PDA

View Full Version : NAACP racism caught on tape

Play The Man
07-20-2010, 09:54 AM
http://wcbstv.com/topstories/tea.party.naacp.2.1812710.html

Last Tuesday, the NAACP passed a resolution condemning racism in the Tea Party movement. The organization's delegates called on Tea Party leaders to "repudiate those in their ranks who use racist language in their signs and speeches."

Tea Party members and supporters saw the resolution as a condemnation of the group itself, which calls for fiscal responsibility, restrictions on governmental power, and backs political candidates who claim the same.

The NAACP's action caught the attention of Andrew Breitbart of BigGovernment.com, who said the controversy was "absolutely manufactured for political gain," in a summer "in which the economy is the number one issue affecting blacks and whites in this country. This country can ill afford the schism of race to be exploited the way [he is] based upon the false premise of the Tea Party being racist."

He also claimed to possess recorded evidence of racism from the NAACP.

On Monday, Breitbart posted a video of a speech by Shirley Sherrod, USDA Rural Development Georgia State Director, delivered at the NAACP's 20th Annual Freedom Fund Banquet.

The video shows Sherrod speaking of racial considerations being a factor for how much help she would give.

"The first time I was faced with having to help a white farmer save his farm, he took a long time talking but he was trying to show me he was superior to me. I know what he was doing, but he had come to me for help. What he didn't know while he was taking all that time trying to show me he was superior to me was, I was trying to decide just how much help I was going to give him," Sherrod said.

"I was struggling with the fact that so many black people had lost their farmland, and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough," Sherrod said. "So that when he, I assumed the Department of Agriculture had sent him to me, either that or the Georgia Department of Agriculture, and he needed to go back and report that I did try to help him."

In the video, Sherrod also spoke of referring the white farmer to a white lawyer, thinking the latter would be more sympathetic because of race. "So I took him to a white lawyer that had attended some of training that we had provided because Chapter 12 bankruptcy had just been enacted for the family farm. So I figured if I take him to one of them, that his own kind would take care of him."

The NAACP had no immediate response Monday.

Miss Foxy
07-20-2010, 03:58 PM
No surprise to me! It sucks that we live in a world where we are all defined by our color, pocketbook, and looks. I swear makes me so mad....:punch:

Neezar
07-20-2010, 10:26 PM
I saw the clip where she said that. I heard she resigned. I wonder what she's going to tell her next prospective employer when they ask, "Why did you leave your last job?" I doubt she'll tell the truth, "Because I'm a racist and they caught me on video bragging about it."

There is no excuses for people like that. :angry:

flo
07-21-2010, 01:24 AM
Thank God for Andrew Breitbart.

flo
07-21-2010, 01:51 AM
NAACP has issued 2 statements. Here is their first reaction.
"We are appalled by her actions, just as we are with abuses of power against farmers of color and female farmers," the statement said.

"Her actions were shameful," it continued. "While she went on to explain in the story that she ultimately realized her mistake, as well as the common predicament of working people of all races, she gave no indication she had attempted to right the wrong she had done to this man."

And their most current reaction.
The NAACP said in a statement Tuesday that it was "snookered by Fox News" and conservative website publisher Andrew Breitbart.

"Having reviewed the full tape by Shirley Sherrod, who is the woman who was fired by the Department of Agriculture, and most importantly heard the testimony of the white farmers mentioned in this story, we now believe that the organization that edited the documents did so with the intention of deceiving millions of Americans," the statement from NAACP President Benjamin Jealous said.

Jealous later posted on his Twitter account that he "Spoke to Ms. Sherrod earlier today and personally apologized. Plan to meet with her face-to-face the next time I'm in Georgia."

The organization also urged Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack to reconsider Sherrod's resignation from her post as the department's director of rural development for Georgia.

Breitbart originally posted the video, which was quickly picked up by Fox News.

This is CNN's spin. Note how they join NAACP in their characterization of FNC.

Agriculture secy says this:
Vilsack told CNN on Tuesday that he "didn't speak to anyone at the White House. ... I made this decision, it's my decision. Nobody from the White House contacted me about this at all."

Sherrod has been all over the airwaves saying the DoA spokeswoman told her the "White House said she (Sherrod) must resign immediately".

Look how CBS spins it:

Sherrod submitted her resignation after she became the focus of scrutiny from Fox News and conservative blogs over remarks she gave at an NAACP Freedom Fund Banquet on March 27. A video of a portion of her remarks were posted on a conservative blog, giving the impression that Sherrod admitted to discriminating against a white farmer as an employee of the USDA.

The most troubling thing to me is the media dishonesty. They are trying to make this story about FNC and Breitbart instead of the double standard at the NAACP. Same with the New Black Panther case; the problem wasn't with the DoJ policy - it was with the whistleblower...er...make that the "conservative appointee/activist with an agenda".

Bonnie
07-21-2010, 03:01 AM
You are so right, Flo. Breitbart told Hannity that his piece wasn't about Sherrod it was supposed to be about the NAACP's hipocrisy in calling the Tea Party racist.

Racism is not limited to white people. The NAACP opened this can of worms calling the Tea Party racist. I'm sure there are some calling themselves tea partiers and using the Tea Party's coat tails for their own racist agenda, but that's not what the Tea Party stands for. But I think that's the point of the NAACP doing this--to distract from the real issues they stand for that affect all Americans. I think this is all for political reasons--getting ready for 2012 for Obama's re-election run. :wink:

They reported tonight how the media stuffed the whole Jeremiah Wright story in order to protect Obama during his presidential campaign. And I think they are still doing it--not reporting on stories that could possibly hurt Obama. How these people in the media today call themselves journalists with a straight face, I'll never know.

flo
07-21-2010, 06:34 AM
Bonnie, I'm hoping there are some wild cats majoring in journalism that will strive towards impartiality and will soon be in a position to bring more integrity to that profession.

Bonnie
07-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Bonnie, I'm hoping there are some wild cats majoring in journalism that will strive towards impartiality and will soon be in a position to bring more integrity to that profession.

Arghhhh! :rolleyes: I was just trying to edit my last post and went to look something up and lost it so I'll just say it here, Flo.

I was just watching Glen Beck and he was talking about Ms. Sherrod and what's happened to her since this video or rather parts of this video came out. He mentioned that this meeting with the farmer actually happened 24 years ago and she's now friends with the farmer. So this supports what she's been saying today about that part of the story about what she learned is it's not about black or white but about the poor and those that have. We still don't have the whole story because we haven't seen the whole video of her speech in it's entirety. Apparently the NAACP has the video but won't release it so all of us can see it in it's entirety.

I feel bad for commenting on her and what she said in the video now that I realize we don't have the "whole" story behind what she was saying. :ashamed: But in my and anyone else's defense this is what happens when the media cuts and pastes the parts that "they" want us to see instead of reporting the whole story and letting us decide for ourselves.

Both liberal and conservative reporters/stations are guilty of this--it's not just one-sided. You know in that last presidential campaign/election period, I was so disgusted by what was happening in/with the media and how they were leaning/distorting/commenting with their own views and opinions instead of just reporting that for the first time in my life I seriously considered not voting. I was that disillusioned and disheartened, really just sickened by that whole spectacle. :sad: But, I did vote. :wink:

Anyways, I felt bad for my earlier comments when I realized they were based on partial soundbites and apparently taken out of context. :wink: If that incident from 24 years ago changed her thinking and attitudes in dealing with different races, then I commend her. And I agree with Beck, she shouldn't have been fired. If we ever see the whole video in it's original state maybe we'll know the truth of the matter.

flo
07-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Bonnie, I did know that she was using the story to illustrate that one needs to deal fairly with both blacks and whites (I hadn't seen the entire tape yet). I still think it's a racial slur to say "let his own help him. She used that term twice. Kind of like "you people".

But you are right, we need to see the whole tape to put it all in context. Here it is:

http://www.naacp.org/news/entry/video_sherrod/

Although I found it is still edited at 21:00 so I have no idea what they left out.

It was certainly taken out of context by playing just a short clip. However, everything quoted in PTM's post is absolutely true and the only one calling for her firing/resignation was the White House.

flo
07-21-2010, 07:55 AM
If that incident from 24 years ago changed her thinking and attitudes in dealing with different races, then I commend her. And I agree with Beck, she shouldn't have been fired. If we ever see the whole video in it's original state maybe we'll know the truth of the matter.

I commend her too for changing her attitude.

Neezar
07-21-2010, 11:11 AM
There is no excuses for people like that. :angry:

I actually typed out a post questioning the possible reasons behind her quotes. I even thought that there must be more to the story and went back to reread the original post, got disgusted and changed my post to the above. :laugh:

I actually do feel better knowing that there was a rest of the story.

Bonnie
07-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Bonnie, I did know that she was using the story to illustrate that one needs to deal fairly with both blacks and whites (I hadn't seen the entire tape yet). I still think it's a racial slur to say "let his own help him. She used that term twice. Kind of like "you people".

But you are right, we need to see the whole tape to put it all in context. Here it is:

http://www.naacp.org/news/entry/video_sherrod/

Although I found it is still edited at 21:00 so I have no idea what they left out.

It was certainly taken out of context by playing just a short clip. However, everything quoted in PTM's post is absolutely true and the only one calling for her firing/resignation was the White House.

Thanks for posting the video, Flo. I don't know why Breitbart chose to use this as his example because quite frankly I think it's a lousy example of racism and the NAACP. After watching it and hearing it within the context it was intended to be taken, I found nothing she said to be racist. Was she thinking with a prejudiced heart and mind when that white farmer came to her for help and did she initially act with that prejudice, yes. Did something better come out of all that, yes. What was she leading up to with her story of so long ago--that people (all people) need to work together, come together to get rid of the things that divide us by race. And that's what should be taken from that part of her speech.

Were the words quoted in the post (from her speech) true, yes. But were they used to convey the truth, no. So instead of showing the NAACP's racism and hipocrisy, Breitbart's story is going to end up giving the NAACP some real truth (this time) to milk for everything it's worth. :wink: Oh, joy! :rolleyes:

It sounded like from what I heard it came down from the WH to get rid of her, but the USDA guy acted like it was his decision. Either way, she was unfairly judged and convicted. The last thing I saw last night is that she might be reinstated.

donaldbreland
07-21-2010, 06:27 PM
N.A.A.C.P = The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People

In the famous words of Forrest Gump. That's all I gotta say about that.

Neezar
07-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks for posting the video, Flo. I don't know why Breitbart chose to use this as his example because quite frankly I think it's a lousy example of racism and the NAACP. After watching it and hearing it within the context it was intended to be taken, I found nothing she said to be racist. Was she thinking with a prejudiced heart and mind when that white farmer came to her for help and did she initially act with that prejudice, yes. Did something better come out of all that, yes. What was she leading up to with her story of so long ago--that people (all people) need to work together, come together to get rid of the things that divide us by race. And that's what should be taken from that part of her speech.

Were the words quoted in the post (from her speech) true, yes. But were they used to convey the truth, no. So instead of showing the NAACP's racism and hipocrisy, Breitbart's story is going to end up giving the NAACP some real truth (this time) to milk for everything it's worth. :wink: Oh, joy! :rolleyes:

It sounded like from what I heard it came down from the WH to get rid of her, but the USDA guy acted like it was his decision. Either way, she was unfairly judged and convicted. The last thing I saw last night is that she might be reinstated.

Well in his defense when the audience (NAACP members) were not aware of the ending of the story they were laughing and enjoying her story of withholding help from a white man. She supposedly vindicated herself by learning from that mistake. Not true with the audience (NAACP members). They were actively cheering the racism on!

Now imagine a white person making a speech and downtalking a black person (or even just using the 'N' word) and the audience cheering. :unsure-1: Oh! Someone would have hell to pay!

(And I still think she shouldn't get her job back. She still discriminated.)

donaldbreland
07-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Well in his defense when the audience (NAACP members) were not aware of the ending of the story they were laughing and enjoying her story of withholding help from a white man. She supposedly vindicated herself by learning from that mistake. Not true with the audience (NAACP members). They were actively cheering the racism on!

Now imagine a white person making a speech and downtalking a black person (or even just using the 'N' word) and the audience cheering. :unsure-1: Oh! Someone would have hell to pay!

(And I still think she shouldn't get her job back. She still discriminated.)

That's because white people aren't allowed to say what we want to. If we say something out of line then we are all racist but when a black man calls us names then it's years of revenge and they are allowed to say it. I call Bull Crap. I think more blacks in this country are way more racist than whites. The South is filled with way more black racist people anyway. I think the organization N.A.A.C.P is the most racist group out there. They are way more racist than the KKK or the skin heads. I am sick and tired of all these black people these days hollering racism and how they were slaves. Matter of fact. They were never slaves and anyone they knew were ever slaves. I here them complain all the time about how they were mistreated. I don't recall a million blacks dieing from the Germans or all the Christians being fed to the Lions. What about all the whites that were slaves. What about our P.O.W's of all color. Now they were truly slaves. I am just sick and tired of this crap. This happened 140 years ago and now they have the same opportunity as we have today. Get over it you bunch of cry babies wanting crap for free.

rearnakedchoke
07-22-2010, 06:16 PM
That's because white people aren't allowed to say what we want to. If we say something out of line then we are all racist but when a black man calls us names then it's years of revenge and they are allowed to say it. I call Bull Crap. I think more blacks in this country are way more racist than whites. The South is filled with way more black racist people anyway. I think the organization N.A.A.C.P is the most racist group out there. They are way more racist than the KKK or the skin heads. I am sick and tired of all these black people these days hollering racism and how they were slaves. Matter of fact. They were never slaves and anyone they knew were ever slaves. I here them complain all the time about how they were mistreated. I don't recall a million blacks dieing from the Germans or all the Christians being fed to the Lions. What about all the whites that were slaves. What about our P.O.W's of all color. Now they were truly slaves. I am just sick and tired of this crap. This happened 140 years ago and now they have the same opportunity as we have today. Get over it you bunch of cry babies wanting crap for free.

As always, DB nailed it .... LOL ...

donaldbreland
07-23-2010, 03:58 AM
As always, DB nailed it .... LOL ...

I should have put that this goes for anyone who believes that the N.A.A.C.P is an organization that is truly trying to help. They have their hands so much in 90% of the racism in this country it's not even funny. If I offended anyone trust me that was not my intentions but if you really look at whats going on in the world today then you will see that what I wrote in the above statement is true. Carlos Mencia said it best when he said that Whites can not say whats on their minds even if they are joking. White comedians can't use the N word but Blacks can. It's crazy. I think we are all adults in this world and we should be able to take insults and learn from them. We shouldn't always fire back and holler racism if things don't go our way. Let's get real people. I mean I have took some heat in these rooms but I always learn from it. This is a great place to let steam out and get stuff off our chests. Everyone on this forum is very smart and wise. I thank God for each of you. With that being said I am still upset with what we are taught in our schools about racism. In schools it's always the white people who are devils because our ancestors had slaves. Maybe I'm wrong but I am just sick and tired of the whites being called the racist of the world.