PDA

View Full Version : NY Cabbie stabbed after being asked if he was Muslim

rockdawg21
08-25-2010, 07:25 PM
This is pretty f'ed up. Guess all cabs should be equipped with plexiglass or something to shield the drivers from dumbasses like this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_cabbie_stabbed;_ylt=AjSOfljY.6OZfwruGSMTgk6s0NU E;_ylu=X3oDMTNsbGprZ3MyBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwODI1L3V zX2NhYmJpZV9zdGFiYmVkBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb 3MDNQRwb3MDMgRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5 lX2xpc3QEc2xrA3BvbGljZW55Y2FiYg--
Police: NY cabbie is asked if he's Muslim, stabbed

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/nws/p/ap_logo_106.png

By TOM HAYS, Associated Press Writer Tom Hays, Associated Press Writer 1 hr 11 mins ago

NEW YORK A drunken passenger riding in a New York City taxi cab attacked the driver after asking him if he was Muslim, police said Wednesday.

The driver told police that when he answered yes, Michael Enright pulled out a folding hand tool, reached into the front seat and slashed him.

Enright was arrested Tuesday night on charges including attempted murder as a hate crime, said Deputy Inspector Kim Royster, a New York Police Department spokeswoman.

The driver was treated for cuts to the throat, upper lip, forearm and thumb, Royster said.

The 21-year-old Enright, of suburban Brewster, N.Y., was expected to appear Wednesday in court in Manhattan. The name of his lawyer was not immediately available.

The New York Taxi Workers Alliance identified the victim as Ahmed H. Sharif, a yellow cab driver for 15 years. In a news release, the labor group noted that the incident occurred amid tension over plans for a new Islamic cultural center and mosque in Lower Manhattan near ground zero.

"I feel very sad," the release quoted Sharif as saying. In the current climate, he added, "All drivers should be more careful."

Police said the mosque wasn't mentioned during the incident that began at about 6 p.m. Tuesday when Enright hailed the cab at East 24th Street and Second Avenue.

Enright was carrying a tool called a Leatherman and, after the exchange about the driver being Muslim, turned it on him, police said. The driver fended him off, then tried to lock him inside the cab and drive to a police station, they said.

The suspect jumped out a rear window at East 40th Street and Third Avenue, police said. An officer there noticed the commotion, found Enright slumped on the sidewalk and arrested him.

A case for the tool was found inside the cab, but the tool itself was missing, police said.

Miss Foxy
08-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Sad.

rearnakedchoke
08-25-2010, 07:38 PM
whether its things like this or the stuff from the 'beat whitey thread', there are always going to be idiots that make humans look bad ... not saying we should just get used to it, but ... well, i don't have a solution ... LOL ...

flo
08-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Yes, like rnc said, there are racist idiots on both sides. :angry:

I think all cabs should have a divider; taxidrivers seem just as (or more) vulnerable to attacks/assaults as convenience store clerks.

The name of his lawyer wasn't immediately available.

How much you want to bet it's Joe Capbut*?

*Court-appointed-paid-by-us-taxpayers

Llamafighter
08-25-2010, 09:44 PM
in some cases the smell can help keep the odor from wafting into the back. Not kidding:mellow:

This story is ridiculous. this guy should be put in a mental institution.

Bonnie
08-25-2010, 10:14 PM
in some cases the smell can help keep the odor from wafting into the back. Not kidding:mellow:

This story is ridiculous. this guy should be put in a mental institution.

:huh:

Whatcha talk'n about, Mark? Smell? :unsure-1:

It said he was drunk; whether or not he's mental, don't know, but he's definitely an idiot who's going to prison. They definitely should have some sort of protective barrier between the driver and his rides, but I don't agree with them being able to lock you in the back. Didn't someone recently post a story about a taxi driver (either NY or Florida) who locked a woman in the back unless she paid him what he "said" she owed. I think he was charged in that incident. I'm glad the taxi driver wasn't hurt worse or killed by that nimb-nuts.

Llamafighter
08-25-2010, 10:32 PM
:huh:

Whatcha talk'n about, Mark? Smell? :unsure-1:

It said he was drunk; whether or not he's mental, don't know, but he's definitely an idiot who's going to prison. They definitely should have some sort of protective barrier between the driver and his rides, but I don't agree with them being able to lock you in the back. Didn't someone recently post a story about a taxi driver (either NY or Florida) who locked a woman in the back unless she paid him what he "said" she owed. I think he was charged in that incident. I'm glad the taxi driver wasn't hurt worse or killed by that nimb-nuts.

yeah, I've found that more often than not a cab ride has involved a smell or two. not always but I've taken a lot of cabs in NY. and honestly different diets can produce different scents.
I've heard stories of taxi drivers being very forward towards women riding alone. I've personally gotten into heated verbal confrontations with 3 drivers since living here.

Miss Foxy
08-25-2010, 11:30 PM
yeah, I've found that more often than not a cab ride has involved a smell or two. not always but I've taken a lot of cabs in NY. and honestly different diets can produce different scents.
I've heard stories of taxi drivers being very forward towards women riding alone. I've personally gotten into heated verbal confrontations with 3 drivers since living here.

What does all that have to do with a person being murdered?:blink:

Llamafighter
08-25-2010, 11:36 PM

who was murdered?

MattHughesRocks
08-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Some people just need to lay off the booze.Seriously :wacko:

Bonnie
08-26-2010, 12:09 AM

That's kinda what I was asking. :laugh: Not the murder part, but..."in some cases the smell can help keep the odor from wafting into the back. Not kidding.".

who was murdered?

I think Foxy is confused too, Mark. I'm glad I'm not alone. :laugh:

How can a smell keep the odor from wafting to the back? And, what does that have to do with the assault on the taxi driver? Or was that just a "side comment" regarding NY taxi cab drivers? :laugh:

Miss Foxy
08-26-2010, 12:31 AM
who was murdered?

Lol!! I had to re-read this again :w00t:.. Ok what does the smell have to do with the taxi driver being assaulted?

Llamafighter
08-26-2010, 01:04 AM
Lol!! I had to re-read this again :w00t:.. Ok what does the smell have to do with the taxi driver being assaulted?

someone made the comment about needing to have the plexiglass dividers up to protect the drivers and I was commenting that the protection would go both ways.
try to keep up Foxy:Whistle:

Llamafighter
08-26-2010, 01:05 AM
That's kinda what I was asking. :laugh: Not the murder part, but..."in some cases the smell can help keep the odor from wafting into the back. Not kidding.".

I think Foxy is confused too, Mark. I'm glad I'm not alone. :laugh:

How can a smell keep the odor from wafting to the back? And, what does that have to do with the assault on the taxi driver? Or was that just a "side comment" regarding NY taxi cab drivers? :laugh:

:rolleyes: I think I meant to put "The glass would keep the odor" but I couldn't decide whether or not to put "smell" or "odor" as the noun so my brain used both :)

flo
08-26-2010, 02:35 AM

I know what you mean! I can count on one hand the times we've taken a cab somewhere but one in particular was memorable because of the cans and food wrappers in the back and the not-so-great smell.

We didn't leave a tip, he thought we were country hicks :-) He was right. :laugh:

Neezar
08-26-2010, 11:13 AM

who was murdered?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I was in Atlanta, GA once and was cabbing it around town. I was picked up by the same driver FOUR times. :blink: And this was in different areas of town. I was getting a little worried that this guy seemed to know where I was ending up and when I getting ready to leave. Once he cut another cabbie off to pull over to get me. :unsure-1: I had him drop me off a couple of blocks from my hotel and then I went into stealth mode back to my hotel. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Miss Foxy
08-26-2010, 03:40 PM
someone made the comment about needing to have the plexiglass dividers up to protect the drivers and I was commenting that the protection would go both ways.
try to keep up Foxy:Whistle:

lol!! I know, I know... :ashamed: Well I would rather smell someone than look at ugly feet!! Cracked skin, chipped polish, and dirty sandals make me sick!! :sick: Believe me I have had many rides in the taxis in Las Vegas, and I feel ya on some of the odors accompanying the drivers!! :scared0011: