PDA

View Full Version : I Have Hens!!!

Tyburn
08-28-2010, 04:08 PM
:w00t:

I have my hens in a little box!! I must now go into cage swap mode!!

I'm gonna be a GrandFather soon I hope!!!! Pettis and Levon are already calling to the Hens, and the Hens are replying.

Photos and Videos...Soon :laugh:

Tyburn
08-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Okay here is the first Hen, she is in the cage with Levon, I have called her Bev after one of my friends at work, I cant really call her after a fighter, since she is female :laugh:

She is pictured here in her next box :)

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/5214/file0020.jpg (http://img507.imageshack.us/i/file0020.jpg/)

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9231/file0021.jpg (http://img842.imageshack.us/i/file0021.jpg/)

Tyburn
08-28-2010, 06:00 PM
...and this is the second Hen, she is paired up with Pettis, and they are in the brand new cage. I have called Her Bonnie...after our very own Forum Patron from Texas :ashamed:

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/7305/file0030.jpg (http://img844.imageshack.us/i/file0030.jpg/)

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6537/file0024.jpg (http://img801.imageshack.us/i/file0024.jpg/)

Video to follow shortly :laugh:

Bonnie
08-29-2010, 03:20 AM
They are very nice, Dave. I think my namesake is awesome. :laugh:

Pettis better treat her right and court her proper.....

if he expects her to lift her tail feathers. :laugh:

Tyburn
08-29-2010, 11:11 AM
:laugh: Bonnie :laugh:

Here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRGndEk17ek

Tyburn
08-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Bonnie is nest building. Actually, traditionally speaking its the role of the male to find bits of...shyte and stuff lying in the cage, and bring it back to the next box and try and line and weave it into the box...well...Bonnie wont let Pettis into the cage, she's making him go fetch the hey, and bring it to the mouth of the nest box...but SHE then takes it from him, and tries to weave it into the box...its very funny to watch...they've swapped roles now, and she is evidently more competant then him...she's bought up half a hey stack in one go :laugh:

Yes...I have a video...shortly...blessssssssss:laugh:

Llamafighter
08-30-2010, 02:39 PM
wow those zebra finches are quick. so do you let them out of the cages on occassion?

Tyburn
08-30-2010, 02:51 PM
wow those zebra finches are quick. so do you let them out of the cages on occassion?

Yes, the finches I try to let out once a week. Now obviously I might do once every two weeks now as I cant let them all out at once...I dont want them mixing with the birds in the other cages incase it disrupts relationships and bonding within the cage. So it will probably be once every two weeks.

However...I wont let them out when they lay eggs until the eggs hatch...she needs to sit on them solidly for fourteen days to ensure they hatch...and then I shall play it by ear after the chicks are born. I'll judge it by the mood of the parents.

The Budgies I try to let out everyday...but never at the same time as finches...budgies and finches do not mix...I found that even when I let the budgies out alone...when they land atop the finch cage there can be real trouble because the finches will try to bite them through the bars of the cage...yet the budgies are FAR bigger...Jens was not ammused...he bent down real close to the finches and it was like a scene from aliens...you know where the alien opens its mouth and then a tiny little head thing like a tongue comes hurtling out? well it was just like that. Slowly Jens opened his beak and then stuck and waggled his tongue out at them. I have NEVER seen Pettis move so fast :laugh:

Bonnie
08-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Bonnie is nest building. Actually, traditionally speaking its the role of the male to find bits of...shyte and stuff lying in the cage, and bring it back to the next box and try and line and weave it into the box...well...Bonnie wont let Pettis into the cage, she's making him go fetch the hey, and bring it to the mouth of the nest box...but SHE then takes it from him, and tries to weave it into the box...its very funny to watch...they've swapped roles now, and she is evidently more competant then him...she's bought up half a hey stack in one go :laugh:

Yes...I have a video...shortly...blessssssssss:laugh:

She obviously doesn't trust him; I wonder why! :rolleyes: Could it be because he's already two-timing her with that slut, Bev, in the next cage! Homewrecker! :angry:

:laugh:

Seriously, Dave, Pettis sounds like a hen-pecked (pun intended :laugh:) wuss! Bonnie needs a manly man finch! :weightlifter: Well, at least he's good for something....fetching! :laugh:

Tyburn
08-30-2010, 03:10 PM
She obviously doesn't trust him; I wonder why! :rolleyes: Could it be because he's already two-timing her with that slut, Bev, in the next cage! Homewrecker! :angry:

Seriously, Dave, Pettis sounds like a hen-pecked (pun intended :laugh:) wuss! Bonnie needs a manly man finch! :weightlifter: Well, at least he's good for something....fetching! :laugh:

Well, I put the budgies between them now...and have further concerns...I might have missread the signs...I am worried...so worried I emailed the petstore with photographs...I think Bev might be male...I think they might have sold me the wrong bird by mistake :unsure-1:

Pettis played second fiddle to Levon, when they were together, he was the noisey vocal bird, but he was submissive to Levon quite a bit. Levon has grown more and more hostile actually. Bonnie is obviously a reasonably strong and unshakeable Female, so she has obviously become the dominant of the pair.

Levon is stuck with Bev...and the two litterally fight. I reckon we have two alpha males in the same cage, they wont share the nest box, they wont share the perch. They dont like each other...and its not obvious who will become the dominant one because although Levon seems to start the shyte...Bev wont back down without a reasonable fight. IF they are a pair...it could take a while before they decide to mate...and that could be...very interesting to watch...but I fear we have two males, which presents several very haunting problems...its bank holiday in England today so nothing can be further sorted on Bevs gender issue until Tuesday :blink:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
08-30-2010, 03:14 PM
We got kitten's! Anybody want one? Or two? Or three?

philips4
08-30-2010, 03:19 PM
...and this is the second Hen, she is paired up with Pettis, and they are in the brand new cage. I have called Her Bonnie...after our very own Forum Patron from Texas :ashamed:

h:

Awww, Bonnie you have a namesake!! That is actually really kinda cute in a very Tyburn sorta way! Love it!:happydancing:

Bonnie
08-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Well, I put the budgies between them now...and have further concerns...I might have missread the signs...I am worried...so worried I emailed the petstore with photographs...I think Bev might be male...I think they might have sold me the wrong bird by mistake :unsure-1:

Pettis played second fiddle to Levon, when they were together, he was the noisey vocal bird, but he was submissive to Levon quite a bit. Levon has grown more and more hostile actually. Bonnie is obviously a reasonably strong and unshakeable Female, so she has obviously become the dominant of the pair.

Levon is stuck with Bev...and the two litterally fight. I reckon we have two alpha males in the same cage, they wont share the nest box, they wont share the perch. They dont like each other...and its not obvious who will become the dominant one because although Levon seems to start the shyte...Bev wont back down without a reasonable fight. IF they are a pair...it could take a while before they decide to mate...and that could be...very interesting to watch...but I fear we have two males, which presents several very haunting problems...its bank holiday in England today so nothing can be further sorted on Bevs gender issue until Tuesday :blink:

:blink:

And you said Bev and Pettis were making goo-goo eyes at each other! :scared0011: Bonnie may sense her "mate" has issues. :laugh: I wonder how Levon and Bonnie would do together? :unsure-1:

The gene pool isn't looking too good right now for Bonnie's kids. :cry:

Bonnie
08-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Awww, Bonnie you have a namesake!! That is actually really kinda cute in a very Tyburn sorta way! Love it!:happydancing:

I've never had a pet named after me. :laugh: I'm beginning to think Bonnie is the only normal one of the bunch. :laugh:

Tyburn
08-30-2010, 05:34 PM

:laugh: My Sister Tiffany, her Boyfriends Father had a litter of kittens to get rid of...he gave one to them. its 9 weeks old, and yesterday it escaped :unsure-1:

They spent five hours looking for it, with fliers on every lamp post and through every letterbox. Of course when I heard the news I went to help.

The kitten appeared to go out, get scared and come back in...it was five hours before, after searching the graveyard behind their house for the third time...Tiffany out of sheer desperation checked the house again...and found lil Clint :ashamed:

Tyburn
08-30-2010, 05:38 PM
:blink:

And you said Bev and Pettis were making goo-goo eyes at each other! :scared0011: Bonnie may sense her "mate" has issues. :laugh: I wonder how Levon and Bonnie would do together? :unsure-1:

there were goo-goo eyes...but there is another way to read it.

It looks like Bonnie might be much sought after, and what I really saw was Pettis trying to defend her from Bev.

The thing that made me re-evaluate was when I let just Bev out today to take photos in the light for the pet shop. She settled down on the other finch cage and immediately Pettis was pushing Bonnie out of the way...and then snapping through the bars in Bevs direction.

That could be that Bev is a male who wants Bonnie and Pettis is guarding her...Without knowing what gender Bev actually is...it could be read both ways :unsure-1:

Tyburn
08-30-2010, 05:40 PM
:

but their nest is looking lovely :ashamed:

Blade
08-30-2010, 08:51 PM
I find this thread disturbing on a number of levels :scared0015:

flo
08-30-2010, 10:53 PM
They are very nice, Dave. I think my namesake is awesome. :laugh:

Pettis better treat her right and court her proper.....

if he expects her to lift her tail feathers. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Those are lovely birds, Dave!

flo
08-30-2010, 10:55 PM
I find this thread disturbing on a number of levels :scared0015:

Oh, relax, Darth. :wink:

philips, is that you flying through the air?

Tyburn
08-30-2010, 11:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Nocb9AlR4

They are snuggled together in their nest...its the cutest thing ever!!

During the day today they have been working hard lining it, and they would relax sitting next to each other on the perch, and im not joking, Pettis would lie his beak and head on Bonnie and leane against her :ashamed: Then when it got dark, they retired to the nest, and they've laid side by side ever since...they are fast asleep...Bonnie, doesnt even bother opening her eyes when my chair creaks back to check on them...but Pettis is all eyes when he hears anything else. :laugh:

Bonnie
08-31-2010, 03:04 AM
Dave, do you think it might be easier for them if the straw was in smaller pieces? :unsure-1: It looks like it's a tight fit when both of them are in there together though. :unsure:

If Bev turns out to be male will the pet shop exchange for a female?

Tyburn
08-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Dave, do you think it might be easier for them if the straw was in smaller pieces? :unsure-1: It looks like it's a tight fit when both of them are in there together though. :unsure:

If Bev turns out to be male will the pet shop exchange for a female?

No. They have to learn to make nests...they do exist in the wild, so I dont want to help them...They must learn to make it themselves...Just like I will have to avoid the temptation of helping the chick when it tries to get out of the egg.

As for the pet shop...I do hope so...and yet they havent got back to me,...and the longer she is with me, the more attached to her I'll get...then I wont wanna give her back :unsure-1:

cubsfan47
08-31-2010, 12:06 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tyburn
08-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Disastor :sad: alas alack, I sent the photos back to the store of Bev...and they have confirmed my suspicions.

Bev is a Male...there are two or three types of Zebra Finch where it can be really hard to tell. One is the Silver, and one the Chestnut Flank...my guess is two of those have mated to create this rather rare phenotype.

Male Birds can be recognised by Red Beak, Eye patches, Speckled flanks and singing. Female birds have redish/orange beaks, no eye patches and not flanks. This is usually easy to tell because they look startlingly different, but in a silver, the both genders are basically white, and the markings can be so faint they dont even show up.

Notice the speckles under her right wing...they are faint...but they are flanks alright :sad:

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/3091/file0064.jpg (http://img837.imageshack.us/i/file0064.jpg/)

...and you can see the tinge, same chestnut colour on her face...thats so faded that it cant be seen unless you are right up close...but thats an eye patch? No? I thought I was imagining it...thats how faint these markings are.

Then last night...she sang. Okay, so some mutations might create odd genetics allowing a female, male characteristics...but the whole point of a song in a Zebra finch is to attract a mate...Females are monotone...they cant sing!

Blade
08-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Oh, relax, Darth. :wink:

philips, is that you flying through the air?

Why am I Darth? lol And after this latest update from Dave I stick by my original statement, lol.

Bonnie
08-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Disastor :sad: alas alack, I sent the photos back to the store of Bev...and they have confirmed my suspicions: Bev is a Male.

Females are monotone...they cant sing!

:rotfl:

Dave, you don't know how aptly named Bonnie is. :laugh: In college, my speech professor stopped me in the middle of my speech to point out to the class how I had a "monotone" voice. :cry: I guess he just couldn't pass up the opportunity I presented to him. :rolleyes:

Well, at least you know for sure now, Bev is a male, and why "her" and Levon weren't clicking. :laugh: Did the pet shop say they would exchange him for a her? Levon needs his own lady bird before he starts looking at Bonnie and Pettis and starts thinking "menage a trois". :laugh:

Bonnie
08-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Why am I Darth? lol And after this latest update from Dave I stick by my original statement, lol.

Okay, one visit to check out this thread you get a pass, but you returned, in spite of what you said in your original post, so your actions are speaking louder.... :laugh:

You just couldn't resist! :tongue0011:

Dave has that effect on people....just ask JB. :laugh:

Tyburn
09-01-2010, 08:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4NUyd21TgI

Bonnie is a bad influence on Pettis...He was well mannered, just lightly showering himself with water....but Bonnie is not content, she goes in and splashes water everywhere including, as I think was one of the aims, throwing it all over her partner...this encourages him to go into the water aswell.

This is supposed to be the feeder...its not supposed to be a bath! "Bonnnnnniiiiiiie!!!!" :laugh:

Bonnie
09-01-2010, 09:07 PM
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

He finally jumped in! :laugh: I'm surprised she didn't get your lens, Dave. :laugh:

You know what they say, Dave, couples that play together, stay together. :laugh:

flo
09-01-2010, 09:21 PM
In college, my speech professor stopped me in the middle of my speech to point out to the class how I had a "monotone" voice.

Wow, what a jerk! I guess his mother never taught him any manners, Bonnie.

It IS kind of ironic, though, seeing that the females of your namesake's species don't sing :-)

Tyburn
09-01-2010, 09:22 PM
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

He finally jumped in! :laugh: I'm surprised she didn't get your lens, Dave. :laugh:

You know what they say, Dave, couples that play together, stay together. :laugh:

:laugh: she's done that every day withou fail...I change the water at lunch and the first thing she does is jump right in...both feet, and when she gets out the water tray is like almost empty :rolleyes:

I thought she was going to get my camera also...but I didnt want to move...because that would have startled her...my curtains are getting a daily soaking though I can tell you.

As for Pettis...he's more reserved...he kept looking at me, probably thought I'd do something. Bonnie saw if she could get away with it by jumping in, splashing then dashing out...and as I did nothing...thats when she went back...and I reckon their was encouragement...I do think she was trying to coax him to actually get into the feeder dish...after all...he got soaking standing on the sidelines...The change in music towards the end makes me giggle everytime too :laugh:

Bonnie
09-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Wow, what a jerk! I guess his mother never taught him any manners, Bonnie.

It IS kind of ironic, though, seeing that the females of your namesake's species don't sing :-)

Well, I understood him trying to teach us something regarding speech, I just hated that I was the example. :laugh:

He did say he wasn't trying to embarrass me, but it wasn't much comfort at the time. :wink: Ever since then, when I speak or attempt to sing, I'm reminded of my "monotone" voice. :cry:

But, hey, if I have to live with so does everybody else. :laugh:

Tyburn
09-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Well, I understood him trying to teach us something regarding speech, I just hated that I was the example. :laugh:

He did say he wasn't trying to embarrass me, but it wasn't much comfort at the time. :wink: Ever since then, when I speak or attempt to sing, I'm reminded of my "monotone" voice. :cry:

But, hey, if I have to live with so does everybody else. :laugh:

You dont have a monotone voice :blink:

I spoke to you on the phone for ages...and I tell you now...you dont have a monotone voice :frantics:

...I have to admit...I've never yet heard you sing though :mellow:

Bonnie
09-01-2010, 09:58 PM
You dont have a monotone voice :blink:

I spoke to you on the phone for ages...and I tell you now...you dont have a monotone voice :frantics:

...I have to admit...I've never yet heard you sing though :mellow:

We better not push it! :laugh:

Thank you for those kind words. :)

Tyburn
09-01-2010, 10:01 PM
We better not push it! :laugh:

Thank you for those kind words. :)

:laugh: Trust me. I have spoken to people on the phone who truely are so monotone they are almost robotic :laugh:

:ninja: We'll save the serande for another day :ninja:

Tyburn
09-06-2010, 12:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuXxwo-NzW4

my tribute video to Bev :sad:

Tyburn
09-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Did you know Bengalese Finches (which are commonly called Society Finch) do not exist in the wild. Period. Best still...they NEVER HAVE DONE. They are a completely new type of bird created over a period of over two hundred years by Oriental professional bird breeders.

Did you know they are quite cheap as birds go only eight pounds a pop....and they mix with Zebra Finches...and someone STOP ME from going out and buying one...or two...or :laugh: