PDA

View Full Version : SB 1070 is already working, and it doesn't take effect until next week...

J.B.
07-25-2010, 08:27 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100725/ts_nm/us_usa_immigration_arizona

Migrants sell up and flee Arizona ahead of crackdown

By Tim Gaynor Tim Gaynor 1 hr 36 mins ago

PHOENIX (Reuters) Nicaraguan mother Lorena Aguilar hawks a television set and a few clothes on the baking sidewalk outside her west Phoenix apartment block.

A few paces up the street, her undocumented Mexican neighbor Wendi Villasenor touts a kitchen table, some chairs and a few dishes as her family scrambles to get out of Arizona ahead of a looming crackdown on illegal immigrants.

"Everyone is selling up the little they have and leaving," said Villasenor, 31, who is headed for Pennsylvania. "We have no alternative. They have us cornered."

The two women are among scores of illegal immigrant families across Phoenix hauling the contents of their homes into the yard this weekend as they rush to sell up and get out before the state law takes effect on Thursday.

The law, the toughest imposed by any U.S. state to curb illegal immigration, seeks to drive more than 400,000 undocumented day laborers, landscapers, house cleaners, chambermaids and other workers out of Arizona, which borders Mexico.

It makes being an illegal immigrant a state crime and requires state and local police, during lawful contact, to investigate the status of anyone they reasonably suspect of being an illegal immigrant.

The U.S. government estimates 100,000 unauthorized migrants left Arizona after the state passed an employer sanctions law three years ago requiring companies to verify workers' status using a federal computer system. There are no figures for the number who have left since the new law passed in April.

Some are heading back to Mexico or to neighboring states. Others are staying put and taking their chances.

In a sign of a gathering exodus, Mexican businesses from grocers and butcher shops to diners and beauty salons have shut their doors in recent weeks as their owners and clients leave.

On Saturday and Sunday, Reuters counted dozens of impromptu yard sales in Latino neighborhoods in central and west Phoenix/

"They wanted to drive Hispanics out of Arizona and they have succeeded even before the law even comes into effect," said Aguilar, 28, a mother of three young children who was also offering a few cherished pictures and a stereo at one of five sales on the same block.

She said she had taken in just $20 as "everyone is selling and nobody wants to buy."

LEGAL RESIDENTS FLEE

Arizona straddles the principal highway for human and drug smugglers heading into the United States from Mexico.

The state's Republican governor, Jan Brewer, signed the law in April in a bid to curb violence and cut crime stemming from illegal immigration.

Polls show the measure is backed by a solid majority of Americans and by 65 percent of Arizona voters in this election year for some state governors, all of the U.S. House of Representatives and about a third of the 100-seat Senate.

Opponents say the law is unconstitutional and a recipe for racial profiling. It is being challenged in seven lawsuits, including one filed by President Barack Obama's administration, which wants a preliminary injunction to block the law.

A federal judge heard arguments from the lawyers for the Justice Department and Arizona on Thursday and could rule at any time.

The fight over the Arizona law has complicated the White House's effort to break the deadlock with Republicans in Congress to pass a comprehensive immigration law, an already difficult task before November's elections.

While the law targets undocumented migrants, legal residents and their U.S.-born children are getting caught up in the rush to leave Arizona.

Mexican housewife Gabriela Jaquez, 37, said she is selling up and leaving for New Mexico with her husband, who is a legal resident, and two children born in Phoenix.

"Under the law, if you transport an illegal immigrant, you are committing a crime," she said as she sold children's clothes at a yard sale with three other families. "They could arrest him for driving me to the shops."

Lunaly Bustillos, a legal resident from Mexico, hoped to sell some clothes, dumbbells and an ornamental statue on Sunday before her family heads for Albuquerque, New Mexico, on Monday.

"It makes me sad and angry too because I feel I have the right to be here," said Bustillos, 17, who recently graduated from high school in Phoenix.

(Editing by John O'Callaghan)

Chuck
07-25-2010, 08:55 PM
I think that's good news personally... bad for the states that the illegals are fleeing too though. I know Florida is trying to push a similar law through here. I'm all for it.

Things like this are sad though:

"They wanted to drive Hispanics out of Arizona and they have succeeded even before the law even comes into effect," said Aguilar, 28, a mother of three young children who was also offering a few cherished pictures and a stereo at one of five sales on the same block.

No. They want to drive illegals out of Arizona. There is a difference. I'm sure any law abiding, legal resident is more than welcome to live in AZ.

Lunaly Bustillos, a legal resident from Mexico, hoped to sell some clothes, dumbbells and an ornamental statue on Sunday before her family heads for Albuquerque, New Mexico, on Monday.

"It makes me sad and angry too because I feel I have the right to be here," said Bustillos, 17, who recently graduated from high school in Phoenix.
Well if you're there legally you absolutely have a right to be there. Why leave? I would imagine there would be a lot of job openings there if as many people are leaving as they say. Maybe you could get a good job and improve your situation?

NateR
07-25-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm still amazed at just how much the media has lied to the American people and skewed public opinion on this bill. Just the other day I heard someone at Walmart commenting on the Arizona bill and they said, "They shouldn't be allowed to execute people just because they are illegal immigrants." :confused:

Nobody is talking about executing anyone. :blink: This is just more lies and manipulation that seems to have become accepted and commonplace coming from the media and our current administration.

J.B.
07-25-2010, 09:55 PM
I think that's good news personally... bad for the states that the illegals are fleeing too though. I know Florida is trying to push a similar law through here. I'm all for it.

Things like this are sad though:

No. They want to drive illegals out of Arizona. There is a difference. I'm sure any law abiding, legal resident is more than welcome to live in AZ.

Well if you're there legally you absolutely have a right to be there. Why leave? I would imagine there would be a lot of job openings there if as many people are leaving as they say. Maybe you could get a good job and improve your situation?

I couldn't agree more Chuck.

Nobody is telling that kid he has to leave, except his parents. He can complain about his rights to be wherever he wants next year when he turns 18, and then he is more than welcome here in Arizona.

The opponents act like we want all Hispanics out of AZ, but anybody with two eyes and working brain can take look around here and realize that is NEVER GONNA HAPPEN, and that is NOT what WE want. It's the same thing the attorney representing AZ against the Obama administration's lawsuit told a federal judge last week.

The best part of that whole article is this line....

The law, the toughest imposed by any U.S. state to curb illegal immigration, seeks to drive more than 400,000 undocumented day laborers, landscapers, house cleaners, chambermaids and other workers out of Arizona, which borders Mexico.

That would be the best news I've heard in a long time...if it were actually true.

Arizona could damn sure use an extra 400,000 jobs. :laugh:

J.B.
07-25-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm still amazed at just how much the media has lied to the American people and skewed public opinion on this bill. Just the other day I heard someone at Walmart commenting on the Arizona bill and they said, "They shouldn't be allowed to execute people just because they are illegal immigrants." :confused:

Nobody is talking about executing anyone. :blink: This is just more lies and manipulation that seems to have become accepted and commonplace coming from the media and our current administration.

:laugh:

Some of the criminal illegals deserve execution, but not because of their immigration status.

J.B.
07-25-2010, 10:12 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Men-wait-near-train-station-stow-away-Mexico-City-after/photo//100725/ids_photos_ts/r2718811289.jpg//s:/nm/us_usa_immigration_arizona#photoViewer=/100725/ids_photos_ts/r2718811289.jpg

Here is a fun little slideshow from Yahoo....

3 Mexicans fail to illegally enter Arizona

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20100725/i/r2718811289.jpg?x=400&y=266&q=85&sig=OIk74JBlvuZ3tIuHs0jQ2A--

Oh no...what are we gonna do now?

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20100723/i/r357793462.jpg?x=400&y=266&q=85&sig=2VUNSK1.jHbxtgfPQxolHA--

Wait amigos! I have an idea!

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20100723/i/r3225731643.jpg?x=248&y=345&q=85&sig=GvMPlp5gFenUFSQgbPBFxw--

We will just catch an illegal train ride back to Mexico...

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20100723/i/r734428914.jpg?x=400&y=265&q=85&sig=qHC4Qbk0.0hcvP32kmd45A--

:rolleyes:

flo
07-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Just the other day I heard someone at Walmart commenting on the Arizona bill and they said, "They shouldn't be allowed to execute people just because they are illegal immigrants." :confused:

Good Lord Almighty.

And this was probably a voter. :ninja:

Oh well, the talking heads are just as duped, they read something online so it must be true!

flo
07-25-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm glad it's working, JB. If I was running the country, here's my plan. :)

1) Secure the border. And I mean SECURE. Nat'l guard on the border (not just a token show of force) and a humongous wall, surveillance systems, more INS border guards that are actually on patrol as opposed to desk jobs.

After the border is secure:

2) Offer the hardworking and law-abiding illegal aliens a "path" to citizenship. They would have to learn English, pay a fine for breaking our laws by entering the country illegally and take the citizenship test; then they are Americans and I would welcome them with open arms and gratitude for their hard work.

3) Deport all Mexican nationals (or any other illegal aliens) convicted of a felony that are currently in our prison systems back to Mexico.

J.B.
07-25-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm glad it's working, JB. If I was running the country, here's my plan. :)

1) Secure the border. And I mean SECURE. Nat'l guard on the border (not just a token show of force) and a humongous wall, surveillance systems, more INS border guards that are actually on patrol as opposed to desk jobs.

2) Offer the hardworking and law-abiding illegal aliens a "path" to citizenship. They would have to learn English, pay a fine for breaking our laws by entering the country illegally and take the citizenship test; then they are Americans and I would welcome them with open arms and gratitude for their hard work.

3) Deport all Mexican nationals (or any other illegal aliens) convicted of a felony that are currently in our prison systems back to Mexico.

I'm with ya Flo, but the only gray area is the "path" to citizenship at this point. I am one who has been somewhat vocal over the years about the fact that not all of the people who are here illegally are bad people, and some things do deserved to be looked at on a more case by case level, but I'm not sure I believe that's the smartest idea when considering the future.

Reagan gave them amnesty in the 80's and that basically opened the flood gates for them to think they would just get it again. When we cracked down on the California and Texas borders in the 90's, it started forcing all of the border jumpers into the Arizona desert, and AZ was the a very booming economy at the time so it was the perfect thing to attract people looking to work 15 hour days for under a dollar an hour.

Now, we are sick of the BS, and it's gotta stop. Besides all the violent criminal activity being engaged in by scores of illegal immigrants, people don't realize that in 2009 over 400 dead bodies were recovered in the desert/mountains of illegals trying to get into America. There have already been like 150 in AZ this year, and it's to the point where we have to store their bodies in a refrigerated truck! Oh, and who do you think the ACLU's, the La Razas, and the Huffington Post people blame? The people enforcing the law. Their mentality is that if WE didn't enforce the law, these people wouldn't be forced to hike to through such remote areas of the desert....

That kind of stupidity leaves me to think it's a waste of time to even bother talking to people in this day and age. :laugh:

logrus
07-25-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm with ya Flo, but the only gray area is the "path" to citizenship at this point. I am one who has been somewhat vocal over the years about the fact that not all of the people who are here illegally are bad people, and some things do deserved to be looked at on a more case by case level, but I'm not sure I believe that's the smartest idea when considering the future.

Reagan gave them amnesty in the 80's and that basically opened the flood gates for them to think they would just get it again. When we cracked down on the California and Texas borders in the 90's, it started forcing all of the border jumpers into the Arizona desert, and AZ was the a very booming economy at the time so it was the perfect thing to attract people looking to work 15 hour days for under a dollar an hour.

Now, we are sick of the BS, and it's gotta stop. Besides all the violent criminal activity being engaged in by scores of illegal immigrants, people don't realize that in 2009 over 400 dead bodies were recovered in the desert/mountains of illegals trying to get into America. There have already been like 150 in AZ this year, and it's to the point where we have to store their bodies in a refrigerated truck! Oh, and who do you think the ACLU's, the La Razas, and the Huffington Post people blame? The people enforcing the law. Their mentality is that if WE didn't enforce the law, these people wouldn't be forced to hike to through such remote areas of the desert....

That kind of stupidity leaves me to think it's a waste of time to even bother talking to people in this day and age. :laugh:

Uh oh, you blamed Reagan, Now you brought down the wrath of Nate on you....

J.B.
07-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Uh oh, you blamed Reagan, Now you brought down the wrath of Nate on you....

It's Reagen, Bush Sr, Clinton, W. Bush, and Obama's fault.

It's also John McCain and John Kyl's fault.

Basically, if you got voted into office in the last 30 years, you are partially to blame.

Spiritwalker
07-26-2010, 03:43 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100725/ts_nm/us_usa_immigration_arizona

GOOD JOB!!!!!!

Spiritwalker
07-26-2010, 03:47 AM
It's Reagen, Bush Sr, Clinton, W. Bush, and Obama's fault.

It's also John McCain and John Kyl's fault.

Basically, if you got voted into office in the last 30 years, you are partially to blame.

And according to others.. if you are an American...it's partially your fault as well... for being so successful that others want to come here.

J.B.
07-26-2010, 04:34 AM
And according to others.. if you are an American...it's partially your fault as well... for being so successful that others want to come here.

That's a good one!

I suppose it's our fault that their governments are corrupt too. :laugh:

Bonnie
07-26-2010, 08:11 AM

Well, when you have people like Bill Richardson, NM's governor, and some of these other governors (maybe even Rick Perry-TX :wink:) spouting that garbage about "racial profiling" and also bashing one of their own peers, fellow governor, Jan Brewer, it's not a great surprise that a lot people are just listening to what they're saying. People assume that these politicians have actually read the bill and know what they're talking about. :rolleyes:

Supposedly Rick Perry said he's wouldn't attend this "governor's meeting/conference", originally to be hosted by Jan Brewer in AZ, but is now supposed to take place in New Mexico. Jan Brewer cancelled it when several Mexican governors and I believe some U.S. governors refused to participate in it since Arizona was hosting it. Now Bill Richardson has said he will host it in NM. I hope Perry means what he says and doesn't attend. I think Texas should back Arizona up and if Perry doesn't, I hope he's voted out of office come election time. And I don't like Bill Richardson! :angry: :punch:

Chuck
07-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Well, when you have people like Bill Richardson, NM's governor, and some of these other governors (maybe even Rick Perry-TX :wink:) spouting that garbage about "racial profiling" and also bashing one of their own peers, fellow governor, Jan Brewer, it's not a great surprise that a lot people are just listening to what they're saying. People assume that these politicians have actually read the bill and know what they're talking about. :rolleyes:

Supposedly Rick Perry said he's wouldn't attend this "governor's meeting/conference", originally to be hosted by Jan Brewer in AZ, but is now supposed to take place in New Mexico. Jan Brewer cancelled it when several Mexican governors and I believe some U.S. governors refused to participate in it since Arizona was hosting it. Now Bill Richardson has said he will host it in NM. I hope Perry means what he says and doesn't attend. I think Texas should back Arizona up and if Perry doesn't, I hope he's voted out of office come election time. And I don't like Bill Richardson! :angry: :punch:

It's all about perspective.. the other states don't care as much or see it as racial profiling because they don't have the same problems with it that AZ does. If the illegals are truly fleeing in the numbers that are reported then it really won't be long until the other states start to feel the pain that AZ has.

What I wonder is.... how much will this legislation cut down on the people actually crossing in AZ? Is the threat of having to prove your citizenship enough to keep them from crossing in AZ or will they still cross in AZ but then move on to other states?

That's one nice things about being in FL.... not nearly the problem with illegals "crossing" our border.... especially during hurricane season!!

County Mike
07-26-2010, 02:22 PM
That's one nice things about being in FL.... not nearly the problem with illegals "crossing" our border.... especially during hurricane season!!

I thought they all just paddled over from Cuba.

Spiritwalker
07-26-2010, 02:48 PM
I thought they all just paddled over from Cuba.

Dude.. that's what the BP oil "accident" is supposed to stop..

rearnakedchoke
07-26-2010, 05:00 PM

That's a good one!

I suppose it's our fault that their governments are corrupt too. :laugh:

well, technically, the people that hire these people for the cheap labour are to blame ... to me it is all supply and demand ... if there were no jobs being offered, i am sure there would be a lot less people pouring over the border ...

Spiritwalker
07-26-2010, 05:23 PM
well, technically, the people that hire these people for the cheap labour are to blame ... to me it is all supply and demand ... if there were no jobs being offered, i am sure there would be a lot less people pouring over the border ...

So we don't have jobs for "unskilled manual workers" to do? How about really prosecuting those that hire illegals?.. And I don't just mean illegals from Mexico.. but from anywhere.

J.B.
07-26-2010, 05:41 PM

Of course if there were less jobs here there would be less people coming over, but that's not really the point.

What about the ones who come here and steal people's identities (including young children and the elderly) so they can go get jobs at Mcdonalds or other normally law-abiding businesses?

It's also hard to compete to with people who are desperate to work 10-15 hour days for pennies on the dollar.

County Mike
07-26-2010, 06:09 PM
So we don't have jobs for "unskilled manual workers" to do? How about really prosecuting those that hire illegals?.. And I don't just mean illegals from Mexico.. but from anywhere.

They just did that in NJ. Several business were raided and "undocumented workers" were identified. The businesses were fined. They didn't do anything with the illegals though. Just sent them on their way.

Spiritwalker
07-26-2010, 06:19 PM
They just did that in NJ. Several business were raided and "undocumented workers" were identified. The businesses were fined. They didn't do anything with the illegals though. Just sent them on their way.

Waste of resources.. should have had both teams in place. Or better still, the group that did the raid should have had deportation powers.

AZ should have plenty of jobs. Put more people on the boarders. It doesn't have to be federal, the local government can hire citizens to partol the boarder.. pay them a fair wage, and even give bouns toasters to the people that catch the most boarder crossers..

I personall feel that anyone that has a big issue with this really needs to think about what their real problem is.

If your in the country legally, then there is no worries. If you don't like getting stopped and asked for ID cause your in a specific area that is flooded with people that shouldn't be there.. leave.

rearnakedchoke
07-26-2010, 08:29 PM

of course, but those people would rather collect welfare than actually work for less ...

Miss Foxy
07-26-2010, 08:33 PM
I think this is great as an American. It really will help the economy and people of the state of Arizona. Just to kinda dip my nose in though. I think some people fully don't understand the bill. I think the latin media is not providing the latin community with the full truth. They are making it a race issue. I can be soft to that side for any person regardless of race.:cry:

Rev
07-28-2010, 03:33 PM
If the government would cut welfare by 75%, all those jobs that people think they are to good for would suddenly be snatched up by some of the lazy crybabies out there and the demand for the illegals would be down.

The blame can be passed in all directions, in the end it doesnt matter who is to blame as long as it gets fixed.

Spiritwalker
07-28-2010, 04:07 PM
of course, but those people would rather collect welfare than actually work for less ...

Working gets you noticed, getting noticed increases your worth, increasing your worth earns you more pay.

I understand people needing assistance sometimes. I was on unenployment for 4 months a while back.. I HATED it.. I needed help, but Unenployment is something that you pay into also.

J.B.
07-28-2010, 06:42 PM
The federal judge just shot down the controversial parts of SB 1070. The law will still take effect tomorrow, but cops won't be required to ask about immigration status, immigrants won't be required to carry their paperwork, and it won't be a crime for illegals to solicit work in public places. These parts are "on hold" until they can be worked out by higher courts.

I'm sure Obama feels like he accomplished something today.

What a joke...