PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on this?

AMJ
09-04-2010, 11:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqbQWxHIn4U&feature=player_embedded#!

Would you defend her rights?

On a sidenote, this show is amazing, it's on ABC and it pretty much captures how people would react in reality when confronted with awkward scenario's. From racism, abuse, theft etc.

Definitely a must watch show if you're interested in social pyschology.

(Can we embed video's on the forum, yay or nay?)

flo
09-05-2010, 01:19 AM
I'll give you my honest opinion, AMJ, don't take it personally!
When I first saw this show, I thought it was interesting but it made me uncomfortable. I don't watch it anymore because I find it to be preachy and they try to shame people into getting involved in dicey situations. First of all, who made ABC the moral police? Try getting involved in Detroit or Oakland and see where that gets you.

I think it's ABC's way of showing their own bias..."see, white people are racist, sexist and homophobic, just like we thought!", when, in fact, there are good and bad people in every category - ethnicity, religion, sexual preference, etc.

People with a conscience know the right thing to do. One also has to know when it's safe to get involved.

flo
09-05-2010, 01:21 AM
Although I have to say the show about the "thefts" in the open house were very interesting and I was glad so many people did the right thing. Remember, though, how they tried to make it about race? Didn't work.

Rochambeau
09-12-2010, 04:10 AM
In a real situation, it's likely that I would say something. I agree with flo though. There's good and bad with everyone and everything.

Chuck
09-12-2010, 04:52 AM
Well judging from only this clip... I think ABC did a good job of being fair and unbiased. I didn't pick up on any creative editing or attempt to discredit a certain group.