PDA

View Full Version : Obama addressing the nation as we speak

rearnakedchoke
09-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Giving his speech on Iraq withdrawal .... A historic day for both the US and Iraq ... A necessity to final bring closure to this tough time .... Hopefully Iraq can transition well...

Good Job Barack Obama!

NateR
09-01-2010, 12:22 AM
It's too soon to withdraw from Iraq. Fail on Barack Obama's part for caving in to political pressure at the expense of the people of Iraq.

rearnakedchoke
09-01-2010, 12:26 AM
It is perfect timing .... the longer they stay, the more dependent they will be on America .... this is a tough decision and it has been a long, hard road, but BHO is making the best decision at this time

logrus
09-01-2010, 12:29 AM
It is perfect timing .... the longer they stay, the more dependent they will be on America .... this is a tough decision and it has been a long, hard road, but BHO is making the best decision at this time

They already are way to dependent on us. They were actually expecting us to stay into 2020's.

Bonnie
09-01-2010, 12:35 AM
It's too soon to withdraw from Iraq. Fail on Barack Obama's part for caving in to political pressure at the expense of the people of Iraq.

I almost get the sense this is more about him fulfilling a campaign promise than whether or not if this is the right time to withdraw. I'm really concerned for the 50,000 who are staying behind. I don't think it's going to take long for some group to test this unorganized government of Iraq. I'm hoping for the best, but... :unsure:

NateR
09-01-2010, 12:49 AM

That's interesting because we still have troops in Germany and Japan because of WW2, those units have been there for 75 years now. We also keep a strong military presence in South Korea from the Korean War, which started 60 years ago. So, are those nations dependent on us or are they stronger because of us? I believe it is the latter.

BHO is doing nothing but caving in to political pressure and the Iraqi people are going to pay the price. In the end, Iraq will be worse off and Obama will turn what could have potentially been a strong ally in the Middle East into an enemy with yet another reason to hate the US.

It's too soon.

VCURamFan
09-01-2010, 01:06 AM
That's interesting because we still have troops in Germany and Japan because of WW2, those units have been there for 75 years now. We also keep a strong military presence in South Korea from the Korean War, which started 60 years ago. So, are those nations dependent on us or are they stronger because of us? I believe it is the latter.

BHO is doing nothing but caving in to political pressure and the Iraqi people are going to pay the price. In the end, Iraq will be worse off and Obama will turn what could have potentially been a strong ally in the Middle East into an enemy with yet another reason to hate the US.

It's too soon.

I agree 100%. This is a politically motivated decision, not a military one.

Spiritwalker
09-01-2010, 02:24 AM

It's too soon.

Well said.

rearnakedchoke
09-01-2010, 02:42 AM

It's too soon.

Are the troops in germany, japan and korea still on combat missions? there are still going to be troops in iraq, just not on a combat mission ... it is a step in the right direction in getting iraq back on track ...

flo
09-01-2010, 03:21 AM
It is perfect timing ....

Right before the mid-term elections!

logrus
09-01-2010, 05:13 AM

It's too soon.

Nobody ever took a shot at me lol.

Neezar
09-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Whether I like it or not, it is happening. I hope it works out of the best.

NateR
09-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Are the troops in germany, japan and korea still on combat missions? there are still going to be troops in iraq, just not on a combat mission ... it is a step in the right direction in getting iraq back on track ...

I spent a year in South Korea and two years in Germany. South Korea is still considered a war zone, since full scale combat can break out at any time over there and that's how we trained. The soldiers don't get combat pay, but I believe they still get hazardous duty pay (I was there 10 years ago, I don't really remember). Germany was also considered a potential war zone until the 1990s when the Berlin Wall came down and the country re-unified. I don't think Japan has ever been considered a potential war zone since the 1950s.

NateR
09-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Right before the mid-term elections!

Exactly. It's a political ploy that could spell disaster for the 50,000 troops that are still over there.

TexasRN
09-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Exactly. It's a political ploy that could spell disaster for the 50,000 troops that are still over there.

Obama's worried about the polls that show his approval rating continuing to fall and one of the things he is being advised to do about it is to make good on his campaign promises. One of those promises was to end the war. That's all this is in my opinion. Under different circumstances I would be happy about all the troops coming home but I tend to look at the big picture and agree that this decision is a huge mistake.

~Amy

Llamafighter
09-01-2010, 01:17 PM

Especially when there are still major attacks on military, police, and civilians. how is this operation over???
I missed the speech last night because of class, was it just Obama saying that he was pulling the troops out?

Tyburn
09-01-2010, 09:08 PM
In my opinion it is too soon to withdraw these troops. My Worry is now less about civil war, and more about an invasion or hostilities from Iran. I might have been against going into Iraq in the first place...but once in, its a mute point.

Time will tell if this is a faux pas or not. You will notice good signs following the removal of British Forces from Basra intitially so perhaps Obama will get away with it. Next year is when the rest of the forces which are more administrative then anything actually leave...by this time next year we shall know if this was too soon.

Incidently there is no cause to celebrate. These Troops are not going to be resting on their laurels. I imagine that they will all be shipped back out to Afghanistan...a longer, and more difficult situation, made far worse by IOraq. People dont realize that an early focus solely on Afghanistan was completely and utterly ruined by combat begining in Iraq. The US JUST has enough forces to cope with both...but bearly any other Military can keep up. Thats partly the true reason behind the hasty removal of UK from Iraq...we actually cant do BOTH for much longer...its not just size (remember we are only just shy of California in landmass, and there are only so many populas you can fit in to support a Large Scale Military) Its also Cost. The Military of Defence has for a long time been the subject of budgit cuts, and inadequet funding for troops. It was announced this last week that Thorneloe guy, the highest ranking officer to be killed in active duty since the world war...he died because he wasnt wearing what he should have been, and couldnt get out of where he was because there was no helicopters...his remains had to be guarded by three others for two days in a live hostile zone before they could finally send something to go get him.

The Government are going mad about Trident, which is the Nuclear capacity of Britain which will shortly need to either be scrapped (essentially leaving us in a worse place then we suspect Iran is) or redeveloped...who exactly is going to pay for that...the treasury and the Ministry of Defence are bitching and slagging each other off about this as we speak.

Just today came news that after one proposed plan to actually axe an entire wing of the military by combining Navy and Airforce...Now they are thinking that we should share Aircraft Carriers with France...efectively tying together two Navys that have been killing each other for more then 800 years :rolleyes:

I just dont think that will work...We have more chance of the Thirteen American Collonies falling subject to the Crown once more...then either side on a military level wanting to share the same ship :laugh:

Tyburn
09-01-2010, 09:16 PM
I don't think Japan has ever been considered a potential war zone since the 1950s.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/8751/copil.jpg (http://img838.imageshack.us/i/copil.jpg/)

I wonder why :unsure-1:

Miss Foxy
09-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Whatever motive political or military I pray for our troops that are still there, and also the innocent people of Iraq. The militants are on their own in my book!

NateR
09-02-2010, 05:40 AM
Whatever motive political or military I pray for our troops that are still there, and also the innocent people of Iraq. The militants are on their own in my book!

I concur, whether we agree with it or not the decision is made and we just have to hope and pray for the best.

As for the militants, we can just pray that they get their chance to meet GOD face-to-face very, very soon. :wink:

VCURamFan
09-02-2010, 03:51 PM
I concur, whether we agree with it or not the decision is made and we just have to hope and pray for the best.

As for the militants, we can just pray that they get their chance to meet GOD face-to-face very, very soon. :wink:

I always this mental image of Peter at the gates shouting over his shoulder "Hey Paul, we got another numb-nuts looking for his virgins!!!!" :happy0198: :happy0198: :happy0198: :happy0198:

CAVEMAN
09-02-2010, 04:01 PM
I always this mental image of Peter at the gates shouting over his shoulder "Hey Paul, we got another numb-nuts looking for his virgins!!!!" :happy0198: :happy0198: :happy0198: :happy0198:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tyburn
09-02-2010, 05:05 PM

:huh: Funny how you should have a Roman Catholic Image :blink:

After all, You do realize Jerusalem doesnt have "Pearly Gates" thats embellishment of a Middle Ages nature, to back up the fact Saint Peter had the "keys" so to speak. All important when you consider that all the Popes believe that simply because they are in the same office as Peter, that, they too have these "Keys"

The Power...whilst Alive to unleash, or bind things on both the Temporal and Spiritual Level. It is also of course a metaphore of a gift. There are really no physical "keys" and if their ever were for Jerusalem as a city state, Saint Peter never touched them, no doubt they would be despatched from the Monarch to the Armed Forces in the event the City needed to be Quarenteened or Fortified, and after that, presumably either in the hands of the Roman Governor of that Area, or maybe even back with the Emporar in either Rome or Constantinople...and then of course with the Government for the time of the Crusades...presumably since then the city has expanded and the city Gates are probably not even in existance anymore. I dont know, for I have never visited the Holy Land

Now I do suspect that Gates probably are one of the first things to Greet you after you die, but thats because I believe Judgement takes place in Chronology and right here in the temporal Realm, and in Jerusalem, within the Millenial Temple, which hasnt yet been constructed. No doubt that Residence of Christ for 1000 Years will have some pretty impressive doors...but the major scheamatics are known in the Oracle of The Prophet Ezekiel...and there are no mention of Pearls

In the Latin Literny of the dead, we have the following prayer which even suggests the more likely scenario that the beings to greet you, or bring you into Paradise, or The New Jerusalem (which is NOT the place you go for Judgement, but exists in the Heavenly Realm, where the Millenial Temple has always stood, and where GOD the Father Resides) are the Angelic Host. Its known as "In Paridesum"

Latin Text

In paradisum deducant te angeli,
in tuo adventu
suscipiant te martyres,
et perducant te
in civitatem sanctam Jerusalem.
Chorus angelorum te suscipiat,
et cum Lazaro quondam paupere
aeternam habeas requiem.

Lyrics

May the angels lead you into paradise,
May the martyrs receive you
In your coming,
And may they guide you
Into the holy city, Jerusalem.
May the chorus of angels receive you
And with Lazarus once poor
May you have eternal rest.

One particular Famous Version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82L8AaqA-Dc

NateR
09-02-2010, 05:21 PM
:huh: Funny how you should have a Roman Catholic Image :blink:

After all, You do realize Jerusalem doesnt have "Pearly Gates" thats embellishment of a Middle Ages nature, to back up the fact Saint Peter had the "keys" so to speak. All important when you consider that all the Popes believe that simply because they are in the same office as Peter, that, they too have these "Keys"

The Power...whilst Alive to unleash, or bind things on both the Temporal and Spiritual Level. It is also of course a metaphore of a gift. There are really no physical "keys" and if their ever were for Jerusalem as a city state, Saint Peter never touched them, no doubt they would be despatched from the Monarch to the Armed Forces in the event the City needed to be Quarenteened or Fortified, and after that, presumably either in the hands of the Roman Governor of that Area, or maybe even back with the Emporar in either Rome or Constantinople...and then of course with the Government for the time of the Crusades...presumably since then the city has expanded and the city Gates are probably not even in existance anymore. I dont know, for I have never visited the Holy Land

Now I do suspect that Gates probably are one of the first things to Greet you after you die, but thats because I believe Judgement takes place in Chronology and right here in the temporal Realm, and in Jerusalem, within the Millenial Temple, which hasnt yet been constructed. No doubt that Residence of Christ for 1000 Years will have some pretty impressive doors...but the major scheamatics are known in the Oracle of The Prophet Ezekiel...and there are no mention of Pearls

In the Latin Literny of the dead, we have the following prayer which even suggests the more likely scenario that the beings to greet you, or bring you into Paradise, or The New Jerusalem (which is NOT the place you go for Judgement, but exists in the Heavenly Realm, where the Millenial Temple has always stood, and where GOD the Father Resides) are the Angelic Host. Its known as "In Paridesum"

Latin Text

In paradisum deducant te angeli,
in tuo adventu
suscipiant te martyres,
et perducant te
in civitatem sanctam Jerusalem.
Chorus angelorum te suscipiat,
et cum Lazaro quondam paupere
aeternam habeas requiem.

Lyrics

May the angels lead you into paradise,
May the martyrs receive you
In your coming,
And may they guide you
Into the holy city, Jerusalem.
May the chorus of angels receive you
And with Lazarus once poor
May you have eternal rest.

One particular Famous Version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82L8AaqA-Dc

True, the image of "Saint Peter at the Pearly Gates" is ridiculous and has no Biblical precedent; but it's still a funny comment. :laugh:

Tyburn
09-02-2010, 05:37 PM
True, the image of "Saint Peter at the Pearly Gates" is ridiculous and has no Biblical precedent; but it's still a funny comment. :laugh:

Do you know what else is funny :huh:

Who is it that the Popes of Rome after the first three hundred years began talking to?

I'm sorry...which Apostle was charged with speaking to the Gentiles? coz it WASNT Saint Peter! The Pope now has more of the Pauline Nature...has done ever since the Romans took over the Reigns from the Early Church. In the Early Church, Christianity was seen as a Denomination of Judaism, the Messianic Jews set up a Bishoprick to Talk to the Local Jews and try and share the Gospel with them (the Gospel being the Revelation that separates the two faiths, and allows adoption over Familial blood ties of course.) Saint Peter and his successors at least for the first Three Hundred Years were really conversing with the Jews of the Middle East and North Africa. Other Apostles went to the Jews in Eastern Europe and Asia.

Saint Paul was whats commonly known as a "flying" Bishop. there are VERY few of them. Which means he didnt have an opporational centre, He was a Missionary, so he had a circuit of churches that he went round, and was commissioned to the Non Jewish Converts.

The Pope doesnt speak to the Jews, and he doesnt speak to the Jewish Converts! So what part of Saint Peter is he supposed to be Demonstrating except for his Geographical Location, and Canonical Position.

EVEN IF...you truely believed in Apostolic Succession...you have to say...what role does the Pope Play...you'll see its Pauline, not Petran! I wonder if anyone has EVER pointed that out...ironically the other Apostolic Successions are still very much along the same lines as the original Apostles...they are still looking after the hereditry of converted Jews...and they basically only speak to their own...

But is this suprising? I mean how many Petran works are in Scriptures compared to Pauline...and the current mission of the church is basically what? to evangelise Heathen...not to evangelise Jews...its like at some point after Roman occupation of the Church, we all bassically gave up on the jews...so much so, half the Christians dont understand the relevence of the Old Testament and couldnt care less about Israel.

Funny it may be...but funnier still that we can all, even non christians, visualize Saint Peter at the Pearly Gates...even though thats a load of bollox. This is not Saint Peters Mission anymore...it hasnt been since the Cannon was closed...its well and Truely Pauline....and the Pope if he bears any relation to any Apostle...well, thats your answer...its undeniable by his audience...He speaks to Christians and Heathen. Peter did nothing of the sort

County Mike
09-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Of course we're pulling out of Iraq. Too many of his muslim brethren were getting killed.

I really think we should pull EVERYONE out or NONE AT ALL. The ones who have to stay are now left without the protection they need. Another anti-American decision by Obama.

Bonnie
09-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Of course we're pulling out of Iraq. Too many of his muslim brethren were getting killed.

I really think we should pull EVERYONE out or NONE AT ALL. The ones who have to stay are now left without the protection they need. Another anti-American decision by Obama.

I'm not sure if we'll ever be totally "out". I now believe that after 9/11, Bush Jr. saw Iraq as an opportunity of getting our "toe" in that region of the world. It represented the path of least resistance at the time so he probably figured he'd kill two birds with one stone: 1) get rid of his father's nemesis, and 2) get our boots on the ground over there, which just happens to be right next door to Iran.

I wonder if Saddam Hussein ever thought as he was sitting in that hole in the ground, "If only I hadn't played cat-n-mouse about having WMDs, I might be sleeping in a comfortable bed in one of my palaces right now." If not for his actions and timing, I don't think we would be in Iraq. JMTCs