PDA

View Full Version : Majority of Americans lack faith in Obama: new poll

NateR
07-13-2010, 03:28 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100713/us_nm/us_obama_poll

WASHINGTON (Reuters) Nearly 60 percent of American voters say they lack faith in President Barack Obama, according to a public opinion poll published on Tuesday.

The results of the Washington Post/ABC News poll are a reversal of what voters said at the start of Obama's presidency 18 months ago when about 60 percent expressed confidence in his decision making.

Confidence in Obama is at a new low but the poll found that his numbers are still higher than lawmakers of either major party four months ahead of the November congressional elections.

Asked how much confidence they have in Obama to make the right decisions for the country's future, 58 percent of respondents said "just some" or "none."

Sixty-eight percent expressed the same sentiments about Democrats in Congress and 72 percent said the same of Republicans.

The Post said problems in the housing industry, sluggish job growth and other economic issues may have taken a toll on Obama's approval rating.

Just 43 percent of all Americans, including a third of Democrats, now say they approve of the job Obama is doing on the economy, while 54 percent disapprove.

The survey also found wide anti-incumbent sentiment with 62 percent of voters saying they were not inclined to support their current representative.

All 435 seats in the House of Representatives are up for grabs in the November 2 election as well as 36 of the 100 Senate seats.

Democrats now control both houses of Congress, but a slight majority of those polled said they would prefer to have Republicans in control to serve as a check on Obama's policies.

The poll of 1,288 people was conducted July 7-11 and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

(Reporting by JoAnne Allen; editing by Eric Beech)

VCURamFan
07-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Thank you, ABC, for telling us what we already know. :rolleyes:

CAVEMAN
07-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Are the American people starting to wake up?

Rev
07-14-2010, 10:47 PM
I dont look to Glenn Beck for my info, but he tends to make sense sometimes. If you get a chance, check out his show on, "liberation theology". It will open your eyes to a deeper part of Obama. (this post should get some people stirred up)

Tyburn
07-15-2010, 12:54 PM
I just hope you have a new President soon...I dont like how he has handled the oil crisis, I dont like his health reform, I dont like his stance on Israel vs Palestine. I'm not really even as convinced by his public speaking as I used to be.

Miss Foxy
07-15-2010, 05:05 PM
I just hope you have a new President soon...I dont like how he has handled the oil crisis, I dont like his health reform, I dont like his stance on Israel vs Palestine. I'm not really even as convinced by his public speaking as I used to be.

We are stuck with him for a few more years..:sad: However we must pray for this man to make better choices for our country.. * I know far-fetched, but im jus' sayin'* lol:scared0015:

Tyburn
07-15-2010, 06:06 PM
We are stuck with him for a few more years..:sad: However we must pray for this man to make better choices for our country.. * I know far-fetched, but im jus' sayin'* lol:scared0015:

No, you are absolutely right.. Really we should be praying for a blessing, because blessings are not just little gifts from GOD.

There is a good reason why GOD tells us to pray for our enemies, and it works along the same lines. The Blessings GOD gives to his own are usually in the form of gifts...but the Blessings GOD gives to those who are not his own is a certain amount of revelation. This can actually be an extremely powerful and frightening occurance for the one who gets to see more of GOD then usual, particularly if they have denied him...of course Revelation usually leads to conversion, and thats the idea.

I dont know what Barack Obama is...I dont think, in truth, he practises any religion properly. He doesnt act like an Islamic Guy, and disinviting your political adversaries from a prayer breakfast, or giving tonnes of aid to palestine to undermine Israel, doesnt seem a very Christian thing to do either.

The Church of England has some collects for such an occasion, some are uttered daily at the Office of Choral Evensong by way of responses...you can hear Westminster Abbey performing them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW4Xi48cW54 its one of my favourite settings :) You can remoddle the words for your own Hierachy obviously

The Lord be with you: and with thy Spirit
Let us pray
Lord have mercy upon us: Christ have mercy upon us: Lord have Mercy upon us
Our Father....
O lord show thy mercy upon us: and grant us thy Salvation
O Lord Save The Queen: and mercifully hear us when we call upon thee
Endue thy Ministers with Righteousness: and make thy chosen people joyful
O Lord save thy people: and bless thine inheritance
Give peace in our time O Lord: because there is none other that fighteth for us but only thou, O GOD
O Lord make clean our hearts within us: and take not thy Holy Spirit from us.

There is usually sung a selection of collects by the cantor at this point, its traditional to have the collect against all perils, but other then that you can select your own, and there is a vast, vast ocean of collects...some regarding prayers for those in government or power.

O LORD, our heavenly Father, the high and mighty, King of kings, Lord of lords, the only Ruler of princes, who dost from thy throne behold all the dwellers upon earth Most heartily we beseech thee with thy favour to behold our most gracious Sovereign Lady, Queen ELIZABETH; and so replenish her with the grace of thy Holy Spirit, that she may always incline to thy will, and walk in thy way. Endue her plenteously with heavenly gifts; grant her in health and wealth long to live; strengthen her that she may vanquish and overcome all her enemies; and finally, after this life, she may attain everlasting joy and felicity; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

ALMIGHTY God, the fountain of all goodness, we humbly beseech thee to bless Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Charles, Prince of Wales, and the Duchess of Cornwall, and all the Royal Family: Endue them with thy Holy Spirit; enrich them with thy heavenly grace; prosper them with all happiness; and bring them to thine everlasting kingdom; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

Heavenly Father
source of all truth and wisdom, who knows and loves the whole creation,
watch over our nation: that truth may prevail over distortion,
wisdom triumph over recklessness and the concerns of every person be heard.

Lord Jesus,
who chose the way of the cross in the Garden of Gethsemane,
help us to turn our backs on self interest and to support policies that sustain the poor, the vulnerable and the frightened people of this world.

Holy Spirit,
who brought understanding among myriad peoples and languages at Pentecost, give to all your people a passion for peace and inspire us to work for unity and co-operation throughout the world and in our political life together.
Amen.

Make your ways known upon earth, Lord God,
your saving power among all peoples.
Renew your Church in holiness
and help us to serve you with joy.
Guide the leaders of this and every nation,
that justice may prevail throughout the world.
Let not the needy be forgotten,
nor the hope of the poor be taken away.
Make us instruments of your peace
and let your glory be over all the earth.

O GOD our heavenly Father,
whose love sets no boundaries and whose strength is in service;
grant to the leaders of the nations wisdom, courage and insight at this time of darkness and fear. Give to all who exercise authority determination to defend the principles of freedom, love and tolerance, strength to protect and safeguard the innocent and clarity of vision to guide the world into the paths of justice and peace.This we ask through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God grant to the living, grace; to the departed, rest; to the Church, the Queen, the Commonwealth, and all humankind, peace and concord; and to us and all his servants, life everlasting; and the blessing of God almighty, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, be among you and remain with you always. Amen.

Miss Foxy
07-15-2010, 06:07 PM
No, you are absolutely right.. Really we should be praying for a blessing, because blessings are not just little gifts from GOD.

There is a good reason why GOD tells us to pray for our enemies, and it works along the same lines. The Blessings GOD gives to his own are usually in the form of gifts...but the Blessings GOD gives to those who are not his own is a certain amount of revelation. This can actually be an extremely powerful and frightening occurance for the one who gets to see more of GOD then usual, particularly if they have denied him...of course Revelation usually leads to conversion, and thats the idea.

I dont know what Barack Obama is...I dont think, in truth, he practises any religion properly. He doesnt act like an Islamic Guy, and disinviting your political adversaries from a prayer breakfast, or giving tonnes of aid to palestine to undermine Israel, doesnt seem a very Christian thing to do either.

The Church of England has some collects for such an occasion, some are uttered daily at the Office of Choral Evensong by way of responses...you can hear Westminster Abbey performing them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW4Xi48cW54 its one of my favourite settings :) You can remoddle the words for your own Hierachy obviously

The Lord be with you: and with thy Spirit
Let us pray
Lord have mercy upon us: Christ have mercy upon us: Lord have Mercy upon us
Our Father....
O lord show thy mercy upon us: and grant us thy Salvation
O Lord Save The Queen: and mercifully hear us when we call upon thee
Endue thy Ministers with Righteousness: and make thy chosen people joyful
O Lord save thy people: and bless thine inheritance
Give peace in our time O Lord: because there is none other that fighteth for us but only thou, O GOD
O Lord make clean our hearts within us: and take not thy Holy Spirit from us.

There is usually sung a selection of collects by the cantor at this point, its traditional to have the collect against all perils, but other then that you can select your own, and there is a vast, vast ocean of collects...some regarding prayers for those in government or power.

O LORD, our heavenly Father, the high and mighty, King of kings, Lord of lords, the only Ruler of princes, who dost from thy throne behold all the dwellers upon earth Most heartily we beseech thee with thy favour to behold our most gracious Sovereign Lady, Queen ELIZABETH; and so replenish her with the grace of thy Holy Spirit, that she may always incline to thy will, and walk in thy way. Endue her plenteously with heavenly gifts; grant her in health and wealth long to live; strengthen her that she may vanquish and overcome all her enemies; and finally, after this life, she may attain everlasting joy and felicity; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

ALMIGHTY God, the fountain of all goodness, we humbly beseech thee to bless Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Charles, Prince of Wales, and the Duchess of Cornwall, and all the Royal Family: Endue them with thy Holy Spirit; enrich them with thy heavenly grace; prosper them with all happiness; and bring them to thine everlasting kingdom; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

Heavenly Father
source of all truth and wisdom, who knows and loves the whole creation,
watch over our nation: that truth may prevail over distortion,
wisdom triumph over recklessness and the concerns of every person be heard.

Lord Jesus,
who chose the way of the cross in the Garden of Gethsemane,
help us to turn our backs on self interest and to support policies that sustain the poor, the vulnerable and the frightened people of this world.

Holy Spirit,
who brought understanding among myriad peoples and languages at Pentecost, give to all your people a passion for peace and inspire us to work for unity and co-operation throughout the world and in our political life together.
Amen.

Make your ways known upon earth, Lord God,
your saving power among all peoples.
Renew your Church in holiness
and help us to serve you with joy.
Guide the leaders of this and every nation,
that justice may prevail throughout the world.
Let not the needy be forgotten,
nor the hope of the poor be taken away.
Make us instruments of your peace
and let your glory be over all the earth.

O GOD our heavenly Father,
whose love sets no boundaries and whose strength is in service;
grant to the leaders of the nations wisdom, courage and insight at this time of darkness and fear. Give to all who exercise authority determination to defend the principles of freedom, love and tolerance, strength to protect and safeguard the innocent and clarity of vision to guide the world into the paths of justice and peace.This we ask through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God grant to the living, grace; to the departed, rest; to the Church, the Queen, the Commonwealth, and all humankind, peace and concord; and to us and all his servants, life everlasting; and the blessing of God almighty, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, be among you and remain with you always. Amen.

Thanks Dave!! :)

Tyburn
07-15-2010, 06:24 PM
:laugh: I've just had a look, and the US Episcopal branch of Anglicanism has derivatives, including for example the prayer books during the Civil War

So...From the Union Version, here come your very own authorised Collects :w00t:

MOST gracious God, we humbly beseech thee, as for the People of these United States in general, so especially for their Senate and Representatives in Congress assembled; that thou wouldest be pleased to direct and prosper all their consultations, to the advancement of thy Glory, the good of thy Church, the safety, honour, and welfare of thy People; that all things may be so ordered and settled by their endeavours, upon the best and surest foundations, that peace and happiness, truth and justice, religion and piety, may be established among us for all generations. These, and all other necessaries for them, for us, and thy whole Church, we humbly beg in the name and mediation of Jesus Christ, our most blessed Lord and Saviour. Amen.

O ALMIGHTY God, who art a strong tower of defence to those who put their trust in thee, whose power no creature is able to resist, we make our humble cry to thee in this hour of our country's need. Thy property is always to have mercy. Deal not with us according to our sins, neither reward us according to our iniquities; but stretch forth the right hand of thy Majesty, and be our defence for thy name's sake. Have pity upon our brethren who are in arms against the constituted authorities of the land, and show them the error of their way. Shed upon the counsels of our Rulers the spirit of wisdom and moderation and firmness, and unite the hearts of our people as the heart of one man in upholding the supremacy of Law, and the cause of justice and peace. Abate the violence of passion; banish pride and prejudice from every heart, and incline us all to trust in thy righteous Providence, and to be ready for every duty. And oh, that in thy great mercy, thou wouldest hasten the return of unity and concord to our borders, and so order all things that peace and happiiness, truth and justice, religion and piety, may be established among us for all generations. These things, and whatever else thou shalt see to be necessary and convenient for us, we humbly beg through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour. Amen.

O ETERNAL God, through whose mighty power our fathers won their liberties of old; Grant, we beseech thee, that we and all the people of this land may have grace to maintain these liberties in righteousness and peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

:)