PDA

View Full Version : Hunting

Load Option
10-27-2010, 03:20 AM
Has anybody been able to do any hunting? I have dove hunted a couple of times. Been getting everything ready for deer season. It has been busy being football season and the team I coach is in the playoff hunt.

Another thing is it needs to get cold down here in Texas.

Rev
10-28-2010, 04:34 AM
LOL
brother, you dont know the can of worms you just opened with me. I have been hoping that someone else would speak up about hunting forever.

You should move this to the woodshed though.

J.B.
10-28-2010, 05:13 AM
I've been hunting for BJ Penn nutthuggers....
http://www.jdrussell.info/redneck-and-gun.jpg
but after years of getting PWNED they have all migrated back to the island.

Dana White's band wrote a tune about how awesome Hughes is...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWxBrI0g1kE&ob=av2n :wink:

BJ is Hawaiian toast...and while I've only had regular toast, I bet Hawaiian toast tastes pretty good...but you won't be eating it because Hughes is gonna destroy it!!! :)

Rev
10-28-2010, 05:27 AM
I've been hunting for BJ Penn nutthuggers....
http://www.jdrussell.info/redneck-and-gun.jpg
but after years of getting PWNED they have all migrated back to the island.

Dana White's band wrote a tune about how awesome Hughes is...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWxBrI0g1kE&ob=av2n :wink:

BJ is Hawaiian toast...and while I've only had regular toast, I bet Hawaiian toast tastes pretty good...but you won't be eating it because Hughes is gonna destroy it!!! :)

um, JB. You are alot more round than i had pictured you.:unsure-1:

J.B.
10-28-2010, 02:33 PM
um, JB. You are alot more round than i had pictured you.:unsure-1:

Thats not me...I do wish I had that gun though... :laugh:

pistol-pete
10-28-2010, 03:38 PM
A couple of weeks ago I just spent the weekend hanging stands on our property in Western Wisconsin.

I hunt in farm country, but we have no crops or food plots on the current piece of property I am hunting. This property offers bedding areas and travel corridors to food and water, and the property is located in a valley with almost all hunting area on the hillsides, and on top of the ridge.

My question to some of you is this, have you ever used products like "deer cane", or "Come here deer" attractants. or mineral licks? Do they work?

Rev
10-30-2010, 02:44 AM
yup they work

Garandshooter
11-01-2010, 05:46 PM
yup they work

They will also work up the ground if you spill lime from a water heater you've replaced. Must be the salt, but they'll work the same spot for years.

I'm biding my time waiting for the regular 9 day wisonsin firearm season by building an ar15, but won't have it ready to use this season. I have a new remington 700 sps in 3006 I'll be using from the stand, and probably use my garand for stalking in the woods.

For those of you that wonder, the ar15 in 223 will take deer. I've done it on a running doe.

surveyorshawn
11-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Yep, the .223 was made to kill men (M-16), so it will definitely kill deer. It's all about shot placement...

CAVEMAN
11-02-2010, 03:39 PM
I got my stand up on Sunday and hope to be hunting this weekend!:)

pistol-pete
11-08-2010, 11:47 PM
They will also work up the ground if you spill lime from a water heater you've replaced. Must be the salt, but they'll work the same spot for years.

I'm biding my time waiting for the regular 9 day wisonsin firearm season by building an ar15, but won't have it ready to use this season. I have a new remington 700 sps in 3006 I'll be using from the stand, and probably use my garand for stalking in the woods.

For those of you that wonder, the ar15 in 223 will take deer. I've done it on a running doe.

You can use it, but it loses a bit of power past 200 yards, and probably wouldn't take a deer with it past 150 yards. My BIL uses a .243 and he popped a doe a couple of years ago at 200 yards. We found blood but and it was a good hit, but the deer never stopped moving and we lost her to the dark and fences.

.223 takes men, but again a kill shot on a deer is different than a shot on a man, a wounded man is out of action, a wounded deer is a headache.

The AR frames are now being used in mass production for hunting big game. They cut off the carrying site, and chambered it in a .308, .270, and I believe a .300winmag. For 1400 bucks you can get it in camo.

Garandshooter
11-09-2010, 12:50 AM
I've hit deer with 30 06 that had to be tracked down, and others that fell over and twitched. A .224 Nosler 60gr partition is more energy and mass on a white tail then a 180gr 30 06 is on Elk. Don't take my word for it, Shoot a deer with Federals Nosler load.

Load Option
11-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Well I just got back from the hunting camp...the other hunters laughed when I pulled out the big tv and directv box and ordered the fight.....we all watched the fight.

Today when we were leaving the lease we came across a nice ol rattlesnake...it had 11 rattlers and 1 button on it...i will post a picture of it soon.

Have a nice Thanksgiving everyone.

Garandshooter
11-25-2010, 06:58 AM
I had to travel back home 165 miles to replace the main water shut off in the house, in the middle of my 9 day hunting trip. Water dammage to the kitchen ceiling. I also had to put down my wife's cat.So far I have shot two does, and my dad has gotten skunked so far. I'm going back up to finish the season this week end.
I love deer hunting, and love spending time with my parents, but I think this will be the last year I hunt the entire season.

Load Option
11-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Just got back from another trip to the hunting lease. Didn't shoot anything. Saw some does and a couple of 8 pointers but didn't want to take them. Still waiting to see if the big one comes.

Garandshooter
11-29-2010, 03:53 AM
Got home today, and didn't even go out for the last day. Of our three man hunting party I was the only one to take deer. We did not see a lot of deer, but I attribute this to the lack of pastured woods, little pressure from discouraged hunters, and a bright moon the entire season. With out cattle in the woods, the under growth gets very thick, and I had to get with in bad breath distance to move deer from their hiding spots. I didn't see many other hunters out this year, and the moon enabled them to stay 100% nocturnal.