PDA

View Full Version : Noted MMA trainerís skills save him from suspected serial killer in home invasion

rockdawg21
08-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Anybody remember this story? Turns out one of the guys he beat up is a suspected serial killer.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Noted+trainer+skills+save+from+suspected+serial+ki ller+home+invasion/3315619/story.html
Noted MMA trainer’s skills save him from suspected serial killer in home invasion

By Chris Parry, Vancouver Sun July 23, 2010

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/3315620.bin
MMA fighter and trainer Lloyd Irvin.

A noted mixed martial arts instructor/trainer is thankful for the training he has received after utilizing jiu-jitsu, combat sambo, judo and defensive gun techniques to turn the tables on a pair of gunmen during an early morning home invasion in suburban Maryland in October 2008.

Now, it turns out, one of his assailants is a suspected serial killer.

With his wife, son and UFC fighter Brandon Vera asleep elsewhere in the house, Lloyd Irvin was awoken on his couch at 4:30 a.m. on Oct. 4, 2008 to find a pair of strangers pointing guns at him and asking where his wife was.

Irvin, a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and national judo champion, led the gunmen upstairs towards his bedroom where his wife was sleeping, and turned on one of the men, grabbing the gun and removing the ammunition clip in one motion.

"I was able to make the cartridge come out," Irvin told WUSA9 TV. "I was able to take the gun from the guy, and once I got the gun from him, he ran out."

The man currently under arrest, who is being held on federal gun charges while he is investigated for an unrelated murder, is now being called a suspected serial killer by Prince George County, Md., police chief Robert Hylton.

Hylton has told local media that additional murder charges could be handed down as soon as next week. Reports indicate at least five deaths are being investigated in the case.

The serial killings involved an individual targeting mothers and daughters who lived together.

Irvin, who fought in Vale Tudo (no holds barred) contests as far back as 1996, has trained many fighters who have gone on to international stardom in the UFC and other MMA promotions, including one-time title contender Vera and light heavyweight Phil Davis.

cparry@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Irish Pride
08-12-2010, 03:11 AM
Wow that's pretty scary.

County Mike
08-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Booyah! He and Roger Huerta should start a crime fighting business.

rearnakedchoke
08-13-2010, 04:58 AM
damn, i remember that ... good for him ...