PDA

View Full Version : Bonnie lays an egg!!

Tyburn
09-12-2010, 08:04 AM
:ninja:

For those of you who arent connected to my facebook page...you will not know of the concern and near tragic actions of yesterday. At Lunchtime Yesterday Bonnie was on her perch and ballencing on a single leg. Budgies do this all the time, but its rare for a finch to do it, unless there is a problem.

Duly I took Bonnie out of the cage for a leg examination and couldnt see any problem. I now suspect she was uncomfortable because she was ready to lay her first egg. Anyway, she got away from me as I was trying to put her back and flew out of the room and into the kitchen where she crash landed in the washing up bowl.

I scooped her out in seconds, but she was very bedraggled and I think a little bit shocked. I dried her off, and placed her back in her cage, and by the time I finished my shift, she seemd as good as new...but she was still ballencing on one leg a lot.

Today when I got up, I do as I have done every single day, and check the nests...and I found an egg!!!

Now there are a couple of things to remember.

1) the egg may not be fertile. Female Birds occasionally lay eggs at random. We will know if she lays another egg tonight, and a third tommorow, if its the start of a clutch...or if its just expelling an egg.

2) Young parents can sometimes distroy and eat their own eggs because they dont know what to do. At the moment its whole...but she is also sitting on it...which she shouldnt do for three days...incubation begins after the third egg on the third consecutive day...we also have to remember the nest in the case of Bonnie and Pettis is a tad to small...if she lays a large clutch some may well fall out by accident

But at present...it looks like Bonnie might be making a family. IF this is the case, then we count 14 days from the third egg, and say hello to Chicks on Monday 27th September 2010 :happydancing:

Play The Man
09-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Jingle Bells . . . Batman smells . . . Bonnie . . . :happydancing::happydancing:

J.B.
09-12-2010, 12:20 PM
bedraggled

:laugh:

funny word

Tyburn
09-12-2010, 12:24 PM
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/3163/eggo.jpg (http://img843.imageshack.us/i/eggo.jpg/)

Good News! Bonnie is still persistantly standing on one leg...I think this is indicative of a second egg...if true, this will be two eggs in two days, a clear indication of a fertilzed Clutch on the way!!!

J.B.
09-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Good News! Bonnie is still persistantly standing on one leg...I think this is indicative of a second egg...if true, this will be two eggs in two days, a clear indication of a fertilzed Clutch on the way!!!

You are gonna get pecked....mommas don't like nosy people....:laugh:

Tyburn
09-12-2010, 12:46 PM
You are gonna get pecked....mommas don't like nosy people....:laugh:

Bonnie seems very reluctant to do very much. I think being laden with eggs is not very pleasent for her. She wanted to go to the carrot dish but she didnt want to have to jump from the bottom perch...she took her time like a bird with a real issue...She is a first time Mother, and I think by standing on one leg she is trying to ease the discomfort of having the egg...she actually makes a whine when Pettis pushes past her in the nest

I took the straw out...coz Pettis obviously doesnt know what to do. He saw the egg, got uber excited and started bringing up nesting material :laugh: which made photographing the egg difficult...it also meant he was trying to weave whilst Bonnie was trying to relax...soooo I took away his spare nesting material...Young Zebra Finches can burry the eggs by accident, leading to abandonment of unhatched clutches...not deliberately...but I aint gonna take the chance that Pettis rejig of the nest burries the egg

They are now both enjoying some carrot :w00t:

Tyburn
09-12-2010, 01:13 PM
I wont lie, I am a little concerned that Bonnie might have bumblefoot...but time will tell for both, and I have an avien vet on standby...once Bumblefoot gets bad, its obvious...for now, as there is no true sign of it...im gonna say its egg laying discomfort...I keep a close eye on my birds...I know as soon as they know when something is up coz I watch their behaviour closely :ninja:

J.B.
09-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Young Zebra Finches can burry the eggs by accident, leading to abandonment of unhatched clutches...not deliberately...but I aint gonna take the chance that Pettis rejig of the nest burries the egg

Rabbits will eat the babies they don't like...not deliberately...of course....:laugh:

Tyburn
09-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Rabbits will eat the babies they don't like...not deliberately...of course....:laugh:

:unsure-1:

Sometimes, Zebra Finches can accidently kill their young by breaking and eating the eggs before they hatch.

I hope Bonnie doesnt do that :unsure:

:laugh:

flo
09-12-2010, 07:26 PM
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/3163/eggo.jpg (http://img843.imageshack.us/i/eggo.jpg/)

OK, now what is that?!? It looks like Blade's old avatar in the background...:scared0015:

flo
09-12-2010, 07:28 PM
I have to admit I laughed when I read the headline on the front page...:wink:

Yes, it's probably a good idea to just leave her alone right now.

Tyburn
09-12-2010, 08:52 PM
OK, now what is that?!? It looks like Blade's old avatar in the background...:scared0015:

That is THE EGG, its in amoungst the hay!! deep in the bowels of the nest. I dare not get any closer :ninja:

flo
09-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Thanks, Dave, it makes sense now.

You're going to be a grandpa. :)

Tyburn
09-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks, Dave, it makes sense now.

You're going to be a grandpa. :)

:ashamed: I SO hope so!! :happydancing:

Blade
09-13-2010, 07:11 PM

Was I really that memorable to you? lol

flo
09-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Was I really that memorable to you? lol

Not you, your avatar. :wink::tongue0011:

Blade
09-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Not you, your avatar. :wink::tongue0011:

What do you mean? That avatar was me before I turned into a homeless guy who eats old cigars.