PDA

View Full Version : The Hatchlings of Bonnie and Pettis!!

Tyburn
09-26-2010, 02:49 PM
:w00t:

It has has happened. Our first egg has finanly hatched!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTg55AG60IY

Hopefully we will have three more sometime in the next few days!

Irish Pride
09-26-2010, 09:35 PM
CONGRATS! *Passes a cigar* :laugh:

Tyburn
09-26-2010, 09:51 PM
CONGRATS! *Passes a cigar* :laugh:

:happydancing: thank you! :happydancing:

I know its still alive, coz I saw it about half an hour ago, still moving, still waving its little head in the air with its beak open...they dont HAVE to feed it for another day because its born with a food yolk, but they have started feeding it, and it has begun to ask for food

The only disconcerting thing about the affair is that the parents arent treating it delicately. Father is sitting on it, and Mother tries to push it along by pecking at the fluffy, furry down that it was born with along its back.

ive nicknamed him (though I dont know what Gender it is yet) The Blob, because its blind and mute for now, and sorta falls about :laugh:

Pettis for the first time since Bonnie forced him to take over a share of incubation has started singing properly and fully again. He's a Father now :)

Tyburn
09-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Two have hatched!!! A second baby has been born in the nest!!!

Tyburn
09-26-2010, 10:24 PM
:laugh: no sleep for Bonnie and Pettis, who are crammed in their nest on top of two eggs and two new born chicks which wont stop moving. The pair close thier eyes and try to sleep and then you see the nest wobble and a mouth appear benieth a wing or between them or something, and both of the parents eyes immediately open again :laugh:

Rochambeau
09-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Can you tell them all apart?

Tyburn
09-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Can you tell them all apart?

:laugh: NO :laugh:

I've only seen them all a few times for a few short moments. The Eight Days of Wiening are touch and go for the youngsters. Until that time the Parents basically have to incubate live chicks, because they will die at room temperiture. This means they have to feed fast and keep the young covered up. Besides...they all look the same...a pinkish blob with white fluff on the back, an over sized head with an open beak, and dark black skin covered eyes. They are, at this stage both blind and mute. In a couple of days presuming they survive they should start to actively cherp, this will coincide with when the yolk, still attached to thier necks at present, runs out of food. Now as it happens, Bonnie and Pettis are both already actively feeding, and very much aware of their live young...but this coincision would spurr the parents to feed. A few days later their eyes should open, and the fluff on their backs should become small feathers. They will need less incubation then. Just over a week and they should be able to eat solids, and start looking like birds :laugh:

Then they will grow proper feathers and fledge for the first time. Thats when we should consider removal of the nest. Then they will be taught to eat and drink for themselves, and learn how to fly. only at that point will they begin to molt for the first time and their new feathers will have the adult plumage...thats the first time I shall be able to name them, for its the first time their gender will be revealed. Their beaks will change from black to red or yellow...and between 6 weeks and two months they shall be independant of their parents and ready to leave me for new homes in the pet store...and on to a loving home one hopes.

Rochambeau
09-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the bird lesson. You've talked to the shop about selling birds to them? You don't at all want to keep them?

Tyburn
09-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the bird lesson. You've talked to the shop about selling birds to them? You don't at all want to keep them?

:) your welcome.

No, I have not got the facilities to actually keep the birds. I suppose I might keep one...But this will be the start of many a venture...so the chances are I wont keep any of these, I shall maybe keep one from the clutch this time next year, when the birds are begining to age...you know...keep the children so when the parents die...I can take one from one clutch of Bonnie and Pettis...one from another clutch of Levon and Neezar...and litterally, tie the two families together :)

I refuse to indulge in Incest though....even though given half the chance...they soooo would. I dont want to do that. its unkempt.

Rochambeau
09-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Lawl at that last line. People don't seem to worry about that sort of thing with animals. I think it's a bit strange.

Tyburn
09-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Lawl at that last line. People don't seem to worry about that sort of thing with animals. I think it's a bit strange.

I think professional Bird Breeders would think otherwise.. Not that I am one...but incest leads to deformities and mutations, and limits possiblities because the genetics of the specimens are too similar

Levon, Pettis, Bonnie and Neezar, are all completely unrelated. Pettis and Bonnies children will not be related by blood to Neezar and Levons children

But a clutch from Bonnie and Pettis...and a chick from another clutch of the same parents, will be related...It wouldnt immediately cause problems...but I dont want to progress down that line. They are animals and dont know any better...but I, as the orchestrator...know that its not to be encouraged :)

Now...if Bonnie and Pettis had two clutches...and those two clutches had babies with independant males...I COULD breed their offspring together...they would be cousins...and thats not so bad because of the Fathers on both sides having fresh genetics. But in orderto do that, I would need two extra males, two offspring from different clutches, and their offspring of each to reach maturity

I havent got the resources for that kind of project :blink:

Rochambeau
09-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Maybe one day you will have better resources and you WILL be able to have all kinds of bird projects!!

Tyburn
09-27-2010, 07:00 PM
:laugh: one can only hope :laugh:

Tyburn
09-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Bonnie is learning from Pettis how to feed the children, but she is REALLY tiered, and the parents are struggling to get any sleep in the nest. When I woke up today I saw that Bonnie was pearched outside the nest fast asleep :laugh: She was on both legs so I guess the low protein diet is helpping reduce her gout and help her Kidneys also.

Pettis is the exact opposite...he is well charged up, he began singing again yesterday..something he stopped doing during the inncubation period, I think that he is happy! he is absolutely dedicated, I've seen him feeding the chicks all the time, and today there was this bizzare moment between him and I

So the nest was obviously getting cold because the pair had started to try and bring up scraps for lining. They want to line, and not build, so giving them straw wont help. I had this crazy idea that I could tear up strips of loo roll, so I did that and dropped it in the cage...but Bonnie didnt seem to get the idea...so I rolled up a little bit and put my hand with the loo roll at the entrance to the cage. Pettis leaned forward and grabbed the roll in his beak...so I got more...then he swapped places with bonnie, and went down and brought up the rest of the material. :ashamed:

Neezar
09-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Neezar had better be a loving mom. :angry:

:laugh:

Tyburn
09-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Neezar had better be a loving mom. :angry:

:laugh:

Neezar isnt going to be a Mum at this rate...she wont inncubate. I suspect we've lost the clutch already :sad: