PDA

View Full Version : 1 in 4 Men Travel With Stuffed Animal

Play The Man
08-26-2010, 09:47 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/grown-men-travel-stuffed-animals-teddy-bears-dogs/story?id=11463664

Bedtime Story: 1-in-4 Grown Men Travel With a Stuffed Animal
Teddy Bears, Stuffed Dogs and Other Animals Are Packed in Businessmen's Suitcases

By SCOTT MAYEROWITZ
Aug. 24, 2010

When Scott Hardy hits the road, he always makes sure to leave room in his suitcase for his stuffed animal.

That's right, the 34-year-old businessman always travels with Barkley, a stuffed beagle. No, it's not for his two daughters. No he doesn't sleep with a nightlight and no he isn't smuggling drugs.

Seven years ago Hardy's then girlfriend, now wife, gave him the doggie as a reminder of her.

"I travel enough that it's a nice reminder of home," said Hardy who runs an online legal notice company, Top Class Actions.

Housekeepers like to put it on top of his pillow or prop it up prominently on the night stand.

Even when Hardy travels on an annual guys trip -- a beach trip to Mexico this year -- Barkley comes along.

"I've had some friends who are like, 'What's with the stuffed animal?'" the Phoenix-area man said. "It's just a reminder of my beautiful bride."

"Barkley stays in the suitcase when I'm home," Hardy added. "He only comes out for trips."

Hardy isn't the only adult traveling with a stuffed animal. In fact, as many as one in every four grown men might just have a teddy bear tucked away in their suitcase.

How do we know this?

Well, in the last 12 months, British hotel chain Travelodge has reunited more than 75,000 bears with the owners. That's a lot of stuffed animals left at its 452 hotels in the United Kingdom and Spain. So the company decided to investigate a bit further.

Travelodge surveyed 6,000 Britons and discovered that 35 percent of adults admitted they sleep with their teddy because they found cuddling their bear comforting. Additionally, many said the calming feeling of a bear hug helped them lower their stress level after a hard day.

And it turns out that a large number of the bear-toting travelers are men.

Travelodge said that 25 percent of men reported they take their teddy bear away with them when going away on business. The stuffed animal supposedly reminds them of home and -- some say -- helps fill a cuddle-void left by distant partners.

One in ten single men surveyed admitted they hide their teddy bear when their girlfriend stays over and 14 percent of married men reported they hide their teddy bear in the wardrobe or under the bed when any family and friends come to visit.

Fear not, it's isn't just men who travel with stuffed animals.

Laurie Luck has a stuffed dog that she sleeps with every night -- at home or on the road.

"Puppy goes everywhere I go. He's kind of my security blanket," Luck said. "He's been everywhere. I sleep with him every night. I know that sounds terrible for a 42–year-old woman to say, but it's true."

Puppy has been camping, on a cruise. He's gone everywhere that Luck has been in the last 26 years.

Yes, that's right, Puppy isn't a holdover from childhood, but a more-recent acquisition.

"I was never allowed to have a stuffed animal or a blankie as a kid because my mom didn't want me to leave it and then not be able to sleep without it," said Luck, an animal trainer. "So 26 years ago, a friend gave me this. It sort of resonated with me. It was the stuffed animal I was never able to have as a kid."

She has never lost the stuffed animal when traveling but said to do so would be "disastrous."

"Puppy is more of a priority than my cell phone or purse," she said, adding, "I know I probably sound like an overgrown child."

Today, Luck said her friends and family accept her bunkmate when they learn about Puppy's existence.

"I made sure my husband was okay with it before we got married," she said. "I had to sort of break the news: I sleep with a stuffed animal. This is what I do and I hope there won't be a problem."

:blink:
I thought I understood masculinity. First, it was men shaving their armpits . . . now stuffed animals? :unsure-1:

Miss Foxy
08-26-2010, 09:49 PM
That's just weird!!! What a bunch of sissy lala's ...:laugh:

rockdawg21
08-26-2010, 10:23 PM
They must have only interviewed men from San Francisco.

MattHughesRocks
08-26-2010, 11:02 PM
I refuse to believe.

Neezar
08-27-2010, 11:15 AM
I refuse to believe.

:laugh: Me, too!

Neezar
08-27-2010, 11:17 AM
They must have only interviewed men from San Francisco.

:laugh: No. They were British. :laugh:

Well, in the last 12 months, British hotel chain Travelodge has reunited more than 75,000 bears with the owners. That's a lot of stuffed animals left at its 452 hotels in the United Kingdom and Spain. So the company decided to investigate a bit further.

Travelodge surveyed 6,000 Britons and discovered that 35 percent of adults admitted they sleep with their teddy because they found cuddling their bear comforting. Additionally, many said the calming feeling of a bear hug helped them lower their stress level after a hard day.

County Mike
08-27-2010, 11:30 AM
GAY!

rearnakedchoke
08-27-2010, 01:03 PM
I refuse to believe.

exactly ... there is no way that is true ...

Twinsmama
08-27-2010, 01:40 PM
I do not believe this. Whoever was asked this question must have been just trying to be funny. When my husband goes aways I always put a few pictures of the kids under his first or second change of clothes so he will see them a day or two into the trip. I write something on it like "We love you daddy" or "we miss you already".

rockdawg21
08-27-2010, 02:28 PM
:laugh: No. They were British. :laugh:
What's the difference?

NateR
08-27-2010, 03:03 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/grown-men-travel-stuffed-animals-teddy-bears-dogs/story?id=11463664

:blink:
I thought I understood masculinity. First, it was men shaving their armpits . . . now stuffed animals? :unsure-1:

I'm a 37-year-old Star Wars collector and even I think this is extremely bizarre. :blink:

rearnakedchoke
08-27-2010, 03:05 PM
What's the difference?

the guys from san fran have way better teeth ... and nails and hair ... LOL

Twinsmama
08-27-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm a 37-year-old Star Wars collector and even I think this is extremely bizarre. :blink:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

BamaGrits84
08-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Pansies! If it was their kid's and the child wanted them to care it or offered it, then yeah take it in the suitcase. But sleeping with it. :huh: This leads me to believe 1 n 4 men are gay or freaks is true. So lets see which one of these 25% of you forum guys fall under... :tongue0011:

Vizion
08-27-2010, 05:24 PM
I refuse to believe. This.

And I travel for business all the time, and have shared rooms with other men from my company, this is the lamest thing I have ever heard.

More liberal propaganda designed to curtail the role of men in society. :rolleyes:

County Mike
08-27-2010, 05:46 PM
So what I know about the British.

The men are sissies who sleep and travel with stuffed animals.

The women like hairy men.

Thank God I'm an American.

Miss Foxy
08-27-2010, 05:49 PM
I like British men!! I had a co-worker who was a doll and he was so polite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rockdawg21
08-27-2010, 09:18 PM
I like British men!! I had a co-worker who was a doll and he was so polite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was his name Ken? Doesn't sound like much of a man to me.

Miss Foxy
08-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Was his name Ken? Doesn't sound like much of a man to me.

No his name was David!! And he could pound beer like no other man I have ever seen!! lol... Fa' real (kimbo slice voice)....:laugh: Oh I re-read your post .. I get it Ken doll!! lol... Duh!!

Buc Nasty
08-30-2010, 06:24 AM
I bet it was proper beer too, not sissy Budweiser or Coors like you fags drink.

:tongue0011:

surveyorshawn
08-30-2010, 01:46 PM
When I travel, the only thing I take to snuggle with is pictured with me in my avatar! :wink: