PDA

View Full Version : Federal judge blocks part of Arizona immigration law

Spiritwalker
07-28-2010, 06:42 PM
OK.. I expected this.. but was hoping for better.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/28/arizona.immigration.law/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Phoenix, Arizona (CNN) -- With scant hours to go before a controversial Arizona immigration law goes into effect, a federal judge granted a preliminary injunction Wednesday against the implementation of parts of the law.

There are seven lawsuits seeking to block its implementation. U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton made her ruling on a lawsuit filed by the federal government.

The law, signed by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer in April, requires police to question people about their status if they have been detained for another reason and if there's reason to suspect they're in the United States illegally. It also targets those who hire illegal immigrant laborers or knowingly transport them. It is to go into effect Thursday.

Opponents say the law will lead to racial profiling, which is illegal.

Supporters point out that the law prohibits racial profiling and people cannot be stopped and asked for proof of legal residence based solely on their looks.

In addition to the U.S. Justice Department, the American Civil Liberties Union, the National Coalition of Latino Clergy, the Christian Leaders League of United Latin American Citizens and other individuals or groups have asked the judge to halt the law, commonly known as SB 1070. Bolton heard arguments in the case last week from the Justice Department and the ACLU.

The separate hearings were held in Phoenix, where Bolton sits on the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona.

Bolton's courtroom was packed during the two July 22 hearings and protesters chanted outside throughout the afternoon.

Seven protesters were arrested on civil disobedience charges, according to the National Day Laborer Organizing Network.

The legal arguments revolved around a range of issues, including racial profiling, effective enforcement and possible harm to Arizona's citizens.

Attorneys from the Obama administration presented their case at the second hearing. The administration's challenge contends Arizona's law would usurp federal supremacy on immigration.

Brewer attended the hearing.

Arizona has argued that the federal government has not done a good job of securing the border.

"A law unenforced is no law at all," said state attorney John Bouma.

The American Civil Liberties Union and a coalition of civil rights groups argued earlier in the day that the controversial law amounts to racial profiling and will have a profound effect if it goes into effect.

"It treats people of color as suspects first, rather than citizens," attorney Karen Tumlin said after the hearing.

Bouma said the law would not treat people unfairly.

"These are hypothetical arguments. Local police are enforcing immigration laws all over the country," he told Bolton.

Those in favor of the law say SB 1070 is consistent with federal law. They say the law explicitly prohibits racial profiling and they are challenging the legal standing of many of the groups opposed.

They also contend opponents of the law have not been able to show there will be any harm from its implementation.

During the first hearing, Bolton said the law has a section allowing parts to still take effect even if other parts are struck down, according to CNN affiliate KNXV.

Tumlin, managing attorney for the National Immigration Law Center, and other lawyers and foes of SB 1070 repeated assertions that Arizona's law should be rejected.

"We are here to defend the rights of those who cannot stand up for themselves," said Terri Leon, CEO of the Friendly House, which supports the legal challenge by the American Civil Liberties Union.

Bolton heard a challenge to SB 1070 by an Arizona police officer the previous week.

Those that can't stand up for themselves.. ??? Those wouldn't be the ones that are here illegally would they?

J.B.
07-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Cops won't have to inquire on immigration status

Immigrants won't have to carry their paperwork

It will not be a crime for illegals to solicit work in public places

Looks like they got what they wanted.

County Mike
07-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Total BS. So now my question is, what parts of the law DID go through? Seems they killed the parts that made up the actual purpose of the law, which is to help reduce the number of illegal aliens in Arizona.

J.B.
07-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Total BS. So now my question is, what parts of the law DID go through? Seems they killed the parts that made up the actual purpose of the law, which is to help reduce the number of illegal aliens in Arizona.

They basically killed the meat and potatoes of the law...but there are other provisions that make harsher penalties on people hiring undocumented workers, and other quirks to laws that were already in place.

It's a joke....

Spiritwalker
07-28-2010, 07:27 PM
They basically killed the meat and potatoes of the law...but there are other provisions that make harsher penalties on people hiring undocumented workers, and other quirks to laws that were already in place.

It's a joke....

Funny how the people that are laughing.. shouldn't be here.

Miss Foxy
07-28-2010, 07:29 PM
What a big waste of time and energy!! See to do anything nowdays it's a big rigomoro...It would have been nice to see how it worked out like a trial run before they just go ahead and block it all together. Close mindness...:angry:

BamaGrits84
07-28-2010, 07:30 PM
:sign0094:

:frantics: :punch: :sick: :muttering: :no: :vomit: :yell: :talktothehand: :timebomb: :yuck: :duh: :biting: :mad0233: :banghead: :headache: :hissyfit: :irked: :fighting0008: :fighting0028: :fighting0023: :fighting009: :flamed: :fryingpan: :grumpy:

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Spiritwalker
07-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Here is more.

What exactly did the judge rule?

The judge ruled that certain provisions are unconstitutional, but parts of the law she approved. The most controversial of which is the duty forced on law enforcement officers to determine if immigrants are people reasonably suspected of being illegal are in fact illegal. That has been struck down temporarily.

The judge said this – the requirement of law enforcement officials to essentially make all possibly illegal immigrants show their papers – is a violation of the separation of powers, a violation of federal sovereignty and federal control of immigration matters.

That argument was the one maintained by the Obama administration. Many civil rights groups argued it was simply discriminatory towards Hispanics.

The judge struck down the law on the ground that it was a violation of the federal control of immigration matters. That's why the controversial provision at least for the time being will not go into effect.

So what happens now?

Some of it will have to do with the legal strategy followed by the state of Arizona here. The state of Arizona could ask the judge to revisit the issue after more fact-finding. They could also go directly to the Court of Appeals – which is the next up in the federal court structure.

I think this is a case very much destined for United States Supreme Court. It is the kind of big issue relating to the responsibilities of state versus federal government on a very important matter, so it's likely, given how much attention this law received that other states will be passing similar laws. I think the Supreme Court will get involved probably next year. The issue that's up in the air is will the law be in effect while the appeals process goes forward? At the moment the answer is no – at least this one provision. But certainly an appeals process will begin. If not immediately, then soon.

Miss Foxy
07-28-2010, 07:32 PM
:frantics::punch::sick::muttering::no::vomit::yell ::sign0094::talktothehand::timebomb::yuck::duh::bi ting::mad0233::banghead::headache::hissyfit::irked ::fighting0008::fighting0028::fighting0023::fighti ng0092::flamed::fryingpan::grumpy:

:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: :censored::censored::censored::censored:

That's how I feel about Matt Serra.. lol... Gee we are very animated gals!!:wink:

J.B.
07-28-2010, 07:38 PM
O.B.A.M.A.

open borders are my agenda

logrus
07-28-2010, 07:43 PM
O.B.A.M.A.

Hey you can't blame the guy at the end of the list ya know lol.

Anyways, Its nice to see my hard earned tax dollar reward illegal non tax payers. :angry:

J.B.
07-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Hey you can't blame the guy at the end of the list ya know lol.

Anyways, Its nice to see my hard earned tax dollar reward illegal non tax payers. :angry:

Like I said in the other thread, I blame all of them.

But Obama is the one who filed a lawsuit to block SB 1070, so yeah...it's him right now :laugh:

VCURamFan
07-28-2010, 07:51 PM
O.B.A.M.A.

Too true to be funny.

logrus
07-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Like I said in the other thread, I blame all of them.

But Obama is the one who filed a lawsuit to block SB 1070, so yeah...it's him right now :laugh:

Yeah, but we both know all the others would have done the same thing.

Spiritwalker
07-28-2010, 07:59 PM
O.B.A.M.A.

I LIKE it!!!

J.B.
07-28-2010, 08:12 PM
It really is everybody's fault.

From Obama right back through Reagan. It's been an ongoing problem that has only gotten worse as we let it go unchecked and we have sat by watching our government throw weak and useless solutions at the problem because they really have no interest in seeing it get fixed.

flo
07-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Well, this is just a preliminary ruling, the judge could go either way after more arguments are presented.

Or Arizona could go to the 9th circuit to appeal but we all know they are the most liberal circuit court on the globe.

flo
07-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Er, I see Spirit already posted ^^^.

O.B.A.M.A.

:laugh:

Sadly, though, I think it's true.

flo
07-28-2010, 09:39 PM
It really is everybody's fault.

From Obama right back through Reagan. It's been an ongoing problem that has only gotten worse as we let it go unchecked and we have sat by watching our government throw weak and useless solutions at the problem because they really have no interest in seeing it get fixed.

Yup. GWB was just as bad; all the pols want the Hispanic vote - legal or no.

logrus
07-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Honestly I don't see our Gov doing anything to correct this situation in my lifetime. Sadly it will probably be something my kids will have to deal with. It seems to be our Govs motto.

County Mike
07-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Jan Brewer for president. Even if the only thing she accomplishes in 4 years is better border security and deportation of illegals, it will be more than most and well worth it.

Bonnie
07-28-2010, 10:25 PM
If the federal government can sue a state and it's governor, I think a state should be able to sue the federal government for dereliction of duty and not doing it's job. If the federal government wants to throw the "supremacy" clause around, then they should be bound by and held accountable for that responsibility. They want to make a big damn deal about a state trying to enforce immigration laws, that it's their job, then they should be held accountable for failure to do that job. I think the court should rule the government can't have it both ways: claim supremacy to enforce a law, but then not only fail to enforce that law but act as an accomplice to those breaking the law.

The court should tell the federal government to PUT UP or SHUT UP....or rather, STEP ASIDE. :angry:

This boggles my mind:
As the U.S. lawsuit notes, Congress has chosen not to make mere unlawful presence in the United States a criminal offense. If the Arizona law contradicts that choice, the federal district judge could strike it down.

Love how they say "mere unlawful presence". I wonder what Congress would say to the families of those murdered/killed by some of these mere unlawful present....":wink:".

J.B.
07-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Seriously, today makes me sad for our country.

It's sad to see that so many people are willing to cave to the notion that we need to compromise with so many people who willingly defy the legal process in place to become a citizen in this country.

If I get in my truck right now and decide to punch the gas-pedal a little bit late through a yellow light, you can bet your ass that the cameras will take my picture, and I will get a ticket that will follow me around and haunt me until I decide to man up and suffer the consequences by paying a fine and maybe losing my driving privileges....Now, what if I held a protest outside of the courthouse in downtown Phoenix and said it was wrong because clearly the camera only took my picture because my truck is red? Would anybody listen to me, or would they all tell me to STFU?

Nothing in the above scenario I describe is far-fetched (except for the idea that I would get out of the ticket because my truck is red). So, if we can actively pursue our own legal, tax-paying citizens, over small civil crimes, then why the hell can't we enforce our own federal immigration laws? Has this country seriously gotten it's head stuck so far up it's own ass that it can't see daylight anymore?

Here are some pictures from downtown Phoenix today...I'm sure this is a proud day for the Obama administration.

http://media.bonnint.net/az/22/2260/226086.jpg
http://media.bonnint.net/az/22/2260/226088.jpg
http://media.bonnint.net/az/22/2260/226090.jpg
http://media.bonnint.net/az/22/2260/226069.jpg

These pictures are good for a laugh too....you would think the Baby Jesus' image had appeared on a piece of toast, or a Virgin Mary statue was crying.

http://media.bonnint.net/az/22/2260/226062.jpg
http://media.bonnint.net/az/22/2260/226065.jpg

For good measure, here's Joe...even he don't know what to do anymore...
http://media.bonnint.net/az/22/2260/226051.jpg

Vizion
07-29-2010, 04:09 AM
Obama

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Bonnie
07-29-2010, 04:36 AM
Obama

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Now there's a bumper sticker for ya! :laugh:

Greta just played a clip from Jay Leno's monologue from The Tonight Show:

I love it! President Obama said this week...his new message to the American people, "Things could be a lot worse." Can you believe it? We've gone from "change you can believe in" to "things could be a lot worse". The sequel is never as good as the original.

....the next slogan: We're all screwed!

That slogan fits in nicely with yours Vizion. :laugh:

They said it on Greta tonight: "If Congress wanted to reform the immigration law, they would." :wink:

Neezar
07-29-2010, 11:48 AM
We've gone from "change you can believe in" to "things could be a lot worse". The sequel is never as good as the original.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

County Mike
07-29-2010, 12:17 PM
I don't understand the pictures with the nazi symbol in the American flag. What is that supposed to represent?

County Mike
07-29-2010, 12:37 PM
"Requiring Arizona law enforcement officials and agencies to determine the immigration status of every person who is arrested burdens lawfully present aliens because their liberty will be restricted while their status is checked," Bolton wrote.

How does that make sense? Typically, someone who is acting lawfully doesn't get arrested. The law only allows police to verify citizenship of people who have been arrested for committing a crime. People who aren't committing crimes don't have anything to worry about, whether here legally or not.

Spiritwalker
07-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Typical Goofball response.... to this whole thing...

But.. but.. but.....IT"S STILL WRONG...It's EVIL.. America is becoming a nazi country...

Then someone with a brain comes along and says...

How does that make sense? Typically, someone who is acting lawfully doesn't get arrested. The law only allows police to verify citizenship of people who have been arrested for committing a crime. People who aren't committing crimes don't have anything to worry about, whether here legally or not.

and what SHOULD happen at this point to the typical goofball...

........ brain starts to turn.. a little smoke wafts out of the ears... eyes get all schrunchy

"Ohhhhh...... "

But that just doesn't seem to happen.. I guesss I just live in a bizarro world.

NateR
07-29-2010, 03:19 PM
How did this Susan Bolton woman get her job? Was she elected or appointed?

America is supposed to be governed by the will of the people (by "the people" I'm referring to those who live here LEGALLY), but when these activist judges cave in to political pressure like this, it makes me think that we really need to overhaul how our justice system works in this country. If a handful of unelected officials can strike down the will of the people with the bang of a silly wooden hammer, then what's the point of even having elections or the going through the whole process of passing bills into law?

MattHughesRocks
07-29-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm so unsurprised I'm not even mad. Never thought this would ever amount to anything anyway.

Bonnie
07-29-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't understand the pictures with the nazi symbol in the American flag. What is that supposed to represent?

I think they're comparing us to the Nazis who exterminated Jews--we're racists who want to exterminate the hispanic race. :rolleyes:

Bonnie
07-29-2010, 05:37 PM

America is supposed to be governed by the will of the people (by "the people" I'm referring to those who live here LEGALLY), but when these activist judges cave in to political pressure like this, it makes me think that we really need to overhaul how our justice system works in this country. If a handful of unelected officials can strike down the will of the people with the bang of a silly wooden hammer, then what's the point of even having elections or the going through the whole process of passing bills into law?

It sounds like some of her reasoning behind her ruling was a little thin. Hopefully, Arizona will appeal and this will go all the way to the Supreme Court. If it does, I hope the justices do not cut it down for the reasons Judge Bolton did.

They are totally going against what most American citizens want which is to secure our borders and reform immigration law. What do we do with those elected officials (Congress) who refuse to do the will of the people? We vote them in and then they do what they want not what we want. By the time we can vote them out, it's usually to late. :wink:

J.B.
07-29-2010, 06:01 PM

Do you really want to know? :rolleyes:

Let's just say that she was nominated by a certain former president with a love for saxophone and interns in cheap berets. :Whistle:

NateR
07-29-2010, 06:45 PM

Let's just say that she was nominated by a certain former president with a love for saxophone and interns in cheap berets. :Whistle:

So, one unelected activist can completely overrule what is clearly the will of the people in Arizona. Yeah, I'm sure that's EXACTLY what the Founding Fathers envisioned for America. :rolleyes: :angry:

rearnakedchoke
07-29-2010, 06:45 PM

that's not fair ... i am sure he even liked the ones without the berets ...

NateR
07-29-2010, 06:48 PM
It sounds like some of her reasoning behind her ruling was a little thin. Hopefully, Arizona will appeal and this will go all the way to the Supreme Court. If it does, I hope the justices do not cut it down for the reasons Judge Bolton did.

They are totally going against what most American citizens want which is to secure our borders and reform immigration law. What do we do with those elected officials (Congress) who refuse to do the will of the people? We vote them in and then they do what they want not what we want. By the time we can vote them out, it's usually to late. :wink:

This is why America was originally designed to center around State governments and the federal government was intended to have very limited powers. That all changed after the Civil War and now we are reaching the point where our federal government is becoming so powerful that it is becoming the greatest threat to freedom in America. Pretty much exactly what the Founding Fathers predicted would happen to any strong centralized government.

Miss Foxy
07-29-2010, 07:13 PM
I am baffled at the Nazi emblems as well. I feel very disrespected as an American and also of German decent. The statues and all that is very "Mexican" basically in the church you are brought up praying to statues and other false icons. Yes, biblically that is incorrect, but its a whole another story trying to convince certain people of that. I wish I could go and speak my mind to them about looking stupid and actually making a senseful debate or protest, but why are they protesting again? lol.. :laugh:

J.B.
07-29-2010, 07:28 PM
So, one unelected activist can completely overrule what is clearly the will of the people in Arizona. Yeah, I'm sure that's EXACTLY what the Founding Fathers envisioned for America. :rolleyes: :angry:

She just did what Obama wanted her to do. Although, you notice he's been kinda quiet yesterday and today, because a lot of people are seeing this as Obama picking on and bullying AZ when it's his administrations job to be fixing the problem.

Basically, it comes down to the government nitpicking it to death and taking even the smallest percentage of the people we are having to deal with into account, and then putting their convenience ahead the rest of the country. For instance, some immigrants may be battered wives that filed for asylum but don't have the proper paperwork yet. We wouldn't want to inconvenience them now would we? We will just let all the real bad guys we are after slip away in the process....:rolleyes: It's friggin stupid!

Spiritwalker
07-29-2010, 07:34 PM
that's not fair ... i am sure he even liked the ones without the berets ...

The bigger the berets the better as I understood it...

J.B.
07-29-2010, 07:37 PM
I am baffled at the Nazi emblems as well. I feel very disrespected as an American and also of German decent. The statues and all that is very "Mexican" basically in the church you are brought up praying to statues and other false icons. Yes, biblically that is incorrect, but its a whole another story trying to convince certain people of that. I wish I could go and speak my mind to them about looking stupid and actually making a senseful debate or protest, but why are they protesting again? lol.. :laugh:

I understand the difference in cultures when it comes to praying to statues and such, and that doesn't bother me.

The reason I brought it up with the pictures though is just because of how silly it is that they are holding prayer vigils over this. Nobody died, and nobody is out to "hunt" anybody just because of their skin color. It's an extreme amount of over the top nonsense in my opinion, and a lot of Latinos around here have said that it does more hurt than it does good.

I just turned on the news, and they are marching in downtown PHX right now...cops are in riot gear...:wacko:

J.B.
07-29-2010, 07:40 PM

They are trying to block off the jail to stop Sheriff Joe from taking people to jail....

Guess where they are gonna end up? On the other side of the wall. :laugh:

VCURamFan
07-29-2010, 07:42 PM

They are trying to block off the jail to stop Sheriff Joe from taking people to jail....

OK, now that's just funny! :laugh:

J.B.
07-29-2010, 07:45 PM
OK, now that's just funny! :laugh:

It's getting pretty serious...

over 30 people arrested already...

Plus, cops HAVE to be on edge right now, because 3 cops just got shot last night, and one died, in a drug bust in south Phoenix....

Miss Foxy
07-29-2010, 07:46 PM

Wth are they marching for? Omg yeah it's already annoying and wasting tax payers money having to go in riot gear to patrol the streets.. Send in the National Guard!!:punch:

VCURamFan
07-29-2010, 07:47 PM
It's getting pretty serious...

over 30 people arrested already...

Plus, cops HAVE to be on edge right now, because 3 cops just got shot last night, and one died, in a drug bust in south Phoenix....
Ignorance is dangerous. :ninja:

flo
07-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Those pictures are so upsetting. I'm sick of all the arguments, we have a right to know who is in our country. I am HAPPY to show my ID, why shouldn't everyone feel the same? At this stage, I don't care if we use racial profiling. Someone brought up the fact that we aren't worried about Canadians crossing the border. Well, we don't have a PROBLEM with them. It's coincidental that the illegal aliens are (for the most part) brown-skinned. If Sweden was our southern border and we had 14 million illegals here, with the accompanying problems associatied with that number, I would be for racially profiling the Swedes too.

Just secure the damn borders and let's go from there. The feds won't do it, Arizona has a right, duty and obligation to protect her citizens.

I'm so sorry to see all the turmoil in Phoenix, JB. I hope you and your family aren't being impacted directly by this mess.

flo
07-29-2010, 08:03 PM

Oh no! That's horrible.

If I hear one more liberal talking head say that crime is down in Arizona and the immigrations laws are working, I think I'll scream.

logrus
07-29-2010, 09:12 PM
J.B I say keep the illegals in Arz, beats them coming to Chicago were we actually protect them with laws.

J.B.
07-29-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm so sorry to see all the turmoil in Phoenix, JB. I hope you and your family aren't being impacted directly by this mess.

It is sad to see because I love Phoenix, and thanks Flo we are all doing good. :)

J.B.
07-29-2010, 09:29 PM
J.B I say keep the illegals in Arz, beats them coming to Chicago were we actually protect them with laws.

LOL, yeah, but at least Chicago can say they are raking in all that extra revenue from sales tax. Most cities here don't charge sales tax on groceries.

logrus
07-29-2010, 11:39 PM
LOL, yeah, but at least Chicago can say they are raking in all that extra revenue from sales tax. Most cities here don't charge sales tax on groceries.

Damn Chicago taxes go up every year on everything. Usually liquor and smokes get it double time. Seriously I think the tax is at 25% now lol.

Hey JB you remember that immigrant hoopla we had in Chicago a couple years back I think it was.

eric84
07-29-2010, 11:48 PM
I was reading an article and noticed this. It just amazes me at how far we have let the attitude of illegal activities go. Basically she is saying the court will not allow the State to criminalize CRIMINALS.

"The court will not allow the state of Arizona to criminalize undocumented immigrants," Garcia told CNN.

J.B.
07-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Damn Chicago taxes go up every year on everything. Usually liquor and smokes get it double time. Seriously I think the tax is at 25% now lol.

Hey JB you remember that immigrant hoopla we had in Chicago a couple years back I think it was.

Was that the "day without a Mexican" thing?

Or the lady who wouldn't leave the Church?

Lots of hoopla about immigration... :laugh:

logrus
07-30-2010, 02:50 AM
Was that the "day without a Mexican" thing?

Or the lady who wouldn't leave the Church?

Lots of hoopla about immigration... :laugh:

I was thinking of the lady who wouldn't leave the church... lol

Spiritwalker
07-30-2010, 03:02 AM
"The court will not allow the state of Arizona to criminalize undocumented immigrants," Garcia told CNN.

Kinda of circular argument there isn't it:huh:

J.B.
07-30-2010, 03:18 AM
Just to go back to something I posted earlier....

I was wrong.

I said that it was surprising that they felt the need for prayer vigils because nobody had died....

Well, somebody DID die last night. A police officer was gunned down, and 3 others shot, but I don't suppose these protesters (who are largely from OUT OF STATE, not to mention out of this country) cared about praying them or their families.

Why bother praying for them? They are the evil nazi's right?

In fact, let's go ahead and hold a major protest and DARE the cops to arrest us the VERY NEXT DAY. We will even chain ourselves to the front door of the jail. :rolleyes:

Now, I know this was the first day of SB 1070, and you had all these protests planned but WTF? The judge took the teeth out of the bill...she neutered it. It's not the big bad wolf that you were all afraid of. Also, does anybody else think that POSSIBLY these moronic activists could have gained some brownie points with the general public had they said "hey, we are not gonna give the cops trouble today, let's grieve for the fallen officer"?

The cops went ahead and let them have their party in the streets. Let them lay in front of the light-rail, chain themselves to doors, and block traffic all day long. Can't bother confronting them and FORCING them to move like you would with stray cattle, because then its "Viva La Revolución"!!! The crazy protesters who are supposed to be a "peaceful" people looking for equal treatment would end up in a full scale riot, like they did in LA a few years ago, and then the Sheriffs dept would have 20 million dollars in lawsuits for having to beat the tar out them. It makes me sick to think that these people try and compare this to the civil rights movement. Sorry, but African Americans were only seeking the SAME treatment as everybody else that they rightfully DO deserve. In this case, these people are seeking SPECIAL treatment that they have NO right to in the first place.

logrus
07-30-2010, 04:48 AM

I was wrong.

I said that it was surprising that they felt the need for prayer vigils because nobody had died....

Well, somebody DID die last night. A police officer was gunned down, and 3 others shot, but I don't suppose these protesters (who are largely from OUT OF STATE, not to mention out of this country) cared about praying them or their families.

In fact, let's go ahead and hold a major protest and DARE the cops to arrest us the VERY NEXT DAY. We will even chain ourselves to the front door of the jail. :rolleyes:

Now, I know this was the first day of SB 1070, and you had all these protests planned but WTF? The judge took the teeth out of the bill...she neutered it. It's not the big bad wolf that you were all afraid of. Also, does anybody else think that POSSIBLY these moronic activists could have gained some brownie points with the general public had they said "hey, we are not gonna give the cops trouble today, let's grieve for the fallen officer"?

The cops went ahead and let them have their party in the streets. Let them lay in front of the light-rail, chain themselves to doors, and block traffic all day long. Can't bother confronting them and FORCING them to move like you would with stray cattle, because then its "Viva La Revolución"!!! The crazy protesters who are supposed to be a "peaceful" people looking for equal treatment would end up in a full scale riot, like they did in LA a few years ago, and then the Sheriffs dept would have 20 million dollars in lawsuits for having to beat the tar out them. It makes me sick to think that these people try and compare this to the civil rights movement. Sorry, but African Americans were only seeking the SAME treatment as everybody else that they rightfully DO deserve. In this case, these people are seeking SPECIAL treatment that they have NO right to in the first place.

Well said buddy

Bonnie
07-30-2010, 05:14 AM

I was wrong.

Did you know that in certain counties a sheriff has the right once someone is arrested to ask them if they are illegal? Guess what sheriff has that right? :laugh:

If you guessed Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, you guessed right! :laugh:

I think that is priceless given Judge Bolton's ruling. Go Sheriff Joe! :ninja:

flo
07-30-2010, 05:23 AM

I was wrong.

++++

J.B.
07-30-2010, 05:41 AM
Did you know that in certain counties a sheriff has the right once someone is arrested to ask them if they are illegal? Guess what sheriff has that right? :laugh:

If you guessed Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, you guessed right! :laugh:

I think that is priceless given Judge Bolton's ruling. Go Sheriff Joe! :ninja:

That's the 287-G law....

Any sheriff's department can get in on that, but they have to have their deputies trained by ICE.

Also, that only comes AFTER they have been arrested. The crux of SB 1070 was the ability to inquire on their status before they had been formally arrested.

However, you are right Bonnie, it is priceless that the judge thinks it's okay for us to make a simple phone call to inquire AFTER they have been arrested, but not while they are detained. Seriously, cops can make you wait while they check for warrants, and they make mistakes on that sometimes too, so how is this ANY different?

Bonnie
07-30-2010, 06:10 AM
That's the 287-G law....

Any sheriff's department can get in on that, but they have to have their deputies trained by ICE.

Also, that only comes AFTER they have been arrested. The crux of SB 1070 was the ability to inquire on their status before they had been formally arrested.

However, you are right Bonnie, it is priceless that the judge thinks it's okay for us to make a simple phone call to inquire AFTER they have been arrested, but not while they are detained. Seriously, cops can make you wait while they check for warrants, and they make mistakes on that sometimes too, so how is this ANY different?

The way her ruling reads it's like she's made it "legal" to be illegal. Tell me what use it does to go after employers of illegals if she said it's not illegal for them to work here. :wacko: I just watched a clip of Rick Sanchez from CNN berating an AZ congressman and lecturing him on how illegals pay taxes, how because of illegals 7.9 billion dollars went to social security that the congressman will benefit from but illegals won't. Every time the congressman would say something, that asshole would interrupt him and say, "Your wrong again congressman." He was talking very disrepectfully and distainfully to that congressman who was a guest. You know I never cared for that Rick Sanchez, but after seeing that B.S., I cannot absolutely freaking stand the guy!

Rev. Al was on Anderson Cooper and was going on and on about the bill and racial profiling--how "citizens" would be stopped and asked if they were illegal because of the color of their skin. Said he was working with groups in Arizona to protect their civil rights. :rolleyes:

But there was one man they showed who is hispanic (first generation American), his mom and dad came here legally, who is for the bill. He is all for legal immigration but not for illegals. Said he worked in a bank and saw firsthand how illegals work and scam the system, get food stamps, get free medical help, lots of identity theft, etc... He said there are conservative hispanics like him that see the harm illegals are doing to our country and that are for this bill.

J.B.
07-30-2010, 08:03 AM
The way her ruling reads it's like she's made it "legal" to be illegal. Tell me what use it does to go after employers of illegals if she said it's not illegal for them to work here. :wacko: I just watched a clip of Rick Sanchez from CNN berating a AZ congressman and lecturing him on how illegals pay taxes, how because of illegals 7.9 billion dollars went to social security that the congressman will benefit from but illegals won't. Every time the congressman would say something, that asshole would interrupt him and say, "Your wrong again congressman." He was talking very disrepectfully and distainfully to that congressman who was a guest. You know I never cared for that Rick Sanchez, but after seeing that B.S., I cannot absolutely freaking stand the guy!

Well, from what I have gathered she shot down the part of SB 1070 that made it an arrestable crime for an illegal immigrant to solicit work because it's a violation of freedom of speech. :wacko:

Now I will also admit, I don't watch the network news stations anymore. I'm a radio junkie so I mostly am tuned into local Phoenix radio. I used to enjoy Bill O'Reilly, and still do, but since moving back to AZ I rarely turn on TV when I am at home unless it's to watch sports or play XBOX. So, I'm not as informed "across the board" as quick as I used to be. However, it really has become so tiresome that I can only stomach it in doses anyway, so maybe that's a good thing! :laugh:

Rev. Al was going on and on about the bill and racial profiling--how "citizens" would be stopped and asked if they were illegal because of the color of their skin. Said he was working with groups in Arizona to protect their civil rights. :rolleyes:

I am trying to decide which response would be best for Big Al....

a) Laughter

b) Anger

c) Drop the boys off at the pool

"C"....final answer...

But there was one man they showed who is hispanic (first generation American), his mom and dad came "legally" here, who is for the bill. He is all for legal immigration but not for illegals. Said he worked in a bank and saw firsthand how illegals work and scam the system, get food stamps, get free medical help, lots of identity theft, etc... He said there are conservative hispanics like him that see the harm illegals are doing to our country and that are for this bill.

Yes, and he is not alone. :wink:

Arizona is PROUD of it's deep Latino heritage. :)

Miss Foxy
07-30-2010, 04:59 PM
There are a lot of latinos who are either second or first generation "legal" Americans who are all for this bill. The media does not really cover that. I personally try not to get involved in debates with certain family members who are totally educated and highly successful. When we debate they are so quick to judge me and other latinos who are in support of this bill. Their biggest argument is educating illegals, before they turn into criminals.. My comeback is ok well that's what we have law enforcement for!! Meanwhile our American children are having so many educational cutbacks it's insane. I hate feeling this way like I am being selfish, but I get up everyday and put work in and want the best for my country...I am frowned upon with certain latin groups and frankly I base my vote on my morals not skin color or my tax bracket. I am sick of it and I feel like going to Phoenix and getting in the mix as a 31yr old single mother "latina" who is sick of the reverse racism!!!:punch:

Bonnie
07-30-2010, 05:30 PM
There are a lot of latinos who are either second or first generation "legal" Americans who are all for this bill. The media does not really cover that. I personally try not to get involved in debates with certain family members who are totally educated and highly successful. When we debate they are so quick to judge me and other latinos who are in support of this bill. Their biggest argument is educating illegals, before they turn into criminals.. My comeback is ok well that's what we have law enforcement for!! Meanwhile our American children are having so many educational cutbacks it's insane. I hate feeling this way like I am being selfish, but I get up everyday and put work in and want the best for my country...I am frowned upon with certain latin groups and frankly I base my vote on my morals not skin color or my tax bracket. I am sick of it and I feel like going to Phoenix and getting in the mix as a 31yr old single mother "latina" who is sick of the reverse racism!!!:punch:

That's what this man said too, Melissa, that because of his views about illegals, he's not popular with a lot of people who are against this bill including members of his own family. He said he's proud of his Mexican heritage but he's American.

Miss Foxy
07-30-2010, 06:49 PM
That's what this man said too, Melissa, that because of his views about illegals, he's not popular with a lot of people who are against this bill including members of his own family. He said he's proud of his Mexican heritage but he's American.

Good for him to speak up!! It's awful, because we arent traitors.. Don't get me wrong I do feel sorry for people that came here for a better life and do not bother or ask for anything, but I believe they will be blessed somehow. I feel weak for people who hit hard times just like many of us Americans who have lost our homes and jobs. It's really a sad time right now, but laws are made for reasons to protect us all.