PDA

View Full Version : WEC 53 Coming to Pheonix

VCURamFan
08-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks to the "Hometown Takedown" contest that AMP energy drink had, Pheonix (well, technically Glendale) will be hosting WEC 53 at the Jobing.com Arena.

Congrats, JB!

Miss Foxy
08-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Proper spelling of city is PHOENIX.... I owe ya !!:)

J.B.
08-20-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm actually disappointed (I know, big shocker, lol):laugh:

I mean, yeah, it's great that MMA is finally starting to make it's way to Phoenix, but it's irritating that Dana treats this place like a "test" market.

Nobody from the far East Valley except for the die-hards like me are going to find it worthwhile to drive all the way to Glendale for a WEC event. Granted, Jobing.com arena is a very nice arena and it would be a great setting for an MMA show.

Still, I don't know why it seems to be such an impossible task to do the LOGICAL thing...Put a UFC PPV in America West Arena in DOWNTOWN PHOENIX and watch the tickets fly out the door.

If we can host the Super Bowl and Wrestlemania, the UFC should have been here a long time ago, and considering that Dana has been promising us a UFC for about 3 years, yeah I am bit disappointed.

J.B.
08-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Proper spelling of city is PHOENIX.... I owe ya !!:)

:laugh:

I was gonna ignore it...and I did when I made my first post...but now it keeps catching my eye on the Index page and it's driving me nuts...:frantics:

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm actually disappointed (I know, big shocker, lol):laugh:

I mean, yeah, it's great that MMA is finally starting to make it's way to Phoenix, but it's irritating that Dana treats this place like a "test" market.

Nobody from the far East Valley except for the die-hards like me are going to find it worthwhile to drive all the way to Glendale for a WEC event. Granted, Jobing.com arena is a very nice arena and it would be a great setting for an MMA show.

Still, I don't know why it seems to be such an impossible task to do the LOGICAL thing...Put a UFC PPV in America West Arena in DOWNTOWN PHOENIX and watch the tickets fly out the door.

If we can host the Super Bowl and Wrestlemania, the UFC should have been here a long time ago, and considering that Dana has been promising us a UFC for about 3 years, yeah I am bit disappointed.

Well, there aint no pleasing some people :mellow:

J.B.
08-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Well, there aint no pleasing some people :mellow:

Phoenix Arizona is the 5th largest city in the United States. It's not a test market. :rolleyes:

:)

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Phoenix Arizona is the 5th largest city in the United States. It's not a test market. :rolleyes:

:)

Is it bigger then Chicago :huh: or Washington DC :huh: or Saint Loius Missouri :huh: I'm trying to picture its size in my mind :laugh:

I hope to visit it on ADT3 2012 :w00t: (that is if you dont decide to move back to Chicago :unsure-1:)

J.B.
08-20-2010, 08:45 PM

Is it bigger then Chicago :huh: or Washington DC :huh: or Saint Loius Missouri :huh: I'm trying to picture its size in my mind :laugh:

I hope to visit it on ADT3 2012 :w00t: (that is if you dont decide to move back to Chicago :unsure-1:)

For one, I am not moving back to Chicago. I can't stand the weather, amongst other things as well. So you should be good for 2012...:wink:

To answer your question about size, NO it's not bigger than Chicago because CHI-town is the 3rd largest city, but it is much bigger than St. Louis or DC.

The top 5 goes like this.... New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix

PHX is a huge market for anything, but especially MMA. It's a big deal down here.

J.B.
08-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Here is a picture of where WEC 53 will be held in Glendale...
http://0.tqn.com/d/phoenix/1/0/V/S/2/westgatecitycenter01.jpg

NO, it's not that giant UFO looking building in the back....that's where the Cardinals play. :laugh:

It's the building just in front of it at the back of the civc center, that is Jobing.com arena.

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 09:03 PM
For one, I am not moving back to Chicago. I can't stand the weather, amongst other things as well. So you should be good for 2012...:wink:

To answer your question about size, NO it's not bigger than Chicago because CHI-town is the 3rd largest city, but it is much bigger than St. Louis or DC.

The top 5 goes like this.... New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix

PHX is a huge market for anything, but especially MMA. It's a big deal down here.

okay, so London has about 7 million people living in it, new york is around 8 million.

Leeds is around 700K , San Fransisco about 800K

Phoenix they put just over a million, Birmingham is just under a million. Okay, now I got it figured out in my head.

How big is the place they plan to host the event at? whats the population :huh:

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 09:07 PM
okay Glendale 230K

WTF....thats less then Derby :laugh:

I concure, the venue city is much to small :) MUCH to small! when you think in England they have gone for nothing below 420K

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 09:14 PM
:laugh: YONKERS :laugh:

:laugh: Which one of you is responsible for giving that city its name :laugh:

Sorry...got caught up in tables and charts :unsure-1::ashamed:

I see none of your cities fall below the 100K mark, is that how you define a city? In England a City is not based on size, it can only be called a City if it has been granted a Charter. So some places like York for example, would be classed as a City...but Harrogate (which is not a city) probably has eqaul to/more then in terms of size and population.

Thats how it was with Cathedrals also, in England the Church of England Cathedrals, pre reformation, are all within cities, its like the mark of the Soverigns Charter, the right to build a Cathedral...Recently (as in within the previous century) they broke up several diocise and made pre existing Churches Cathedral Status, that has to be by Charter, but I wouldnt now be certain the Charters for Cathedral and City are synonomous anymore, as they absolutely used to be. oh and just to make things extra complex, the Cathedral building was choice...so many of the cities didnt take up the offer of building one...I'd love to know if they have the technical legal right however to insist on one...that would of cause force the Church of England to change its doicise again, as you can only have one Cathedral per diocise (well, one C of E cathedral at any rate)

J.B.
08-20-2010, 09:17 PM
okay, so London has about 7 million people living in it, new york is around 8 million.

Leeds is around 700K , San Fransisco about 800K

Phoenix they put just over a million, Birmingham is just under a million. Okay, now I got it figured out in my head.

How big is the place they plan to host the event at? whats the population :huh:

Hang on a sec though brother...don't get it twisted...populations don't always give accurate representations of the entire metropolitan area. The city of Phoenix has 1.6 million people, but the whole metro area is something like 4.3 million people. Also, Arizona's population spikes WAY up in the winter months because thousands and thousands of retired people migrate here for the better climate in those months. Arizona is really unique place.

Jobing.com Arena holds between 17,000 and 19,000 people depending on the setup.

If you look at that picture I posted you can see the building. It's a really nice venue, they have the Phoenix Coyotes Hockey team play there.

That big building behind Jobing.com is University of Phoenix Stadium and it holds roughly 70,000 people. :wink:

J.B.
08-20-2010, 09:18 PM
okay Glendale 230K

WTF....thats less then Derby :laugh:

I concure, the venue city is much to small :) MUCH to small! when you think in England they have gone for nothing below 420K

No, no, no....

Read my last post brother...

J.B.
08-20-2010, 09:23 PM
The reason they put that civic center out in Glendale was because it's still largely undeveloped (as you can see in the background of the picture), also Glendale has been trying to clean up their image for years and building the new civic center, along with the new Cardinals Stadium, and some new baseball parks for MLB spring training, helped them clean up and bring a bunch of revenue in.

Glendale and Phoenix are not MILES apart, they are adjacent.

Miss Foxy
08-20-2010, 09:26 PM

I was gonna ignore it...and I did when I made my first post...but now it keeps catching my eye on the Index page and it's driving me nuts...:frantics:

I am almost positive my run on sentences, bad grammar, and all that drives Neezar nuts!! :happydancing: How about this one to make you more insane in the brain.. TUSCON!! :laugh:

J.B.
08-20-2010, 09:32 PM
I am almost positive my run on sentences, bad grammar, and all that drives Neezar nuts!! :happydancing: How about this one to make you more insane in the brain.. TUSCON!! :laugh:

If I wasn't an avid hater of the AU Wildcats that would bother me :laugh:

GO SUN DEVILS!!!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqBpRNJK9PGZgybrI1-bbfR1TraZFzUsnrwmQo6TP2Da8ak4w&t=1&usg=__zbXikJPbVd8u_YQ0aCVcCMR9BVs=

Miss Foxy
08-20-2010, 09:35 PM
If I wasn't an avid hater of the AU Wildcats that would bother me :laugh:

GO SUN DEVILS!!!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqBpRNJK9PGZgybrI1-bbfR1TraZFzUsnrwmQo6TP2Da8ak4w&t=1&usg=__zbXikJPbVd8u_YQ0aCVcCMR9BVs=

Tucson!! Dorkus..

J.B.
08-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Tucson!! Dorkus..

Oh I know... I saw the misspelling, it just don't bother me because Tucson is AU Wildcat territory...:laugh:

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 09:42 PM
I can work this out actually. I know there are fifty two Cathedrals, lets see if all of them are accounted for by the city list shall we :w00t: I shall highlight Cathedral cities in blue, leave those cities without cathedrals black, and add in red cathedrals that lie in cities that dont have city charters :ninja: (remember ripon and leeds is counted as a single cathedral, unhelpfully situated in the smaller city of ripon :laugh:)

London 7.2 Million
Birmingham 992000
Leeds 720000
Sheffield 512000
Bradford 467000
Liverpool 440000
Manchester 420000
Bristol 380000
Wakefield 316000
Coventry 305000
Nottingham 285000
Leicester 280000
Sunderland 280000
Newcastle upon Tyne 259000
Brighton 248000
Hull 240000
Plymouth 240000
Stoke-on-Trent 239000
Wolverhampton 239000
Derby 230000
Southampton 220000
Salford 215000
Westminster 190000
Portsmouth 186000
York 182000
Peterborough 157000
Lancaster 135000
Oxford 135000
Preston 130000
St Albans 130000
Norwich 125000
Chester 118000
Cambridge 115000
Salisbury 115000
Exeter 111000
Gloucester 110000
Lisburn 110000
Chichester 108000
Winchester 108000
Carlisle 101000
Worcester 93000
Bath 90000
Durham 87000
Lincoln 86000
Hereford 55000
Canterbury 42500
Lichfield 30000
Ripon 24500
Truro 19000
Ely 14000
Wells 10000
St Davids 2000

Blackburn
Chelmsford
Guildford
Rochester
Ipswich
Peel
Southwark

J.B.
08-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Dave, what does any of that have to do with Phoenix or WEC 53? :laugh:

I really do believe you have a point, I'm just not seeing it...lol

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 09:46 PM
am I missing some :blink: Nope...I think I just count royal peculiars and the likes :laugh:

J.B.
08-20-2010, 09:47 PM
am I missing some :blink: Nope...I think I just count royal peculiars and the likes :laugh:

once again....read my last post...:laugh:

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Dave, what does any of that have to do with Phoenix or WEC 53? :laugh:

I really do believe you have a point, I'm just not seeing it...lol

:laugh: Well I asked you how your nation defines a city. Ours has to do with charters, and city charters mean the prospect of a cathedral...but after it was all done they broke up the cathedral governance, and made new cathedrals, and as you can see, the ones in red, technically speaking dont lie in a urban area with a city charter...so either they arent real cathedrals, or else, in theory the town could decide to declaire itself a city, or ask for the removal of the cathedral coz only cities are allowed cathedrals...do you follow how I got there...or no :huh::unsure-1:

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Hang on a sec though brother...don't get it twisted...populations don't always give accurate representations of the entire metropolitan area. The city of Phoenix has 1.6 million people, but the whole metro area is something like 4.3 million people. Also, Arizona's population spikes WAY up in the winter months because thousands and thousands of retired people migrate here for the better climate in those months. Arizona is really unique place.

Jobing.com Arena holds between 17,000 and 19,000 people depending on the setup.

If you look at that picture I posted you can see the building. It's a really nice venue, they have the Phoenix Coyotes Hockey team play there.

That big building behind Jobing.com is University of Phoenix Stadium and it holds roughly 70,000 people. :wink:

what do you mean..."whole metropolitan area" :huh: What metropolitan area is it, if it isnt part of the city, and if it is part of the city, should it not already be reflected in the figures :huh:

Never mind about holiday people...thats fascinating, but they arent residents, so they cant be counted can they :laugh::laugh:

The Arena still looks a little small to me...I thought they would have put WEC into the big thing that looks like a Mormon Tabernackle :laugh::laugh:

J.B.
08-20-2010, 09:52 PM
:laugh: Well I asked you how your nation defines a city. Ours has to do with charters, and city charters mean the prospect of a cathedral...but after it was all done they broke up the cathedral governance, and made new cathedrals, and as you can see, the ones in red, technically speaking dont lie in a urban area with a city charter...so either they arent real cathedrals, or else, in theory the town could decide to declaire itself a city, or ask for the removal of the cathedral coz only cities are allowed cathedrals...do you follow how I got there...or no :huh::unsure-1:

Okay...I just caught WHY you are saying that, but I had to read back through because you edited your post....:laugh:

Long story short, it don't work like that here...:laugh:

http://www.best-phoenix-real-estate.com/gfx/greater-phoenix-map-425.gif

J.B.
08-20-2010, 09:54 PM
what do you mean..."whole metropolitan area" :huh: What metropolitan area is it, if it isnt part of the city, and if it is part of the city, should it not already be reflected in the figures :huh:

The metro area is the cities/towns directly surrounding a major city, as shown in my last post. Those numbers ARE reflected in most population statistics.

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Okay...I just caught WHY you are saying that, but I had to read back through because you edited your post....:laugh:

Long story short, it don't work like that here...:laugh:

http://www.best-phoenix-real-estate.com/gfx/greater-phoenix-map-425.gif

okay...question for you. Are those individual cities that have grown so large they merge...or are they districts of the city that have decided to rename themselves?

if its the former, then I get why you would say Phoenix is one, and the surrounding area is another...but if they are districts of the city with big egos...then I think you should class the whole lot of them as the city do you follow :huh:

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 09:59 PM
:laugh: "be not so long to speak, I long to die" :laugh:

J.B.
08-20-2010, 10:01 PM
okay...question for you. Are those individual cities that have grown so large they merge...or are they districts of the city that have decided to rename themselves?

if its the former, then I get why you would say Phoenix is one, and the surrounding area is another...but if they are districts of the city with big egos...then I think you should class the whole lot of them as the city do you follow :huh:

As in like a "megalopolis"?

To a large degree...yes. However some of the smaller ones on the outskirts are kinda still viewed as being "outsiders".

Still, they ARE individual cities/towns and not just subsets of what "was" Phoenix. So they definitely would fall under the "former" part of your question. :)

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 10:02 PM
As in like a "megalopolis"?

To a large degree...yes. However some of the smaller ones on the outskirts are kinda still viewed as being "outsiders".

Still, they ARE individual cities and not just subsets of what "was" Phoenix. So they definitely would fall under the "former" part of your question. :)

:laugh: ohh...I understand you now. :ashamed:

its only taken the best part of all night. :laugh:

J.B.
08-20-2010, 10:05 PM
:laugh: ohh...I understand you now. :ashamed:

its only taken the best part of all night. :laugh:

ain't that how it usually goes? :laugh:

Hopefully the UFC actually comes here by 2012...who knows, maybe we could go to the show together! (which would be an absolute blast and riot at the same time)

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 10:08 PM
ain't that how it usually goes? :laugh:

Hopefully the UFC actually comes here by 2012...who knows, maybe we could go to the show together! (which would be an absolute blast and riot at the same time)

:w00t: Yes :laugh: wouldnt that be fun! I shall ask Dana White in my yearly letter to him :ninja: I shall ask for a WEC in March in Phoenix (as close to the amtrak station as possible :frantics:) and a UFC in...ohh...one of the other states I'm passing through :laugh: Last time he foolishly put a UFC...or maybe UFN in Las Vegas which was unhelpful for me...coz as I was passing through Ohio (which is Rich Franklins state) Rich Franklin was in Nevada :unsure-1:

J.B.
08-20-2010, 10:13 PM
:w00t: Yes :laugh: wouldnt that be fun! I shall ask Dana White in my yearly letter to him :ninja: I shall ask for a WEC in March in Phoenix (as close to the amtrak station as possible :frantics:) and a UFC in...ohh...one of the other states I'm passing through :laugh: Last time he foolishly put a UFC...or maybe UFN in Las Vegas which was unhelpful for me...coz as I was passing through Ohio (which is Rich Franklins state) Rich Franklin was in Nevada :unsure-1:

Oh..I gotta break it you ya bro...Amtrak don't run out here, that's in the midwest and the east coast. You gotta take Greyhound Bus or fly in.

Dana just said on our local radio like a week and a half ago that he planned on having the first Zuffa event in PHX being a UFN. Now, I DO think that WEC is better than a UFN, but that's because I actually KNOW MMA. Most people are gonna see that it's not UFC and they are gonna be like, "screw that". At least with the UFN he could have put Ryan Bader and CB Dolloway on the card and gotten a big pull from the locals. If he did a UFC PPV here with Cain Velasquez it would be OFF THE HOOK...trust me...:wink:

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Oh..I gotta break it you ya bro...Amtrak don't run out here, that's in the midwest and the east coast. You gotta take Greyhound Bus or fly in.

Dana just said on our local radio like a week and a half ago that he planned on having the first Zuffa event in PHX being a UFN. Now, I DO think that WEC is better than a UFN, but that's because I actually KNOW MMA. Most people are gonna see that it's not UFC and they are gonna be like, "screw that". At least with the UFN he could have put Ryan Bader and CB Dolloway on the card and gotten a big pull from the locals. If he did a UFC PPV here with Cain Velasquez it would be OFF THE HOOK...trust me...:wink:

:huh:

:laugh: Red line to Flagstaff, Green line south to Pheonix. :)

Nothing is impossible for Amtrak...save Wyoming

I have a map :ninja:

J.B.
08-20-2010, 10:19 PM
:huh:

:laugh: Red line to Flagstaff, Green line south to Pheonix. :)

Nothing is impossible for Amtrak...save Wyoming

I have a map :ninja:

I have no idea what you are looking at, but Tucson is south of Phoenix

I did a quick search and it appears that Amtrak connects it people with a Greyhound Bus at Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix.

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 10:22 PM
I have no idea what you are looking at, but Tucson is south of Phoenix

I did a quick search and it appears that Amtrak connects it people with a Greyhound Bus at Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix.

Not Tucson...although that line goes north to maricopa...how close is that to phoenix??

No I meant Flagstaff, then Camp Verde, then Phoenix, it marks it on the map as "thruway connecting service...and...your right its marked the same as the galesburg link in ADT2...its a bus :scared0011:

J.B.
08-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Not Tucson...although that line goes north to maricopa...how close is that to phoenix??

No I meant Flagstaff, then Camp Verde, then Phoenix, it marks it on the map as "thruway connecting service...and...your right its marked the same as the galesburg link in ADT2...its a bus :scared0011:

Okay...you meant Flag, that is up north (near the Grand Canyon)

Yeah, it's a bus, and you will likely be traveling along I-40 (if you are coming from the east)... I know that highway very well...it's very long and desolate and stretches across most of our country. I have traveled it many times. When you stop for a bathroom break, you better take full advantage. :laugh:

Phoenix is in "Maricopa County", however Maricopa "the city" is not that far out of Phoenix, but I have a hard time believing they wouldn't just bring you into Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport when they come down I-17 into the valley.

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Okay...you meant Flag, that is up north (near the Grand Canyon)

Yeah, it's a bus, and you will likely be traveling along I-40 (if you are coming from the east)... I know that highway very well...it's very long and desolate and stretches across most of our country. I have traveled it many times. When you stop for a bathroom break, you better take full advantage. :laugh:

Maricopa the city is not that far out of PHX, but I have a hard time believing they wouldn't just bring you into Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport when they come down I-17 into the valley.

Nope, the south approach from the east goes Benson, Tucson, Maricopa, Yuma (no connection between Maricopa and Phoenix.

OR

the north approach from the west goes Needles, Kingman, Williams Junction, Flagstaff (change south) Camp Verde Phoenix

:angry: they dont make this easy do they :frantics:

J.B.
08-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Nope, the south approach from the east goes Benson, Tucson, Maricopa, Yuma (no connection between Maricopa and Phoenix.

OR

the north approach from the west goes Needles, Kingman, Williams Junction, Flagstaff (change south) Camp Verde Phoenix

:angry: they dont make this easy do they :frantics:

If you come from the south it's going to be by way of Tucson, if you come from up north it will be by way of Flagstaff. That's pretty easy to understand, however something is jacked up in what you are reading because it makes no sense for them to come from the south and go all the way up north to Maricopa then all the way back down south to Yuma, unless that's how they worked the route for some weird reason. Tucson and Yuma are way south down by the border. Either way, when they come from the south up into what we call "the valley", it's asinine that they wouldn't just take the people into Phoenix, that IS the biggest city in the state and where most people traveling to the valley are actually going, it's also funny because Maricopa is part of METRO PHOENIX, lol. :wacko:

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 10:53 PM
If you come from the south it's going to be by way of Tucson, if you come from up north it will be by way of Flagstaff. That's pretty easy to understand, however something is jacked up in what you are reading because it makes no sense for them to come from the south and go all the way up north to Maricopa then all the way back down south to Yuma, unless that's how they worked the route for some weird reason. Tucson and Yuma are way south down by the border. Either way, when they come from the south up into what we call "the valley", it's asinine that they wouldn't just take the people into Phoenix, that IS the biggest city in the state and where most people traveling to the valley are actually going, it's also funny because Maricopa is part of METRO PHOENIX, lol. :wacko:

I know. On my map it looks like maybe a river between maricopa and phoenix is that the valley your talking about?

Anyway...would that be an appropriate place to be dropped off if I were to visit you :huh: I'll tell you why..i'll be on that southline already because its the smae one that runs through houston in texas...the next level up, which is the line through flagstaff is pinned between Los Angeles and Kansas city...it drops in latitutde suddenly on entry to colorado to the depth of albuquerque in new mexico...the level above that is Sanfransisco and chicago via salt lake city Utah, Denver Colorado, and Omaha Nebraska...and the one at the top almost runs along the canadain boarder from spokane all the way to Saint Paul Minneapolis and then milwaukee south to chicago....it actually ends in montreal canada that line...and Vancouver at the other end...the only two points at which the boarder of the United States is breached

Not that we should really be using this thread to work out how best to fit your visit into ADT3...but...you know :laugh:

J.B.
08-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I know. On my map it looks like maybe a river between maricopa and phoenix is that the valley your talking about?

Anyway...would that be an appropriate place to be dropped off if I were to visit you :huh: I'll tell you why..i'll be on that southline already because its the smae one that runs through houston in texas...the next level up, which is the line through flagstaff is pinned between Los Angeles and Kansas city...it drops in latitutde suddenly on entry to colorado to the depth of albuquerque in new mexico...the level above that is Sanfransisco and chicago via salt lake city Utah, Denver Colorado, and Omaha Nebraska...and the one at the top almost runs along the canadain boarder from spokane all the way to Saint Paul Minneapolis and then milwaukee south to chicago....it actually ends in montreal canada that line...and Vancouver at the other end...the only two points at which the boarder of the United States is breached

Not that we should really be using this thread to work out how best to fit your visit into ADT3...but...you know :laugh:

Ahhh, who cares...we already hijacked this thread....Sorry Ben :wink:

If you are coming from the south through Tucson, the Maricopa stop is fine. It's not really "that far" out from Phoenix, which is kinda my point as to why it's funny they wouldn't just go to Phoenix. :laugh:

Tyburn
08-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Ahhh, who cares...we already hijacked this thread....Sorry Ben :wink:

If you are coming from the south through Tucson, the Maricopa stop is fine. It's not really "that far" out from Phoenix, which is kinda my point as to why it's funny they wouldn't just go to Phoenix. :laugh:

:laugh: Great!! The other reason is that Amtrak are difficult with me about tickets when it involves STARTING at a bus. So for example, they had no problem sending a ticket TO Davenport when I changed at Galesburg for the last leg of the journey, but they refused to post tickets for the return, because it started with the bus in Davenport.

I suppose in fairness I could come INTO phoenix by bus, but then I wouldnt be able to leave that way easily. The way we got round it was to let them send the tickets to someone IN the US that I could pick them up from...I'm now weary of doing anything Starting with a bus...which is why I might have to fly in and out of Las Vegas...its CRIMINAL not to have that city on a train line!!!! I realize its stuck out in a desert...but even so. I suspect that these trainlines are close to the original railways of the US Devlopment era...I dont suppose anyone has really built anymore since...someone should really invest...bring the Railways to Wyoming, and the black spots...many of the states have a single line running through them, thats pretty useless because a single State might be larger then England...so the train may not run anywhere near where you want to go.

Thats why these things take so much planning. But I love it. I love planning and organizing these trips :w00t:

J.B.
08-21-2010, 11:45 AM
its CRIMINAL not to have that city on a train line!!!! I realize its stuck out in a desert...but even so. I suspect that these trainlines are close to the original railways of the US Devlopment era...I dont suppose anyone has really built anymore since...someone should really invest...bring the Railways to Wyoming, and the black spots...many of the states have a single line running through them, thats pretty useless because a single State might be larger then England...so the train may not run anywhere near where you want to go.

Nobody uses the train anymore

Tyburn
08-21-2010, 02:35 PM

Nobody uses the train anymore

I realized that your public transport system outside of a City is practically third world, I mean...it seems to be almost no existant. Is Amtrak your only rail sysem :huh:

In England (the size of California) our network system can get us from almost anywhere, to anywhere, there are buses from cities that go to different cities, regular. It would be possible to go the length of the country on public transport busses, if you are prepared to change when they reach as far as they go. For example, Leeds is connected to Sheffield, once in Sheffield you could get a bus going to a further town, etc...but that seems impossible in the US. The Quad Cities boasts a reasonable bus system, but I wouldnt have called it regular or all encompassing by any stretch of the imagination...its so strange, especially when you have a LOT of visitors...a large tourism trade and absolutely no way of moving people around the country unless they drive...and you couldnt NOT drive in the US because of how spread out things are...the towns size might be the same as a British Comparison...but the AREA of the city, in miles, or ground coverage could be two, three, four times the size :laugh:

I guess I am used to busses and trains. I remember being suprised when some of the Americans I was travelling with on Amtrak seemed to be googly eyed...I was like "but you live here, have you never been on a train before" to a large extent, a lot of them truely had not, especially if they werent from a major city with a tram or tube system :blink: Here almost EVERY little village has a train station...I sware, Weeton on the way to leeds is like a hamlet or something, and the train stops there EVERY SINGLE TIME :laugh: noone ever gets on or off though :scared0011:

J.B.
08-21-2010, 04:05 PM
We all pretty much have cars. If you live way outside of a city and you don't have a car, you need to call a cab or walk. :laugh: