PDA

View Full Version : NEW WELTERWEIGHT RANKINGS 8/11/10

Llamafighter
08-11-2010, 01:12 PM
I know Matt could care less but looks like MMA weekly decided ot give Matt some credit.
MMA WEEKLY
WELTERWEIGHT DIVISION (170-pound limit)

#1 Welterweight Fighter in the World: Georges St-Pierre

2. Jon Fitch

3. Josh Koscheck

4. Thiago Alves

5. Paul Daley

6. Nick Diaz

7. Martin Kampmann

8. Matt Hughes

9. Paulo Thiago

10. Dan Hardy
Sherdog however...SERIOUSLY
Welterweight

1. Georges St. Pierre (20-2)
With Josh Koscheck’s May 8 win over Paul Daley, St. Pierre’s next title defense was set. But before he meets Koscheck in a rematch of their August 2007 encounter, the two welterweights will square off as opposing coaches on the 12th season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” with a very convenient and apparent good guy-bad guy dynamic.

2. Jon Fitch (23-3, 1 NC)
Fitch finally met Thiago Alves in their long-anticipated rematch. However, there was little flair in what transpired. The workmanlike Fitch wore down Alves with strong takedowns and great positional control en route to a unanimous decision verdict that might put him on the doorstep of another UFC welterweight title shot.

3. Thiago Alves (16-7)
Alves waited more than four years for a rematch with Jon Fitch. However, his struggle and eventual failure to make weight, coupled with his one-sided loss, has many -- UFC President Dana White included -- pushing Alves to move to middleweight in the future. Alves quickly enlisted fighter-cum-nutritional guru Mike Dolce, hoping he will get one more chance to get his weight in check.

4. Dan Hardy (23-7, 1 NC)
His lopsided loss to Georges St. Pierre in March is now a distant memory. “The Outlaw” will get back into the saddle this fall, as the Octagon heads back to England for UFC 120 on Oct. 16 in London. There, Hardy will take on fellow welterweight contender Carlos Condit in what should be a high-action affair.

5. Josh Koscheck (15-4)
With high stakes -- a UFC welterweight title shot and a coaching stint opposite Georges St. Pierre on “The Ultimate Fighter 12” -- up for grabs, Koscheck dominated Paul Daley for 15 minutes on the floor en route to a unanimous decision victory at UFC 113. After blocking a post-fight sucker punch from Daley and taunting the Montreal crowd, Koscheck cemented himself as one of MMA’s premiere heels and set in place the groundwork for the build-up to his rematch with St. Pierre.

6. Martin Kampmann (17-3)
In June, Kampmann put on perhaps the most impressive performance of his career, sweeping the cards in a one-sided decision win over Paulo Thiago. Now, Denmark’s top MMA export will get the tall task of welcoming former Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields to the Octagon at UFC 121 on Oct. 23.

7. Paulo Thiago (13-2)
Following a tough, one-sided decision loss to Martin Kampmann at UFC 115 in June, Thiago will have the chance to end 2010 on a high note. The Brazilian will take on Diego Sanchez at UFC 121 on Oct. 23 in Anaheim.

8. Paul Daley (24-9-2)
Daley’s sucker punch incident with Josh Koscheck, which got him ousted from the UFC in Montreal, will cost him a 30-day suspension from the Quebec commission. The perfunctory punishment will not interfere with the next bout for “Semtex,” as the British banger will meet Jorge Masvidal at Shark Fights 13 on Sept. 11 in Amarillo, Texas.

9. Nick Diaz (22-7, 1 ND)
Diaz did not make it easy on himself -- he seldom does -- but after overcoming early offense from Hayato “Mach” Sakurai, he took home a victory over the Japanese veteran with a first-round armbar on May 29. Now the question becomes who Strikeforce will pair the Cesar Gracie product with in his first welterweight title defense.

10. Mike Swick (14-4)
Coming off a disappointing decision loss to Dan Hardy in November, Swick’s bout with Paulo Thiago at UFC 109 left him in even worse shape. He was choked unconscious in the second round and pushed further back in the UFC welterweight title picture.

Other contenders: Ben Askren, Carlos Condit, John Hathaway, Jay Hieron, Dan Hornbuckle.
How did Matt fall off the Honorable Mention even????
and SWICK???

Miss Foxy
08-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Oh my stars the only one worthy on that list are GSP :unsure: Ugg, MATT, and Nick.. However as much as I like Nick he wouldn't last 1 round with Matt or GSP... Fitch never has caliber performance ( I do like him jus' saying), blah blah...

BamaGrits84
08-11-2010, 04:13 PM
I would do almost anything to get to see Matt kick Nick's butt and then after the fight see Nate pop off to Mark and Mark kick his butt. I'm just saying...a girl can dream right?

Miss Foxy
08-11-2010, 04:14 PM
I would do almost anything to get to see Matt kick Nick's butt and then after the fight see Nate pop off to Mark and Mark kick his butt. I'm just saying...a girl can dream right?

lol!! I would love to see Mark kick Nate D's butt too, but I like Nick!! However if he has or ever has talked about Matt and I find out he's written off my list!! :punch:

BamaGrits84
08-11-2010, 04:16 PM
lol!! I would love to see Mark kick Nate D's butt too, but I like Nick!! However if he has or ever has talked about Matt and I find out he's written off my list!! :punch:

Nate kind of sort of did on a tweet. He put something about Richardo beating Matt. I replied "that smoking has really gotten to your brain. WAR HUGHES!"

Miss Foxy
08-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Nate kind of sort of did on a tweet. He put something about Richardo beating Matt. I replied "that smoking has really gotten to your brain. WAR HUGHES!"

That ugly f*cker better watch it.... Oops sorry for my english words :unsure-1:.. He's not too far from me and I will roll up and find him!! :w00t: You go girl!! Don't mess with Mr. Hughes stupid pothead Diaz boy!

BamaGrits84
08-11-2010, 04:20 PM
That ugly f*cker better watch it.... Oops sorry for my english words :unsure-1:.. He's not too far from me and I will roll up and find him!! :w00t:

I'm pretty sure if you follow the smoke you could! :laugh:

logrus
08-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Thiago Alves is number 3 or 4? The dude has just come off of his second straight loss and has not won a fight since 08. Throw into that mix 2 failed attempts at making weight and busted for roids. Those guys can pound that ranking up the u know what...

BamaGrits84
08-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Thiago Alves is number 3 or 4? The dude has just come off of his second straight loss and has not won a fight since 08. Throw into that mix 2 failed attempts at making weight and busted for roids. Those guys can pound that ranking up the u know what...

He texted Dana and apologized after the fight and said something about being better or making it up and Dana said "yeah at 185" and Alves said no i want to fight at 170. I'm guessing Dana will win.

rearnakedchoke
08-11-2010, 05:03 PM
don't know why swick is on that list ... or paul daley ... even paulo thiago being totally outclassed in his last fight should be off the list ...

County Mike
08-11-2010, 05:07 PM

Just to set the record straight, he wasn't busted for roids. He was busted for a diarhetic that is only banned because it's often used to mask steroid use in the tests. Most likely, he was taking it to help cut weight.

I still don't think he belongs hear the top of the rankings anymore though. Neither does Dan Hardy but who am I to question the "experts"?

BamaGrits84
08-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Just to set the record straight, he wasn't busted for roids. He was busted for a diarhetic that is only banned because it's often used to mask steroid use in the tests. Most likely, he was taking it to help cut weight.

I still don't think he belongs hear the top of the rankings anymore though. Neither does Dan Hardy but who am I to question the "experts"?

Yeah those idiots in DC are supposed to be "experts" too. :laugh:

logrus
08-11-2010, 05:13 PM

To be honest I think he took it to actually mask steroid use as well as try to make cut while keeping all muscle mass. I know a couple users who say there is better fat burning roids then Dia, and when they look at Alv he looks like a user.

Definately has not done anything in the past 3 yrs to deserve to be that high on the list. Same with Swick, 2 straight loses and still top 10, R U kidding me...

Llamafighter
08-11-2010, 05:56 PM
To be honest I think he took it to actually mask steroid use as well as try to make cut while keeping all muscle mass. I know a couple users who say there is better fat burning roids then Dia, and when they look at Alv he looks like a user.

Definately has not done anything in the past 3 yrs to deserve to be that high on the list. Same with Swick, 2 straight loses and still top 10, R U kidding me...

Sherdog has some sort of beef with Matt. I'm considering not checking out their site anymore. it's tough because they have great info most of the time.
their rankings are always effed tho.

rockdawg21
08-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Sherdog is racist

VCURamFan
08-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Sherdog is racist
No, they're just pompous.

rearnakedchoke
08-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Sherdog is racist

against which race?

County Mike
08-11-2010, 07:28 PM
against which race?

Farmers

Blade
08-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Forrest Griffin as the No.5 Light-Heavyweight was also rather strange aswell, he's nowhere near the top 10.

Bonnie
08-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Farmers

:laugh:

Llamafighter
08-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Forrest Griffin as the No.5 Light-Heavyweight was also rather strange aswell, he's nowhere near the top 10.

ugh oh....:scared0015:

:blink:here comes Michelle

Spiritwalker
08-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Sherdog is one of the best comedic sites on the 'net.. hands down better than most..

only the Strongbad emails found at Home Star Runner are funnier...

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html

Llamafighter
08-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Sherdog is one of the best comedic sites on the 'net.. hands down better than most..

only the Strongbad emails found at Home Star Runner are funnier...

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html

YES!

Tyburn
08-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Sherdog is anti-Christian. It is anti-Faith all together, its forums are utter tripe, they, apart from size and infermy have nothing of substance nor composition. a Cahcophany of keyboard warriors, too many in number with no real leadership or direction. Home to the internets most vile of Mixed Martial Arts Trolls, prone to mass hystery via hype bandwagons that roll through and then usually break apart producing idle fickle and fairweather fans who are lower then TUF noobs in knowledge and a lot less creative with their applied support.

The Underground is everso slightly better, made so via fighter endorsement, some of the more responsive fighters will post on the Underground. MMAWeekly, is probably the better of the three, maybe the smallest, but it is probably akin to the spared Zoar, whereas Sherdog is Sodom, and the Underground Gemorrah and both are destined to be nothing but pits of bitterly and over argued uncivilized and uneducated points of view, thurst across cyberspace in the most deplorable barbarism imagined on a forums noticeboard.

flo
08-11-2010, 08:19 PM
It boggles the mind. Matt could beat any one of those people, he deserves to be in the top 3. IMO, he would have to overcome the mental block of being 1-2 against GSP but perhaps that bugaboo doesn't bother him - in which case he certainly has the ability to even out that record. Since his striking has become even more effective there is no element lacking in his MMA skills (except maybe nipple-tweaking, Rashad can give him pointers on that if needed).

Obviously, Matt will just have to beat those people before the MMA chattering class is forced to acknowledge his position in the sport.

Blade
08-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Sherdog is anti-Christian. It is anti-Faith all together, its forums are utter tripe, they, apart from size and infermy have nothing of substance nor composition. a Cahcophany of keyboard warriors, too many in number with no real leadership or direction.

Errrmm it's a sports website, not Sunday School, so why does it need to have anything to do with Christianity or faith? Who cares? :huh: And actually Thighburn I find the Sherdog forums funny. :w00t:

TexasRN
08-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Sherdog is anti-Christian. It is anti-Faith all together, its forums are utter tripe, they, apart from size and infermy have nothing of substance nor composition. a Cahcophany of keyboard warriors, too many in number with no real leadership or direction. Home to the internets most vile of Mixed Martial Arts Trolls, prone to mass hystery via hype bandwagons that roll through and then usually break apart producing idle fickle and fairweather fans who are lower then TUF noobs in knowledge and a lot less creative with their applied support.

The Underground is everso slightly better, made so via fighter endorsement, some of the more responsive fighters will post on the Underground. MMAWeekly, is probably the better of the three, maybe the smallest, but it is probably akin to the spared Zoar, whereas Sherdog is Sodom, and the Underground Gemorrah and both are destined to be nothing but pits of bitterly and over argued uncivilized and uneducated points of view, thurst across cyberspace in the most deplorable barbarism imagined on a forums noticeboard.

I am SOOO posting this on Sherdog.

just kidding. :laugh: That's a hilarious write up about them, Dave.

~Amy

Llamafighter
08-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Errrmm it's a sports website, not Sunday School, so why does it need to have anything to do with Christianity or faith? Who cares? :huh: And actually Thighburn I find the Sherdog forums funny. :w00t:

They have a radio program called MMA Sunday School :huh:

Blade
08-11-2010, 08:36 PM
They have a radio program called MMA Sunday School :huh:

So?

Llamafighter
08-11-2010, 08:49 PM

So?

:huh:

Blade
08-11-2010, 08:56 PM
:huh:

"Sunday school" is the generic name for many different types of religious education pursued on Sundays by various denominations.

Llamafighter
08-11-2010, 09:07 PM
"Sunday school" is the generic name for many different types of religious education pursued on Sundays by various denominations.

I know what "Sunday School is. :laugh:

Blade
08-11-2010, 09:08 PM
I know what "Sunday School is. :laugh:

Then wtf are you talking about?

Tyburn
08-11-2010, 10:18 PM

I didnt say it needed to be about christianity of faith...but as 80% of the planet believe in some form of religion...Sherdog should be respectful of it...The fact is they really dont have much to pick on Matt Hughes about...so they go for something right dumb...like that...ohh the best one, was when someone on Youtube replied to my recap video and said that the reason noone likes Matt Hughes is because he was born in the country and had a farm :blink: WTF has that got to do with anything??? Thats like saying...I dont like anyone born in a city...or I dont like anyone who is a mechanical engineer...I mean honnestly. :rolleyes: at least have a decent reason to spout hate if you really must...dont be stupid...what next we dont like him...coz he's married? coz he lives in a house? because he wakes up every morning :laugh:

Tyburn
08-11-2010, 10:20 PM
I am SOOO posting this on Sherdog.

just kidding. :laugh: That's a hilarious write up about them, Dave.

~Amy

*Bows* Why thank you Madam :ashamed:

Blade
08-11-2010, 10:26 PM
I didnt say it needed to be about christianity of faith...but as 80% of the planet believe in some form of religion...Sherdog should be respectful of it...The fact is they really dont have much to pick on Matt Hughes about...so they go for something right dumb...like that...ohh the best one, was when someone on Youtube replied to my recap video and said that the reason noone likes Matt Hughes is because he was born in the country and had a farm :blink: WTF has that got to do with anything??? Thats like saying...I dont like anyone born in a city...or I dont like anyone who is a mechanical engineer...I mean honnestly. :rolleyes: at least have a decent reason to spout hate if you really must...dont be stupid...what next we dont like him...coz he's married? coz he lives in a house? because he wakes up every morning :laugh:

What's that got to do with Sherdog? Anyway, I'm off to read about UFC 118 on www.religioustolerance.org :tongue0011:

Tyburn
08-11-2010, 10:32 PM
What's that got to do with Sherdog? Anyway, I'm off to read about UFC 118 on www.religioustolerance.org :tongue0011:

I was revealing sherdogs true nature dear lad. :rolleyes:

Blade
08-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I was revealing sherdogs true nature dear lad. :rolleyes:

What has someone writing on your Youtube stuff got to do with Sherdog?

Tyburn
08-11-2010, 10:50 PM
What has someone writing on your Youtube stuff got to do with Sherdog?

:rolleyes: they are probably sherdoggers, :rolleyes: just like anyone reading this thread would think that is where YOU belong too :laugh: