PDA

View Full Version : My fight

annamal
08-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Ok, for anyone who cares, I've finally moved past my humiliation enough to let you know what happened during my fight.

The girl I was originally going to fight at 145, flaked out. I found out about this two weeks before the fight date. The promoter promised me he would do everything in his power to find someone else. Three and a half days before the fight I found out for sure that he'd found someone. He was bringing up a fighter from WA. He said she weighed 125 soaking wet though, and asked if I could cut to 135. I was walking at 145. I'd never cut before but I agreed to it. He said she was a ground fighter, like me, and she'd just won her first fight the weekend before.

I didn't really know much about how to cut weight. I ran the first five off doing 10 milers two days in a row. And starved and dehydrated the next five off for two days before weigh-ins. That really sucked. My scale was malfunctioning too, so that messed me up. Next time I'll have a better idea of what to do, and hopefully I won't have to cut so much at such short notice. I realize ten pounds is nothing to the big guys.

My friend who has been helping me with my strength and conditioning training drove up to Fairbanks with me. It's about a 7 hour drive. His 18 y/o son came with us and they were my cornermen. They know less about it than I do unfortunately. But I was thankful to have somebody. The promoter paid for our hotel, which was nice. We found where they were having weigh ins. It was very informal. No crowd. The fighters just came in, did their paperwork, and hopped onto a regular bathroom scale. Weird.

My opponent missed her plane and didn't make it in until the next morning. But nobody was to worried about her weight. Both my sisters and their families came up to watch my fight. It was nice to have the support but it also put alot of stress on me. We practised wrapping my hands in the hotel room before the fight. Neither of us had done it before. I wasn't really planning to trade with her though. I couldn't find any information out about her online, she wasn't listed on sherdog, fcfighter, or fightergirls. I don't know if I would have taken this fight if I hadn't been so desperate to fight after training for 3 months for the other girl.

When we got to the stadium, they gave us a paper with the card on it and all the fighters pics and stats. She was now listed as 2-0 and well rounded. In her pic she had two black eyes. I was relieved that she wasn't a "pretty" girl though, as neither am I, and the crowd always roots for the most pretty girl. Like it's a frickin beauty contest or something. One of the main event fights was canceled, so we ended up fighting in the next to last fight. We managed to get my hands wrapped. It looked like crap, but didn't feel to bad. My corner saw her warming up and said her stand up looked really good. We decided to stick with the original game plan which was to shoot for the double leg, get the mount, and ground and pound. Mainly because I don't know how to strike worth a darn.

I got in the cage first. The flooring was really soft. Like two inches of cushioning or something. Weird. It was covered in blood too. Gross. She came in and I thought "Oh s**t, this is going to hurt". She was ripped! She had a freaking six pack! She was in better condition than most of the male fighters. Someone told me later she could have beaten most of them too.:laugh: I believe it actually. I was really calm leading up to this fight. It was very strange. I didn't want to get all emotionally amped up like I did for my first fights four years ago. I thought because I'm a christian now that it wouldn't be christiany to get all angry and worked up. I think that's what did me in. Or at least contributed a great deal. Without the anger, the only thing left was fear. I won't make that mistake again.

The fight started. She threw first and we traded a bit. I was told later that I hit her pretty good a few times, but I don't remember making contact. She had very fast hands. She threw combos. I would see the first one or two strikes coming and then the explosions of white light would go off in my head and I wouldn't see any of the other punches. Not sure how we ended up on the ground. I suppose I got knocked down. She was on top, but I was able to control her pretty well so she couldn't do much ground and pound. I felt strong against her, and my conditioning was good. We were pretty stalemated I guess, I was just hanging on trying to clear my head, but then the ref stood us up. I think I got knocked down again. At one point I had the set up for a kimura from the guard, but I was afraid if I went for it and missed I would lose control and get pounded on some more. I could just kill myself now for not going for it. The round ended.

I realized at some point during the first round that I had lost vision in my right eye. I thought I'd been cut and gotten blood in it. I kept asking my corner what's wrong with my eye. He said "nothing". When I realized I wasn't bleeding into my eye, I got a little concerned. They asked if I wanted to keep going. What was I going to say? "no, I quit?" I had all these people come up to support me. I had my training partners and friends counting on me. There was a crowd of people that had paid to watch a good fight. I felt like I had to continue, even if I got beat down worse.

The second round started. She seemed hesitant to trade this time. That really confused me because it seemed to me like she'd done very well on her feet. She threw some leg kicks but I barely felt them through the adrenaline. I couldn't go for anything. I knew I should try and shoot, or strike, or something, but I just couldn't go for anything. It's like I froze up or something. I'm so frustrated with myself for that. I couldn't see most of her strikes when I had two good eyes, but now I didn't see any of them. Next thing I know I'm on the ground covering up, and the hits just keep coming and coming, seems like forever. I wasn't going to tap to strikes though. Somewhere near the end of the second round, the ref finally stops it.

Back in the locker room, I found that I couldn't close or open my jaw all the way. I was worried that it was broken, but by the next day it was back to normal. My whole face was swollen up, especially around my jaws, forehead and eyes. My vision came back mostly after the fight, it was still like looking through a cloud though. The next day it was back to normal as well. The EMT's said my pupils were different sizes and I had a concussion. They wanted me to go to the hospital, but I didn't need an ER bill. Besides one of my sisters is a nurse and her husband is probably the best EMT in the state. So I felt I'd be fine with them around.

My opponent came to check on me in the locker room. She was really nice. I couldn't say much to her though, as it was all I could do to maintain my composure. She told my cornerman that I was the first one to be able to hit her in a fight. Someone else told him she was pretty experienced. Maybe she had a lot of amateur fights or something, I don't know. I just know she was alot better than me.

We didn't go to the afterparty. Who wants to party after a humiliation like that. We went back to the hotel, and then out to eat. I didn't get black eyes, I got red eyes. It was really freaky looking. The skin around my eyes was the color of blood. I wore sunglasses for a week so I wouldn't scare anyone. The swelling lasted for about three days. When it finally went away I found that my nose was broken. It's finally feeling good enough that I think I might try some light grappling this week. Two things I learned from this: I need some experienced MMA coaches and I need to learn some striking before I get back in the cage. Someday I want to fight that girl again and show her what I can really do.

TexasRN
08-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Hey, you know what? There should be no humiliation from that. You got in there and competed and did your best, even if you froze a little. That's more than most people EVER do. Figure out your weak spots and find a coach who is good in that area of the game. Sounds like striking is a good place to start.

Please don't beat yourself up over it or feel humiliated. I'm in awe of you right now just for going through with it and going for the second round!

~Amy

Llamafighter
08-10-2010, 08:27 PM
You should be proud you got in there and fought at all. sounds like oyu were a real warrior , and none of us can say anything if we haven't went to battle. We're all proud of you for competing and most of all being able to acknowledge the places you came up short and constructively criticize your performance. Keep at it and we'll all continue to root for you!
:punch::punch:

Miss Foxy
08-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Don't feel humiliated.. Your being way too hard on yourself.. :wink:

Blade
08-10-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't know anything about weight-cutting but I'm pretty sure running 10 miles on 2 consecutive days is not the best way of doing it, that will have really drained you and taken a lot out of you and is bound to have had a negative effect on your performance. Don't be too hard on yourself though, like the others said you tried your best and I'm sure you will have learnt a lot from this and will come back stronger in the future.

Tyburn
08-10-2010, 09:44 PM
at least you got to fight :w00t: everyone loses sometimes :)

Dethbob
08-10-2010, 09:56 PM
I didn't want to get all emotionally amped up like I did for my first fights four years ago. I thought because I'm a christian now that it wouldn't be christiany to get all angry and worked up. I think that's what did me in. Or at least contributed a great deal. Without the anger, the only thing left was fear. I won't make that mistake again.

That's a very interesting observation; I had to turn that one over a few times. I've found that anger directed at an opponent tends to provide power only for a short time, then tends to actually tire me out faster over the long haul. I've found that a feeling like anger, but coming FROM a competitive streak rather than AT any particular thing provides a cleaner source of motivation and doesn't give an opponent something they can manipulate.

Chuck
08-11-2010, 04:56 AM
I thought because I'm a christian now that it wouldn't be christiany to get all angry and worked up. I think that's what did me in. Or at least contributed a great deal. Without the anger, the only thing left was fear. I won't make that mistake again.

First off congrats on having the courage to step in there and fight. I think that's awesome and you should be extremely proud of yourself. :happydancing:

But I can't help but wonder maybe fighting isn't for you? :huh: If your only 2 options going into a fight are anger or fear the perhaps fighting isn't your thing?

At the very least maybe you would benefit from approaching it differently both emotionally and spiritually? Matt's a great example of how you can approach the sport and still maintain a healthy Christian outlook. Fight out of the love of competition. Maybe try to go in there with confidence and give it 110% because you want to honor Christ and the gifts and abilities He's given you?

Dethbob
08-11-2010, 04:39 PM
I can't help but wonder maybe fighting isn't for you? :huh: If your only 2 options going into a fight are anger or fear the perhaps fighting isn't your thing?

LOL If you’d read her post instead of bogarting mine you would have understood that she was fighting seriously underweight, with heavy ring rust, and in spite of that and the emotional vapor lock did very well, impressing her opponent with strikes and coming this close to a kimura. When she lost vision in one eye she ‘got a little concerned’ and kept fighting well into the second round. Not bad, for Rambo.

Miss Foxy
08-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Don't give up anything and a fighter isn't born he/she is made!! “A champion is someone who gets up when he can't.”

Chuck
08-12-2010, 12:05 AM
LOL If you’d read her post instead of bogarting mine you would have understood that she was fighting seriously underweight, with heavy ring rust, and in spite of that and the emotional vapor lock did very well, impressing her opponent with strikes and coming this close to a kimura. When she lost vision in one eye she ‘got a little concerned’ and kept fighting well into the second round. Not bad, for Rambo.

Why would you assume I didn't read her post? Or better yet... cared about yours?? :huh:

Did you read either of ours??

I like how you only quote the middle of my post... not the begining where I congratulated her or the end where I encouraged her... only one line in the middle.

You must be a Liberal....

Dethbob
08-12-2010, 01:30 PM
I like how you only quote the mid

Yes, yes...what’s that? Oh, and when did we start capitalizing ‘liberal’?

Chuck
08-13-2010, 03:19 AM
Yes, yes...what’s that? Oh, and when did we start capitalizing ‘liberal’?

Why wouldn't I?

You know what... forget that... don't answer.... you bore me....

Dethbob
08-13-2010, 01:43 PM
...on't answe...

Right, I need your permission, don’t I? Anyway, annamal, great thread, awesome story, a real inspiration. I’m sorry this part wasn’t much fun, but I’m glad you’re ‘living the dream’. Keep your chin up (or down as appropriate), it sounds like you have a few fans, good family, and a direction in life. Thanks for taking the time to share your story.