PDA

View Full Version : My experience with a homeless man in Laredo, TX

rockdawg21
10-26-2010, 11:38 PM
So I had to share my experience yesterday. This is no BS, completely true what happened to me:

I'm working in Laredo, TX this week and they have a lot of homeless here. I don't give cash, but food/water if I have it. All that I had in the car was a bottle of water so I handed the water to the guy and he said (in Spanish), "You don't have 50 cents?", I replied (in Spanish), "No sir, I don't carry cash." He threw the bottle of water at me and in English said, "Well f*** you man!" I've had people shake their heads "no" to the food and water, but never anything like that! I ducked his throw and got my water back, so I just washed the outside of the bottle, lol.

J.B.
10-26-2010, 11:53 PM
What a turd.

Tyburn
10-27-2010, 12:40 AM
So I had to share my experience yesterday. This is no BS, completely true what happened to me:

I'm working in Laredo, TX this week and they have a lot of homeless here. I don't give cash, but food/water if I have it. All that I had in the car was a bottle of water so I handed the water to the guy and he said (in Spanish), "You don't have 50 cents?", I replied (in Spanish), "No sir, I don't carry cash." He threw the bottle of water at me and in English said, "Well f*** you man!" I've had people shake their heads "no" to the food and water, but never anything like that! I ducked his throw and got my water back, so I just washed the outside of the bottle, lol.

I never offer money...coz if they are homeless, then they will be greatful for food or drink...chances are in this country they are either scabs, or they are druggies...well I aint gonna pay for them.

Burning coals is what they will receive if they are not legitamate. You did the right thing. His response is his own affaire. We are supposed to offer help. how one responds to that isnt a reflection on us

surveyorshawn
10-27-2010, 03:10 AM
I've had similar expenses. I offered to walk with a homeless guy into the McDonald's at the corner where he was begging, and buy him some lunch...whatever he wanted. He refused.

I had a friend who had some work he needed done on his farm (a couple of miles from mine). He saw a guy who had a sign that said "Will work for food", so he stopped & told the guy he would put him up in his barn (had a small apartment in it) for a week & feed him handsomely if he came up & helped him do some work around his place. The guy came up with all kinds of excuses, and finally said, "Don't you just have some money you can give me?" My friend said no, of course, but that the offer still stands, so "Flag me down if you see me pass by again".

flo
10-27-2010, 04:20 AM
We never give money to panhandlers. It's a scam. No doubt, many of them are homeless but they have a real operation going on here in Olympia. Certain people work certain corners. This is a loony lib city so they are not only allowed to panhandle but they have advocates and a tent city that's fully authorized to move from place to place in the city limits.

IMO, most of these people are skilled panhandlers with side issues (alcoholism, drug addiction, mental health problems).

If I was to give my unscientific estimate as to what percentage WOULD actually work or be grateful for a meal, I'd put it at 1%.

But then, I'm a gun-toting, Tea Party-supporting, uncompassionate, bigoted Republican. :wink:

flo
10-27-2010, 04:21 AM
All that aside, your experience is pretty extreme, RD. The guy was a total creep.

Bonnie
10-27-2010, 05:03 AM

Good thinking! :laugh:

TexasRN
10-27-2010, 12:16 PM
I carry two bags of groceries in my car for those who are legitimately needing help. I've only had one taker in the years I've been doing it. It was a guy hanging outside a grocery store asking for help for his family. He took the two bags and seemed happy to have them.

~Amy

BamaGrits84
10-28-2010, 04:55 PM
I saw a very disappointing situation with panhandlers. The exit I get off on to go home from work always has someone holding a sign up asking for help. I NEVER give cash to anyone either. The salvation army is just about a mile up the road is they are hungry. This exit has 1 motel that is known for problems so most of the time I assume these people are staying in that motel or going there next for a high.

Well a few months ago for the first time there was a woman out there. A black lady who wore the same oversizes army pants and black shirts everyday. She got about the same amount of help from motorist as the men who were normally out there did - maybe 1 or 2 hand outs per light.

But one day I pull up and there are two white girls out there. 1 had on scrubs and one had on what looked like clean shorts and a nice shirt. Their sign said "need more for rent and food". The amount of people handing money out to those girls was CRAZY. I was so angry at how people were helping these white girls but didn't seem as bothered by a black girl who was begging. And the thing is these two white girls may have been dressed slightly better but their faces clearly said METH HEAD. The black girl, her face just said HURT. I hope everyday that black girl is out there now. I still wouldn't give her money but Wendy's is 100 feet away and I'd love to have a chance to feed her and find out her story.

BamaGrits84
10-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Oha dn 1 time my husband and I saw a bag man wlking in 90+ degree temps cover in layers of clothes. For some reason my husband turned around and give the man $5. McDonald's was just a few hundred feet away so my husband told him to go sit down in the ac and cool off. I asked him why he gave money and he said when we passed that man he saw Jesus in his face. When we were passing back by that same McDonald's 30 minutes later we saw that man's buggy in the parking lot.

rockdawg21
10-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Oha dn 1 time my husband and I saw a bag man wlking in 90+ degree temps cover in layers of clothes. For some reason my husband turned around and give the man $5. McDonald's was just a few hundred feet away so my husband told him to go sit down in the ac and cool off. I asked him why he gave money and he said when we passed that man he saw Jesus in his face. When we were passing back by that same McDonald's 30 minutes later we saw that man's buggy in the parking lot.
LOL, that reminds me of the person who "saw Jesus in their toast".
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UsAY7bPiJZg/SczGphPTrvI/AAAAAAAABLE/7P66r2bR2wI/s400/jesus-toast.jpg

rockdawg21
10-28-2010, 06:27 PM
To share an experience of mine in Columbia, MO. I was always taking an exit on I-70 and Providence Road to go to work. Frequently, I would see the same homeless guy out there begging with a sign that reads "Will work for food."

The factory where I was working hired people who were found guilty of abuse, drugs, even knew 1 guy who committed 2nd degree murder and openly admitted it. Knowing this, they will hire anybody.

The next time I saw him, I threw him a bottled water with an application rubber banded to it. Needless to say, I didn't see him working there.

rearnakedchoke
10-28-2010, 08:40 PM
i usually just give money and really haven't had any bad experiences with people .. although i was bringing home dinner one time and offered a guy one of my rotisserie chickens ... dude's face lit up like it was christmas ... i don't know their story, so i don't judge .. just help with what i can ...