PDA

View Full Version : Do You Remember?

Play The Man
09-06-2010, 09:28 AM
We are coming up on the anniversary of the September 11th attacks. Do you remember what you were doing on September 11, 2001?

Rochambeau
09-06-2010, 10:18 AM
My Mum came into my room and woke me up saying that there were terrorists in America. I'm quite sure that she switched on the TV. I watched what had happened on the TV and it was upsetting. I went to school quite worried.

TexasRN
09-06-2010, 02:18 PM
I had taken the kids to the library. I was a stay at home mom at the time. When we pulled in to park back at home one of my neighbors was standing there looking panicked and told me that a plane had hit buildings in NYC. I took my little ones inside and turned on the tv and just sat there watching the horror. Later that afternoon, not knowing where else to go or what else to do, we went to our church. The pastor decided to have a service that evening so I helped set up for that and agreed to staff the nursery. We lived in PA at the time, right on the border of NJ and we had commuters in our town that died in the attacks. It was a scary, scary time. :sad:

~Amy

cubsfan47
09-06-2010, 03:25 PM
I was delivering a lecture in my morning class and by the time I was out, both towers had fallen.

I also remember what I was doing when JFK was shot, and when Ruby Ridge, Waco, and the Oklahoma City bombing. One of the "benefits" of age is remembrance. Great tragedies all.

For you "kids" out there, it never stops. :sad:

Buzzard
09-06-2010, 08:48 PM
We are coming up on the anniversary of the September 11th attacks. Do you remember what you were doing on September 11, 2001?

Vividly. In fact there was a post like this a few years back, not sure if it was before or after the forum died and was renewed where I posted what I was doing then.

TexasRN
09-06-2010, 10:37 PM
I was delivering a lecture in my morning class and by the time I was out, both towers had fallen.

I also remember what I was doing when JFK was shot, and when Ruby Ridge, Waco, and the Oklahoma City bombing. One of the "benefits" of age is remembrance. Great tragedies all.

For you "kids" out there, it never stops. :sad:

I lived just 30 minutes from Waco when it happened. I never knew the compound existed until then.

I remember the Oklahoma City Bombing. I was planning my wedding and was watching tv while tying up birdseed bundles.

~Amy

Tyburn
09-06-2010, 11:41 PM
:unsure-1: Yes I do remember what I was doing on September 11th 2001. :sad: You know that next year will be the Tenth Memorial of the event. A decade since.

I was packing my bags after the Summer Holidays ready to return to The University of Bradford, I wanted to go back early because it was the start of our student house. It was around Lunchtime, and I had the TV on in the living room for some noise as I packed. I remember seeing images of a very tall building smoking like some volcano, but by that time, Mother and Me had eaten dinner and the TV was on silent.

I turned the sound up when I saw the building actually collapse. I didnt know much about America then. I didnt even know what city of the world I was looking at.

The Paper headlines are stuck in page 23 and 24 of my Spiritual Journal Volume One, "World on the Brink" "Collapse of a giant" "Declaration of war"

Though it is not a recorded date in my Journals, which jump from 9th to 15th of September that year. I do know what I was doing exactly a year before, having an increadibly bad day actually.

My journals go back 15 years, but September 11th is only record in in the Millenial Year

I remember far more vividly the London Bombings of 7/7/2005 because I was the early that day at Saint Paul's Cathedral, when I should have been in the vacinity of Tavistock Square waiting for a bus :sad: had it not been for a bizzare last moment rota swap I might well have died five years ago :unsure-1:

Tyburn
09-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Vividly. In fact there was a post like this a few years back, not sure if it was before or after the forum died and was renewed where I posted what I was doing then.

It didnt die, it jumpped servers :)

Play The Man
09-07-2010, 01:49 AM
I was getting ready for work, ironing some clothing. I was listening to the radio and there was a brief mention of a plane hitting the WTC. I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but about two weeks before 9/11, some jackass crashed into the Statue of Liberty's torch with a paraglider. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/aug/23/sillyseason.media The radio report occurred during the regularly scheduled newsbreak/commercial break. It was not an emergency newsbreak during regular programming. The report was vague but it didn't sound too concerning. It didn't mention that the plane was a large commercial airliner. I thought it was probably a small plane or paraglider, just like the jackass incident of August 23, 2001 at the Statue of Liberty. As I was ironing my clothes, I turned on the TV. It was the Today Show. The television wasn't on for very long before the second plane hit the other WTC tower on live television. My wife was out of town at a conference in Washington, D.C. I immediately telephoned her hotel room and said "We are at War!" "Turn on the television!" Subsequently, the Pentagon was hit in D.C. and I became concerned for my wife's safety. There were incorrect reports that a car bomb went off at the State Department. There were reports that more planes were in the air and likely headed for the White House. My wife's hotel was close to the Washington landmarks. I didn't know whether to tell her to stay in the hotel or to try to flee from the city. I briefly made an appearance at work and then took a few co-workers back to my place to watch the news reports. Thankfully, my wife was o.k. She was stranded in D.C. when they shut down the airspace over the U.S. Her employer hired a charter bus to transport her and her coworkers half-way across the country.

Bonnie
09-07-2010, 03:23 AM
I was at home and my twin sister called me. She asked me if I had the tv on, I said no, and she told me to turn it on. I watched the first plane hit and thought that something must have happened to the plane that caused it to come down and it just happened to crash into the first tower. But then, they showed the second plane hit the second tower and I knew something else was happening. All I could think was that we were somehow under attack, but by who or what.... That's the first time in my life I had ever felt that kind of fear, that we were being attacked here, in America. It was then I realized just how vunerable we are...our borders. And for the life of me, I will never understand our government not securing our borders after 9/11. :angry:

flo
09-07-2010, 03:27 AM
Yes, I remember it all clear as a bell.

Tyburn
09-07-2010, 12:44 PM
I was getting ready for work, ironing some clothing. I was listening to the radio and there was a brief mention of a plane hitting the WTC. I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but about two weeks before 9/11, some jackass crashed into the Statue of Liberty's torch with a paraglider. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/aug/23/sillyseason.media The radio report occurred during the regularly scheduled newsbreak/commercial break. It was not an emergency newsbreak during regular programming. The report was vague but it didn't sound too concerning. It didn't mention that the plane was a large commercial airliner. I thought it was probably a small plane or paraglider, just like the jackass incident of August 23, 2001 at the Statue of Liberty. As I was ironing my clothes, I turned on the TV. It was the Today Show. The television wasn't on for very long before the second plane hit the other WTC tower on live television. My wife was out of town at a conference in Washington, D.C. I immediately telephoned her hotel room and said "We are at War!" "Turn on the television!" Subsequently, the Pentagon was hit in D.C. and I became concerned for my wife's safety. There were incorrect reports that a car bomb went off at the State Department. There were reports that more planes were in the air and likely headed for the White House. My wife's hotel was close to the Washington landmarks. I didn't know whether to tell her to stay in the hotel or to try to flee from the city. I briefly made an appearance at work and then took a few co-workers back to my place to watch the news reports. Thankfully, my wife was o.k. She was stranded in D.C. when they shut down the airspace over the U.S. Her employer hired a charter bus to transport her and her coworkers half-way across the country.

What everyone forgets is that when the first plane crashed into the building, the first thought was that it was an almighty accident....its common not to jump to the extremes even in the midst of attacks....when the Bombs went off in Liverpool Street Station, everyone was convinced it was just some power coils overloaded.

It wasnt until the rest of the bombs went off...or the other Plane crashed into the other tower, that suddenly you realize that it was no accident...I went on the post round after hearing about the Liverpool Street issue, effectively leaving the cathedral wide open and relatively unattended. Half was round we discovered what had happened...and it was more then enough time for anyone who wanted to plant bombs on the premesis to do so! You just dont know...and thats when you panic :unsure-1:

Where else will be a Bombers target? how many more planes are there?? thats when it gets scary :sad:

matthughesfan21
09-07-2010, 01:24 PM
6th grade Math class...Teacher got a call about it and got the news streaming on his computer and the 1st tower had already fallen, within 2 minutes of watching, the second tower fell

Sunday night I watched "Inside 9/11" on NatGeo. It's like the 3rd time I've seen it, but it still shakes me up everytime