PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver kills MMA

VCURamFan
07-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Eaerlier this month they impeached the Chairman because he forced through the necessary paper work for UFC 115 (ARTICLE (http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/mma/Vancouver+fires+head+city+athletic+commission+Mirk o+Mladenovic/3257878/story.html)). Now they've completely removed any legislatoin allowing for MMA & disbanded the AC:

The great mixed martial arts experiment in Vancouver, B.C., has come to an end.

City officials voted to disband the North Vancouver Athletic Commission Monday night, effectively insuring that MMA events will no longer be held in the Western Canadian city, local Web site NorthShoreOutlook.com (http://www.bclocalnews.com/greater_vancouver/northshoreoutlook/news/98924064.html) reported.

"I've watched enough of it [Ultimate Fighting Championship] channel surfing to know that I find it repugnant ... barbaric," Coun. Pam Bookham was quoted as saying in the report.

The news comes after former chairman Mirko Mladenovic, a supporter of MMA, was impeached (http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/mma/Vancouver+fires+head+city+athletic+commission+Mirk o+Mladenovic/3257878/story.html) and replaced by city bureaucrat Dave Rudberg. At that point, it appeared as though the end was near for MMA in Vancouver.

For MMA supporters in the Olympic town, this puts an end to a frustrating process which began in June 2007 when the sport was banned in the city. In June 2009, officials began entertaining the idea of allowing MMA events to be held during a one-year trial period. That plan stalled several times until it was decided in December 2009 that MMA events could be held during a two-year trial period in the city under the supervision of the Vancouver Athletic Commission.

Months later, the UFC announced that they would hold an event at GM Place in Vancouver in June 2010. But that event almost never materialized as high insurance rates and other red tape almost forced the organization to move the event to Cincinnati, OH.

But UFC 115 did take place at GM Place, and all week long prior to the event, UFC officials promised that the organization would return to Vancouver sooner rather than later.

Sadly for MMA fans in Western Canada, city officials had other plans in mind.

J.B.
07-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Ridiculous.

In other funny Canadian news, some drunk guy in Winnipeg called 911 and demanded that the Mounties come down here to Phoenix and bring the Winnipeg Jets back to Canada. The man then berated the operator and called her names. When the operator told him she was sending the cops, he replied by telling her to have them pick up some smokes.

cubsfan47
07-25-2010, 02:55 PM
On the other hand, they welcome MMA to Montreal, and many other cities such as Edmonton.
As my Canadian friends have always argued, there's quite a bit of variations in attitudes across Canada. The same thing is true in Europe. Consider the comparison of the UK and Germany.

Tyburn
07-25-2010, 03:33 PM
woah! thats well harsh...they disbanded the whole athletic commision??? they didnt realize well in advance the chairman was dodgey??? talk about covering your backs...

I dont think MMA are missing out personally on much...wait for them to set up a new commission, and in a few years try again...until then, focus on the rest of Canada...once that province is the only place that doesnt allow MMA they will find it politically to their advantage to make the needed legislature reform

...at which point the UFC can refer them to Strikeforce or Bellator :tongue0011::laugh:

Tyburn
07-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Consider the comparison of the UK

Many love MMA in this country...its is in its infancy...and the loss of Cage Rage has set us back...but online we are picking up once again...I'm not the only brit to do video predictions...there are now two or three...I have yet to find anyone who was doing it before me...but there might be someone I suppose.

I'm a pioneer :w00t::rolleyes:

Blade
07-25-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm glad Cage Rage came to an end, it was dreadful.

BoneDoc
07-25-2010, 10:52 PM
If UFC goes to Seattle, wouldn't that be close enough for VanCouver? Why is Vancouver higher on the priority list than a city in the States with in throwing distance?

J.B.
07-26-2010, 12:40 AM
If UFC goes to Seattle, wouldn't that be close enough for VanCouver? Why is Vancouver higher on the priority list than a city in the States with in throwing distance?

Well, Vancouver is definitely more of an international market. When people think of Canada, Vancouver sits right near the top of the list. When we think of American cities, Seattle is mid-level.

I do wish they started hitting the bigger American markets more thoroughly though. I find it a little shocking that that last time a UFC event happened in the Staples Center in L.A. was when Matt beat Royce. Then there is Chicago, which it's mind boggling that they have only managed to come there once. Then of course, there is Phoenix. We have had the Unified Rules passed into law here for well over 2 years and many of the UFC's fighters were ASU wrestlers, like Cain Velasquez, Ryan Bader, CB Dollaway, and Aaron Simpson.

I think ultimately it comes down to logistics and probably even some politics on the side of the individual commissions. Commissions have always been latent with corruption and good-ol-boy politics, and while I'm not saying that is DEFINITELY the case, the UFC wouldn't say anything about it if it was. They know better than to step on the toes of the states they want to sell their product in.

flo
07-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Well, I certainly expect Ms. Bookman banned the repugnant and barbaric sport of boxing as well. :wink:

Oh well, it's Vancouver's loss.

Seattle is WAAAAY more liberal than Vancouver, I would be surprised if they welcomed MMA.

J.B.
07-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Well, I certainly expect Ms. Bookman banned the repugnant and barbaric sport of boxing as well. :wink:

Oh well, it's Vancouver's loss.

Seattle is WAAAAY more liberal than Vancouver, I would be surprised if they welcomed MMA.

No athletic commission means no boxing as well...'

But I just noticed something that seems to be confusing...

The city of "North Vancouver", not the actual Vancouver where UFC 115 was held, is the city that disbanded it's Athletic Commission.

Vancouver just fired their head of the AC. So Vancouver is still technically going to have MMA...:rolleyes:

Seriously, if they don't want to embrace it, who cares? Yet, it's funny because they do embrace hockey players who beat the snot out of each other and are usually missing half their teeth. To each his own.

When the UFC was in Vancouver it got blamed for a hate crime....probably best just to go somewhere far away from there. :laugh: