PDA

View Full Version : Remembering.......

DonnaMaria
09-11-2010, 05:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY00LmtUlqQ&feature=related

Rochambeau
09-11-2010, 05:50 AM
It was real horror. I was watching a video last night and it's not really easy to watch, even now.

DonnaMaria
09-11-2010, 06:01 AM
I was teaching when a custodian came in and told us the news. I remember terrified parents coming to school to get their children. I remember my afternoon class being cancelled and going into the teachers room and watching the news......no one talking or eating.

I remember a 4th grade teacher who tried for hours to reach her son who was at school in NYC. I remember holding hands with a dozen others to pray for him and for everyone that day. I remember her hysterical screams in the hallway when she finally reached him and he was alright.

I remember my father who was a retired North Jersey fire chief going to NYC to help.....and finding out that the firefighter sons of some of his friends had died trying to save the lives of people trapped in the towers.

I remember that the day was so beautiful outside. perfect. the sky so blue, the birds singing, the air warm and lovely. and i couldn't believe that just 3 hours away by car there was so much death and violence.

I remember a preschool student screaming at the sight of a low flying crop dusting plane. He dove under a bench on the playground because he thought the plane was going to fly into us and kill us.

And I remember the children in my class building block towers......and flying the Little Tykes airplanes into them over and over and over and over.........

Rochambeau
09-11-2010, 06:25 AM
It definitely put fear into people.

Bonnie
09-11-2010, 08:31 AM
It was real horror. I was watching a video last night and it's not really easy to watch, even now.

I was watching last night (Friday) and they played audio from Flight 11 the first plane that hit Tower 1. One of the flight attendants had called (I guess it was the airport control tower) and was relaying what had happened aboard the plane, then they played audio of the control tower calling her name, but there was just silence....

The plane had already hit the first tower.

Tyburn
09-11-2010, 04:21 PM
:sad:

flo
09-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks for posting that, Donna Maria.

I always watch this film on 9/11 http://www.gunstuff.com/america-attacked.html

hughesfan4life
09-11-2010, 09:30 PM
definately one of the saddest days ever in history.the shopping centre i work in did a silent tribute as it does every year,in my store we all say a prayer together and reflect on the lives lost and the impact on those who lost friends and family.the courage and bravery of the american people knows no bounds...."GOD BLESS AMERICA".

Play The Man
09-13-2010, 09:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbOzSeu6sJA&feature=player_embedded

This is a link to a YouTube video of a 911 call made by Kevin Cosgrove. He was trapped on one of the top floors of one of the towers. It is a very haunting thing to listen to because you know he is going to die at 4:37 of the video clip. You hear his final scream as he dies. In the minutes before the collapse, he says "We are young men up here. We are not ready to die" (quote from memory; may not be exact). You can sense his bitter frustration. You feel bad for the 911 operator who takes his wrath. When our politicians do not look after our interests and keep us safe, it isn't the politicians who are usually the victims. It is people like Kevin Cosgrove. The politicians react when it is too late. Political correctness, apathy, carelessness, and incompetence killed Kevin Cosgrove. Nine years later and we still have millions of unknown people streaming across our border each year. We still have radical Imams preaching in Mosques. We are still allowing immigration from Muslim countries. We still haven't decided the fate of terrorists in Guantanamo Bay. We still consider Saudi Arabia an ally. And now we have an Imam wanting to build a mosque on the ashes of Kevin Cosgrove's incinerated body.

Silverback
09-13-2010, 11:47 AM
I remember digging a new road way into The Muny in Forest Park in downtown St. Louis, Mo. The excavator I was running did not have a radio, one of the laborer's that was checking grade for me came over and told me to shut down and come to the owners truck. Everyone on the job had gathered round and I remember like it was yesterday, that as I was walking over to the truck that all the people running in the park had started to bunch up, all the cars that was driving by had stopped, everything just stopped moving. When it started to sink in what had happened, the outrage that was being felt by everyone there, a few people did leave after a while, but most stayed there in till around 4 or 5 that afternoon, glued to the radio. To be a American, one could never forget that day! God bless those that lost their lives, and to everyone that lost someone that day.

BamaGrits84
09-13-2010, 04:46 PM
I was pregnant with my first child. The radio in my car was broken so when i walked in work and no one was in the front office I had no idea what was going on. I walked in the break room and almost everyone was staring at the TV crying. I watched for several minutes and walked outside, looked up at the sky, and asked God to prepare my heart for whatever was next. It was like I didn't expect to live. Like the world was ending on that day for everyone.

Two of my friends at work had husbands in the military and one of them even had a child on the base daycare on that day. Her son wasn't released until 9pm that night because his base was put on high alert and no one could get on or off. The director of the center told my friend her son was safer with them than he would be with her. My other friend's husband finally got a call out at aournd 2 that afternoon. He told her he'd been loading missles all day and had no idea when he'd be home - turned out to be 3 days later. It's amazing to know what is kept under ground at some of these bases.

Spiritwalker
09-13-2010, 05:23 PM
I was flying into Baltimore.. to do a job for the company that I worked for at the time..we landed and were getting rental cars to head to the hotel.. when everyone started talking.. then the news "really hit".

I called my wife to let her know I was ok.. I took my rental car and drove home. I got close to the pentagon.. and I have never seen such "chaos".

What really struck me was a couple of days later.. the lack of sound from there being no airplanes in the air.

flo
09-13-2010, 08:05 PM
I agree with what you wrote, PTM; the politicians are usually not the ones reaping the consequences of their mistakes. I have heard the Kevin Cosgrove tape before, it's haunting and upsetting. The "Kevin Cosgrove Tribute" at the top of your linked page tells a little bit about him, this was a real person that died and begged for help, not just a number, 1 of 3,000.

I watch the videos and listen to the tapes because I don't want to forget what the Islamofascists did to us and hope to do again. The History Channel had an excellent collection of videos shot by NYers that day - nothing political, just what happened through their eyes. I don't know if anyone else caught it but it sure gave me a new perspective on the events of that terrible day.

Tyburn
09-13-2010, 08:51 PM
I agree with what you wrote, PTM; the politicians are usually not the ones reaping the consequences of their mistakes. I have heard the Kevin Cosgrove tape before, it's haunting and upsetting. The "Kevin Cosgrove Tribute" at the top of your linked page tells a little bit about him, this was a real person that died and begged for help, not just a number, 1 of 3,000.

I watch the videos and listen to the tapes because I don't want to forget what the Islamofascists did to us and hope to do again. The History Channel had an excellent collection of videos shot by NYers that day - nothing political, just what happened through their eyes. I don't know if anyone else caught it but it sure gave me a new perspective on the events of that terrible day.

For some reason...its the papers.

Long before the Towers Collapse, the roads and air seem to fill up with bits of paper, flapping and torn, everywhere, raining from where the towers were struck one presumes...

Suddenly it seems so...pointless...not just what the terrorists did...but the whole set up...paper...thats what happens when you cut the worlds super power, paper comes out...sheets and sheets...reams...telling one presumes, countless stories, or countless workings, of people in business for years and years...that is what their days have been about, creating, and writing on that paper, scribbling on it is what gives them the money to support their families...the whole place ran on paper...that billows and blows like clouds above the streets.

For a while people abandoned the humdrum lives, dedicated to the advancement of human endevour, however valient...and they focused on their lives, their place in the universe, their love for their family, and their loyalty to their country...and then a lot of them, and those who rushed to help died.

Thats what gets me everytime....and after that the pryroclaustic flow of crumbled concreate that rushed through the entire length of the peninsular, and coloured everything white. Behold I make all things new. As if those ikons which until that day had seemed unshakable and permanant...and yet they had faded to blue sky by lunchtime. There are lessons to be learned from this..lessons about what truely matters in life, and lessons about...almost the futility of human striving in a less then GODly world.

I was reminded of this when I listened to the begining of "Love Actually" a crass film...but it begins, and ends in an airport...and it highlights exactly the point I am trying to make...when push comes to shove, anger, bitterness, strivings, drive, impulse...the whole lot weather good or bad, ceases...and instead somehow what is good and best about people, for a few brief moments becomes tangable.

I think it most poignent, that it takes that...it takes that immediate apparent end, in order to illicit the response that GOD sometimes waits your whole life to receive. I imagine some people lived more in those 100 minuits then they might have done in the best part of 50 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDZUfGBUSeY

DonnaMaria
09-14-2010, 12:58 AM
It was horrible. Horrible horrible horrible. And it seems like the country has forgotten already.

I think everyone should have to watch 9-11 videos. Especially on 9-11. There shouldn't be anything else on t.v. that day. nothing. it's the least we can do. to remember.