PDA

View Full Version : Veterans' Day

VCURamFan
11-11-2010, 11:52 AM
http://www.321zips.com/images/holidays/Veterans%20Day.jpg

http://www.onemarinesview.com/one_marines_view/images/2008/11/11/veteransday06thumb_2.jpg

TexasRN
11-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Thank you to all the veterans out there.

~Amy

Tyburn
11-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I didnt know Americans Celebrated Armistice :blink:

Well...I thought you chose to commemorate it on Memorial Day instead :huh:

Does America also observe the Two Mins Silence at 11am :huh:

Spiritwalker
11-11-2010, 07:22 PM
I didnt know Americans Celebrated Armistice :blink:

Well...I thought you chose to commemorate it on Memorial Day instead :huh:

Two different holidays Dave.

Memorial Day - commemorates U.S. soldiers who died while in the military service.

Veterans Day - United States holiday honoring military veterans.
"In 1953, an Emporia, Kansas shoe store owner named Alfred King had the idea to expand Armistice Day to celebrate all veterans, not just those who served in World War I. King had been actively involved with the American War Dads during World War II. He began a campaign to turn Armistice Day into "All" Veterans Day.

After World War II, the name of the holiday was changed to Veterans Day in the United States and to Remembrance Day in countries of the British Commonwealth of Nations. Armistice Day remains an official holiday in France. It is also an official holiday in Belgium, known also as the Day of Peace in the Flanders Fields.

Armistice Day - as celebrated in most WWI countries.. remembers those who servered in WWI.... and later WWII

Tyburn
11-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Two different holidays Dave.

Memorial Day - commemorates U.S. soldiers who died while in the military service.

Veterans Day - United States holiday honoring military veterans."In 1953, an Emporia, Kansas shoe store owner named Alfred King had the idea to expand Armistice Day to celebrate all veterans, not just those who served in World War I. King had been actively involved with the American War Dads during World War II. He began a campaign to turn Armistice Day into "All" Veterans Day."

Armistice Day - as celebrated in most WWI countries.. remembers those who servered in WWI.... and later WWII

:blink: oh

See Remembrance Day for us is Memorial Day and Veterans Day rolled into one. It supposed to be remembering and honnouring the dead of all wars our country has been in, and remembering, and supporting, those who are still in the military, or have been, or who now need long term care because they were hurt on the battlefield.

But its timing, the reason we celebrate it today and not...a different date is because it first appeared after the Treaty signed off the first world war at 11 am on November 11th. So thats our focal point, and we have a two mins national silence...but no holiday, I guess because its a commemoration not a celebration...but then we ALSO celebrate the same thing, in the same way, on the nearest Sunday to the 11th...thats called Remembrance Sunday...thats when most of the religious ceremonials, with wreath laying and cenotaph dressing, and probably military parades if their are any, take place.

I always thought you celebrated all of the above, like we do on Remembrance day...but on Memorial Day instead...I always wondered...though never wanted to really ask, why you all seemed so...cheerful...about Memorial day, when its supposed to be a day of remembering the dead...I just assumed thats what Americans do :laugh::ashamed:

Play The Man
11-11-2010, 07:33 PM

No

Spiritwalker
11-11-2010, 07:38 PM
I had a great grandfather serve in WWI
a grandfather in WWII
and 3 uncles in Viet Nam...

There are times that I really miss them.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r24/ksweetbuns/memoral%20day%20forth%20of%20july/l_3fb515eef23765f81c4c3f05e73969ab.png

Tyburn
11-11-2010, 07:41 PM
No

I didnt think so. We still do in England...and I think most other Commonwealth countries probably do aswell.

Spiritwalker
11-11-2010, 07:44 PM
I always thought you celebrated all of the above, like we do on Remembrance day...but on Memorial Day instead...I always wondered...though never wanted to really ask, why you all seemed so...cheerful...about Memorial day, when its supposed to be a day of remembering the dead...I just assumed thats what Americans do :laugh::ashamed:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b11/Flynte/vetday.jpg

VCURamFan
11-11-2010, 09:24 PM
My uncle is serving now, my grandfather served in WWII, and my great-grandfather served in WWI as well as designed subs for WWII.

Rochambeau
11-12-2010, 06:43 AM
I bought a pretty wrist band with poppies on it. I'm going to keep wearing it.

At least two of my Great-Grandpas fought in WWI.

Tyburn
11-12-2010, 04:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJVoomFIFDQ

The Queens Husband opened the Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey

He never seems to look like he's in good health :(

Tyburn
11-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Did you know that by sheer cooincidence, the closest Sunday to Armistice (Remembrance Sunday) falls on the 14th?

Did you know that is the same date (70 years ago) that the Germans decided to Blitz The City of Coventry...it was also famous during the war because, unlike London and Saint Paul's Cathedral....Coventry Cathedral was distroyed, only the working bell tower on the old site remains. It peals on important occasions (the rebuilt Cathedral lies across the road I believe from the old site) They left the broken shards of Coventry Cathedral to remind people. They have put the beams that fell across the Altar in the shape of a cross, and mounted them ontop of the Altar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmVHMt3jS9Q

rearnakedchoke
11-12-2010, 05:47 PM
I didnt think so. We still do in England...and I think most other Commonwealth countries probably do aswell.

yeah, Nov 11 is remembrance day here in canada ... not a national holiday, but most gov workers get the day off .... we have a moment of silence ... could be a minute, but i don't think it is two .... and we wear poppies

Tyburn
11-12-2010, 06:05 PM
yeah, Nov 11 is remembrance day here in canada ... not a national holiday, but most gov workers get the day off .... we have a moment of silence ... could be a minute, but i don't think it is two .... and we wear poppies

I wasnt sure about Canada...I know Australia does Anzac Day in April, I didnt know if Canada also had its own date or not :ashamed:

Rochambeau
11-13-2010, 02:22 AM
Remembrance Day is a Commonwealth thing.

Tyburn
11-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Remembrance Day is a Commonwealth thing.

:happydancing: most of the best things are :laugh:

Reminds me of the placard protestor that once broke into the Conservative party conference, whilst Maggie was speaking. She said, once he was usshered out that he cant be blamed, after all "its always better where the Torys are" :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h03_QbqhHg

Play The Man
11-13-2010, 05:17 PM

Unfortunately, I think most Americans look at it as a day off and don't contemplate any deeper meaning. Similarly, Easter has become, for many, about colored eggs and chocolate bunnies. Christmas is about Santa and gifts. Independence Day is about hot dogs and fireworks . . . you get the picture.

Tyburn
11-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Unfortunately, I think most Americans look at it as a day off and don't contemplate any deeper meaning. Similarly, Easter has become, for many, about colored eggs and chocolate bunnies. Christmas is about Santa and gifts. Independence Day is about hot dogs and fireworks . . . you get the picture.

:sad: Very sad. :sad:

but we must lead by Example PTM :w00t:

Spiritwalker
11-13-2010, 10:35 PM

Maybe some.. but hardly all.

Tyburn
11-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Maybe some.. but hardly all.

Do Easter and Christmas have Deep Spiritual meaning for you :huh:

Rochambeau
11-26-2010, 09:39 AM
I think they might.

Spiritwalker
11-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Do Easter and Christmas have Deep Spiritual meaning for you :huh:

Me personally?

Yes.

Santa brings gifts to all the little kiddies.. and The Easter Bunny lays eggs... (still haven't figured that one out) in the back yards all across the world!!

If you mean in a religious sense of the word... sure they do.

But Dec 25 is just a day.. no a random day I hope.. but a day... If I remember my study well.. Jesus' birthday was also celebrated in early/mid january.

Tyburn
11-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Me personally?

Yes.

Oh Good.

Me Too :w00t:

Which is more important to you Christmas or easter (I tend to find people fall into one of two brackets, Incarnation, or Ressurection...it depends where your focus lies)

Spiritwalker
11-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Oh Good.

Me Too :w00t:

Which is more important to you Christmas or easter (I tend to find people fall into one of two brackets, Incarnation, or Ressurection...it depends where your focus lies)

You know Dave.. that's prolly the best question that you have ever asked.

I have some very specific thoughts on that subject that I will share later.

Tyburn
11-26-2010, 12:12 PM
You know Dave.. that's prolly the best question that you have ever asked.

I have some very specific thoughts on that subject that I will share later.

Okay, whilst I wait, I'll tell you mine. I am Ressurection and there are several reasons for that. First on a worldly basis I dont enjoy Christmas and never have. Christmas mutates from the birth of christ, into a time to be with those you love. Its either to sickly...or its depressing when you arent a couple, and your family life has issues that emerge when you all gather in one place. Its also the wrong time of year for me to celebrate. I get effected by lack of sunlight, so why would I enjoy celebrating moments after the shortest day of the year :unsure-1:

Now on a theological basis, I cant think about the incarnation directly, like I cant think about eternity. The subject is to great a paradox. I just dont really get the magnitude of GOD and MAN in the same place at the same time. For me, its not so important he came, as what he came to actually do

Easter is different, in a worldly sense, it isnt really celebrated. Its like a bank holiday of Chocolate, but its not celebrated like Christmas is. The Equinox has approached and the sunlight is back. I am feeling better after the months of dark and cold. But Easter is also the centre point of the Christian Faith...and it has deep meaning for me. I cant bear the thought of someone thinking I am worth dying for like that. I cant get over the fact that GOD would turn on himself, in order to satisfy his own judgement, so that there is room in his midst for me...neither can I understand how Christ knowing what was going on, went along voluntarily with it.

Yet it is for this reason that one can be saved. Salvation occures at Easter, not at Christmas. What annoys me is the amount of Incarnational Christians, who jump right from Holy Week to Ressurection...and forget, the price of sin WAS NOT WRITTEN OFF...and that the Ressurection couldnt happen without what came first...someone had to pay for all the evil and sin. I remember that because I know that I produce that, and it is essentially my fault that he chose to die. GOD had no other choice if he wanted to save me...and why he does...I still dont know. I except Intrinsic Value (which I DID NOT up until a year or two ago) but that doesnt explain why he wished to save, rather then bin me...do you follow?

They play the song "Magnum Mysterium" at Christmas, refering to the Great Mystery of the Incarnation...but for me, the Mystery is in the Crucifixition and the Ressurection

Here is a nice version of the track for you to listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRMi1JOuaMU

you know back in 2001, my Grandmother who I was quite close to, she died on Easter Sunday of that year which was April 15th. She was a Ressurectional Christian also...but when she became terminal during Holy Week she told my parents she wanted to die on Good Friday, just like The Lord....but I was away in Leeds working, and she didnt want to go without saying goodbye to me...I didnt come back until Saturday.

She died on the day of the Ressurection instead. Which I think was even MORE poignent