PDA

View Full Version : Local Karoke contest!

DonnaMaria
08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
:w00t:

The winner gets 500 bucks! Second place is 300 and third is 200! :happydancing:

There are 10 weeks of competition, a winner gets picked each week and gets a 25 buck gift certificate to the bar and then is entered in the finals competition. So there will be 10 people competing at the end.........

I competed last week............and didn't win! :grumpy:

But the lady who won was good AND a regular at the bar....and I'm not. ( a regular that is! :) ) So I think that might have had something to do with it......since crowd participation impacts your final score. She ranked first and I ranked second at the end of the night.

Anyway...........she won last week so she can't compete this week! woohoo!:happydancing:

So here is my set list. We are supposed to sing 4 songs........three warm up and then a final song that is judged.

It's a rural bar but I wouldn't say it's country. They play a mix of music.

Last week I sang

I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor
I Love Rock and Roll by Joan Jett
Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood

and my final song was In My Daughter's Eyes by Martina Mc Bride

THIS week I think my set will be

I Will Survive ( the ladies really got into this one! lol!)
In My Daughter's Eyes
Because the Night by Patti Smith

and then Last Dance by Donna Summer

suggestions? ideas? They want lots of audience participation so I tried to choose songs that I thought would get people going. When I sang Last Dance at a venue last fall the audience went nuts.......so although it seems like an odd choice, I've had luck with it before.

I appreciate any and all help! :)

Miss Foxy
08-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Sing something by Blondie!! The ladies this way get crazy to "Heart of Glass." I think we can all relate!! Um let's see the crowd also goes wild for "You outta know" by Alanis Morisette!! :happydancing:

DonnaMaria
08-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Sing something by Blondie!! The ladies this way get crazy to "Heart of Glass." I think we can all relate!! Um let's see the crowd also goes wild for "You outta know" by Alanis Morisette!! :happydancing:

Good idea! I totally forgot about Blondie!

and yeah I can get into singing that tune by Alanis..........but I don't feel comfortable about dropping the f bomb! :laugh:

Miss Foxy
08-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Good idea! I totally forgot about Blondie!

and yeah I can get into singing that tune by Alanis..........but I don't feel comfortable about dropping the f bomb! :laugh:

True if it were just for fun you can say "freak", but being that it's a contest probably not a good idea. Hmm " I love Rock n Roll" by Joan Jett!!

DonnaMaria
08-10-2010, 05:31 AM
okay come on people! i need ideas! ideas!!!!! pleeeeeese!:frantics:

Primadawn
08-10-2010, 05:32 AM
Every time I've done Me and Bobby McGee..the bar is crazy...ummm...also pretty much anything by Pat Benatar...I'm thinking from the other songs you listed, both of those would be in your natural range.

Go get em!

DonnaMaria
08-10-2010, 05:33 AM
i got a good idea from someone on here. She suggested that I sing RESPECT!
R-E-S-P-E-C-T. I would really need to practice that one, but it is definately a consideration! It would rock the house!:happydancing:

DonnaMaria
08-10-2010, 05:35 AM
Every time I've done Me and Bobby McGee..the bar is crazy...ummm...also pretty much anything by Pat Benatar...I'm thinking from the other songs you listed, both of those would be in your natural range.

Go get em!

YES!!! A girl sang that last week and they loved it! But she didn't win either so i think she is going to sing it again this week!!!

Thanks for the ideas though!

J.B.
08-10-2010, 05:40 AM
Good luck Donna!

I've been a DJ and Karoke host for a while, it can be a lot of fun. If I had any suggestions I would just say try to gauge the crowd at the time and go with something fits the general mood. Sometimes it's good to throw the crowd a curveball too, so maybe if you can find a song that is off the wall or even try singing a "guys" song. If it's all about the crowd reaction for voting then how well you actually sing the song isn't ALWAYS as important as how well you interact with the crowd. :)

Primadawn
08-10-2010, 05:41 AM
i got a good idea from someone on here. She suggested that I sing RESPECT!
R-E-S-P-E-C-T. I would really need to practice that one, but it is definately a consideration! It would rock the house!:happydancing:

Oooh! Yes! Or if someone is already doing it by chance, you can always do "Think"--I actually prefer it and it shows vocal range better...if you've got it. I don't, so I don't go near either one of them! :laugh:

Primadawn
08-10-2010, 05:42 AM
Or something by Queen--Fat Bottom Girls or Somebody to Love?

I sooo wanna go to karaoke night now!

J.B.
08-10-2010, 05:42 AM
Pat Benatar and Janis Joplin are artists that girls ALWAYS sing at Karaoke :laugh:

3dlee
08-10-2010, 05:44 AM
What about Meredith Brooks that "IM a b**ch, im a lover" is always a crowd pleaser.

Primadawn
08-10-2010, 05:46 AM
Pat Benatar and Janis Joplin are artists that girls ALWAYS sing at Karaoke :laugh:

WhatEVER!~:angry:

J.B.
08-10-2010, 05:49 AM
WhatEVER!~:angry:

Hey, I'm not hating...lol

It's better than the random old drunk guy who always wants to sing all 10 minutes of American Pie. :laugh:

DonnaMaria
08-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Hey, I'm not hating...lol

It's better than the random old drunk guy who always wants to sing all 10 minutes of American Pie. :laugh:

We had a random old drunk woman who wanted to sing everything.......and really couldn't sing anything.:laugh:

Then she asked the DJ to sing a duet with her and then cursed him out because he was "messing up!":rolleyes::laugh:

She didn't get to stay for the rest of the contest!:laugh:

Llamafighter
08-10-2010, 02:29 PM
We had a random old drunk woman who wanted to sing everything.......and really couldn't sing anything.:laugh:

Then she asked the DJ to sing a duet with her and then cursed him out because he was "messing up!":rolleyes::laugh:

She didn't get to stay for the rest of the contest!:laugh:

Independence Day by martina McBride is always a crowd pleaser.
DO you Believe in Life after Love, by Cher

Neezar
08-11-2010, 05:16 AM
Black Velvet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS870zCCAwM

Neezar
08-11-2010, 05:22 AM
Or something by the Rolling Stones! :w00t:

County Mike
08-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Where's the contest? Need some fan support? :)

DonnaMaria
08-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I appreciate the support!

But I lost!:laugh: Again!:laugh: Last night was tough!!!!!:scared0011: Whew! Lots of competition! Much more than last week! I'll keep trying though until school starts. There are 8 weeks left to make it into the finals but I can only compete until the end of the month. The dang thing goes on until 1:00 A.M. and I just can't hang that long and then get up at 5:30 for work! :laugh:

But I sang Last Dance and brought the house down! They loved it! So I will probably stick with that as my competition song. But all your suggestions come in handy for the warm up songs! So THANKS!!!!!!:)