PDA

View Full Version : What was your weekly excitement

Tyburn
09-01-2010, 08:42 PM
:laugh: I just got back from Christ Church on the Stray, I went to an Open Rehersal for Harrogate Choral Society, a currently 160 strong Mixed Choir :w00t: It is open for those who cant read music, like me, I really do everything by ear...We practised bits that they will sing in concert this winter including the infamous O Ventura...but also...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usfiAsWR4qU

:laugh:

I cant obviously afford membership or anything...but it made a fantastic night out :ashamed:

lyndsey823
09-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Mine was last and finally seeing Wicked in San Fran for my birthday. Best birthday ever!! Lol

Play The Man
09-02-2010, 07:48 AM
I am confused. Do they charge money to sing in the choir?

Tyburn
09-02-2010, 11:28 AM
I am confused. Do they charge money to sing in the choir?

Yes of course :blink:

If you want to join its 85 for the year, which includes four concerts, two at the Royal Hall, One at Harrogate International Conference Centre...and one somewhere else.

Rehersals are weekly, until close to the time, then its got saturday dress rehersals, which I would find difficult since I work Saturdays. You have to buy your own Uniform, and if you want music to take away (not that I would, since I cant read music) you have to hire it from them.

They make a lot of money, it how they can perform at such large venues. I once went to see them at Ripon Cathedral, singing Karl Jenkins Peace Mass...here is a little video of them in the concert I watched :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkyUwe13zcI (the words of this particular track are from a Japanese survivor of an eye witness account of the Hiroshima Bombing)

Here is the same piece by a professional Choir...and the lyrics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmvw4KH9FJU

Pushing up through smoke
From a world half darkened by
overhanging cloud,
The shroud that mushroomed out
And struck the dome of the sky,
Black, red, blue,
Dance in the air,
Merge, scatter
glittering sparks already tower
over the whole city.
Quivering like seaweed
The mass of flames spurts forward.
Popping up in the dense smoke,
Crawling out wreathed in fire,
Countless human beings on all fours,
In a heap of embers that erupt and subside,
Hair rent,
Rigid in death,
There smoulders a curse.

VCURamFan
09-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Yes of course :blink:

If you want to join its 85 for the year, which includes four concerts, two at the Royal Hall, One at Harrogate International Conference Centre...and one somewhere else.

Rehersals are weekly, until close to the time, then its got saturday dress rehersals, which I would find difficult since I work Saturdays. You have to buy your own Uniform, and if you want music to take away (not that I would, since I cant read music) you have to hire it from them.

They make a lot of money, it how they can perform at such large venues. I once went to see them at Ripon Cathedral, singing Karl Jenkins Peace Mass...here is a little video of them in the concert I watched :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkyUwe13zcI (the words of this particular track are from a Japanese survivor of an eye witness account of the Hiroshima Bombing)

Here is the same piece by a professional Choir...and the lyrics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmvw4KH9FJU

Pushing up through smoke
From a world half darkened by
overhanging cloud,
The shroud that mushroomed out
And struck the dome of the sky,
Black, red, blue,
Dance in the air,
Merge, scatter
glittering sparks already tower
over the whole city.
Quivering like seaweed
The mass of flames spurts forward.
Popping up in the dense smoke,
Crawling out wreathed in fire,
Countless human beings on all fours,
In a heap of embers that erupt and subside,
Hair rent,
Rigid in death,
There smoulders a curse.

O, I get it now: this is just another excuse for Dave to post movie YouTube videos of old music.

Miss Foxy
09-02-2010, 04:25 PM
O, I get it now: this is just another excuse for Dave to post movie YouTube videos of old music.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:

Tyburn
09-02-2010, 04:45 PM

:rolleyes: No, The first clip shows the actual Chior performing...Although I was at that event, thats not one of my videos, the concert happened before I had my camera.

I was just explaining to PTM since he further enquired. Feel free to explain your exciting week to us all :mellow:

Play The Man
09-02-2010, 10:49 PM
So, that will be the only time you sing with them?:unsure::sad:

Tyburn
09-03-2010, 11:24 AM
So, that will be the only time you sing with them?:unsure::sad:

Yes :sad:

But it was a nice evening out :)

Rochambeau
09-10-2010, 05:32 AM
You would be a tenor?

I went to the Dentist earlier in the week. That was exciting.

County Mike
09-10-2010, 11:15 AM
I played golf yesterday and had a very itchy, pinching sensation in my nether region for much of the round. On one of the last holes, I walked into a wooded area to relieve myself and found pine needles in my underwear. Apparently, when I relieved myself at an earlier hole, some needles had fallen into my undershorts without me noticing.

Finding the cause of the discomfort and removing it was very exciting. I also shot a pretty good round so I'm thinking about putting pine needles in my underwear every time I play now.

Tyburn
09-10-2010, 11:34 AM
You would be a tenor?

I went to the Dentist earlier in the week. That was exciting.

I sang with the Tenors, but really im probably an Baritone to be honnest...I have done bass before and can manage most of the notes but with little volume :laugh:

surveyorshawn
09-10-2010, 12:48 PM
I played golf yesterday and had a very itchy, pinching sensation in my nether region for much of the round. On one of the last holes, I walked into a wooded area to relieve myself and found pine needles in my underwear. Apparently, when I relieved myself at an earlier hole, some needles had fallen into my undershorts without me noticing.

Finding the cause of the discomfort and removing it was very exciting. I also shot a pretty good round so I'm thinking about putting pine needles in my underwear every time I play now.

I''ve actually had the pine needle thing happen before, lol

Rochambeau
09-10-2010, 12:56 PM
I sang with the Tenors, but really im probably an Baritone to be honnest...I have done bass before and can manage most of the notes but with little volume :laugh:

Okay. I'm a bass, but can do the other parts. It's quite fun to join in with everybody.

DonnaMaria
09-10-2010, 03:24 PM
My oldest started highschool, my youngest started 5th grade and I met my new students!

And I didn't get thrown up on! yet! :)

That's exciting! :)

County Mike
09-10-2010, 11:15 PM
I''ve actually had the pine needle thing happen before, lol

That's crazy. I didn't think it could possibly happen to anyone else. I guess that makes me feel less stupid. Thanks. :)

surveyorshawn
09-10-2010, 11:30 PM
That's crazy. I didn't think it could possibly happen to anyone else. I guess that makes me feel less stupid. Thanks. :)
Being a surveyor & in the woods a lot, the odds are stacked against me, lol. The worst I've had happen along those lines was one time when I got unknowingly poison ivy on my hand while finding a place in the woods to relieve myself. EVERYTHING I touched got poison ivy...:cry::ashamed: It was very hot, so I sweated & the urishol (poison of the plant) ran down the inside of my thighs too! The whole thing was bad enough that I had to get a shot :cry:

surveyorshawn
09-10-2010, 11:41 PM
My sister, her husband, & their daughter Rachel visited from North Carolina for the week. We had a family gathering for them at my house one night and my oldest daughter, Abigail, put on a mini concert for us afterward of some songs she wrote. I posted links to two videos of her from that gathering in the Video Thread. You guys should check them out & let me know what you think!

surveyorshawn
09-15-2010, 07:50 PM
I must have shut this thread down! Lol

BamaGrits84
09-15-2010, 08:55 PM
My hubby hit a homerun in softball last night, went 7 for 7 between the 2 games, and his team is 2-0. This is a big thing because last year the church team only won 2 games all season I think!