was about five months ago

Today they asked me why I was still paying a GP referal rate on a 6 week contract that expired over a year ago. They told me I couldnt do it, and they would take away my membership, if I wanted to join, I could do so at 45 pounds per month.

So I showed them the letter with their promise of an eternal price freeze, and they basically told me they were the council and could do what they want, and were voiding the promise. So...I have arranged alternative gym membership somewhere else...at 40pounds...it was the cheapest there was...and there is no swimming pool...but I can go and pay on one off visits to the council pool anytime.

Tomorrow I shall go an cancel my membership, and lodge a formal complaint, with both the council and the sports centre they run (the council blame the sports centre for saying I could do it...the sports centre say the council have restructured and wont honnour prior aggreements that were permitted at the time)

I've had enough...so I shall write to the Harrogate Advertizer, and Harrogate Herald...the predominant newspapers in this area, and publically shame them.

:laugh: I am not to be ****ed with :laugh: Especially if you are a large, money grabbing institution that tells lies and backtracks on written contracts. I still have to check with the Citizens Advice, to see if what this council is doing, is even legal. :ninja:

REMY
11-16-2010, 04:50 AM
I am fighting two different wars with Harrogate Borough Council.

The first is a despute about housing. I want to buy a house, but I cant because I dont have the money, and my wage is so low, I cant borrow the ammount I would need from a bank.

BUT

In England there is such a thing as "Part buy" this is when you decide to buy a house with a housing agency. You borrow an ammount from the bank for HALF the value of the house, and you slowly buy out the Housing Agency who owns the other half by paying them rent until such time as you can buy them out.

Now, at present I pay 400 pounds on rent, and get nothing for it. I have discovered places in Harrogate that I can part buy with a housing agency, where the rent is 200 pounds, and the mortgage is 200 pounds...so I still pay 400 pounds a month, but eventually own my own home.

One slight problem. The Council will give me 100 pounds a month to help with my rent...but if I go into a part buy, they will withdraw all their funding.

I was so angry (since it was the same amount going out...an ammount they termed as "minescule") that I wrote to various senior officials of my Government about it.

Ahh ok now i understand - on the gym thing yeah that's messed up i agree with you.

Now with the housing thing - you said "the council" i'm guessing that the government gives you $$$ to help with housing because you make a small wage, correct?

If that's the case - i can both sides. Your side is - you're trying to buy a house and they won't continue the funding wtf?? i get ya on that i can see where you're coming from.
Their side is "we will help this guy pay rent by giving him 100lbs a month...but to buy a house...if he feels he's up for it he should be able to do it on his own without government assistance, then we can provide assistance to others who are living worse off than him"

That's why i can see both your side and the Council's side, you're trying to better yourself by buying a house. They say if you're well off enough to own then do it on your own. it's a tough situation Dave...though 400lbs a month for mortgage? that's crazy cheap! lol i pay double that for rent!! lol i need to move to England!!

Tyburn
11-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Ahh ok now i understand - on the gym thing yeah that's messed up i agree with you.

Now with the housing thing - you said "the council" i'm guessing that the government gives you $$$ to help with housing because you make a small wage, correct?

If that's the case - i can both sides. Your side is - you're trying to buy a house and they won't continue the funding wtf?? i get ya on that i can see where you're coming from.
Their side is "we will help this guy pay rent by giving him 100lbs a month...but to buy a house...if he feels he's up for it he should be able to do it on his own without government assistance, then we can provide assistance to others who are living worse off than him"

That's why i can see both your side and the Council's side, you're trying to better yourself by buying a house. They say if you're well off enough to own then do it on your own. it's a tough situation Dave...though 400lbs a month for mortgage? that's crazy cheap! lol i pay double that for rent!! lol i need to move to England!!

The thing that annoys me is, they told me it was a minsecule ammount...and the Mortgage/rent combo IS THE SAME AMMOUNT AS THE RENT. They can help me with rent...but the same amount split between a mortgage and a rent they cant??? and yet...if I couldnt afford a house AT ALL, they would provide one free (well completely covered by benefits) like they do for the immigrants.

Its about priorities...Its low paid single citizens they need to help more then out of work, and more then immigrants.

Secondly...400 pounds a month is NOT the same as 400 dollars...its about 600-700 dollars...I pay that on rent as it is...so its no change...and yes I was suprised it would ever be that cheap :laugh:

REMY
11-16-2010, 04:34 PM
I know 400pounds isn't equal to 400dollars..I pay $1300 a month for rent lol thankfully the military provides me with a monthly allowance to pay rent and utilities.

Tyburn
11-16-2010, 05:02 PM
I know 400pounds isn't equal to 400dollars..I pay $1300 a month for rent lol thankfully the military provides me with a monthly allowance to pay rent and utilities.

So your living of state benefits to :mellow:

:laugh::laugh:

REMY
11-16-2010, 06:12 PM
So your living of state benefits to :mellow:

:laugh::laugh:

not really, in the US Military if you are unable to live on your base, you have to find housing off base. If you do the Military provides you with additional funding to pay for the residance, they give you a set amount depending on your rank and marital status, for the area you're in. In the area i'm in (southern NJ) they give a certain amount, if i lived in San Francisco i'd get about $1000 more a month because housing is more expensive there. The $$ is called Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)

If i had to pay for rent/mortgage just off of my paycheck i wouldn't be able too.

If you choose / are told to live on base you don't get this extra $$ because you don't have to pay rent there...or utilities.

In the U.S. when i hear "State benifets" i automatically think of welfare lol which this is not.

Tyburn
11-16-2010, 06:59 PM
not really, in the US Military if you are unable to live on your base, you have to find housing off base. If you do the Military provides you with additional funding to pay for the residance, they give you a set amount depending on your rank and marital status, for the area you're in. In the area i'm in (southern NJ) they give a certain amount, if i lived in San Francisco i'd get about $1000 more a month because housing is more expensive there. The $$ is called Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)

If i had to pay for rent/mortgage just off of my paycheck i wouldn't be able too.

If you choose / are told to live on base you don't get this extra $$ because you don't have to pay rent there...or utilities.

In the U.S. when i hear "State benifets" i automatically think of welfare lol which this is not.

The difference between me and you hear, which might help you understand my situation...is that It is impossible for me to "live on base" and yet I am still expected to make ends meet "just off of my paycheck"

Imagine for a moment, you couldnt live on base, but still had to pay your way...and yet were STILL in full time employment...and worse...are alone, so you dont benefit from a partners pay.

See I can just about rent. Just about...but I can pay thousands across the years and never actually own the house. Eternal Rent, money down the drain...at least with a mortgage even if it takes thirty years to repay...each payment leads a step towards independance.

Now imagine your base, allowed Civillians, to live on your base, in your place, and they, of course, get it all paid for them.

Would that make you angry?

Imagine, if your base had a huge court house on it, where Military Disciplinaries from all across the country take place...and you see those criminals, are put up, on your base, for the duration of their trial...some of whom dont deserve to wear the uniform

That is why I am angry at the council. They will, see fit to cover the complete costs of people who are morally reprehensable, and create families they cant afford...but they will not help me.

They will also allow complete outsiders, foreign nationals, illegals, to live, and cover the cost...but they will not help me.

They told me my benefits were minescule...yet the same outgoing split between rent and a mortgage. suddenly breaks the bank??? its still the same bloody minescule ammount.

If I had a partner of course, I would be better off, because of two incomes.

So being Single and in a low piad job, is WORSE then ANYTHING else in this country...couples...illegals...moral scum....and foreigners all get a better deal from My Government...and half of them arent even True Citizens.

I am glad your military either houses you, or assures you can afford it...because they look after you better then my Government looks after me...and unlike the Military...in Britain, it is half the duty of the Government to look out for and provide for its citizens...even the US Military, that doesnt have any obligation to provide...does a better job.

Wanna swap places :ashamed: plllllleaaaaase :w00t:

TexasRN
11-16-2010, 07:41 PM
The difference between me and you hear, which might help you understand my situation...is that It is impossible for me to "live on base" and yet I am still expected to make ends meet "just off of my paycheck"

Imagine for a moment, you couldnt live on base, but still had to pay your way...and yet were STILL in full time employment...and worse...are alone, so you dont benefit from a partners pay.

See I can just about rent. Just about...but I can pay thousands across the years and never actually own the house. Eternal Rent, money down the drain...at least with a mortgage even if it takes thirty years to repay...each payment leads a step towards independance.

Now imagine your base, allowed Civillians, to live on your base, in your place, and they, of course, get it all paid for them.

Imagine, if your base had a huge court house on it, where Military Disciplinaries from all across the country take place...and you see those criminals, are put up, on your base, for the duration of their trial...some of whom dont deserve to wear the uniform

That is why I am angry at the council. They will, see fit to cover the complete costs of people who are morally reprehensable, and create families they cant afford...but they will not help me.

They will also allow complete outsiders, foreign nationals, illegals, to live, and cover the cost...but they will not help me.

They told me my benefits were minescule...yet the same outgoing split between rent and a mortgage. suddenly breaks the bank??? its still the same bloody minescule ammount.

If I had a partner of course, I would be better off, because of two incomes.

So being Single and in a low piad job, is WORSE then ANYTHING else in this country...couples...illegals...moral scum....and foreigners all get a better deal from My Government...and half of them arent even True Citizens.

I am glad your military either houses you, or assures you can afford it...because they look after you better then my Government looks after me...and unlike the Military...in Britain, it is half the duty of the Government to look out for and provide for its citizens...even the US Military, that doesnt have any obligation to provide...does a better job.

Wanna swap places :ashamed: plllllleaaaaase :w00t:

Um, I'm single and live in the US and I don't get asingle dime from the govt to help with anything. I am not rich, I do not make a lot of money at my job. I actually work 2 jobs right now so I can afford everything. I am expected to make rent all by msyelf on just my paycheck. I don't expect the govt to give me anything at all. I just work my two jobs and do the best I can. If it means that I go without, then I go without. It sucks but that's the way it is. When I am able to go back to school and get a higher degree, then I'll be able to afford more. Or when the bf and I finally get married and he finishes med school.....:laugh:

~Amy