PDA

View Full Version : Australia to Leave the Commonwealth post Elizabeth R

Tyburn
08-18-2010, 11:39 PM
There is an ellection campaign going on right now, one leader is basically saying that if she gets to power she will set in motion the Australian Republic, to come into being on the death of Elizabeth Windsor.

You watch...if this goes ahead, Canada will follow them :unsure-1:

AUSTRALIA should move to be a republic when the reign of Queen Elizabeth II ends, Prime Minister Julia Gillard says. Ms Gillard today said the Queen should be Australia's final monarch, despite the nation's "deep affection" for her.

"What I would like to see as Prime Minister is that we work our way through to an agreement on a model for the republic," she said in Townsville.

"I think the appropriate time for this nation to move to be a republic is when we see the monarch change.

"Obviously I'm hoping for Queen Elizabeth that she lives a long and happy life, and having watched her mother I think there's every chance that she will."

NOTE:

This means that, should Julia Gillard be elected to government on this coming Saturday, in time she will commence 'working her way' into preparing for Australia to be a republic.

A Gillard/Green government could well mean a series of plebiscites within her first term to “work our way through to an agreement on a model for the republic."

An Abbott government will mean no plebiscite and no referendum on a republic.

If you do not wish to cast your vote for the Coalition, please take care not to vote for a party, such as the Greens, who will use their position to bring on a republic. Those political parties who support the Constituently Monarchy are:

The Coalition (Liberal & National)
Christian Democrats
Family First
One Nation

The Australian Monarchist League has no affiliation with any political party or with any group or association whatsoever. It is funded only by its membership. It is a truly independent organisation whose sole purpose is to retain the Crown in our Australian Constitution.

rearnakedchoke
08-18-2010, 11:45 PM
i don't think canada will follow ... even though i don't follow the monarchy and what they are up to, i still think it is a great part of our history and needs to stay intact .. but that is just me ...

Tyburn
08-18-2010, 11:47 PM
i don't think canada will follow

Well I wouldnt blame them...not with Charles the Heir :unsure:

It tends to be that the moment you grant freedom to one...they all want it :angry:

:laugh:

Spiritwalker
08-19-2010, 01:13 AM
Well I wouldnt blame them...not with Charles the Heir :unsure:

It tends to be that the moment you grant freedom to one...they all want it :angry:

:laugh:

Or they could be like the States.. and TAKE it.

Tyburn
08-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Or they could be like the States.. and TAKE it.

:huh: Didnt your History books teach you that the United States gained Independance from The Crown in 1783, Given by King George, signed at the Treaty of Paris :huh:

Your nation declairing itself Free, doesnt make it free anymore then me Declairing myself Pope :laugh: The only people to have ever TAKEN Freedom would be those Provinces who successfully managed to either 1)wipe out their enemies, 2) have conquest over thier Enemies

Even losing a war doesnt indicate freedom, except in the minds of those who think they have won...you knocked us into the Atlantic...so did the Germans during World War Two...it didnt make a difference to the outcome. There were other possibilities besides signing a treaty, like launching a counter offensive.

So you see, without a full scale invasion of Britain, the only way the collonies could get independance was by the Kings Signiture on a document saying he concures.

Sorry to be the first to explain this to you. It doesnt sound like you know much about the historical roots of your nation. thats a great shame :unsure-1:

Spiritwalker
08-19-2010, 11:48 AM
:huh: Didnt your History books teach you that the United States gained Independance from The Crown in 1783, Given by King George, signed at the Treaty of Paris :huh:

Our history books teach us we declared our independance. "The United States Declaration of Independence is a statement adopted by the Continental Congress on July 4, 1776, which announced that the thirteen American colonies then at war with Great Britain were now independent states, and thus no longer a part of the British Empire. "

We won that war.. An easy read in Wki...

"The southern British army marched to Yorktown, Virginia where they expected to be rescued by a British fleet which would take them back to New York. When that fleet was defeated by a French fleet, however, they became trapped in Yorktown.In October 1781 under a combined siege by the French and Continental armies, the British, under the command of General Cornwallis, surrendered. However, Cornwallis was so embarrassed at his defeat that he had to send his second in command to surrender for him.

News of the defeat effectively ended major offensive operations in America. Support for the conflict had never been strong in Britain, where many sympathised with the rebels, but now it reached a new low.

Your nation declairing itself Free, doesnt make it free anymore then me Declairing myself Pope :laugh: The only people to have ever TAKEN Freedom would be those Provinces who successfully managed to either 1)wipe out their enemies, 2) have conquest over thier Enemies

On our shores.. that's exactly what we did.

Even losing a war doesnt indicate freedom, except in the minds of those who think they have won...you knocked us into the Atlantic...so did the Germans during World War Two...it didnt make a difference to the outcome.

Good thing you had the Americans helping you there right???

There were other possibilities besides signing a treaty, like launching a counter offensive.

Although King George III personally wanted to fight on, his supporters lost control of Parliament, and no further major land offensives were launched in the American Theatre. A final naval battle was fought on March 10, 1783 off the coast of Cape Canaveral by Captain John Barry and his crew of the USS Alliance who defeated three British warships led by HMS Sybil, who were trying to take the payroll of the Continental Army."

So you see, without a full scale invasion of Britain, the only way the collonies could get independance was by the Kings Signiture on a document saying he concures.

signed or unsigned.. it was our to take.. we took it.

Sorry to be the first to explain this to you. It doesnt sound like you know much about the historical roots of your nation. thats a great shame :unsure-1:

Actually I know a good deal.. but I don't look at my countries history through rose colored glasses like you seem to.

VCURamFan
08-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Dave, you can nitpick over whatever technicalities you want, but the long & the short of it is that when Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown, we won our freedom. It doesn't matter how long it took your King to realize that he'd been beat. Even if he never chose to sign that document, it wouldn't matter. From the July 4th, 1776, we were a free land & were fighting to throw off our oppressors.

The signing of a peace treaty isn't granting a victory, it's admitting defeat.

Tyburn
08-19-2010, 05:24 PM
The signing of a peace treaty isn't granting a victory, it's admitting defeat.

Yes...in exactly the way a tap out does for a submission victory.

The fight isnt over until then is it? You dont say the fight ended at the start of the round where victory was won!

You gain your freedom, when we admit defeat. When it is made public and when it is authorized that the conflict has come to a conclusion.

Tyburn
08-19-2010, 05:38 PM
1) On our shores.. that's exactly what we did.

2) Good thing you had the Americans helping you there right???

3) Although King George III personally wanted to fight on, his supporters lost control of Parliament, and no further major land offensives were launched in the American Theatre. A final naval battle was fought on March 10, 1783 off the coast of Cape Canaveral by Captain John Barry and his crew of the USS Alliance who defeated three British warships led by HMS Sybil, who were trying to take the payroll of the Continental Army."

signed or unsigned.. it was our to take.. we took it.

4) Actually I know a good deal.. but I don't look at my countries history through rose colored glasses like you seem to.

1) the reason exhile doesnt count is that it doesnt stop the owners reclaiming the land.

2) pity we didnt have you sooner actually, then you might have had a full share of the burden instead of just claiming more then your fair share of the spoils. :unsure-1:

Even then it was all about you. Had the Japenese not bombed Pearl Harbour, you'd have never entered the war at all. It didnt seem to bother you that your friends were pushed into the ocean...until you yourself were made a victim. You were fresh for the decision victory because you only started fighting in round three. We looked tiered and knackered because we fought twice as long, and lost obviously twice as many. No wonder you were the only people with any money left...where do you think we placed ours? maybe in the war we had been fighting from the start. Again, all this nice talk of Freedom, but Nazi Fascism didnt seem to bother your great nation until the fascists got round to actually attacking you personally....and who was it who pointed out the Communist threat to you? You listened to us the second time around, but by then the very person who talked about the iron curtain descending across Europe, had, in the very same conversation said the mantle of responsibility now fell to you, because we were done...and why were we done Spiritwalker? Where had all our money from our Glorious 300 odd year empire gone?...and which nation quite litterally stood back and let it happen, watched an entire generation of europeans die out for the second time that century??

Ohh dont worry...your Government had the cheek to send along a Bill for us to pay for your services during the war, just to add insult to injury...its the sort of thing several hundred years previous, we would have done. You evidently learned quickly :laugh:

3) Goat says not to trust Wiki...but interestingly enough...March 10th is my Birthday :laugh:

4) :blink: noone has EVER accused me of looking at America with rose tinted lenses before. Not Ever :blink:

Spiritwalker
08-19-2010, 06:06 PM
4) :blink: noone has EVER accused me of looking at America with rose tinted lenses before. Not Ever :blink:

I am not in this case either.. you refuse to admit your country lost that war.. Admit it.. just say it.

England lost. The States were free.

VCURamFan
08-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Yes...in exactly the way a tap out does for a submission victory.

The fight isnt over until then is it? You dont say the fight ended at the start of the round where victory was won!

You gain your freedom, when we admit defeat. When it is made public and when it is authorized that the conflict has come to a conclusion.
Right, but you don't say "Matt Hughes gained a victory at UFC 50 because GSP chose to publicly authorize a conclusion to the hostilities." :laugh:

Sure, the tap admits you lost & you were bested, allowing the fight to end without the utter humiliation of having your arm broken (coughcoughBIGTIMcoughcough). The tap is only allowing you to save face. Whether you tap or not, you've lost the fight. Period. End of story. No more equivocating.

Spiritwalker
08-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Right, but you don't say "Matt Hughes gained a victory at UFC 50 because GSP chose to publicly authorize a conclusion to the hostilities." :laugh:

Sure, the tap admits you lost & you were bested, allowing the fight to end without the utter humiliation of having your arm broken (coughcoughBIGTIMcoughcough). The tap is only allowing you to save face. Whether you tap or not, you've lost the fight. Period. End of story. No more equivocating.

+1 (and a bunch other others that will find no fault in this logic)

Tyburn
08-19-2010, 06:48 PM

:laugh: I see your sporting a nice addition to your siggie...that was quick :laugh:

that was supposed to be my belt :angry::laugh:

Tyburn
08-19-2010, 06:52 PM
I am not in this case either.. you refuse to admit your country lost that war.. Admit it.. just say it.

England lost. The States were free.

We did indeed lose the war. But the Declairation was published before the war began. We had not even STARTED the war at the point you claim you were free :laugh:

Miss Foxy
08-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Really who cares? Seriously we already have the Outback steakhouses and "A thunder from down under" male show in Las Vegas.. What are the Aussies good for? Oh and we have Aussie shampoo which I swore by in the early 90's!! :tongue0011:

adamt
08-19-2010, 07:06 PM
i didn't read everything but

just cause the redcoats said we weren't free didn't mean we weren't free, if in fact you believe that just cause we declared independence didn't mean we weren't independent

Spiritwalker
08-19-2010, 07:09 PM
We did indeed lose the war. But the Declairation was published before the war began. We had not even STARTED the war at the point you claim you were free :laugh:

Goofball...

the Declaration is what pretty much started the war. Your team didn't like it.. came to fight about it.. and lost.

Kinda blows doesn't it.

Tyburn
08-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Goofball...

the Declaration is what pretty much started the war. Your team didn't like it.. came to fight about it.. and lost.

Kinda blows doesn't it.

:laugh: Yes...and in 2009, I stood at the base of the Washington Monument in the pouring rain (actually it had stopped by then) approaching the guy who was obviously some sort of lift opporator with a copy of the DOI...and asked him if it was too late to get the Collonies back, I told him I would have come sooner, but Royal Mail is terribly slow, and traffic was awful.

He actually laughed :laugh:

...and then said no :mellow:

VCURamFan
08-20-2010, 04:16 PM
:laugh: Yes...and in 2009, I stood at the base of the Washington Monument in the pouring rain (actually it had stopped by then) approaching the guy who was obviously some sort of lift opporator with a copy of the DOI...and asked him if it was too late to get the Collonies back, I told him I would have come sooner, but Royal Mail is terribly slow, and traffic was awful.

He actually laughed :laugh:

...and then said no :mellow:
:happy0198: :happy0198: :happy0198: :happy0198: :happy0198:

Dave, that's hilarious!!!!

Tyburn
08-20-2010, 05:25 PM

Dave, that's hilarious!!!!

:laugh: I know!! :laugh: I think it started when I just said hello, and he recognised my accent and asked if I was from England...and as I was holding the DOI in my hand at the time...well a replica, obviously, it just...slipped out :ashamed: