PDA

View Full Version : Roid Use vs Economy / Nation Debt

BamaGrits84
08-19-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm a bit concerned that our government is lacking priorty after all the tax dollars wasted on congression hearings over the use of steroids by professional athletes. With our economy falling, our debt raising, and two wars going on I wonder why in the hell these jokers think they have time & money to be spending on roid usage! Give me a freaking break!

What the heck does Roger Clemen's drug use matter to our dang national government? We can't even secure our borders to stop drugs from coming in to thousands of dope dealers selling drugs in our neighborhoods and near our kids' schools and parks but we have time to investigate riod use? I'm highly annoyed over this. It's another waste of taxpayer funded time and money. Hey how about this? You give me my $300 in taxes a week back and I'll worry about who the hell uses roids in the sports I give a rip about!

Miss Foxy
08-19-2010, 09:10 PM
I think it's within reason that steroids/drugs are investigated. Different bureaus for different crimes. Yes, I believe a lot of our tax money is used wrongly. That is very frustrating.

BamaGrits84
08-19-2010, 09:21 PM
I think it's within reason that steroids/drugs are investigated. Different bureaus for different crimes. Yes, I believe a lot of our tax money is used wrongly. That is very frustrating.

Yes but by the federal governemnt when street drugs are so much more widely abused? When's the last time we had a congressional hearing over the massive abuse of perscription pain pills? Now there's something that's really ruining lives that would actually be worth the DEA getting heavily involved in but still even then a congressional hearing wouldn't be would I would see as a need in uppholding the law. That's as stupid as having a congression hearing on the way the BSC championship game is decided.

J.B.
08-19-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm a bit concerned that our government is lacking priorty after all the tax dollars wasted on congression hearings over the use of steroids by professional athletes. With our economy falling, our debt raising, and two wars going on I wonder why in the hell these jokers think they have time & money to be spending on roid usage! Give me a freaking break!

What the heck does Roger Clemen's drug use matter to our dang national government? We can't even secure our borders to stop drugs from coming in to thousands of dope dealers selling drugs in our neighborhoods and near our kids' schools and parks but we have time to investigate riod use? I'm highly annoyed over this. It's another waste of taxpayer funded time and money. Hey how about this? You give me my $300 in taxes a week back and I'll worry about who the hell uses roids in the sports I give a rip about!

I understand what you are saying, but there are two sides to this discussion.

The report that Congress based their hearings off of was not a federally funded investigation but rather one that was conducted independently by former Senator George Mitchell at the request of MLB Chairman Bud Selig. While I can understand the idea that it seems silly to have had this issue come before Congress, the argument can be made that our government has an interest in seeing to it that there is not tampering in professional sports for a number of reasons. There is a lot of money in professional sports, and a lot of money tied up in gambling. We have long had the FBI working to break up operations that are in place to fix matches. Also, let's not forget that when we think about it from the entire sports realm, Boxing/MMA are the only sports that are directly regulated by the government, giving them an even more direct interest in it's oversight. However, going back to just Baseball, here is an interesting tidbit I came across...

The Government Reform Committee is charged as the "principal investigative committee of the House," which gives it the authority to conduct hearings on any subject falling under the jurisdiction of Congress. The Federally Controlled Substances Act, regulates the use of performance enhancing drugs, including steroids. In addition, Major League Baseball has been exempt from most federal anti-trust laws laws since 1922, when the Supreme Court ruled in its favor in Federal Baseball Club of Baltimore, Inc. v. National Baseball Clubs. The exemption prevents teams for suing if they are not granted the right to change locations at will. While its exemption from anti-trust laws has nothing to do with steroid use by players, it does place the affairs of Major League Baseball squarely under the jurisdiction of Congress.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/uscongress/a/steroids.htm

Also, we must remember that this story about Clemens isn't new. This is just blowback from him lying under oath when he testified 5 years ago. Does it seem silly that they are still going after him? Sure, but it's also silly that he lied to the government and lied to all the fans of the sport that has long been considered our nation's past-time.

Tyburn
08-19-2010, 11:09 PM

I think its about priorities, and largely, I would hope a Federal Government had bigger fish to fry. Why cant State Athletic Associations, and State Government deal with this?

Tell me...you dont really spend $300 in tax per WEEK :blink:

I was just working it out, I spend about 100 for income, 50 for National Insurance, 70 for Council, and 20 for TV but thats for a whole month!

J.B.
08-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Why cant State Athletic Associations, and State Government deal with this?

State Athletic Commissions have no jurisdiction over Professional Sports leagues. Major League Baseball happens to exclusively fall under congressional oversight.

Of course the government has bigger fish to fry, but there are also many smaller issues that congress have meetings on all the time that are less significant than this issue.

logrus
08-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Steroid hunting is stupid, such a shame for a wonderful product.

Tyburn
08-19-2010, 11:43 PM
State Athletic Commissions have no jurisdiction over Professional Sports leagues.

then what is their point???

Congress should, I reckon be dealing with...more important matters :blink:...I mean, isnt Congress like the top of the chain? surely there are oversight committees far lower down that can deal with this?

J.B.
08-20-2010, 12:09 AM
then what is their point???

Congress should, I reckon be dealing with...more important matters :blink:...I mean, isnt Congress like the top of the chain? surely there are oversight committees far lower down that can deal with this?

It's not that simple Dave.

The Athletic Commissions are essentially in place to regulate Boxing and Martial Arts. Those governing bodies are directly controlled by the state governments.

In the big sports leagues such as Major League Baseball, they are independently governed when it comes to rules and regulations. However, the government, on local and federal levels, have vested interests in the leagues. Baseball is not subject to federal anti-trust laws, so that puts them directly under the jurisdiction of Congress. You also must remember that the teams in these leagues have direct ties to the local governments in cities in which they reside. Tax dollars go into building the stadiums and the major sports leagues are significant parts of their respective local economies. Not to mention that the oversight on federally controlled substances (such as steroids) also fall directly under congressional jurisdiction.

Also, I think we need to remember that Congress isn't having these meetings right now. This is OLD news. The only reason this is being talked about right now is because a Baseball player (Roger Clemens) is going to be charged with perjury because he blatantly lied to congress when he testified on his use of steroids years ago. Also, it needs to be noted that Clemens would have never been in this situation if he just kept his mouth shut. When his name got outed as a steroid user, he reacted like a hot-head and went on the defensive. Roger Clemens BEGGED congress to let him testify at their hearings and they DIDN'T EVEN SUMMONS HIM! He was so set on coming out and saying he was innocent that now that a lot more evidence has come to light he has been exposed as a flat out liar. The government is just making an example of him to say that just because you are a big-shot athlete, you can't lie under oath.

J.B.
08-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Steroid hunting is stupid, such a shame for a wonderful product.

Steroids do wonderful things, no doubt about.

I just don't like the idea of PED's being unchecked in sports. If there is one thing we can say, from the looks of things today it's starting to appear that all the hoopla actually helped change what's going on in Baseball. For what it's worth in that respect, Congress may have actually help accomplish something good. :laugh:

logrus
08-20-2010, 01:30 AM
Steroids do wonderful things, no doubt about.

I just don't like the idea of PED's being unchecked in sports. If there is one thing we can say, from the looks of things today it's starting to appear that all the hoopla actually helped change what's going on in Baseball. For what it's worth in that respect, Congress may have actually help accomplish something good. :laugh:

True in a lot of ways it did help baseball. Though I am a bit worried what this is doing to the people very low on the totem poll.

J.B.
08-20-2010, 02:09 AM
True in a lot of ways it did help baseball. Though I am a bit worried what this is doing to the people very low on the totem poll.

Do you mean like lower level users/body-builders?

logrus
08-20-2010, 04:33 AM
Do you mean like lower level users/body-builders?

IT depends on what you mean by low level users. I feel like your faking the run, but are going to hail mary me to death. :laugh:

Body building is a Sport, but its also some what of a level playing feild. For the most part if your going for the all natural or not. The all natural test heavy with some doing testing more rigerous then others, also some natural competitions will actually polly you as well as test you up the yin yang. I would imagine some cheat, but then again thats all sports. Now the other version you pretty much know everyone is taking, its about as common as terrible fake tans lol.

Anyways, you know what ticks me off about people on the take.Its there a bunch of cowards to admit they took, or are taking. They just deny it, the proof is out there, whether its documents, or you mysteriously put on 20 pounds a muscle even though you have some of the worst lifting form in the entire world.

J.B.
08-20-2010, 05:46 AM
IT depends on what you mean by low level users. I feel like your faking the run, but are going to hail mary me to death. :laugh:

Body building is a Sport, but its also some what of a level playing feild. For the most part if your going for the all natural or not. The all natural test heavy with some doing testing more rigerous then others, also some natural competitions will actually polly you as well as test you up the yin yang. I would imagine some cheat, but then again thats all sports. Now the other version you pretty much know everyone is taking, its about as common as terrible fake tans lol.

Anyways, you know what ticks me off about people on the take.Its there a bunch of cowards to admit they took, or are taking. They just deny it, the proof is out there, whether its documents, or you mysteriously put on 20 pounds a muscle even though you have some of the worst lifting form in the entire world.

I actually wasn't setting anything up there. I was just curious as to what you meant by "low man on the totem pole". What I was implying by saying "low-level user" is just anybody who is NOT an athlete competing in an organized sport on professional or semi-professional level where these drugs can create an unfair advantage. For instance, a guy who just wants to get bigger and put on more muscle, I don't care about that one bit and I don't think people should go to jail for that.

My view when it comes to bodybuilders is pretty much indifferent too. I can see why some bodybuilders want to keep it natural, and it's obvious to see why some love PED's. My brother was into the junk for a while when he was in a crazy phase of lifting in his mid-late 20's (imagine a 5'8 guy benching 535lbs, lol). I don't really care when it comes to the bodybuilders because that seems to be a very accepted part of their culture, similar to pro-wrestling.

BamaGrits84
08-20-2010, 12:49 PM
I think its about priorities, and largely, I would hope a Federal Government had bigger fish to fry. Why cant State Athletic Associations, and State Government deal with this?

Tell me...you dont really spend $300 in tax per WEEK :blink:

I was just working it out, I spend about 100 for income, 50 for National Insurance, 70 for Council, and 20 for TV but thats for a whole month!

Actually it's $332.48.