PDA

View Full Version : Roanoke

Tyburn
09-14-2010, 09:29 PM
:huh:

Is it true, that the English set up a coloney on an Island near the US...and one day...the whole outpost dissapeared....:huh:

I was looking at the Marie Celeste earlier this evening...a Cursed Ship, that killed three Captains, and then set off across the Atlantic with a full crew, and was found sailing a month late, but empty...then after several owners, someone tried to use it as a fraud scam, filling it with shyte, and setting it alight so that they could claim on a non existant cargo....except....the ship wouldnt go through with the plan...and simply wouldnt sink :laugh:

VCURamFan
09-14-2010, 09:30 PM
:huh:

Is it true, that the English set up a coloney on an Island near the US...and one day...the whole outpost dissapeared....:huh:

I was looking at the Marie Celeste earlier this evening...a Cursed Ship, that killed three Captains, and then set off across the Atlantic with a full crew, and was found sailing a month late, but empty...then after several owners, someone tried to use it as a fraud scam, filling it with shyte, and setting it alight so that they could claim on a non existant cargo....except....the ship wouldnt go through with the plan...and simply wouldnt sink :laugh:
Yup, the first English colony in the New World vanished without a trace.

Turns out y'all ain't so good at keeping us Americans under your thumb!

Tyburn
09-14-2010, 09:37 PM

English Outposts dont simply "vanish without a trace"

Do people live there now :huh:

VCURamFan
09-14-2010, 09:41 PM
English Outposts dont simply "vanish without a trace"

Do people live there now :huh:
Well this one did. The were dropped off with all their gear, the ship went to London to re-supply & when it came back, there was no one left. All just gone. No mass graves, no torched town, no message explaining what happened: just gone.

And yes, there are now people living there, but it's none of the original settlers. What, did you think we'd just leave that whole region uninhabited as a tribute to your original colonial embarrassment? :laugh: :tongue0011:

Blade
09-14-2010, 10:32 PM

Must have been a bunch of cowards/convicts that got shipped out who got owned by the natives, good riddance. :tongue0011:

Tyburn
09-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Well this one did. The were dropped off with all their gear, the ship went to London to re-supply & when it came back, there was no one left. All just gone. No mass graves, no torched town, no message explaining what happened: just gone.

And yes, there are now people living there, but it's none of the original settlers. What, did you think we'd just leave that whole region uninhabited as a tribute to your original colonial embarrassment? :laugh: :tongue0011:

A whole town dissapears??? as in the buildings?? :blink: doesnt that strike you as...odd...even for the English :laugh:

I wouldnt be quick to repopulate an area without knowing what went wrong the first time...no :blink:

Play The Man
09-14-2010, 11:56 PM

Actually, a clue was left. The word "CROATOAN" was carved in a wooden post. There was a local Indian tribe of that name. There is some speculation that the colony became the slaves of Indians. There is a group trying to analyze the DNA of local Indian tribes to look for genetic traces of the Lost Colony.

Play The Man
09-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Must have been a bunch of cowards/convicts that got shipped out who got owned by the natives, good riddance. :tongue0011:

The Lost Colony actually was made up of good working people, men and women, who were trying to make a life for themselves. The first English child born on American soil, Virginia Dare, was part of the Lost Colony (born 1587). It is quite sad to realize she was likely murdered by Indians or taken as a slave and raped. Not a joking matter.

Here is a link to the Virginia Dare entry at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Dare

Blade
09-15-2010, 12:12 AM
The Lost Colony actually was made up of good working people, men and women, who were trying to make a life for themselves. The first English child born on American soil, Virginia Dare, was part of the Lost Colony (born 1587). It is quite sad to realize she was likely murdered by Indians or taken as a slave and raped. Not a joking matter.

Here is a link to the Virginia Dare entry at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Dare

Go flap your encyclopedia in someone else's direction thanks.

Play The Man
09-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Go flap your encyclopedia in someone else's direction thanks.

You're Welcome. The starting dose for Lithium is 600 mg. p.o TID.:wink:

Tyburn
09-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Actually, a clue was left. The word "CROATOAN" was carved in a wooden post. There was a local Indian tribe of that name. There is some speculation that the colony became the slaves of Indians. There is a group trying to analyze the DNA of local Indian tribes to look for genetic traces of the Lost Colony.

Wouldnt there be other evidence...like a besigement of the outpost...signs of combat?? and whilst that might explain what happened to the people...what about the town...Dont tell me a camp dwelling people deconstructed a whole town bit by bit to leave no trace :blink:

Half the native tribes are extinct, or subsequently interbread with later europeans...how could you be sure even if you found european DNA in a Native indian tribe, exactly when and where it entered the chain...we're talking the 1500s I presume if it was an early collonial outpost.

Besides...I was always led to believe that unless intimidated, or specifically at war...the Tribes were usually quite peaceful and if anythingmore likely to hide...is that not true?? A settlement obviously wont go unnoticed...but one presumes when word got back that a town had vanished...would not the people who came later enquire in a non to pleasent manner if they thought any Natives were to blame?

Are any of these Tribes properly preserved...or were the all obliterated during the formation of your Country :huh: Does one now need to go to Meso America to see of any possible preserved tribes?? they wouldnt keep records anyway but by untrusting word of mouth presumably an oral tradition hundreds of years in the making :ninja:

Tyburn
09-15-2010, 12:37 AM

Forget Lithium....try Arsnic :laugh: 1mg will do the trick....btw I VERY much doubt the starting dose is anywhere near 600mg....try 50mg :wink: although I can only speak of Sertraline :laugh:

Neezar
09-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Besides...I was always led to believe that unless intimidated, or specifically at war...the Tribes were usually quite peaceful and if anythingmore likely to hide...is that not true??

:rolleyes:

Play The Man
09-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Forget Lithium....try Arsnic :laugh: 1mg will do the trick....btw I VERY much doubt the starting dose is anywhere near 600mg....try 50mg :wink: although I can only speak of Sertraline :laugh:

Ask your pharmacist friend, Martin.:wink:

Play The Man
09-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Wouldnt there be other evidence...like a besigement of the outpost...signs of combat?? and whilst that might explain what happened to the people...what about the town...Dont tell me a camp dwelling people deconstructed a whole town bit by bit to leave no trace :blink:

Half the native tribes are extinct, or subsequently interbread with later europeans...how could you be sure even if you found european DNA in a Native indian tribe, exactly when and where it entered the chain...we're talking the 1500s I presume if it was an early collonial outpost.

Besides...I was always led to believe that unless intimidated, or specifically at war...the Tribes were usually quite peaceful and if anythingmore likely to hide...is that not true?? A settlement obviously wont go unnoticed...but one presumes when word got back that a town had vanished...would not the people who came later enquire in a non to pleasent manner if they thought any Natives were to blame?

Are any of these Tribes properly preserved...or were the all obliterated during the formation of your Country :huh: Does one now need to go to Meso America to see of any possible preserved tribes?? they wouldnt keep records anyway but by untrusting word of mouth presumably an oral tradition hundreds of years in the making :ninja:

Follow my link about Virginia Dare in the other post. Not always the most reliable source but a place to start. Unfortunately, most general history books treat this deadend of history with little more than a paragraph. Because their fate is not known, there is rampant speculation and a lot of questionable scholarship.

Play The Man
09-15-2010, 01:02 AM

Some were friendly . . . some wanted your scalp hanging from their belt.

Tyburn
09-15-2010, 12:50 PM

:huh: If you an expert in the specific Tribes of Costal North Carolina Circa 1500...then do tell :frantics:

Bonnie
09-15-2010, 04:47 PM

:laugh: Something tells me Blade would not be compliant and stay on his meds. :scared0011:

:laugh: