PDA

View Full Version : Just An Observation

BamaGrits84
07-20-2010, 09:44 PM
I used to play softball when I was a teenager (about 10-12 years ago) and my mom bought all my equipment. Well now I've decided to play on our church co-ed league and I'm looking at bats, gloves, bat bags, and batting gloves and I realzied things are way more expensive when we have to buy them ourselves! I wish my mommy still bought my stuff! :cry:

It's not just sports stuff. It's clothes and tuition and 500,000 other things. I hope my kids don't say one word today about being ready to grow up or I might cry and beg them never to say that again so they don't end up like me so fast...desperately searching ebay for a bat because instead of getting the $300 you want you have to pay the cost of growing up - like power, food, and daycare.

MattHughesRocks
07-21-2010, 04:05 AM
Get a second job perhaps? That's what I would do :)

J.B.
07-21-2010, 04:39 AM
Not sure if you have a "Play it Again Sports" anywhere around where you live, but they sell used stuff that always pretty reasonable.

Or, and this may sound silly, but I happened to be looking the other day and even Wal-Mart has some decent stuff for cheap. I usually shop at Sports Authority for balls, clothes, and workout gear, and the last time I looked at the price of bats and gloves at that place I definitely felt some sticker shock, lol

MattHughesRocks
07-21-2010, 04:45 AM
I remember dumping a brand new pair of roller blades at one of these places because they made me fall down...at the beach...in front of everyone :angry:
You can get almost brand new stuff for cheap! :w00t:

Not sure if you have a "Play it Again Sports" anywhere around where you live, but they sell used stuff that always pretty reasonable.

Or, and this may sound silly, but I happened to be looking the other day and even Wal-Mart has some decent stuff for cheap. I usually shop at Sports Authority for balls, clothes, and workout gear, and the last time I looked at the price of bats and gloves at that place I definitely felt some sticker shock, lol

J.B.
07-21-2010, 05:10 AM
I remember dumping a brand new pair of roller blades at one of these places because they made me fall down...at the beach...in front of everyone :angry:
You can get almost brand new stuff for cheap! :w00t:

Lollerblades...

http://www.impactinnovation.co.uk/images/rollerblader.jpg

:laugh:

I remember the first time I put on rollerblades thinking that because I could Ice Skate that I would just take off running. I ended up on my butt, lol

MattHughesRocks
07-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Well I was a very good ice & roller skater in the 7th & 8th grade. I don't know what the problem was:mellow:

Lollerblades...

http://www.impactinnovation.co.uk/images/rollerblader.jpg

I remember the first time I put on rollerblades thinking that because I could Ice Skate that I would just take off running. I ended up on my butt, lol

County Mike
07-21-2010, 12:06 PM
I just use someone else's bat from the team. Let them drop the loot.

As for inline skating - I rock! Better at ice skating though, thanks to many many years of ice hockey.

BamaGrits84
07-21-2010, 03:13 PM
I just use someone else's bat from the team. Let them drop the loot.

As for inline skating - I rock! Better at ice skating though, thanks to many many years of ice hockey.

But they won't buy the cute pink Bass one I want. Nike should have a pink softball bat. Nike bats aren't that expensive but none of them are the colors I want.

And just wondering does anyone know the differences between fast and slow pitch gloves?

BamaGrits84
07-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Get a second job perhaps? That's what I would do :)

It's not that serious. I'm not going to take time away from my kids to get a second job just so I can have a pretty bat.

County Mike
07-21-2010, 03:17 PM
But they won't buy the cute pink Bass one I want.

Women! :frantics:

BamaGrits84
07-21-2010, 03:22 PM
:frantics:

Hey how'd my husband get a smiliey made after him? :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
07-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Not even for a pink one? :scared0015:

It's not that serious. I'm not going to take time away from my kids to get a second job just so I can have a pretty bat.

VCURamFan
07-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Not even for a pink one? :scared0015:
I know, right? I'd do just about anything to get a pink one. :Whistle: :devil:

BamaGrits84
07-21-2010, 05:15 PM

That's not nice. :angry:

It's not like only the pink one is expensive. All of the good ones are. But if I were going to pay that kind of money for one I'd want it to look like I'd like for it too. How if you think a $299 pink bat is bad you should see website where you can customize your own mizuno gloves for $175!

VCURamFan
07-21-2010, 05:26 PM
That's not nice. :angry:
Sorry. :ashamed: :cry:

J.B.
07-21-2010, 05:38 PM
The $300 bat thing has me cracking up because I can't stop thinking of Jim Rome....:laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMfqbR8Ujlk

J.B.
07-21-2010, 05:42 PM
And just wondering does anyone know the differences between fast and slow pitch gloves?

Basically nothing.

The fast pitch gloves are a little wider with more padding, but the difference isn't much.

MattHughesRocks
07-21-2010, 06:11 PM
:fryingpan:

BamaGrits84
07-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Sorry. :ashamed: :cry:

That's ok. I still love you. :wink:

VCURamFan
07-21-2010, 09:50 PM
:fryingpan:What???? :innocent: :angel:

That's ok. I still love you. :wink:
YAY!!!! :happydancing:

Tyburn
07-21-2010, 11:36 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Did you know the cost of living is almost double over here in England :unsure-1:

My money went for MILES in the US even in the big cities :w00t:

but I never tried buying a pink bat :ashamed:

J.B.
07-22-2010, 12:33 AM

Dave, when you come back to the states, you need to come out west. I feel bad that we didn't get to hang out when you were in Chicago because I ended up having to move back to Arizona.

I seriously would love to take you to a game, be it baseball, basketball, or American Football, and get your reaction to the way we are over here. I think that would be both entertaining and interesting. :)

VCURamFan
07-22-2010, 02:34 AM

Dave, when you come back to the states, you need to come out west. I feel bad that we didn't get to hang out when you were in Chicago because I ended up having to move back to Arizona.

I seriously would love to take you to a game, be it baseball, basketball, or American Football, and get your reaction to the way we are over here. I think that would be both entertaining and interesting. :)
Ooo, make sure he gets to see a drunken fight! :punch:

Tyburn
07-22-2010, 12:34 PM

Arizona is on my list for 2012 ADT3 :w00t: clear your diary for mid march of that year :laugh: I'll be in touch :ninja:

My key states for ADT3 2012 are Virginia Florida, Alabama, Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, Nevada California Washington State Idaho, Illinois. Obviously I wont get off the train in some states...but I plan on my biggest tour yet.

ADT4 will follw in 2013 but that will just be a short couple of days around new york and new jersey.

Then I think my American Dreams will be more or less complete :)

BamaGrits84
07-22-2010, 03:37 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Did you know the cost of living is almost double over here in England :unsure-1:

My money went for MILES in the US even in the big cities :w00t:

Wonder if bats cost more or less over there...maybe you could check for me?

MattHughesRocks
07-22-2010, 04:02 PM
The last time I was at Dodger stadium I spent the whole freakin' time trying to explain baseball to an English lady. They don't even have baseball there :blink:
Doubt they have a pink bat :laugh:

BamaGrits84
07-22-2010, 04:17 PM
The last time I was at Dodger stadium I spent the whole freakin' time trying to explain baseball to an English lady. They don't even have baseball there :blink:
Doubt they have a pink bat :laugh:

I was wondering about that.

Tyburn
07-22-2010, 09:15 PM

I assume you mean a cricket bat :huh: I can go look in the sports shops if you want me too :w00t:

MattHughesRocks
07-22-2010, 11:32 PM
I told you Bamagrits :laugh:

I was wondering about that.

I assume you mean a cricket bat :huh: I can go look in the sports shops if you want me too :w00t:

Tyburn
07-22-2010, 11:35 PM
I told you Bamagrits :laugh:

well...we call cricket bats and baseball bats the same things...I assume they are...but we dont play baseball, just like England doesnt do wrestling either...those sports are practically non existant over here...Baseball, never, wrestling, only in some kind of special gymnasium :unsure-1:

Sorry...I could still look for bats though :ashamed:

BamaGrits84
07-23-2010, 01:52 PM

:huh: Cricket? You mean those bugs I've squashed all over my office that make that annoying sound all day long?

Tyburn
07-23-2010, 05:27 PM
:huh: Cricket? You mean those bugs I've squashed all over my office that make that annoying sound all day long?

:rolleyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsjbkOX7gUA :laugh:

VCURamFan
07-23-2010, 05:28 PM
:rolleyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsjbkOX7gUA :laugh:
Wow, your version's even more annoying! :blink: