PDA

View Full Version : J-lau outtie for awhile

Crisco
02-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, it looks like I will be having ACL surgery next week. I have had a history of bad luck with my knees. I have already had two knee surgeries… meniscectomies on both knees. Those surgeries were relatively simple because they just go in arthoscopically and shave down the meniscus. There is no stitching and no repairing done.
The surgery scheduled for next week will not be so simple. Unlike the last two times, I will need my meniscus repaired. Instead of just shaving that little piece out, they will be stitching it up and getting it to sit back in place.
To make things much worse, I need to have my ACL repaired as well. They think my torn ACL is causing my knee to shift ever so slightly and its destroying my meniscus. They could stop after the meniscus repair but its just going to happen again. ACL surgery should fix that, but its a very long rehab and my knee may never be the same again. There are three options for the surgery (patella, hamstring and cadaver). Each has different advantages and disadvantages. I was going to do the Patella but have been convinced to go the Cadaver route.
Long story short… I will be off my feet for a month to a month and a half… training SUPER light in about 4 or 5 months… training decently hard in about 9 months and fighting in around 12-14 months. Its going to be a long rehab… but thats how it goes.
Looks like I will have lots of time to play Xbox… (and no, not giving out my gamertag… sorry).

From his website apparently

Krupp
02-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah this is a bummer. I just hope that whenever he gets back he continues to climb the LW ladder...he's a terrific fighter, one of my all-time favs.

Jonlion
02-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Well, it looks like I will be having ACL surgery next week. I have had a history of bad luck with my knees. I have already had two knee surgeries… meniscectomies on both knees. Those surgeries were relatively simple because they just go in arthoscopically and shave down the meniscus. There is no stitching and no repairing done.
The surgery scheduled for next week will not be so simple. Unlike the last two times, I will need my meniscus repaired. Instead of just shaving that little piece out, they will be stitching it up and getting it to sit back in place.
To make things much worse, I need to have my ACL repaired as well. They think my torn ACL is causing my knee to shift ever so slightly and its destroying my meniscus. They could stop after the meniscus repair but its just going to happen again. ACL surgery should fix that, but its a very long rehab and my knee may never be the same again. There are three options for the surgery (patella, hamstring and cadaver). Each has different advantages and disadvantages. I was going to do the Patella but have been convinced to go the Cadaver route.
Long story short… I will be off my feet for a month to a month and a half… training SUPER light in about 4 or 5 months… training decently hard in about 9 months and fighting in around 12-14 months. Its going to be a long rehab… but thats how it goes.
Looks like I will have lots of time to play Xbox… (and no, not giving out my gamertag… sorry).

Knees are killers.

My knee now creaks like an old barn door and whilst i can run on it and do things, it is never the same and some cold mornings it can be very stiff and painful.

You only hope that as atheletes, they train everyday and so can rebuild the knee as strong as ever unlike people like me who sit in an office or study and cant dedicate as much time to rehab as i would like. Part of that is just because i am bad!

But i wish him all the best

GroundNPound
02-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Knees are killers.

My knee now creaks like an old barn door and whilst i can run on it and do things, it is never the same and some cold mornings it can be very stiff and painful.

You only hope that as atheletes, they train everyday and so can rebuild the knee as strong as ever unlike people like me who sit in an office or study and cant dedicate as much time to rehab as i would like. Part of that is just because i am bad!

But i wish him all the best

I feel your "pain"...I had an ACL done a long time ago and that knee has never been quite the same. I can run, etc. but some days it is sore.

I'm always amazed at how these guys can train so much and not get torn down.

Jonlion
02-27-2009, 07:30 PM
I feel your "pain"...I had an ACL done a long time ago and that knee has never been quite the same. I can run, etc. but some days it is sore.

I'm always amazed at how these guys can train so much and not get torn down.

Its funny isnt because i never quite know exactly what it is that makes it goes all stiff but some days. I think its when its cold and damp but im not sure!

maybe its the huge screw in there! :laugh:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg186/jonlion/Knee.jpg

VCURamFan
02-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Man, knee surgeries suck.

Bonnie
02-27-2009, 10:20 PM
I heard the ones done way back when could make a grown man cry. They must have been really awful. :cry:

Jonlion
02-27-2009, 11:49 PM
The worst thing for me is that the rupture of just about everything in my knee was caught on camera. it was a footballl (soccer) match. And to boot it was a culmination of some terrible skill on the ball.

I rememeber just collapsing on my Knee, and seeing my kneecap slide off to the side and then come back again.

Being ignorant as hell, i thought it would be alright. Hobbled off the field, thinking 5 mins, i might be able to get on, then the thing swelled to something huge and i realised i had done something bad. Not out of bravery did i not complain but plain stupidity!

Bonnie
02-28-2009, 01:02 AM
I played volleyball in high school and we were doing drills running back and forth. All of a sudden there was the most horrific scream, stopped everybody in their tracks. One of the girls was down on the ground and we all ran over to see what had happened. Her knee was like yours, all the way flipped to the side except it stayed there. She had to have knee surgery and be in a cast. The sad part was she was going to college on a volleyball scholarship all paid, but that all ended that day for her. :sad:

Jonlion
02-28-2009, 01:23 AM
I played volleyball in high school and we were doing drills running back and forth. All of a sudden there was the most horrific scream, stopped everybody in their tracks. One of the girls was down on the ground and we all ran over to see what had happened. Her knee was like yours, all the way flipped to the side except it stayed there. She had to have knee surgery and be in a cast. The sad part was she was going to college on a volleyball scholarship all paid, but that all ended that day for her. :sad:

Man, its funny because i am over it now but i just think if the ball hadnt been kicked there, i would not have made the movement i did, if i had just headed the ball, this injury would never of happened.

Its a real kicker but for them same reasons, i believe it was meant to happen and so take it in good grace!

Man, that is scary with the platella staying there, that would have panicked me!

lc87
02-28-2009, 01:30 AM
Poor j-lau I always rooted for him I just wish he would have beaten kenflo. I think if that fight wasn't in denver it may have been different.

sasquatch
02-28-2009, 02:00 AM
Aw that sucks. I hurt my knee three weeks ago and it's not feeling any better, I'm starting to worry.:unsure-1:

Tyburn
03-01-2009, 01:42 AM

:sad: Sooooo now we can start to eliminate a few contenders from this division. We can say with confidence that Joe Lauzon, Joe Stevenson and Roger Huerta are pretty much out for the count, one of injured, one on retired for now, and one...not doing so well academically so to speak :unsure-1:

I bet I could get his gamer tag from him :laugh: :laugh: