PDA

View Full Version : say goodbye to 4 American car companies

atomdanger
10-03-2010, 05:53 AM
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1526/2011-automotive-hot-list-the-departed/

1. Pontiac
In theory, it was GM’s performance brand. We’ll miss cars like the G8, GTO and Solstice GXP; we wish we could erase the Aztek from our memory (as did Pontiac, no doubt).

2. Mercury
Founded in 1939 by Henry Ford’s son, Edsel, Mercury most recently served as an example of poor badge engineering.

3. Saturn
Originally known for its plastic-bodied cars and “no-haggle” dealer model; severely held back by a lack of new and unique product.

4. Hummer
Thrust into pop culture by a muscle-bound Austrian-born actor/governor, these off-road-biased trucks proved far too bulky and inefficient for the times.

Kind of crappy, although I assume GM will still offer parts service?

Chuck
10-03-2010, 05:59 AM
Kind of crappy, although I assume GM will still offer parts service?

I drive a Pontiac and have had virtually no problems with it. I'll miss the brand and the history as well as that of Mercury.

Saturn and Hummer? No big loss.

But on a side note.. I rented an Aztec for a weekend a few years ago and absolutely LOVED it. They are ugly as sin but it was one of my favorite vehicles I've ever driven.

Go figure. :huh:

Rochambeau
10-03-2010, 10:12 AM
The nicer Pontiac's are Holdens and they're Australian.

bradwright
10-03-2010, 01:07 PM
The nicer Pontiac's are Holdens and they're Australian.

that's where the G8 came from....same car actually.

Buzzard
10-04-2010, 12:35 AM
I drive a Pontiac and have had virtually no problems with it. I'll miss the brand and the history as well as that of Mercury.

Saturn and Hummer? No big loss.

But on a side note.. I rented an Aztec for a weekend a few years ago and absolutely LOVED it. They are ugly as sin but it was one of my favorite vehicles I've ever driven.

Go figure. :huh:

I have a Saturn Ion 2 and love it. It's the first model year and it has been quite reliable and gets great gas mileage. Most of the miles put on it are highway miles and I would have bought another based on the reliability of this one if I were to buy a new car again.

logrus
10-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Saturn has been gone for well over a year now. Most people who own a Saturn have to go through another dealership to get it fixed.

Neezar
10-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Saturn has been gone for well over a year now. Most people who own a Saturn have to go through another dealership to get it fixed.

:scared0011: We still have a Saturn dealer...for now.

(Hurries to get warranty stuff fixed.) :unsure-1:

cubsfan47
10-04-2010, 12:25 PM
:scared0011: We still have a Saturn dealer...for now.

(Hurries to get warranty stuff fixed.) :unsure-1:

I just received a letter from GM explaining that I will now have to get my work done at another local GM dealer. :angry:

Just yesterday I saw the former head of the local Saturn service department at Lowe's. He's now working at Ford. I think I know where I am going. Can you say "trade in"?

I went with Saturn three cars ago because all the other local GM dealers had managed to piss me off. Saturn made me happy enough I was a repeat customer.

Buzzard
10-05-2010, 02:31 AM

I was still able to get my vehicle serviced at my old Saturn dealership and they still honored the free safety inspection which we are required to get yearly. While I normally don't like taking my vehicle to a dealership for work, they always treated me fair and gave me discounts that I didn't know I could get. Hopefully this won't change.

Neezar
10-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Okay. They ARE closed already. :sad: I have to go elsewhere.

rearnakedchoke
10-06-2010, 06:33 PM
i guess that's what happens when you put an inferior product on the market .. they get obsolete real fast .. it sucks for those who happen to have just bought one and no longer have warranties or whatever ...