PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone keep a Journal or Diary?

Tyburn
09-06-2010, 11:02 PM
I dont think I've ever asked this question before :laugh:

I have a whole Crate with many Journals. I opened my Account on Saturday February 17th 1996 :laugh: I remember that my parents had taken me to a big stationary store called "office world" and I bought an A4 page-a-day diary, and from then on decided I would write...course I would lose the book for weeks sometimes, or forget to write...but my Parents thought it was a great idea because not only did it focus the mind, but it also improved my handwriting...and thus it has been a custom each year for them to buy me a Diary by 1998-2001 I was like writing many days, then between 2001-2003 whilst at University I sort of lost interest, then 2003-2005 again I was writing alot, then another trough 2006-2008, then back 2009 :laugh: My Diary is called "Keith" dont ask me why, its an increadibly long, boring, and convoluted tale...I always write to Keith...so usually it begins "Dear Keith...blah, blah, blah" ahahahaha I'm like a magpie...so my diary is usually in a terrible condition after 365 days of use...things get spilt all over it, and wrappers, and sticky tabs, and post it notes, and recipts, and all kinds of things get stappled in.

This crate lies side by side next to the crate which holds all my bills, and letters, and bank statements, pay slips and the likes. I have bank statements going all the way back in a near unbroken monthly line allllll the way to 15th November 1999

But thats not all :ninja:

I also have a Spiritual Journal, im on my second volume, and basically its a depositary of things which arent connected to what I do so much as feel, entries appear as and when, that was started in the Millenial Year.

Then I have a travel Journal...which records all my holidays, and also trips, I record meals out, BBQs and all kinds of things, like a record of meeting my Mother for Coffee, or taking my Sister Rosy to Church :frantics:

I have a People Book, which doubles as a leavers book, and an autograph book which was founded in 2003. I have two callendars with about 400 odd yearly occurances. This year I founded my Bird Breeding Book...to keep tabs on my birds and their offspring and the likes, I'm gonna back date it and make it a record of pets also.

Now you see how much of a J I am...besides all that I also go through hundreds of exercise books, which are full of "to do" lists, I have a weekly Video Blog going back 129 weeks, all charting and recording my history.

I'm what you might call, ever so slightly...obsessive about it actually :laugh:

and for fun...here is my Centenary Blog LMAO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB_9HFdZXVA

Play The Man
09-06-2010, 11:29 PM
No

Tyburn
09-06-2010, 11:36 PM
No

:blink:

Why not

:huh:

TexasRN
09-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Nope. I tried once and didn't like it. I do however, keep an open letter to my daughter going that I started when she was born. I write in it when something crosses my mind that I want her to know when she's grown. It's just thoughts about the world, her, my life, my memories from childhood, my parents, etc. I plan to give it to her when she turns 18. Or 21. I haven't decided for sure yet.

~Amy

Play The Man
09-06-2010, 11:45 PM

Why not

:huh:

:blink:Why?

:laugh:I have a Moleskine Weekly Diary which I use as a planner to write down appointments and deadlines. It is almost entirely used for future events, not past or present events. Occasionally, I will write a word or two, like "Weekend at the beach" or "Kids home sick", just as a reminder of when something occurred. However, no commentary or detailed account. I guess I am afraid that I would descend into solipsism.

Play The Man
09-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Nope. I tried once and didn't like it. I do however, keep an open letter to my daughter going that I started when she was born. I write in it when something crosses my mind that I want her to know when she's grown. It's just thoughts about the world, her, my life, my memories from childhood, my parents, etc. I plan to give it to her when she turns 18. Or 21. I haven't decided for sure yet.

~Amy

That is a great idea, NCRN! (:wink:) I might steal that from you.

TexasRN
09-06-2010, 11:52 PM
That is a great idea, NCRN! (:wink:) I might steal that from you.

:laugh:

Steal it. I've really enjoyed writing to her all these years.

~Amy

Tyburn
09-06-2010, 11:52 PM
:blink:Why?

solipsism.

You mean Descartesian Radical Doubt :huh: :laugh:

See for me, I think it does the opposite, it convinces me that things happen TO me, and therefore there is a world outside of me, and I have to remember important dates so I can reflect on them :)

I could see how it might be narccasssssistic :ashamed:

Play The Man
09-07-2010, 12:22 AM
You mean Descartesian Radical Doubt :huh: :laugh:

See for me, I think it does the opposite, it convinces me that things happen TO me, and therefore there is a world outside of me, and I have to remember important dates so I can reflect on them :)

I could see how it might be narccasssssistic :ashamed:

I wasn't using its philosophical definition. I was using it in this sense:

extreme preoccupation with and indulgence of one's feelings, desires, etc.; egoistic self-absorption.

cubsfan47
09-07-2010, 11:56 AM
I agree with Play the man.

In the past when i tried one, more than once, the end was always the same.

matthughesfan21
09-07-2010, 12:21 PM

Why not

:huh:I have a memory...If anything happened that is relevant enough to write down, chances are I'm going to remember it anyways...There is no need to know what I had for breakfast 6 months ago, it's just trivial BS...No need to write down what I already did

Tyburn
09-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Well, I am not ashamed of my Records, they are very useful to have IMO