PDA

View Full Version : Strikeforce to hold 4-Women 135lb Tourney

VCURamFan
07-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Pari of articles. One from MMAMania:

Strikeforce is moving forward with a four woman, single elimination tournament on Aug. 13 at the upcoming "Challengers X" Showtime event from the Dodge Theatre in Phoenix, Arizona.

The winner of that tournament becomes the number two contender to the Strikeforce Woman's Welterweight Championship, which will be decided when current division queenpin Sarah Kaufman defends her strap against the crafty Roxanne Modafferi.

So why number two?

Well, dazzling Dutch damsel Marloes Coenen dibbed the number one contender spot after she slimmed down from 145-pounds following her gruesome sepulture at the hands of "Cyborg" Santos earlier this year.

Coenen will fight the winner of Kaufman vs. Modafferi, setting up a third title bout for 2011 that will include one of those three ladies versus one of these four:
Miesha "Takedown" Tate (9-2)
Carina "Beauty But The Beast" Damm (15-3)
Hitomi "Girlfight Monster" Akano (15-7)
Maiju Kujala (4-1)
Tournament rules and the draw to determine the semifinal match-ups won't be revealed until the official "Challengers X" weigh-ins on Thursday, Aug. 12. So not only does the winner have to compete twice in one night, they have to go in blind until a day before the contest.

Each of the three tournament bouts are scheduled for three, three-minute rounds.

The Aug. 13 telecast will air live at 11 p.m. ET beginning with the two semi-final bouts. The winners of each bout will compete in the tournament final later that night prior to the main event match-up of Joe Riggs vs. Louis Taylor.

From Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker:
"We are going to fast-track these four talented prospects in a quest to determine the best in this deep women's division. Having all four women square off on one night with the chance to separate themselves from the pack is what Strikeforce Challengers is all about."
Should be interesting.

Stay tuned to MMAmania.com for more information on Strikeforce Challengers X as it becomes available

And MMAJournalist:

Strikeforce has just announced that they'll be holding a one-night, four-person tournament in their 135-pound female division for their August 13th event. That's right, a four-person tournament, and it's stocked with notables like submission studdettes Miesha Tate and Hitomi Akano and fiesty Brazilian Carina Damm (Finnish fighter Maiju Kujala rounds out the brackets, but I know nothing about her). In terms of excitement, this is great news, and in terms of making women's MMA something worth caring about, this is a big freakin' deal. Everyone knows Gina Carano and Cris Cyborg, but there's a lot more to the sport than those two ladies, and with Roxy and Sarah Kaufman fighting on Friday, Marloes Coenen getting the winner, and the tournament winner getting the title shot after thatů well, that's a lot of storyline created right before our eyes. BodogFIGHT did a decent job of making us give a crap about female MMA, but Strikeforce's upcoming bouts and tournament are practically reaching into our colons and taking the crap from us. And I mean that in a good way.

logrus
07-22-2010, 07:27 PM
No Gina? Well I ain't gonna watch it...

VCURamFan
07-22-2010, 07:41 PM
No Gina? Well I ain't gonna watch it...
Yeah right! Like Gina could make it down to 135!! :laugh:

To quote Jim Carry: "135? Yeah . . . in your BRA!!" :happy0198:

Neezar
07-23-2010, 04:15 AM
Nobody cares, huh? :unsure-1:

J.B.
07-23-2010, 06:20 AM
I was surprised to hear they are doing this.

I am also surprised that this is happening at Dodge Theatre. Definitely more of a concert setup, but that also makes it interesting and tickets are dirt cheap. I have a few buddies who keep asking me to go, I just can't say that the card really has me interested. It's great to see a bigger promotion come to Phoenix, but it's still a bit of letdown in terms of how big MMA is here when you consider that we have never had a real big headliner type of fight from the top dogs here. It's frustrating to see this market get passed up by the UFC for cities like Oakland, Memphis, and Portland, or to go to Ohio like a million times.

County Mike
07-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Yay womenz!

VCURamFan
07-23-2010, 11:35 AM
I was surprised to hear they are doing this.

I am also surprised that this is happening at Dodge Theatre. Definitely more of a concert setup, but that also makes it interesting and tickets are dirt cheap. I have a few buddies who keep asking me to go, I just can't say that the card really has me interested. It's great to see a bigger promotion come to Phoenix, but it's still a bit of letdown in terms of how big MMA is here when you consider that we have never had a real big headliner type of fight from the top dogs here. It's frustrating to see this market get passed up by the UFC for cities like Oakland, Memphis, and Portland, or to go to Ohio like a million times.
I understand what you mean. The only time the UFC came to Virginia, they passed on Richmond in favor of Alexandria. :muttering:

J.B.
07-23-2010, 05:51 PM
I understand what you mean. The only time the UFC came to Virginia, they passed on Richmond in favor of Alexandria. :muttering:

Or for instance, UFC 87 in Minneapolis.

I get it, Brock is the hometown guy. Still, they had him fight Herring, and it wasn't even the Main Event. They still gave them GSP vs Fitch too.

Mesa Arizona is bigger than Minneapolis, and Miami Florida for that matter. That's not even Phoenix.

Now, I know it's not always easy to work out logistically, and I'm sure that UFC will get here, I'm just sayin...:laugh:

logrus
07-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Or for instance, UFC 87 in Minneapolis.

I get it, Brock is the hometown guy. Still, they had him fight Herring, and it wasn't even the Main Event. They still gave them GSP vs Fitch too.

Mesa Arizona is bigger than Minneapolis, and Miami Florida for that matter. That's not even Phoenix.

Now, I know it's not always easy to work out logistically, and I'm sure that UFC will get here, I'm just sayin...:laugh:

IL gets a card before you do JB =P

J.B.
07-23-2010, 07:42 PM
IL gets a card before you do JB =P

I was in Chicago when they came there. :wink:

But I didn't feel like paying 100 bucks to sit on the roof of Allstate Arena.

I also wouldn't have had any fun listening to a bunch of drunk south-siders boo Anderson Silva. :laugh: