PDA

View Full Version : Upset flight attendant grabs beer, activates chute, goes home

rockdawg21
08-10-2010, 05:00 PM
This is hilarious!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38629517/ns/travel-news/?GT1=43001
Upset flight attendant grabs beer, activates chute, goes home
Witness says Steven Slater looked 'happy' — but is he facing more stress?

msnbc.com staff and news service reports
updated 2 hours 44 minutes ago

A JetBlue flight attendant got into an argument with a passenger on a jetliner arriving at John F. Kennedy International Airport Monday, then grabbed a beer from the galley, deployed an emergency exit slide and fled the plane, authorities said.

And though he could be seen smiling as authorities led him away from his nearby home in the Belle Harbor section of Queens, Steven Slater's acquaintances and his apparent profile on a social networking site indicated that he has been dealing with some stressful events in his life.

Slater was ordered held on $2,500 bail, WNBC's Tim Minton reported. Slater faced charges of criminal mischief, reckless endangerment and trespassing, and was in custody overnight.

By Monday night, several Facebook pages had been set up in tribute to Slater, who is facing charges of criminal mischief, reckless endangerment and trespassing, with many users of the social networking site expressing support for him for walking off the job. One such page had more than 16,000 fans early Tuesday.

Twitter users also showed support, with declarations such as "Free Steven Slater!" and "Steven Slater is totally my new hero."

Slater was working on JetBlue Flight 1052 from Pittsburgh when he got into an argument with the passenger, who was pulling down baggage from an overhead bin, the Port Authority said.

The luggage apparently hit Slater in the head and he asked for an apology, but the passenger refused, the agency said.

As the plane was landing, Slater got on the public-address system and cursed at the passenger, the Port Authority said.

He then grabbed at least one beer, activated the slide, slid down and went to his car, it said. Port Authority police were notified about 25 minutes later.

Phil Catelinet, a passenger on the flight, said on the TODAY show that Slater " was smiling — he was happy he had done this. He was happy he was done with his job at JetBlue."

"I think it's funny that he could quit his job that way … I don't think he thought this through."

[B]'One day at a time'
A MySpace profile appearing to belong to Slater notes that: "Beating alcoholism and substance abuse 'one day at a time' has opened up new worlds of opportunity for me, and I am so thankful to those who have guided me along the path to successful living, and given me new wings to fly. See you above the clouds. ..."

Slater's former roommate, John Rochelle, told The New York Times that Slater was rarely home, and often traveled to Thousand Oaks, Calif., to care for his ailing mother.

A neighbor of Slater's mother told the newspaper that he had also cared for his father, who died of Lou Gehrig's disease.

"It could be the pressure of his mother's illness, because that's not the type of behavior or conduct that Steve exhibits," neighbor Ron Franz said. "He's a very conscientious, responsible individual."

A woman who answered a phone at a previous residence listed for Slater in Thousand Oaks, Calif., identified herself as his mother but said she wasn't speaking to the media.

The district attorney told NBC News that Slater had not yet been arraigned, but that was likely to happen at a Tuesday morning court session.

JetBlue Airways Corp. said in a statement that it was working with the Federal Aviation Administration and Port Authority police to investigate the matter.

It said the safety of its customers and crew members was never at risk. JetBlue would not say how long Slater had been employed by the company.

A National Transportation Safety Board official said the incident was a result of "a little too much cabin pressure."

J.B.
08-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Way to go Johnny Paycheck...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPrSVkTRb24

Miss Foxy
08-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Poor chap.. I hope he gets better.. :sad:

County Mike
08-10-2010, 05:46 PM
I know a hot chick that works for Jet Blue. I wonder if she knows anything more about it.

PS: How many people first assumed this article was about a woman flight attendant? That would have been funnier.

J.B.
08-10-2010, 05:49 PM
PS: How many people first assumed this article was about a woman flight attendant? That would have been funnier.

I did.

Guess it's pretty stereotypical, but when I picture a flight attendant I usually think of a woman. I also thought at first that the attendant grabbed a beer and jumped out of the plane with a parachute until I read it. That would have been even funnier, lol

Twinsmama
08-10-2010, 05:54 PM
I wonder if that is really how it happened. He got hit in the head and the guy wouldn't apologize. That was pretty sh1tty of the passanger. who would hit someone in the head and not apologize.

i don't think he handled it well though.

rockdawg21
08-10-2010, 05:55 PM
I know a hot chick that works for Jet Blue. I wonder if she knows anything more about it.

Well, after I heard it was a man, I assumed he must have originally been a woman.

I did.

Guess it's pretty stereotypical, but when I picture a flight attendant I usually think of a woman. I also thought at first that the attendant grabbed a beer and jumped out of the plane with a parachute until I read it. That would have been even funnier, lol
Yeah, my brother in-law text that to me. Thought it was a joke but he said it was real. Didn't even know it was a guy and that it wasn't a parachute until I read the article - told him to check out D.B. Cooper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper). Funny nonetheless!

Boomer
08-10-2010, 06:21 PM

I did ... :laugh: Really if I was on that flight I would have been pissed. That probably delayed lots of other flights too. :rolleyes:

TexasRN
08-10-2010, 06:43 PM
I fly a lot nowadays and I can tell you, I do NOT want to be a flight attendant. I do not have the patience required for that job. I'd be arresting people left and right for the transportation security people to take the jail when we land. BUT, I do not want a flight attendant to compromise security in such a way that it backs up my flight because he is throwing a hissy fit. He should have just arrested the guy who hit him for assault and gone on his merry way. :laugh:

~Amy

County Mike
08-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I fly a lot nowadays and I can tell you, I do NOT want to be a flight attendant. I do not have the patience required for that job. I'd be arresting people left and right for the transportation security people to take the jail when we land. BUT, I do not want a flight attendant to compromise security in such a way that it backs up my flight because he is throwing a hissy fit. He should have just arrested the guy who hit him for assault and gone on his merry way. :laugh:

~Amy

Flight attendants can't arrest people. Are you thinking of an Air Marshal? Being a guy flight attendant is like being a male nurse. It doesn't automatically mean you're gay, but one could take a wild guess.

TexasRN
08-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Flight attendants can't arrest people. Are you thinking of an Air Marshal? Being a guy flight attendant is like being a male nurse. It doesn't automatically mean you're gay, but one could take a wild guess.

I think flight attendants should be given the ability and right to arrest people. Seriously.

~Amy

Miss Foxy
08-10-2010, 07:27 PM
In all seriousness I feel bad for this man. To make him think and react the way he did. I know I have had that feeling of just dealing with too much and wanting to just say f it! I am glad though that he did not go on a rampage and shoot or harm anyone. Ok yes what a drain to have your flight delayed, but im sure we can all try to understand he wasn't thinking clearly. Obviously.

rockdawg21
08-11-2010, 01:46 AM
Sweet, he's become somewhat of a working-class folk hero!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38642085/ns/business-careers/?GT1=43001
After rant, some see Steven Slater as a hero
Many laud JetBlue flight attendant for cursing customer, making exit

By Allison Linn Senior writer
msnbc.com
updated 8/10/2010 12:53:40 PM ET

Most of us will probably never pull a Steven Slater: curse out a customer, grab a drink and leave our place of employment in a blaze of glory.

But let’s face it, we’ve all had the urge.

Slater, a flight attendant on JetBlue, instantly became a folk hero in many people’s eyes Monday after he grabbed a microphone and ranted at a passenger who had refused to apologize for hitting Slater with some luggage. Slater then grabbed a beer from the galley and fled the plane via the emergency exit chute.

“How many of us can honestly say we haven’t wanted to do the same thing? Steve is a working class hero!” one reader, Aaron Steele, commented on msnbc.com.

“Maybe not the best way to quit your job but hey, sometimes enough is enough,” said another, usa1967.

Workplace experts say that while most of us probably don’t have the chutzpah to do what Slater did, many have felt enough workplace stress to at least fantasize about telling everyone to take this job and shove it.

“I think that’s why we all secretly hold him up as a hero. I know he did the wrong thing and he even probably broke the law, but I get it,” said Tim Besse, co-founder of Glassdoor.com, a website that allows employees and employers to post anonymous information about their workplaces.

That’s especially true with airline travel, which is full of the kind of hassles and stress that can inspire rage and fury in even the most mild-mannered people.

In fact, many readers said an outburst such as Slater’s dramatic exit was inevitable given how flight attendants and other people in customer service are treated these days.

“Can’t blame him for snapping. Unbelievable how rude people are — no apology for clocking him in the head with a bag? I’d snap too!” wrote VTPeach.

To some, it was the passenger who prompted Slater’s rant, rather than Slater himself, who was at fault.

“What about the passenger who refused to apologize? I would call him the real IDIOT!!!!” wrote whatever-2167628.

Besse, of Glassdoor.com, said companies often get high marks for valuing customer satisfaction. But that can turn into a negative if employees come to feel like they have taken the idea that the customer is always right too far, to the point that customers are treated better than employees.

“Steve Slater, who’d been doing this basically all his life, on this day in New York basically decided the customer wasn’t right,” Besse said.

Some may see Slater as a hero because they know they don’t have the luxury to speak out like that in their own lives. While Slater may have felt great after finally letting loose in such a public way, the fact is that most of us need our jobs more than we need that release. And most of us realize that such a dramatic move can carry heavy consequences, such as the felony charges that Slater is currently facing.

That’s especially true these days, with the unemployment rate hovering at 9.5 percent, nearly 15 million Americans looking for work, and many who are working being asked to do more work for the same or even less money.

“It’s about time workers start to flip out!” wrote one reader, Jimi-2167680.

Of course, not everyone is thrilled with the way Slater decided to handle his workplace frustration (including legal authorities, who are holding him on charges of criminal mischief, reckless endangerment and trespassing).

More than 40 percent of msnbc.com readers voting in an online poll (http://travel.polls.newsvine.com/_question/2010/08/10/4856651-whats-your-take-on-the-jetblue-flight-attendant-who-fled-the-plane-via-the-emergency-chute-after-he-got-into-an-argument-with-an-unruly-passenger) called him a hero, but around 35 percent felt he was “just plain crazy.”

“Sounds like we are safer that he is now on the ground,” wrote Bruce-308647.

“Gotta love it. … Finally, a flight attendant standing up to a RUDE passenger. Seen it a million times. Could have handled it better, though!” wrote another, Da Llama-2167553.

I also joined the Steve Slater is a Hero group on Facebook, LOL:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Steve-Slater-is-a-Hero/104813176243327?ref=ts

DonnaMaria
08-11-2010, 01:57 AM
I did.

i thought the same thing!

DonnaMaria
08-11-2010, 02:02 AM
The whole thing could have been avoided with a well timed Xanax............:rolleyes:

lol...........

3dlee
08-11-2010, 08:21 AM
By activating "chute" I was under the impression that a flight attendant in air grabbed a beer, put on a parachute, and hopped out the door lol. THAT would be a hero

County Mike
08-11-2010, 11:50 AM
He's no hero. Just sounds like a whiny beeotch to me.

"Boo hoo. I got bumped on my head with some luggage and the mean ole passenger wouldn't say he was sorry."

Man up Alice!