PDA

View Full Version : SPOILER War on the Mainland...

Adia
08-15-2010, 03:41 AM
Poor Jens :(

MattHughesRocks
08-15-2010, 03:45 AM
Oh.Shocker. SOB. He better quit for real! Where can I see this? Isn't Tim fighting too?

Poor Jens :(

adamt
08-15-2010, 03:47 AM
Oh.Shocker. SOB. He better quit for real! Where can I see this? Isn't Tim fighting too?

my results say he won

Adia
08-15-2010, 03:49 AM
my results say he won

Your results are wrong. He got subbed in the first round. Dropped then subbed. I just watched it.

adamt
08-15-2010, 03:51 AM
Your results are wrong. He got subbed in the first round. Dropped then subbed. I just watched it.

i believe you

here is what i saw

i thought you were messing with tyburn :laugh:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/08/14/war-on-the-mainland-results-sylvia-vs-buentello-pulver-vs-ga/

MattHughesRocks
08-15-2010, 03:52 AM
This is what I'm looking at.Just refresh.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/20275/war-on-the-mainland-play-by-play-and-live-results.mma

Adia
08-15-2010, 03:52 AM
i believe you

here is what i saw

i thought you were messing with tyburn :laugh:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/08/14/war-on-the-mainland-results-sylvia-vs-buentello-pulver-vs-ga/

haha, no, Jens loses so much, mocking his fight record became a bit of a hobby and got old. I've taken up model airplane building instead :)

adamt
08-15-2010, 04:10 AM
haha, no, Jens loses so much, mocking his fight record became a bit of a hobby and got old. I've taken up model airplane building instead :)

i haven't ever liked him particularly

i am/was a big MFS guy but the first thing i heard was "lil evil" and it's hard for me to get behind somebody who is proud of and claiming to be evil

adamt
08-15-2010, 04:10 AM
This is what I'm looking at.Just refresh.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/20275/war-on-the-mainland-play-by-play-and-live-results.mma

thanks!!

but i think i am going to tucker out before timmy fights

but i do like horwich!!!:laugh::frantics:

Adia
08-15-2010, 04:12 AM
i haven't ever liked him particularly

i am/was a big MFS guy but the first thing i heard was "lil evil" and it's hard for me to get behind somebody who is proud of and claiming to be evil

Well I'm in no position to laud my piety above any other person, so I won't criticize Jens, but he had his day and that day was long before I was born, so it's time to move on to something that he can be successful at, for one, he's a great commentator. I'd like to see him move onto something productive, it must be terribly embarrassing to keep facing losses like this...

bj44
08-15-2010, 04:16 AM
He needs to retire hes making a joke of his legacy and i hate to say that cuss i was a big jens fan

MattHughesRocks
08-15-2010, 04:24 AM
Timmy may tucker out before his fight....we shall see :laugh:
thanks!!

but i think i am going to tucker out before timmy fights

but i do like horwich!!!:laugh::frantics:

Adia
08-15-2010, 04:31 AM
Timmy may tucker out before his fight....we shall see :laugh:

nothing a clean pair of shorts can't fix lol

MattHughesRocks
08-15-2010, 04:33 AM
We are going to get into trouble :laugh:

Adia
08-15-2010, 04:34 AM
We are going to get into trouble :laugh:

Oh I'm certain a nuclear stage 5 meltdown is brewing across the pond. I'm sleeping in the bunker tonight :D

Vizion
08-15-2010, 04:38 AM
Jens.............................................. .............:cry:

What ever happened to the old expression "you should quit while you're ahead"?

He's a great guy, and has a great heart, but I swear there's something about fighting after awhile that just makes you too soft...Chuck Liddell is another example.

I hope Tim takes this.

Adia
08-15-2010, 04:41 AM

He's a great guy, and has a great heart, but I swear there's something about fighting after awhile that just makes you too soft...Chuck Liddell is another example.

I hope Tim takes this.

me too, otherwise his self imposed "legend" status on twitter might be called into question :wacko:

Vizion
08-15-2010, 04:44 AM
me too, otherwise his self imposed "legend" status on twitter might be called into question :wacko: Yea, not sure I'd agree with his "self-assessment" :laugh:

Adia
08-15-2010, 04:46 AM
Yea, not sure I'd agree with his "self-assessment" :laugh:

He's also trying to get on Shaq Vs. so there's hope for a secondary career in the 'biz :D

And he works at the local police station....:scared0015:

sunshine_jkd
08-15-2010, 05:00 AM
...this is upsetting. I have always been a big fan of Jens Pulver. As a fighter and how he comes off as a person. Kind of heartbreaking.

Adia
08-15-2010, 05:02 AM
holy cow, the pigtailed kid just beat Jason Lambert...

MattHughesRocks
08-15-2010, 05:08 AM
Oh, now Shane and Todd are going to be pissed off.These fighter need to stop letting our people down! :angry:

holy cow, the pigtailed kid just beat Jason Lambert...

Max
08-15-2010, 05:41 AM
Am i the only one who thinks that maybe someone at Pulver's camp should teach him how to defend a Guillotine Choke. What Trigg is to RNC's Jens is to Guillotines.

Neezar
08-15-2010, 05:51 AM
How tall are you again?

Adia
08-15-2010, 05:56 AM
yay Timmeh! Jab jab jabbed his way to another W!

bj44
08-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Tim just beat a guy who was just in the UFC... He deserves another shot... Or atleast a look from strikforce.... Im not even a Tim fan just stating the truth!

Adia
08-15-2010, 06:01 AM
Tim just beat a guy who was just in the UFC... He deserves another shot... Or atleast a look from strikforce.... Im not even a Tim fan just stating the truth!
He's fighting Rizzo next. That's the way to get back into the UFC. :huh:

MattHughesRocks
08-15-2010, 06:01 AM
:party0006:

Adia
08-15-2010, 06:02 AM
I'm going to bed in the bunker before Dave wakes up and realizes that at least my washed up hero won tonight lol. Night folks!

MattHughesRocks
08-15-2010, 06:04 AM
Yikes! Me too! :scared0011:

J.B.
08-15-2010, 06:56 AM

I am sorry, but I can't resist.....

CHAEL SONNEN

J.B.
08-15-2010, 06:59 AM

Ray Mercer > Paul Buentello

3dlee
08-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Wow. Sorry, Dave :( Keep your chin up, bro. Jens is only one win away from the confidence and drive that I feel he needs. Remember when Matt was on his 2 fight losing his skid talk of retirement was coming from everywhere, including himself. But after the Serra win he has looked better than even before. People dont usually do things that they arent good at. If Jens feels like the ground game is his weakness and he gets tapped by white belts, then hes probably not practicing it much. He needs a good solid victory against SOMEBODY to get back on track. I dont think he needs to retire, I think he needs take the next 9-12 months, grab a gi and a pair of wrestling shoes and start learning some fundamentals.

On a side note, the only real Jens diss you are going to hear from me, how did a guy coming out of the same camp that has spawned such wrestlers and submission artists and Lawler, Hughes, Horn, Fisher, make it out of there without much skill in this area? When everyone else was wrestling and train jitz was he just punching heavy bags? :punch: :unsure-1: :huh:

Play The Man
08-15-2010, 08:34 AM
He needs to retire hes making a joke of his legacy and i hate to say that cuss i was a big jens fan

I don't think he is thinking of a fight legacy. He is a father of a young child. This is his job. He is making money for his family the only way he knows how. Although he has a degree of fame, I don't think he ever pulled down the kind of money of a Chuck Liddell. I feel bad for him but I still have a lot of respect for him. Fighting isn't an ego trip for him. He is fighting to provide for his wife and kid. He is literally taking a beating to put food on the table. I hope he can make a living with coaching and announcing. :sad:

Buc Nasty
08-15-2010, 08:41 AM

It sucks seeing him lose but submissions won't be doing him damage like the KO's Chuck has had. Chuck needs to stop.

Blade
08-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Don't worry Dave, it was all BJ Penn's fault, he taught him all the wrong things on submission defence on purpose.

Neezar
08-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Well I'm in no position to laud my piety above any other person, so I won't criticize Jens, but he had his day and that day was long before I was born, so it's time to move on to something that he can be successful at, for one, he's a great commentator. I'd like to see him move onto something productive, it must be terribly embarrassing to keep facing losses like this...

:laugh: That made me laugh.

(hush. It is early. lol)

Neezar
08-15-2010, 12:50 PM
:sad: I am sorry, Dave.

Neezar
08-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Yay Tim, though. :punch:

Tyburn
08-15-2010, 01:43 PM
:cry: this is horrible :cry:

Tyburn
08-15-2010, 01:48 PM
On a side note, the only real Jens diss you are going to hear from me, how did a guy coming out of the same camp that has spawned such wrestlers and submission artists and Lawler, Hughes, Horn, Fisher, make it out of there without much skill in this area? When everyone else was wrestling and train jitz was he just punching heavy bags? :punch: :unsure-1: :huh:
No. His academic background is Wrestling NOT Striking :blink: What you see is more preference then lack of ability I reckon.

bj44
08-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Ray Mercer > Paul Buentello

kimbo slice> Ray mercer>Tim sylvia>Brandon Vera> Frank Mir>Big Nog>Fabricio Werdum>Fedor

so Kimbo>fedor

J.B.
08-15-2010, 03:42 PM
kimbo slice> Ray mercer>Tim sylvia>Brandon Vera> Frank Mir>Big Nog>Fabricio Werdum>Fedor

so Kimbo>fedor

Exactly. :laugh:

Adia
08-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Exactly. :laugh:

oh how I have missed MMA math. This one was particularly good lol.

On another note, I know he's trying to support his family, but clearly, fighting for this promotion is NOT going to put food on the table. After paying for training and travel and all of the other costs associated with a fight, could he really have made anything more than he would have made training fighters or, heaven forbid, getting a 9-5 somewhere? Those who hate on Timmeh all they want can at least give him credit for getting a job at the police station...I like to think it's to feed his ego, but it's also a paycheque when Joe Silva isn't calling. Commentating could be lucrative for Jens, considering the ridiculously bad commentating we get from Joe and Goldie (I swear, you could make a sound board with their most common sayings and commentate an entire event just by pushing the buttons), so there's hope for him, but the argument that he has to fight to make a living is silly when there are many fight related occupations that won't lead to fighter's dementia and repeated humiliation by defeat from a most basic of moves, all for the sake of a few bucks at a tiny venue.

Just my two cents.

J.B.
08-15-2010, 04:19 PM
oh how I have missed MMA math. This one was particularly good lol.

On another note, I know he's trying to support his family, but clearly, fighting for this promotion is NOT going to put food on the table. After paying for training and travel and all of the other costs associated with a fight, could he really have made anything more than he would have made training fighters or, heaven forbid, getting a 9-5 somewhere? Those who hate on Timmeh all they want can at least give him credit for getting a job at the police station...I like to think it's to feed his ego, but it's also a paycheque when Joe Silva isn't calling. Commentating could be lucrative for Jens, considering the ridiculously bad commentating we get from Joe and Goldie (I swear, you could make a sound board with their most common sayings and commentate an entire event just by pushing the buttons), so there's hope for him, but the argument that he has to fight to make a living is silly when there are many fight related occupations that won't lead to fighter's dementia and repeated humiliation by defeat from a most basic of moves, all for the sake of a few bucks at a tiny venue.

Just my two cents.

Wait a minute....

Tim Sylvia is a police officer? This is news to JB.

Please don't tell me he is a dispatcher. :laugh:

Adia
08-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Wait a minute....

Tim Sylvia is a police officer? This is news to JB.

Please don't tell me he is a dispatcher. :laugh:

Yeah he got the job a long while ago. Shaq is his hero, so he followed in his footsteps :) Imagine getting pulled over by those mutton chops lol

J.B.
08-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah he got the job a long while ago. Shaq is his hero, so he followed in his footsteps :) Imagine getting pulled over by those mutton chops lol

Shaq should be everybody's hero. Just look at him. :laugh:

Too bad Sheriff Joe took away his deputy status after his little Kobe Bryant rap. Shaq is a great American, that was a sad day. :sad:

If Tim Sylvia pulled me over I would laugh. I would be like...hey, you were the HW champ, what teh hell are u doing here? :laugh:

flo
08-16-2010, 05:23 AM
I don't think he is thinking of a fight legacy. He is a father of a young child. This is his job. He is making money for his family the only way he knows how. Although he has a degree of fame, I don't think he ever pulled down the kind of money of a Chuck Liddell. I feel bad for him but I still have a lot of respect for him. Fighting isn't an ego trip for him. He is fighting to provide for his wife and kid. He is literally taking a beating to put food on the table. I hope he can make a living with coaching and announcing. :sad:

I feel just the same way only I couldn't have put it as well.

Adia
08-16-2010, 05:41 AM
Shaq should be everybody's hero. Just look at him. :laugh:

Too bad Sheriff Joe took away his deputy status after his little Kobe Bryant rap. Shaq is a great American, that was a sad day. :sad:

If Tim Sylvia pulled me over I would laugh. I would be like...hey, you were the HW champ, what teh hell are u doing here? :laugh:

I would be like 'Hey Tim, weren't you supposed to give that belt back?" lol

Tyburn
08-16-2010, 02:09 PM
I feel just the same way only I couldn't have put it as well.

He's often said that he missed the long amatuer and professional MMA career BEFORE getting the LWC where it would have been alright to have made mistakes and been able to learn from them with a slower progression. I dont think fame, or some legacy is much of a concern for him. He feels he has his Legacy as a pioneer of the lower weight classes in MMA, a testiment to the fact we now have WEC dedicated to nothing above 155lbs, he feels like he reached the top, because he held and defended multiple times his title in the premier at 155lbs, he started fighting before it was even a legitamized weight division, and he is happy to have made History that noone can equal, bar the Lightweight Champion who is around hopefully many decades into the future when the company eventually collapses or fragments. In otherwords, the last LWC, where he was the first.

I think he fights on for two reasons. First, I dont think he knows how not to. I think he feels too young to just train and coach others, although hopefully that is a role he will grow into over the years as his camp developes, I think there is, somewhere the though in the back of his mind, of what retirement did to his Father...lets face it, during his career, his Father wasnt anywhere near as badly behaved...it was the inability to cope afterwards I think that pushed him over the edge, finally, I believe him when he says he doesnt have a lot of money, not enough to sit back and do nothing for...maybe as long as sixty years...I think he also wants to gain a win...I think he just wants to know, even if he retires straight after, that its still possible for him to succeed...then he will maybe feel like he has CHOSEN retirement, more then he's been FORCED to retire, however much an illusion that maybe

I dont care about his record. I feel bad for him because I know he will feel sad because he lost. I empathize with him, but I dont pity him, and I'm not about to go kill myself because Jens Pulver keeps failing to win...His ability to win...infact even his ability to fight lost its importance on me along time ago...I think I cared about that Pre-TUF.

I remember his re-debut in The UFC, and me and Miss Jenn were talking online, on MSN whilst waiting for the play by play results to appear on sherdog, as Jens was fighting. She refreshed and got the result first and just said "ohh davey, dont look dearest" I'll never forget that...tears were streaming down my face, I thought the end of the whole world had come...we talked for a very long time, I must have been dreadful. I admit I also shed a tear after Pulver/Penn 2 but that was not because he lost, but because of who he lost too. But other then those...I may have been a little depressive for the day...but its not mattered so much because I value the man over the fighter...and since meeting and communicating with him online...well its kind of been a non issue to me :laugh: the sum of a man is much more then the record of the fighter :)

Llamafighter
08-16-2010, 02:43 PM

so Kimbo>fedor

oh my gosh :scared0015:
:laugh:

Adia
08-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Sigh.

Tim has a fight coming up with Pedro Rizzo...then he's rumored to be fighting Hong Man Choi for Moosin.

But he just found out that Nog pulled out of the Mir fight and he called his manager to beg..I mean ask Dana to let him fight.

Yikes.

J.B.
08-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Sigh.

Tim has a fight coming up with Pedro Rizzo...then he's rumored to be fighting Hong Man Choi for Moosin.

But he just found out that Nog pulled out of the Mir fight and he called his manager to beg..I mean ask Dana to let him fight.

Yikes.

Mir is fighting Cro Cop I believe...

Adia
08-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Mir is fighting Cro Cop I believe...

Indeed. Tim lives off the info he gets from his twitter-tards...he has no idea about CC despite it being all over the interwebs I guess. I just can't see him getting a UFC shot any time soon. He shot his mouth off pretty bad when they parted ways...and he's not really an asset to the UFC, it's not like he's likely to pull some big upset..

J.B.
08-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Indeed. Tim lives off the info he gets from his twitter-tards...he has no idea about CC despite it being all over the interwebs I guess. I just can't see him getting a UFC shot any time soon. He shot his mouth off pretty bad when they parted ways...and he's not really an asset to the UFC, it's not like he's likely to pull some big upset..

I don't remember all of what was said, but I agree that I don't see him getting a shot at this point either. Wins over Pudz and Buentello are not enough to overcome his last few performances in the UFC and of course the loss to Fedor and especially Mercer.

Adia
08-16-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't remember all of what was said, but I agree that I don't see him getting a shot at this point either. Wins over Pudz and Buentello are not enough to overcome his last few performances in the UFC and of course the loss to Fedor and especially Mercer.

Oh I remember...lol he cried and moaned about the disparity in pay between himself and Brock Lesnar...it was captured before it could be deleted and was on every mma site within hours. He's racking up wins which is good for his self confidence, but it's doing nothing for his overall calibre. He needs to set his sights on something realistic like Strikeforce, which still means a paycheque on a bigger stage than he's had lately, some international exposure and possible expansion of his fan base (because fans buy tickets donchaknow) but at 34, he's not in line to become the next Randy Couture, especially given his difficulty with cutting to heavyweight. He fought hard to get to 274 and that was dehydration weight as he lost about 12 lbs right before the weigh ins.

I dunno...you want to feel good about him succeeding, but you want to tell him "don't quit your day job" either.

J.B.
08-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Oh I remember...lol he cried and moaned about the disparity in pay between himself and Brock Lesnar...it was captured before it could be deleted and was on every mma site within hours. He's racking up wins which is good for his self confidence, but it's doing nothing for his overall calibre. He needs to set his sights on something realistic like Strikeforce, which still means a paycheque on a bigger stage than he's had lately, some international exposure and possible expansion of his fan base (because fans buy tickets donchaknow) but at 34, he's not in line to become the next Randy Couture, especially given his difficulty with cutting to heavyweight. He fought hard to get to 274 and that was dehydration weight as he lost about 12 lbs right before the weigh ins.

I dunno...you want to feel good about him succeeding, but you want to tell him "don't quit your day job" either.

Tim isn't a bad fighter, and I think he could still put on some good fights against top competition if he gets a fire lit under his ass, but ya gotta wonder if he has any of that drive left or if he's just going through the motions to stay active and collect some paychecks. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Tim fight in the UFC again, I'm just not sure how realistic it is at this point.

Adia
08-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Tim isn't a bad fighter, and I think he could still put on some good fights against top competition if he gets a fire lit under his ass, but ya gotta wonder if he has any of that drive left or if he's just going through the motions to stay active and collect some paychecks. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Tim fight in the UFC again, I'm just not sure how realistic it is at this point.

agreed. He's definitely coming off as far more humbled than he has previously (thank goodness!) and he does work hard, but he has other priorities like the cop job, his hunting business and of course, the gf. He's got his iron in many fires and fighting is the payday, in my estimation. He flubs the weight in between fights and heads into jelly roll territory, only to start cutting again when I believe it's too late. When he's training, he eats well and he doesn't drink any measurable alcohol, but I think he should make the best out of the rest of his career, realistically knowing he's not going to be the one to take down Brock or something equally silly.