PDA

View Full Version : Ken Shamrock Wins A Fight!!!

Country Breakfast
10-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Alessio, Carneiro, Shamrock, High, Linhares and Beebe among weekend winners
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Oct 18, 2010 at 4:15 pm ET
A variety of notables were in action this past weekend, and winners included John Alessio, Roan Carneiro, Ken Shamrock, Jason High, Lucio Linhares and Chase Beebe.

The fights took place in organizations around the world.

Many, though, came from Saturday's Ultimate Glory event in the Netherlands, where the first round of the organization's eight-man welterweight "World Series" tournament kicked off.

Alessio (30-13), a UFC and WEC veteran, submitted former M-1 and Sengoku fighter Sergey Golyaev (17-8) with a second-round kimura to advance to the semis, which take place Jan. 30 in Belgium. Alessio, who told MMAjunkie.com Radio this past week that he'd like to make a return to the UFC or another major organization, now has won six straight fights.

Other semifinal qualifiers included UFC vet Roan Carneiro (14-8), who earned a decision win over Luis Ramos (16-6); Siyar Bahadurzada (18-4-1), who scored a first-round TKO of Derrick Noble (25-15-1), who was a late replacement for injured Nick Thompson; and local fighter Hracho Darpinyan (4-2), who posted a 47-second knockout of Robert Jocz (19-6), who had won 15 of his previous 16 fights.

In the Ultimate Glory main event, promotional regular and Golden Glory fighter Tommy Depret (8-3) cinched a 36-second submission victory over former UFC lightweight David Bielkheden (16-8). (A scheduled bout between recently crowned Strikeforce women's welterweight champ Marloes Coenen and Lena Buytendijk was a late scratch from the card.).

Shamrock (28-14-2), a 46-year-old who owned just one victory in six years and his previous seven fights, got back in the win column with a decision win over journeyman Johnathan Ivey (29-43) in the headliner of Saturday's USA MMA's "Return of the Champions" main event in Lafayette, La.

High (11-3), who was released by the UFC earlier this year after just a single loss, scored a first-round TKO of undefeated Canadian welterweight Keto Allen (5-1) in the headliner of Friday's HeatXC 6 "Bragging Rights" event in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Linhares (14-6), who was released from the UFC in March after back-to-back losses to Rousimar Palhares and Yushin Okami, needed a mere 28 seconds to stop fellow middleweight Mitch Whitesel (15-16) with punches Saturday in Finland's popular Fight Festival organization. It was Linhares' first fight since the UFC release.

Finally, former WEC bantamweight champ Beebe (15-7) scored a first-round submission victory over highly touted Jared McMahan (12-2-1) at Saturday's Chicago Cage Fighting Championship 2 in Illinois.

Vizion
10-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Ken is an animal.

He beat a guy with a 29-43 record.

What was in Dana's mind when he elected him as coach on TUF 3?!

rearnakedchoke
10-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Ken is an animal.

he wanted ken to beat tito "into a living death"!!!!!!!!!!

Chris F
10-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Ken is an animal.

Ken is a good coach and was a great fighter in his prime, he just did not evolve with the sport and thus started to loose.

Tyburn
10-19-2010, 08:04 PM
poor Ken :unsure-1:

J.B.
10-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Ken is an animal.

I wouldn't completely toss the guy under the bus...

I mean, yeah, he is a bit odd and he never did manifest into a very well rounded fighter, but the guy is still a legend of the UFC.

Yeah, he beat a guy who is a can in terms of his record, but the guy also has over 70 pro fights. That is nothing to laugh at, and Ken has had a hard time even getting ANYBODY to fight him for the last few years. Ken likes the sport and he likes competing, but he feels he needs to fight more times every year to keep his skills sharp at his age. Although, that becomes difficult when he can barely find one guy willing to fight him. Everybody is either TOO green and won't take the fight, or they are working towards title fights and there is no real reward for fighting Ken.

Vizion
10-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Ken is a good coach and was a great fighter in his prime, he just did not evolve with the sport and thus started to loose.Is a good coach? IS? did you watch TUF 3? He was almost as bad as Rampage at coaching.

Vizion
10-19-2010, 08:50 PM
I didn't toss him under the bus...but I mean come on Dana...as if he was ever going to take the LHW title :laugh:

Vizion
10-19-2010, 08:51 PM
he wanted ken to beat tito "into a living death"!!!!!!!!!!because that had worked out so well for Ken...the first time.

Clearly it was a drama-play for Dana who wanted to hype their 2nd fight.

J.B.
10-19-2010, 09:36 PM
I didn't toss him under the bus...but I mean come on Dana...as if he was ever going to take the LHW title :laugh:

I don't think that was ever really their intentions. It was based on the bad blood between Tito and Lion's Den, and it gave a TON of exposure to the UFC.

rearnakedchoke
10-19-2010, 09:43 PM

I mean, yeah, he is a bit odd and he never did manifest into a very well rounded fighter, but the guy is still a legend of the UFC.

Yeah, he beat a guy who is a can in terms of his record, but the guy also has over 70 pro fights. That is nothing to laugh at, and Ken has had a hard time even getting ANYBODY to fight him for the last few years. Ken likes the sport and he likes competing, but he feels he needs to fight more times every year to keep his skills sharp at his age. Although, that becomes difficult when he can barely find one guy willing to fight him. Everybody is either TOO green and won't take the fight, or they are working towards title fights and there is no real reward for fighting Ken.

i think he also had some bad luck along the way ... didn't he get pulled from the kimbo fight due to a cut in sparring and seth took over? ken could have been the guy who derailed the kimbo slice myth instead of seth and might have gotten more exposure than ever ... but we would have never known if he would have beaten the slice .... but they could fight now ..

Bonnie
10-20-2010, 01:27 AM
Is a good coach? IS? did you watch TUF 3? He was almost as bad as Rampage at coaching.

I did watch; I think he was the worst coach ever on TUF. Rampage was just as bad the 2nd time he coached TUF. Both those teams deserved better; they might as well have had no coach to what they got from Shamrock and Rampage. Both of them were clearly there for themselves and had no interest in teaching and coaching.

Vizion
10-20-2010, 02:29 AM
I don't think that was ever really their intentions. It was based on the bad blood between Tito and Lion's Den, and it gave a TON of exposure to the UFC.Ok, that was a WWE like move. Dana has learnt a lot since then...he made a lot of mistakes and others taught him the err of his ways.

J.B.
10-20-2010, 02:59 AM
Ok, that was a WWE like move. Dana has learnt a lot since then...he made a lot of mistakes and others taught him the err of his ways.

The UFC is a WWE-like company in many respects, and it's not any different today.

TUF is as much, if not more, about building up a fight between the "coaches" as it is about farming talent. Not all fighters make good coaches, but that's not really what the show is about. It feeds off rivalries between the coaches, and the end-game is ultimately a big fight at the end. More MMA fans can recite who won the fights between the coaches then who actually won the show.

Chris F
10-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Is a good coach? IS? did you watch TUF 3? He was almost as bad as Rampage at coaching.

If you judge a mans coaching ability on the editing job of Spike than even Matt looked like a horrible coach. Ken has developed some great fighters who took what they could from him and than moved on. Rampage is a media whore, Ken did a good job considering. YOu cannot judge a mans abilty to coach based on a reality TV show.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
10-20-2010, 05:01 PM
If you judge a mans coaching ability on the editing job of Spike than even Matt looked like a horrible coach. Ken has developed some great fighters who took what they could from him and than moved on. Rampage is a media whore, Ken did a good job considering. YOu cannot judge a mans abilty to coach based on a reality TV show.

One of the best comments on Ken's coaCHING! Ken had some pretty decent fighters trian under him. I'm glad he won and hope he concentrates more on coaching and building fighters. He does have some skill's but I belive he's physicly broken down. When young Ken Smamrock was a beast! He was one of the first fighters to give Royce Gracie any trouble. He was pretty good on the ground but he liked to brawl at times! I believe his primary ground game came from old time catch Wrestleing! If memeory serves he had a pretty good team under him in the IFL. But hey I forgot in mordern MMA it ain't cool to respect the old poineer's of the sport in America! And I consider him more of a poiner than his Brother! Please excuse the spelling as I'm on a library computer!