PDA

View Full Version : Life supporting Planet found 20LY away!

Tyburn
09-30-2010, 07:25 PM
:blink: thats REALLY close

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxdKXKdVuSM

I think they claimed at normal speeds, we have, its only 200 years away. ...thats almost do-able in the case of a dire emergency...not sure I like the idea of a Red Dwarf star though...closer to death then our own.

Crisco
09-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Actually scientists believe that REd dwarf stars can last longer then they say the universe has been around so I think your ok Dave.

I just watched a movie called pandorum. Pretty good..

Tyburn
09-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Actually scientists believe that REd dwarf stars can last longer then they say the universe has been around so I think your ok Dave.

:unsure-1:

Dwarfs eventually go out Crisco...The Star is shrinking, as it shrinks it will cool and give out less heat, this means that the orbiting satalites grow colder, and colder. You have to get closer and closer to the star in order fr habitable life to be possible.

Eventually the Dwarf will either go out, or become a neutron star...those do pretty much last forever...but they cant support a system thats habitable.

I've seen Pandorum...but that doesnt involve a Red Dwarf :laugh: at least...I missed that bit if it did. Sure they left Earth...but I never figured out exactly what happened to Earth....although it implied that Earth somehow became unihabitable, the ship wasnt despatched as a Generation ship, it was originally dispatched as a Terraforming type experiement. Just...branching out into space...not fleeing from a homeworld.

...and at the end, the star that lighted the new world wasnt a Dwarf :ninja:

Really, we want a star either in mid life, like our own, or else a newborn :w00t: the latter aint going to happen because of the protoplanet phase.....so the planet might be lovely, but the star is....not brilliant IMHO.

There must be loads of stars the suns age...thats what they should be focusing on. I would recommend Capella (if it had a system, and if the two binaries that are fresh and young, werent so close to the two binaries waiting to go nova.)

Also...what they didnt tell you in that video, is that this star systems planetary orbits are well bizzare. some of the planets dont spin, therefore the same side of the satalite always faces the sun...cant be much fun if you end up on the dark side can it :blink: Secondly, they have eliptical orbits that push them WAY far away from the sun at one part of the year, and finally, the one thats most habitable does an orbit swap with one of the inner planets...thats just asking for a planetary collision isnt it :rolleyes:

ufcfan2
10-01-2010, 03:39 AM

Ehh, I liked Sunshine better :)

Hrrmmm,so they found a planet that can substain life,wonder if there is life already on it?

Rochambeau
10-01-2010, 03:57 AM
How exciting. When are they going to find out more??

Tyburn
10-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Ehh, I liked Sunshine better :)

Hrrmmm,so they found a planet that can substain life,wonder if there is life already on it?

Plant life, possibly I suppose. They can find out about greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere, but thats about as far as they can go I believe. For example, large amounts of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide could indicate plant life changing one to the other...but it could also mean a lot of other things. Apparently, back when the system was first discovered about ten years ago, and it was a possibility that it would be habitable, they sent a message in that direction, one presumes radio waves

Brilliant

Except...they will take a long time to get there...and then of course...a long time to get back. Approximately 50 years from now we should know if anyone is there and can reply by the same method :laugh: I'm not holding my breath...BUT lets remember one thing...the Star is in its advanced age...Planets are formed in the Protoplanet stage...that other world is ALOT older then Earth...if conditions have been right for a long time, you would almost expect in an ideal universe life...and maybe more advanced since its been around longer.

There is of course the counter argument to that...which goes something like...millions of years ago the star would have been larger, and warmer, and planets further out would be in the habitable range. indicating that life on the outter planets may now be extinct, and life on the inner planets yet to form

meaning that the stars age is actually working against the possibility of life on that particular planet.

Tyburn
10-01-2010, 11:28 AM
How exciting. When are they going to find out more??

Probably never. There is only so far you can go wth telescopes. Being that we cant get there yet, much of the rest will be pure speculation on a few facts which could be explained in a multitude of ways.

Short of advanced life on that planet coming to us, we may never know. I hope that eventually space travel becomes possible and easy. I would love to see Capella...but its 42LY away :sad: thats over 400 years travel! if George Washington had got on a rocket at the time of the War of Independance he would only be about two thirds of the way there! :laugh:

Rochambeau
10-01-2010, 11:36 AM
One day I'll be a Starfleet Lieutenant and I'll get a closer look!