PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade From Vista to WIN7

billwilliams70
08-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Besides backing up personal type files (graphics work, music, pictures) is there anything special I need to do before I do this?

Will I lose some programs on the computer that have been there since I got it (it's a little over a year old)? I like the Cyberlink DVD Suite 'cause it comes with the Lightscribe software to scribe images on DVDs.

Thanks in advance.

Later.

MattHughesRocks
08-17-2010, 01:58 AM
I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. There isn't anything special enough on Vista ( that I noticed when I got a new laptop with it) to change over unless your a gambling man :)

BUT...I'm not too bright about such things so please wait for more replies :laugh:

3dlee
08-17-2010, 02:17 AM
win 7 is just an upgraded and better vista. if youre upgrading, just incase something goes wrong, back up EVERYTHING to an external hard drive so you dont lose anything. Thats the only way to know. And with vista, its easy to do.:wink:

J.B.
08-17-2010, 02:33 AM
7 blows vista away IMO. I haven't had a single significant Windows problem on either my desktop or my laptop since I upgraded around January.

When you upgrade Windows should prompt you to save your old files/documents, but programs like that might have to be re-installed.

logrus
08-17-2010, 02:38 AM
Besides backing up personal type files (graphics work, music, pictures) is there anything special I need to do before I do this?

Will I lose some programs on the computer that have been there since I got it (it's a little over a year old)? I like the Cyberlink DVD Suite 'cause it comes with the Lightscribe software to scribe images on DVDs.

Thanks in advance.

Later.

Just remember to back it up the right way and not half ass it. The more stuff you have the more time backing up will take, so be prepared to spend a few hours up to a couple days depending on the size of your HD.

On upgrades programs that transfer over usually work, though depending on the program it might not be compatible with Win 7 yet. The same can also be said for hardware, but when upgrading Win 7 will check prior to installing for that issue.

For me I had an OEM not work when I switched over. So its possible.

logrus
08-17-2010, 02:42 AM
7 blows vista away IMO. I haven't had a single significant Windows problem on either my desktop or my laptop since I upgraded around January.

When you upgrade Windows should prompt you to save your old files/documents, but programs like that might have to be re-installed.

I am with you 110%, since I switched over in Feb I have been really happy with it.

Boomer
08-17-2010, 03:35 AM
Bill I did have a few software applications that are not working right after the upgrade. Mostly video editing and graphics software ..... But all in all it is a good upgrade.

billwilliams70
08-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, everything worked out just fine.

I backed up all of my files and such, but they were still there when I finished the upgrade.

Haven't found all the goodies and gadgets yet, but I'll get there.

Thanks for all the help and advice gang!

Later.