PDA

View Full Version : Jens The Budgie...almost history!!!

Tyburn
08-03-2010, 08:58 PM
:cry: I'm actually in shock right now.

So When I came home from work I closed the window, and I got Wyman out of the cage so I could examine his eye. I put him back, then I got Jens out of the cage to count his blood feather, he only has two which havent come through the sheath now, so he's back to normal. So I put him back in the cage also

Then I packed my bags for the gym, and reopened the windows to get a stream of air to ventilate coz it was hot.

On the way home from the gym some three hours later, I was thinking more about the fact in a couple of days time I shall know if the Finances will permit me to breed my Male Zebra Finches. I went through a strange train of thought and was wondering what I would do if somehow one of my birds escaped.

The problem is my birds are not tame. The Zebra Finches are too small to tame, Wyman is too stupid to tame, and Jens refuses to do what I want him to do. So its not like they would come if I called or anything. Usually what would happen is they would fly, get tiered, land some where and not know how to get back, then they would either starve to death, or freeze to death or be eaten by cats...they would be almost imposible to survive for any length of time.

So anyway. I came in, and I went through to dump my bags, and as usual I came over to greet my birds...and to my Horror...Jens was pacing to and fro on my window ledge

I swear I nearly had a heart attack or something. I'd only left the door to the cage open...and although Wyman was still trying to figure out three hours later how to get out of an open cage...Jens, had evidently been out and about. I strongly suspect he might even have ventured out of the house for a short time, maybe on to the tree that springs from the hedge, maybe onto the alcove roof of the flat below. He was wide awake, and he was...like..blooming, like he'd experienced freedom...anyway, I had to wait for him to move over the lip of the sil, and hope he didnt decide to fly, I knew if I made a noise or moved quickly he'd get frightened and just take off...so once he came back I slowly shut the window.

Then I positively screamed at him.

Llamafighter
08-03-2010, 09:25 PM
:cry: I'm actually in shock right now.

So When I came home from work I closed the window, and I got Wyman out of the cage so I could examine his eye. I put him back, then I got Jens out of the cage to count his blood feather, he only has two which havent come through the sheath now, so he's back to normal. So I put him back in the cage also

Then I packed my bags for the gym, and reopened the windows to get a stream of air to ventilate coz it was hot.

On the way home from the gym some three hours later, I was thinking more about the fact in a couple of days time I shall know if the Finances will permit me to breed my Male Zebra Finches. I went through a strange train of thought and was wondering what I would do if somehow one of my birds escaped.

The problem is my birds are not tame. The Zebra Finches are too small to tame, Wyman is too stupid to tame, and Jens refuses to do what I want him to do. So its not like they would come if I called or anything. Usually what would happen is they would fly, get tiered, land some where and not know how to get back, then they would either starve to death, or freeze to death or be eaten by cats...they would be almost imposible to survive for any length of time.

So anyway. I came in, and I went through to dump my bags, and as usual I came over to greet my birds...and to my Horror...Jens was pacing to and fro on my window ledge

I swear I nearly had a heart attack or something. I'd only left the door to the cage open...and although Wyman was still trying to figure out three hours later how to get out of an open cage...Jens, had evidently been out and about. I strongly suspect he might even have ventured out of the house for a short time, maybe on to the tree that springs from the hedge, maybe onto the alcove roof of the flat below. He was wide awake, and he was...like..blooming, like he'd experienced freedom...anyway, I had to wait for him to move over the lip of the sil, and hope he didnt decide to fly, I knew if I made a noise or moved quickly he'd get frightened and just take off...so once he came back I slowly shut the window.

:scared0015:please tell me this is all captured on video..

Llamafighter
08-03-2010, 09:28 PM
honestly birds know where there food source is and woud most likely return unless intercepted by a predator. Birds naturally have pretty accurrate homing beacons.

Tyburn
08-03-2010, 10:01 PM
:scared0015:please tell me this is all captured on video..

:scared0011:no...I did a video about the incident though.

We think he went as far as the tree...:unsure-1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smKfIKnB57U

BamaGrits84
08-03-2010, 10:11 PM
My mother-in-law has finches. She went on a quest to get a zebra and rainbow finch (not sure if rainbow is the correct term). So she takes me to this bait shop (like live fish bait) in a small town. We go in the front door and it's this hillbilly old man in overalls and his wife in her night gown still in the shop that looks like it belongs only in a horror movie. Well my mother-in-law tells the man she looking for these finches and he says well I have this male (or female i don't remember) but I havent found a mate for it yet so I can't sell it. Then the lady tells her husband to take us to see Pretty. So we go in this little door behind the counter and into a room with minno wells in it and the old man calls "Ricky where you at?" I'm thinking it's going to be his son - wrong! It was a dang spider monkey! The little thing can running out and jumped up on my very pregnant belly. And that's not all. He takes us into this room that's got these crazy exotic birds in it. Birds that I've never seen in a pet store. In fact I'd only seen 1 similar to any of them and it was at a zoo. Well Richard was the man's name (I remember because that's my hubby's name) and as we entered the birds' room I hear "Close the door Richard" coming from a beautiful peach colored bird. It was a big bird too. It's tail feather were a good 2-3'. It was the only talking bird the man had and he had been searching for years for a mate for it. Well the old lady gives my son some crackers to feed the bird and we spend a good 10 minutes just at that bird's cage. Well when my mother-in-law tells my son "Come look at this bird" and my son goes to step away from the talking bird, the bird went crazy and started squaking very high pitched like it was yelling. So my son's attention was drawn back to that bird and the bird stopped. The lady said 'Oh don't mind him. He's just jealous." The bird didn't want my son to go look at the other birds apparently. Ok sorry i know you like paragraphs but it was one of the oddest experiences of my life to see these exotic birds in a bait shop that looked like a shack and for that bird to act like a human was so funny.

Tyburn
08-03-2010, 10:15 PM
My mother-in-law has finches. She went on a quest to get a zebra and rainbow finch (not sure if rainbow is the correct term). So she takes me to this bait shop (like live fish bait) in a small town. We go in the front door and it's this hillbilly old man in overalls and his wife in her night gown still in the shop that looks like it belongs only in a horror movie. Well my mother-in-law tells the man she looking for these finches and he says well I have this male (or female i don't remember) but I havent found a mate for it yet so I can't sell it. Then the lady tells her husband to take us to see Pretty. So we go in this little door behind the counter and into a room with minno wells in it and the old man calls "Ricky where you at?" I'm thinking it's going to be his son - wrong! It was a dang spider monkey! The little thing can running out and jumped up on my very pregnant belly. And that's not all. He takes us into this room that's got these crazy exotic birds in it. Birds that I've never seen in a pet store. In fact I'd only seen 1 similar to any of them and it was at a zoo. Well Richard was the man's name (I remember because that's my hubby's name) and as we entered the birds' room I hear "Close the door Richard" coming from a beautiful peach colored bird. It was a big bird too. It's tail feather were a good 2-3'. It was the only talking bird the man had and he had been searching for years for a mate for it. Well the old lady gives my son some crackers to feed the bird and we spend a good 10 minutes just at that bird's cage. Well when my mother-in-law tells my son "Come look at this bird" and my son goes to step away from the talking bird, the bird went crazy and started squaking very high pitched like it was yelling. So my son's attention was drawn back to that bird and the bird stopped. The lady said 'Oh don't mind him. He's just jealous." The bird didn't want my son to go look at the other birds apparently. Ok sorry i know you like paragraphs but it was one of the oddest experiences of my life to see these exotic birds in a bait shop that looked like a shack and for that bird to act like a human was so funny.

Most animals have human personalities...its VERY strange....they can also have the "look in their eye" :laugh:

Miss Foxy
08-04-2010, 12:43 AM
ROFL.. Dave your so dramatic!! A video blog?!! Too bad I am at work and cannot see it... :w00t:

J.B.
08-04-2010, 04:43 AM

Chill out brother...:laugh:

They have tiny eardrums... :w00t:

I could only imagine you with a cat or a dog! :laugh:

flo
08-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Hey, don't get mad at Jens, you're the one that left the window open!

But seriously, I know how it is with our pet "children". You feel relieved and upset at the same time!

He'd never fly away, Jens knows he has it made there with you, Dave. :)

Tyburn
08-04-2010, 12:43 PM
I did appologise to Jens, and he's not really bothered, I think at the time he was suprised at me yelling, but once the initial suprise was over he more or less just started impassively at me as if to say "are you done yet" :laugh:

I'm just so glad he didnt fly away. Although, in many respects we think he ventured out...but not far and came back. I'd be gutted if anything ever happened to Jens, I know you shouldnt have favourites...but he is certainly the pride of my flock :w00t:

Buc Nasty
08-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Drama queen! :laugh:

Miss Foxy
08-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Chill out brother...:laugh:

They have tiny eardrums... :w00t:

I could only imagine you with a cat or a dog! :laugh:

Lmao!! Tiny eardrums!! Omg too funny!!

Tyburn
08-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Lmao!! Tiny eardrums!! Omg too funny!!

well they gotta be quite small. Jens has an eye with the diameter of 3mm. The ear would probably be a hole in his head about half that. say about 1.3mm

Look, I did appologise, and he doesnt seem unduly effected now after having been asleep...so I think I can safely assume all has been forgiven :ashamed:

Blade
08-04-2010, 07:05 PM
well they gotta be quite small. Jens has an eye with the diameter of 3mm. The ear would probably be a hole in his head about half that. say about 1.3mm

Look, I did appologise, and he doesnt seem unduly effected now after having been asleep...so I think I can safely assume all has been forgiven :ashamed:

He's just biding his time until your UFC ticket arrives in the post, and then he's gonna swipe it in his beak and be out that window before you can blink, and he'll fly away and make a nice new nest with your ticket! :w00t:

Tyburn
08-04-2010, 07:12 PM
He's just biding his time until your UFC ticket arrives in the post, and then he's gonna swipe it in his beak and be out that window before you can blink, and he'll fly away and make a nice new nest with your ticket! :w00t:

:laugh: Its the finches I have to worry about with next building, you know I'm going to find out early next week whether it will be possible to breed them. Anyway, they keep gathering the straw and lining their grit tray feeder with it :ninja: they want to build a nest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgroTCzdQmU

I'm going to have to keep my Ticket somewhere safe!! We cant have Jens The Budgie turning up at The UFC Fan Expo in my place....Jens The Budgie has a favourite mixed martial artist all of his own you know, he watches MMA with me, and has only really had a great reaction to one person: Anderson Silva...you see, Budgies Bob and Weave when they get really excited, and obviously he sees Anderson do it, and mimicks :rolleyes:

J.B.
08-04-2010, 08:02 PM

Did you measure his eye? :huh:

:laugh:

Tyburn
08-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Did you measure his eye? :huh:

Yes.

Its because of Wyman when he was blind last weekend. Wyman has huge eyes, they are most prominent and are four mm across....Jens has minescule eyes, his Crest is better developed...Jens, in all honnesty is a specimen...he really is an outstandingly beautiful bird.

His Colouring is remarkable, he's a Cobalt Blue, but its a rich blue, so dark that his three tail feathers are actually dark purple. His crest is perfect for his size, and even better of late as he's almost totally replenished his feathers in that area this past week. The markings on his wings and back are unfaded, and unblemished in detail, and when he stands up, he has PERFECT posture for a Budgie, from head, to tail tip a perfectly straight diagonal, almost ten centimeters in length.

Wyman...quite the opposite :laugh:

Play The Man
08-05-2010, 01:43 AM
What is a "fatball"?:unsure-1:

Play The Man
08-05-2010, 01:44 AM
We need a video tour of the flat to tie together in our minds the different backgrounds from the video blogs.

Tyburn
08-05-2010, 12:31 PM
What is a "fatball"?:unsure-1:

:laugh: Fatballs, are little balls of fat and birdseed. They are designed to feed wild birds, its what you might put in a holder, or on a bird table. I havent got one so I leave it on the window Ledge. They come in all shapes and sizes, but I get the most inexpensive obviously. I go through about one every two days because I have a lot of sparrows in the eves of the flat above, in a tree outside my window, and a tree where they are nesting across the road. I'm also a stones throw from town, so pigeons are quite common aswell. they get everywhere.

Tyburn
08-05-2010, 12:33 PM
We need a video tour of the flat to tie together in our minds the different backgrounds from the video blogs.

I'm kinda loath to do that to be honnest. I might do it before I move out, and when I move into my new apartment when its empty...but I dont really want to do a tour, for security and peace of mind.

Play The Man
08-05-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm kinda loath to do that to be honnest. I might do it before I move out, and when I move into my new apartment when its empty...but I dont really want to do a tour, for security and peace of mind.

You are being smart.

Play The Man
08-05-2010, 09:00 PM
:laugh: Fatballs, are little balls of fat and birdseed. They are designed to feed wild birds, its what you might put in a holder, or on a bird table. I havent got one so I leave it on the window Ledge. They come in all shapes and sizes, but I get the most inexpensive obviously. I go through about one every two days because I have a lot of sparrows in the eves of the flat above, in a tree outside my window, and a tree where they are nesting across the road. I'm also a stones throw from town, so pigeons are quite common aswell. they get everywhere.

Suet, in other words.

Tyburn
08-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Suet, in other words.

I guess so :laugh:

Tyburn
08-05-2010, 09:11 PM
You are being smart.

I like to keep some amount of mystery :laugh: I like sometimes to be able to turn off the computer, to rearrange my room into its comfy coordinates, turn on the telly, and know that absolutely noone knows what im doing, or what my pads like. It gives me peace of mind that even a pretty much televised life like mine (I now have 450 Public Videos...I hit 500 videos in total yesterday, but as a some are private, or for a select few, thats kinda unofficial :laugh: ) with uploads several times a week, that there are bits to me not on show, that you cant actually know everything about me, that some of my privacy remains private. In a sense, that my Home is my own, and that I'm not sharing it with fifty million viewers or the likes.

Its funny because it HAS been something I considered, so I HAVE given it considerable thought. When I leave it wont matter because I shall be moving on...and when I first arrive, it doesnt matter because I havent made the house my home...does that make sense??

Play The Man
08-05-2010, 10:02 PM
I like to keep some amount of mystery :laugh: I like sometimes to be able to turn off the computer, to rearrange my room into its comfy coordinates, turn on the telly, and know that absolutely noone knows what im doing, or what my pads like. It gives me peace of mind that even a pretty much televised life like mine (I now have 450 Public Videos...I hit 500 videos in total yesterday, but as a some are private, or for a select few, thats kinda unofficial :laugh: ) with uploads several times a week, that there are bits to me not on show, that you cant actually know everything about me, that some of my privacy remains private. In a sense, that my Home is my own, and that I'm not sharing it with fifty million viewers or the likes.

Its funny because it HAS been something I considered, so I HAVE given it considerable thought. When I leave it wont matter because I shall be moving on...and when I first arrive, it doesnt matter because I havent made the house my home...does that make sense??

Yes. I like looking at the background - the room service menu that is sometimes tacked to the wall, and sometimes not; the picture of a prisoner in an orange jumpsuit, etc., etc.

Tyburn
08-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Yes. I like looking at the background - the room service menu that is sometimes tacked to the wall, and sometimes not; the picture of a prisoner in an orange jumpsuit, etc., etc.

Well, I decided there was no point in keeping photographs in my albums, so I stuck them up, I also stuck up things like achievements, and cards...and then what you are refering to with the room service thing...thats part of my American Dreams Display, it runs the entire length of the wall behind my computer.

Half the wall is taken by a big American Standard, on which is all the MMA stuff, and then around it is some of the things ive collected on my tours. :laugh:

That particular leaflet tells me about room service in the Harrington Hotel, Washington DC :)