PDA

View Full Version : More on the Falcon Lake incident

rockdawg21
10-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Not sure how many of you have heard this as it hasn't been covered much by the mainstream media. Jane Velez-Mitchell of CNN is going to cover it tonight on Issues.

To break it down, there is a war of 2 cartels for control of the I-35 corridor in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico (opposite of Laredo, TX). Southeast of Laredo is a large lake near Zapata, TX called Falcon Lake. Over the past few years, as things have gotten tougher for the cartels, they have resorted to robbing Americans fishing/enjoying the lake.

A few weeks ago, a couple ventured onto the Mexico side only to be met with gunfire. The husband was shot and killed, but did anybody hear about it? I only saw it covered in the local news here in Laredo (I work here every year). Today, it's reported that the Mexican Falcon Lake investigator was decapitated and his severed head was delivered in a suitcase to the Mexican military.

For a slideshow, here you go (warning of graphic images): http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Mexico-Drug-War/ss/events/wl/072109mexicodrugs;_ylt=AqyfRKtV8SoHbP21uhbje1FH2oc A;_ylu=X3oDMTFlcWFuNHZ0BHBvcwMzBHNlYwN5bl9yXzNzbG9 0X3NsaWRlc2hvdwRzbGsDc2xpLWV2LWxpbms-

Governor Rick Perry has yet to hear from the federal government regarding this. At what point is the government going to realize that we are in the middle of a war with Mexican drug cartels? This violence is all over the border, but it goes completely ignored!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101011/ap_on_re_us/us_border_lake_shooting_2
Perry chides US govt over Falcon Lake incident

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/nws/p/ap_logo_106.png

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20101011/i/r837141143.jpg
A medal of the Zetas drug cartel is displayed in the Drugs Museum at
the headquarters of the Ministry of Defense in Mexico City Reuters A medal of
the Zetas drug cartel is displayed in the Drugs Museum at the headquarters of
the Ministry

By KELLEY SHANNON, Associated Press Writer Kelley Shannon, Associated Press Writer Mon Oct 11, 4:59 pm ET

SAN ANTONIO, Texas Gov. Rick Perry said Monday he's disheartened that the wife of a missing American who was reported shot by pirates on a Texas-Mexico border lake hasn't heard from U.S. federal officials.

Perry said he spoke with Tiffany Hartley on Monday morning about the search for her husband. David Hartley has not been seen since Sept. 30, when she says pirates on Falcon Lake opened fire on them from speedboats while they were returning from Mexico to the United States on Jet Skis. Her husband was shot in the head and she managed to flee, under fire, to the Texas side of the lake formed from a dammed section of the Rio Grande.

"She's very frustrated and appropriately so. She's not heard one word from the United States federal government. She's not had a call from Secretary of State (Hillary) Clinton, she's not heard from the administration. And I find that really disheartening," Perry told reporters after speaking to an economic development summit.

A White House spokesman did not immediately respond to Perry's criticism when contacted by The Associated Press.

Bob Young, Tiffany Hartley's father, said his daughter believes the federal government could be doing more.

"She doesn't really expect President Obama or Clinton to give her a personal call, but she's wondering why the federal government isn't doing more," he said from his home in La Salle, Colo. "They could be putting pressure on Mexico to bring this matter to a close because they know the right people. ... We're hoping that they would take an interest in it."

Perry said he hasn't gotten a call from Mexican President Felipe Calderon, as he requested last week, but he said their two offices are communicating. The Mexican government, in response to Perry's request, stepped up its search for Hartley's body and has named two men they are seeking in connection with the case.

Perry said Monday he could not provide any updates on the search for David Hartley or the investigation, including word over the weekend that Mexican authorities were searching for two Mexican brothers as potential suspects.

"Both of our federal governments need to do more to get to the bottom of this issue," he said.

Tamaulipas State Police unit chief Juan Carlos Ballesteros said Mexican investigators believe brothers Juan Pedro and Jose Manuel Zaldivar Farias may have killed Hartley as he took photos of a sunken church at the lake. The brothers already were sought for allegedly being in a gang of pirates that operates on Falcon Lake and for terrorizing a Mexican town at the south end of the lake.

Perry said once again that the Hartley incident points to the need for heightened border security by the U.S. federal government.

"The American people have had it up to here with their lack of understanding and their lack of action securing that border, where citizens of both sides can know that they are living in a country where they're going to be safe," he said.

___

Associated Press Writer P. Solomon Banda contributed to this report from Denver.

TexasRN
10-13-2010, 10:58 AM
They have been covering it here in Raleigh. They made a big deal yesterday about the Mexican sheriff being murdered. I think most people in the US don't realize how dangerous the Texas border with Mexico is.

~Amy

Neezar
10-13-2010, 11:23 AM
They have been covering it here in Raleigh. They made a big deal yesterday about the Mexican sheriff being murdered. I think most people in the US don't realize how dangerous the Texas border with Mexico is.

~Amy

:unsure-1: I didn't.

Bonnie
10-13-2010, 01:37 PM
I wonder why they chose that particular lake to go jet skiing. :unsure: Saw his mom on tv....just heartbreaking. I hope they recover his body. :sad:

TexasRN
10-13-2010, 03:04 PM
:unsure-1: I didn't.

All through nursing school we were told over and over to stay away from the border. They really hit the colleges with that message because the party towns are there and Spring Break is especially big in the area. If I hadn't been in college at the time, I wouldn't have known either and I lived in Texas. The El Paso, Texas city hall building was hit with stray bullets not that long ago from a shoot out in Juarez, Mexico. It's scary business.

~Amy

BamaGrits84
10-13-2010, 07:33 PM
I wonder why they chose that particular lake to go jet skiing. :unsure: Saw his mom on tv....just heartbreaking. I hope they recover his body. :sad:

The story I read said this lake is very popular especially with anglers. I assume it is a large lake.

These aren't the first American's that have come under fire on the lake. A story on Yahoo last week mentioned two other stories of boaters being shot at. Texas has warned lake goers to say on the US side though I can't remember if the warning was in place before this incident or put in place after because of it.

I really don't understand why the Mexican military doesn't do something.

Spiritwalker
10-13-2010, 07:34 PM
The story I read said this lake is very popular especially with anglers. I assume it is a large lake.

These aren't the first American's that have come under fire on the lake. A story on Yahoo last week mentioned two other stories of boaters being shot at. Texas has warned lake goers to say on the US side though I can't remember if the warning was in place before this incident or put in place after because of it.

'cause they want to still be able to get their discounts when they go to get high...

Play The Man
10-13-2010, 07:38 PM

There is a beautiful, old, abandoned, half-submerged Catholic Church that has been flooded by the lake. It is an historic landmark that is only reached by boat (or jetski). The murdered man was a history buff and wanted to see the flooded Church.

rearnakedchoke
10-13-2010, 08:13 PM
and the american gov't still says that mexico is it's best neighbor and ally ... you wouldn't see canadians shooting at you guys on the great lakes ...

BamaGrits84
10-13-2010, 09:12 PM
and the american gov't still says that mexico is it's best neighbor and ally ... you wouldn't see canadians shooting at you guys on the great lakes ...

Like the difference between tequilla and wine.

Bonnie
10-13-2010, 09:41 PM

There is a beautiful, old, abandoned, half-submerged Catholic Church that has been flooded by the lake. It is an historic landmark that is only reached by boat (or jetski). The murdered man was a history buff and wanted to see the flooded Church.

I live here, but haven't ever heard of Falcon Lake or the things that have been going on down there on the lake until this incident. His wife said they had heard of some of the bad stuff that had happened with the fishermen, etc... but they thought things had calmed down. I had heard they took pictures of the submerged church which is on the Mexican side of the lake. I don't know...it just seemed like a very risky thing to do. :unsure:

I wonder why they bothered taking his body. You think because he was American? :unsure-1:

Tyburn
10-13-2010, 11:18 PM
The Federal Government of The United States of America should NOT tollerate murder, or threatening behaviour towards its citizens by members of a foreign nation along its boarders.

I remember being truely and utterly shocked that within the Union there is almost no boarders between States...no check points...no security...if you get into America, you can move from State to State...Now I have heard its boarders in the south are as bad as State Boarders...nothing but fields, and maybe a fence...or a river, but with a nice little road bridge.

They should have a wall, something that is capable of being fortified. I mean my suggestion to them would be to close the southern boarders...I am guessing that the US is incapable of doing that because there is no structure across the length of the country...am I right? In Essence this means the whole south boarder is effectively being invaded on and off like a tide by persons who do not acknowledge the boundaries between one country and another.

That is unforgivable on the part of a First World super power. Absolutely unforgivable. You CANT sit next to a country and not have a proper defensible boarder...I dont care how friendly your neighbours are...if they had any bloody sense, they would have already errected something...but that would not be in the Mexican best interest would it...without a boarder they may pass freely...seen as no threat.

How when the US played politics in Latin America twenty odd years ago to stop communist dictators whether ellected or not entering power, and absent mindedly forgot to create some type of passport controlled boarder is beyond me. What, happens if the Mexican Military turns up one day at the boarder? what happens if another latin american country invades Mexico...it will be too late to fortify your boarders then

I know Americans believe their Government has not right to take steps to protect them specifically...but its absolute stupidity to give a few citizens a few guns on the south and expect them to defend themselves against GOD knows what could arrive. No. you treat your boarders like you treat incoming air travel

You have a solid wall, that you could, if needs be defend. You have small gaps in that wall, that are manned, twentyfourseven, you scan each person entering, and each person exiting for weapons, and security. To do anything other is asking for trouble...and when it comes dont expect European Sympathy...its a ludicrus situation...an outrage...and they wont stop until something is done. Then when you close your boarder, nothing goes in, nothing goes out. Cut trade links, and you'll get a reaction. This isnt a job for State Governments..this is a Federal Issue....it needs to be cohesive...the fate of your nation may one day rest upon this. Do NOT under-estimate the above. Its like going nekkid into a sword fight...for GOD sake put some armour over your undercarriage :blink::laugh:

cubsfan47
10-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Tyburn, while I agree with you, you should realize that the course of action you advocate is part of the Tea Party platform.:blink:

Tyburn
10-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Tyburn, while I agree with you, you should realize that the course of action you advocate is part of the Tea Party platform.:blink:

Really :huh: ...I dont know much about the fringe parties in the US...but there are two areas I would feel strongly about...one is the correct and proper interpretation of the constitution (in accordance with what ammounts to the Christian Right) and immigration control, and the soverignty of the Nation.

If I was a landlocked Nation outside of a Union, the defence of the Nation by means of a proper land boarder would be my VERY FIRST priority...because until thats set up, noone is safe, and noone knows where your soverignty ends, and the next begins...and you have absolutely no way of effectively controling who comes in or goes out of the country...its lunicy...yes it would cost a bomb to construct....but its something that should have happened as soon as Texas was admitted to the Union...as soon as she lost her own Soverignty...work should have been done.

Even if the other nation is completely peaceful. That doesnt matter, because its not designed to launch an attack from...its designed as an outter perimeter.

its like a ship without a hull, and question marks over how all the water got on the deck...I mean...Really :laugh:

rockdawg21
10-26-2010, 06:49 PM
To add to the violence in Mexico, the Los Zetas beheaded a woman yesterday. I saw the whole picture in the newspaper that came from Mexico today. The woman's head was placed near the crotch and her body placed neatly on a street somewhere in Nuevo Laredo.

This type of stuff is a weekly occurrence but isn't covered by the big media in the U.S.

Laredo Morning Times Online has an article, but you have to be subscribed to it.

Sad stuff that continues in that country. Just the other day, the 600th U.S. soldier was killed in the war in Afghanistan. In the past 3 years, more than 7000 people in Mexico have been killed due to drug violence. At what point is our government and media going to acknowledge our true threat to national security?

flo
10-27-2010, 03:32 AM
RD, FNC covered it. They had a fair amount of time spent on the segment just today, parallelling these beheadings and kidnappings to the same techniques used by Al Qaeda. They compared pictures of Daniel Pearl taken by AQ shorty before his execution with recent kidnapping photos of a Mexican mayor's son by the drug cartel people. These thugs are worse than the Pablo Escobar people were - if possible - but no doubt every bit as savage and dangerous as Al Quada.

Wake up, Washington DC!